• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WildStar |OT| The biggest MMO since the Big Bang

Jag

Addons I use

AMPPurchased: Shows you where you can go buy amps within the zone
AuraMastery: Still playing with this one, but you can set it to pop an icon up to tell you when to use abilities after a crit, etc.
BetterQuestLog: Just organizes quests better imo
BijiPlates: Better name plates
ClassicQuestDialog: Adds all the dialog to one window and 1 click to take quest
Galaxy Library: can view gear
GalaxyMeter: DPS log
IconLoot: Adds icons on the screen when you loot, makes it better to see what youre looting
Interruptor: Tells you when you can interrupt spells, not interrupt, etc
JunkIt: Sells junk gear auto
NavMate: Makes better icons on minmap
SpaceStash: Better inventory options and look
Threatmeter: uh duh
TrackMaster: You can track quests and harvest nodes, adds dot line on your screen to it

Nice list. Any idea if there will be a way to auto-loot via an addon?

Ferny

That's good and all, but I don't always remember to hit V in order to do it. It would be nice to have an addon that just does it for you.

Sweet Ivy

Question:
do you think it will be possible to pay with in-game currency without spending a lot on game time for the task?

Like, how many play hours could take to gather enough gold to pay for the subscription?
I'm not a MMORPG player and would prolly enjoy it only sporadically (hence paying the sub wouldn't be worth it), but I love the setting and the style and would like to give it a try.

Einbroch

Banned
Question:
do you think it will be possible to pay with in-game currency without spending a lot on game time for the task?

Like, how many play hours could take to gather enough gold to pay for the subscription?
I'm not a MMORPG player and would prolly enjoy it sporadically, but I would love to try the setting.

Very unlikely. It's going to be expensive. Work an extra hour at your job or do some data entry work. You'll likely save a lot of time.

aka_bueno

That's good and all, but I don't always remember to hit V in order to do it. It would be nice to have an addon that just does it for you.

It's already amazingly easy and lazy, lol. Just keep at it. I don't even stop to loot after killing. Just move on to the next mob and loot during combat it's so easy and efficient. And has a suprisingly wide radius. It's become 2nd nature I don't even realize I'm doing it anymore heh.

Somnia

It's already amazingly easy and lazy, lol. Just keep at it. I don't even stop to loot after killing. Just move on to the next mob and loot during combat it's so easy and efficient. And has a suprisingly wide radius. It's become 2nd nature I don't even realize I'm doing it anymore heh.

You underestimate how lazy ferny needs things

Ferny

I want addons that just do everything for me, but I get all the credit! I don't think that's unreasonable at all.

Don't say bots!

StMeph

Question:

I'm not a MMORPG player and would prolly enjoy it only sporadically (hence paying the sub wouldn't be worth it), but I love the setting and the style and would like to give it a try.

It's going to be other players selling the game time credit (AND it costs more, it seems, at $20 vs $15 based on subscription rates), so unless they're willing to part with it for 2 hours of in-game farming, it's going to take much more than that. I don't think that's a realistic expectation. It's really an option for people who play the game all day, or if you're financially inclined and play the AH/CX during your game time instead.

Ferny

I think as you play and people get to cap and start raiding, the price will go down and stablize itself out. There will be a big spike at launch though.

JLeack

Banned
Hey guys. I just received my press kit and it included an infographic that's worth checking out. These are the most accurate path and race statistics you will find pre-release.

WildStar Infographic: 1.6 Million Characters in Closed Beta, Most Popular Races and Paths
http://www.craveonline.com/gaming/a...in-closed-beta-most-popular-races-and-classes

And now there's also an official guide.

WildStar: Official Guide to Nexus
http://www.craveonline.com/gaming/articles/697051-wildstar-official-guide-to-nexus

Sweet Ivy

It's going to be other players selling the game time credit (AND it costs more, it seems, at $20 vs $15 based on subscription rates), so unless they're willing to part with it for 2 hours of in-game farming, it's going to take much more than that. I don't think that's a realistic expectation. It's really an option for people who play the game all day, or if you're financially inclined and play the AH/CX during your game time instead.
Yes, that's actually what I'd guess, especially at the beginning.
Two hours a month of farming would be easy... to easy!

Well, I'm not in a rush, it would be interesting to have some stats about this once the game is out.

I think as you play and people get to cap and start raiding, the price will go down and stablize itself out. There will be a big spike at launch though.
Very likely, but it's probably going to take a few good months!

Einbroch

Banned
Well, rolling on Pergo. My brother is rolling there with a few buds, and I love being on the most populated server. Hope to see you there!

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area

really? I expect the exact opposite to be true.

In WoW at launch, 100-400g was a TON of money and could take days of farming to acquire. Now just running dailies you can probably clear 400-1000g per day.

I would be shocked if this is any different. At launch what you get for a CREDD will probably be trivial compared to what you get for one say two years down the road. of course that is because of gold devaluation not CREDD devaluation.

With that being said... yes, 2 hours of farming is likely a ridiculous expectation. The way they put it on the official website is about the gist of it. People with way more time than money will be the buyers of this stuff.

