• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WildStar |OT| The biggest MMO since the Big Bang

Do you guys see builds that are outside of the "norm" being viable?

Do you think this is really a game where you can play how you want to and be able to be successful in PvE/PvP? It seems like staying alive in Wildstar is more important than having a core WoW rotation.

All of the promotional material keeps putting a lot of emphasis on playing your way, including combat. But if playing your way just means your DPS is going to be shit and nobody will let you raid, that's a concern. It'd be boring to have a 40 man raid with five DPS warriors all doing the same exact thing. :/

Hubb

Saw that, going to wait until monday after the clusterfuck that will be launch to make sure I am not locked out

I did test it..and had weird issue. So for those that do use it

If you get "Invalid Username or Password" you need to close the client completely. I purposely entered the wrong code once and then a valid one many times afterwards and would stay locked out. Closing the client made it work on the first try

Thanks for the heads up, maybe waiting would have made more sense. Should be fun slamming the servers early Saturday.

Do you think this is really a game where you can play how you want to and be able to be successful in PvE/PvP? It seems like staying alive in Wildstar is more important than having a core WoW rotation.

All of the promotional material keeps putting a lot of emphasis on playing your way, including combat. But if playing your way just means your DPS is going to be shit and nobody will let you raid, that's a concern. It'd be boring to have a 40 man raid with five DPS warriors all doing the same exact thing. :/

I think there's a lot of room for experimentation. Since you can go hybrid, or spec yourself across multiple AMP trees, you have a lot of potential builds. Let's say we're struggling a bit with heals in a dungeon, but we don't want another full healer. We can have someone go hybrid heals/dps and supply a bit of both. The hybrid tree also tends to lend itself to a completely different playstyle.

Guesong

Praise the sun!

I tried with the Microsoft-supplied Authenticator at first but that wasn't working. Didn't know there was an alternate app that could do the job.

Jira

Amusing that they buffed KV when people already complained it was too hard to begin with. Will be funny to watch people complain even more now.

Ferny

Just picked this up on GMG. Downloading now so it will be ready for this weekend.
2530058-ijfsxpexd7crt.gif

Mastamind

Amusing that they buffed KV when people already complained it was too hard to begin with. Will be funny to watch people complain even more now.

KV was stupid easy compared to STL. As a medic i had focus issues on the second boss of STL but nothing in KV even stressed my focus. I ran with pugs and wiped in both places but it seems the thing we had the most trouble with in KV were the female npcs near the end of the instance something maidens, i think.

Adent

Can't manage for sh!t
Finally bought the game today. Does anyone have info on joining the Neo Empire Guild on Orias PVE?

KV was stupid easy compared to STL. As a medic i had focus issues on the second boss of STL but nothing in KV even stressed my focus. I ran with pugs and wiped in both places but it seems the thing we had the most trouble with in KV were the female npcs near the end of the instance something maidens, i think.
Yeah, DPS really need to learn how to interrupt. It's just unfortunate they have to stress this fact in a dungeon on a standard mob rather than elsewhere early on.

TheYanger

It's inevitable that there is a 'best dps' build in any game. The notion that you can just be a unique butterfly and still do the same numbers as someone else has never been true in any game. That said, when your 'required' dps build only takes half of your buttons or less, you have a LOT of room for experimentation and preference. Or even changing things on a fight by fight basis, which is where the smarter player will really shine. Just like how better wow players know when and how to vary their rotations, but in this case it's that and a combination of which abilities will be beneficial.

Ferny

Finally bought the game today. Does anyone have info on joining the Neo Empire Guild on Orias PVE?

There's a spreadsheet going around. Tharpster is leading the guild, not sure on how he's handling the launch and all that just yet.

So how does combat actually work in this game? Is it free targeting like Tera was?
Not exactly. The vast majority of abilities hit 1-5 things in an area in front of you which must be aimed. Some abilities hit the nearest thing in front of you or have some alternate method of determining targeting, like some medic fields that are ground-targeted. I think some of the healing abilities are targeted "normally" like things in WoW.

Mastamind

I can't seem to find what server we're playing on for North American GAF. Can anyone post it/them for me?

From the OP.

Do we have a GAF guild? Other member's guilds?
Sure do.
Neo Empire, run by TharpDaddy. US, Dominion, PVE server Orias, jack-of-all-trades focus. This guild is a sister guild of our very own GW2 guild. They're letting us use their Mumble and forums.
Paradoxical, represented by piratepwnsninja. US, Exiles, PVE server Mikros, weekend-focused raid guild but accepts people from all walks of life.
Acolytes represented by Somnia. US, Dominion, PVP server X, jack-of-all-trades focus. Long standing community spanning many years and games.​

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Uhhh... is a third-party app really a good idea for security authenticators??

Google's is widely used and recommended by Microsoft among others as the go-to solution when there's no in-house constructed app. It's also open source so you can disect the code if wanted. It's all based on RSA OTP protocols regardless, which we know the NSA has a backdoor into so it's up to you how much tinfoil you have around the house. :)

---

Asking again, EU guild? :( Nothing in the OP about that, is nobody taking the initiative?

docbon

I agree with this. KV felt a lot easier to tank. The only thing that might be difficult for parties is the DoT that the darkwitches place on you. For that, you just need to watch for when she knocks the staff against the ground, then have everyone stack for a healer cleanse.

Arksy

Is the rouge class (forgot the name) a decent tank?

I felt that Warrior was good fun but a bit underpowered. Engineer felt like the most boring class in the game.

docbon

Is the rouge class (forgot the name) a decent tank?

I felt that Warrior was good fun but a bit underpowered. Engineer felt like the most boring class in the game.

In terms of numbers, I heard the warrior was the worst of the three, though I haven't checked on the patch changes. There have been a few instances where I've struggled to hold aggro where the other tank classes would be fine, but I was able to clear both level 20 dungeons multiple times. Also had a lot of fun doing it, too.

fedexpeon

Banned
So is this MMO semi-hardcore enough for me?
I have like 2-3 hrs of play time usually to play but my mentality is of a hardcore raider, yet I can't invest that much time into the game =(.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Bah, I used your code and got 22% off (Thanks for that), but when I went to register the code GMG sent me it says it's expired. Been a rough day, I'm way too old and tired for further frustration.

Oh ouch dude, that sucks :( I got mine pretty much instantly and plugged it in, worked fine. Sure it wasn't misspelled at all?

Uthred

Been a while since I played an MMO that allowed add-ons, its early but are there any that are de rigueur already?

Looking forward to it being like the glory days of WoW where I spend hours tweaking my UI and then have so many add-ons it feels like theyre playing the game for me ;)

Arksy

Two questions;

Can I continue with the beta client into retail?, and;

Are there any more betas before headstart?

DrBo42

Two questions;

Can I continue with the beta client into retail?, and;

Are there any more betas before headstart?

Yes and no. This is OPS week however so the server might be up the next two days as Carbine does final testing/prep for launch. Not actually a "beta" though.

Dunlop

Thanks for the heads up, maybe waiting would have made more sense. Should be fun slamming the servers early Saturday.

You can easily remove it from your account, but it is just me being over cautious.

I have to get up at 3am saturday to make sure I can be on the same server as my guild...I wan't to make extra sure that I can login!

Once I see everything is smooth I will add it back sunday or monday

There was a 440mb patch when I launched the client this morning

Top Bottom