Based on typical RMT rates of other games... and comfortable f2p standards... I would guess probably around 80-120 hours of mid-range/casual gold generating activities or 1/4 that for honest to goodness gold farming (so 20-30 hours of nothing but gold farming)

my guess is casually playing for 20 hours or less a week there is no way someone would be able to afford a CREDD in a month.

Sweet Ivy

In WoW at launch, 100-400g was a TON of money and could take days of farming to acquire. Now just running dailies you can probably clear 400-1000g per day.

I would be shocked if this is any different. At launch what you get for a CREDD will probably be trivial compared to what you get for one say two years down the road. of course that is because of gold devaluation not CREDD devaluation.

With that being said... yes, 2 hours of farming is likely a ridiculous expectation. The way they put it on the official website is about the gist of it. People with way more time than money will be the buyers of this stuff.

Based on typical RMT rates of other games... and comfortable f2p standards... I would guess probably around 80-120 hours of mid-range/casual gold generating activities or 1/4 that for honest to goodness gold farming (so 20-30 hours of nothing but gold farming)

my guess is casually playing for 20 hours or less a week there is no way someone would be able to afford a CREDD in a month.
Well, in the end though you're saying the same thing... in terms of time.
So even though they may end up costing more gold, it should take less time to acquire said larger quantity of gold.

Well, 20-30 hours would probably be more than I'd play the game in a month :)! Definitely not an option then.

shigsy

The one i'm running into big indecision on is the body type. Some of the changes are subtle and it's hard to envision which will look best in gear.

I had the same thing. What I ended up doing was installing the Galaxy Library addon which lets you preview gear on your character. I created what I thought was an awesome looking Mordesh and then when I went in and randomly clicked on some epic gear in Galaxy Library I found he looked like a right bloater! Went back and recreated him and then checked it again.

Hope this helps! :)

Ferny

Yeah to be able to play soley on CREDD woukd take a long investment in game time. They want to have it as an option for sure, but they also want to have a majority of people paying monthly.

Abelian75

Neo Member
They want to have it as an option for sure, but they also want to have a majority of people paying monthly.

Not sure if that's really true, as they make 19.99 a month off of someone paying with CREDD vs. 14.99 for the paid subscription. Regardless, I'd be surprised if you weren't correct that most people will just pay for the sub.

StMeph

Yeah to be able to play soley on CREDD woukd take a long investment in game time. They want to have it as an option for sure, but they also want to have a majority of people paying monthly.

There's no net difference to them, since CREDD has to be purchased directly anyway, so some percentage of players is bankrolling the "nonpaying" share of the base.

I had the same thing. What I ended up doing was installing the Galaxy Library addon which lets you preview gear on your character. I created what I thought was an awesome looking Mordesh and then when I went in and randomly clicked on some epic gear in Galaxy Library I found he looked like a right bloater! Went back and recreated him and then checked it again.

Hope this helps! :)

I think what i ended up going with will work out well, i'll check out that addon though. Thanks!

Well, in the end though you're saying the same thing... in terms of time.
So even though they may end up costing more gold, it should take less time to acquire said larger quantity of gold.

Well, 20-30 hours would probably be more than I'd play the game in a month :)! Definitely not an option then.

Sounds like you are more on the end of people they want to buy CREDD and sell for gold, since you won't be playing as much as a lot of other people.

Ferny

There's no net difference to them, since CREDD has to be purchased directly anyway, so some percentage of players is bankrolling the "nonpaying" share of the base.
I don't know. I do agree it will help them somewhat but having that constant flow of a subscription from the player, I think, is what they really would want. But I'm not economist, I'm just a lonely Warrior!

Ok, so I've installed the client, logged in and made a char to muck about with.
I assume that because I can do this, the code I was given is my Early Access and Beta code?

Also, oh my god at the music, its so damn good!

But, I've maxed the graphics out and there are no shadows?

How demanding is this going to be graphics-wise? My pc isn't terrible but I'm at that point where I'd love to preorder this but don't know if my computer can handle it... Not looking for maxed quality, obviously

Abelian75

Neo Member
I don't know. I do agree it will help them somewhat but having that constant flow of a subscription from the player, I think, is what they really would want. But I'm not economist, I'm just a lonely Warrior!

Yeah, that's a decent point, over a long period of time I could imagine there's some benefit to the sub model, since people may just end up leaving their sub active even while not playing. God knows I probably did at least six months of that in WoW. Would be interesting to see statistics on that as a game ages.

Still, the extra five bucks from a CREDD purchase would be pretty nice too. :)

Ferny

That extra $5 is what will get us even more bunny ears and cool outfits so I need everyone to buy CREDD lol

Nonentity

Hey guys. I just received my press kit and it included an infographic that's worth checking out. These are the most accurate path and race statistics you will find pre-release.

WildStar Infographic: 1.6 Million Characters in Closed Beta, Most Popular Races and Classes
http://www.craveonline.com/gaming/a...in-closed-beta-most-popular-races-and-classes

Those icons for the paths are wrong, that sort of leads me to believe it isn't really an official infographic, but the data seems relatively accurate.

JLeack

Banned
Those icons for the paths are wrong, that sort of leads me to believe it isn't really an official infographic, but the data seems relatively accurate.

I noticed that too, but this is what was sent out by NCSoft's PR. I have an actual laminated copy of it.

Teggy

WildStar Infographic: 1.6 Million Characters in Closed Beta, Most Popular Races and Classes

Everyone I know always plays the opposite faction they plan to play in beta and spend more time on classes they don't expect to play, so I wonder how that data will carry over to launch.

Sweet Ivy

For those that played the beta.
Since the only MMORPG I played for some time was GuildWars 2, how does this compare?
What does this do best/worse?
Thanks!

Ferny

Compared to GW2, I would say the combat seems more diverse and interesting to me. I felt GW2 combat was a little lackluster since you can't really change skills, just weapons --which in turn change skills, sure -- but I think the combat here is more interesting.

For exploration there is the explorer path which is filled with jumping puzzles and map exploration quests and all that jazz.

The dungeons I feel are more interesting. I never was a fan of GW2 dungeons. The trinity not being there may have had something to do with that which can be a pro/con depending where you stand, but I found them a little dull while the WS dungeons look really fun and challenging.

There are things that GW2 does very well and WS may not be as good in those areas, but I think if you liked GW2 but wanted a little more substance in some areas, WS is a good fit. This is just personal opinion as well. Want to stress that bit of it ;)

TheYanger

20 hours a week is a ton, anyone playing that reasonably intelligently will be raking in the gold.

I played a LOT of wow, but actual gold generating activities? almost none at all. People are by and large completely incompetent at making money in these games, and the chinese farmer method is to work harder not smarter (well, until they get hacked accounts). Any legitimate player can find lots of creative ways to make gold.

For example. in wow you could do ONE challenge mode sale run per month and make enough gold to buy a sub at RMT prices (and I have done just that). That's like, 3-4 hours tops.

Also, you're right that CREDD is going to be drastically cheaper at launch than later on. Look at GW2, you could buy like 10 bucks worth of gems for a gold right at launch. now? I don't even want to think about the inflation in that game. Someone with a lot of money is going to hit 15, want a mount, and not have enough, so they'll drop a credd for like 15-20 gold.

Einbroch

Banned
For those that played the beta.
Since the only MMORPG I played for some time was GuildWars 2, how does this compare?
What does this do best/worse?
Thanks!

This is a dangerous question, but I'll answer it.

This game has the holy trinity. You have a tank, a healer, and damage dealers. This leads to more structure in group content, as each person has a defined role (although healers can do damage while not healing, tanks can add some damage if far ahead in threat, etc). Guild Wars 2 does not have this, but instead is "everyone do everything" with specialization in certain areas like debuffing or crowd control. This is purely a preference.

This game has big monthly updates (we hope, they've said as much). July is a new end-game zone, August is a new battleground and/or arena, September is a new raid, dungeon, or adventure. Guild Wars 2 has bi-weekly mini updates involving an evolving world, as they call it. Again, preference.

This game has a subscription fee. Guild Wars 2 does not. This is supposed to make updates more frequent and of a higher quality than if it did not have a subscription, but this will be seen.

Any other differences/similarities are hard to explain to someone who hasn't played World of Warcraft. This game is vanilla (no expansion) World of Warcraft with an action combat system, housing, and a unique warplot PVP system. That's incredibly reductive, but if I could sum it up in one sentence, that's what I'd use.

Can someone share some insight on what was Vanilla WoW and why is it so fondly remembered. I always see it mention a lot, only played WoW for about a month back when WotLK was released. I'm interested since the devs come from that time.

StMeph

Can someone share some insight on what was Vanilla WoW and why is it so fondly remembered. I always see it mention a lot, only played WoW for about a month back when WotLK was released. I'm interested since the devs come from that time.

There were a lot less convenience-based tools like dungeon/raid finder, so the game was more social in the sense that you had to actually PM people or talk in channels to form groups.

Raids were much bigger with 40 people, and encounter design hadn't been refined to a science yet, and so they were much more old school in their design and philosophies. TBC had much better raids, but everyone will remember T3 Naxx more fondly.

World PvP at Tarren Mill/Southshore before instanced BG-based PvP became a thing.

A lot of it is nostalgia for a game world that was less streamlined (game-y) and more of a world.

Einbroch

Banned

Vanilla World of Warcraft was about the adventure, not the goal. Was it grindy? Yes. Was it broken? Sure was. But underneath all that was a gem of a game, a game that brought out the imagination of those who played it. It was all about the experience. Wildstar is all about that. The first dungeons make you go "wow". There are dozens if not hundreds of rare enemies that when interacted with in certain ways drop different, fun items. Open world PVP is a constant threat.

Some will say "well, that's because it was new". I don't agree. Sure, it was new, but vanilla WoW focused very much on giving you fun, exciting, and grand adventures before you hit the max level. Many dislike the beginning levels in Wildstar, but if you fight Forgemaster Trogun and don't have a smile on your face, I feel bad for you.

Vanilla WoW had a ton of issues, there's no doubt. But that laser focus on giving you an adventure is something that Blizzard has lost in recent years, and I can't wait to feel that again with Wildstar.

Top Bottom