• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WildStar |OT| The biggest MMO since the Big Bang

So indecisive about whether to do my path missions along the way or just come back for it. Slows down levels a lot but gonna do them eventually anyway so feel I may as well do them now.

Although the one I currently have is a major pain in the ass. Drop 15 stakes around a huge area. Sigh.

ttocs

Are the queues still really bad today? I logged on pretty early EDT with no queue but I would imagine they are coming.

kafiend

I might be a complete moron for not knowing this but what is the reason for the weird number placement on the 2 step auth number input? Its trivial but annoying.

arimanius

Well just saw a notification in game that someone hit level 50 warrior on exile this morning. That was quick.

edit* This was a world first on caretaker

GAF, help me decide if I should get this game. I have ESO, SWTOR, WOW and GW2. Currently SWTOR is grabbing my most attention for some reason. Really enjoying the story and pacing.

For those who have played, how is the lore of this game? How does the story hold up?

Think I''ll be able to play both swtor and this?

How stable is it?

If your playing the game for story or playing solo pve, you will be disappointed. The story telling and quests in Wildstar are all pretty bland and its just their to grind out to get to the group content, where the game shines.

If your playing the game for story or playing solo pve, you will be disappointed. The story telling and quests in Wildstar are all pretty bland and its just their to grind out to get to the group , where the game shines.

I do enjoy dicking around and exploring; the use of verticality in this game is great.

Sinistral

Just wanted to post my (positive) impressions. After the beta's and now onto Day 2 of the headstart...

This is the one. The next MMO that will keep me playing for a long while. I've gone from many major MMO's starting with AO, then DAoC, SWG, FFXI, WoW, WAR, SWTOR, GW2 and now Wildstar. There were a lot of minor ones but they're not so important.

All the previous MMO's always had a great hook but some failed to execute such as WAR and SWTOR. SWG just decided to become a bastard of itself but it is one I remember very fondly of because of the amazing crafting and sandbox nature of it. AO was whole new experience for me and DAoC RvR experience is still unrivaled. FFXI for it's amazing stories. WoW... is WoW. GW2 was impressive but the combat always felt clunky and off to me.

But for Wildstar the cherry on top that has absolutely hooked me and is that perfect wrapping to the many wonderful gifts it presents... is the Sound Design.

Art Direction, amazing. Crafting depth, really promising so far. Lore and Story, very intrigued. Challenging? Oh yeah! Many other things top tier. Combat, polished and impactful. To followup on my GW2 "off" comment, this is where it felt off. Between floaty animations and dull sounds it never really hit that required note.

In Wildstar, when activate a skill, you know it. You hear the proper thuds, clangs, distortions or whatever. And this is one key aspect to visceral combat that makes it flow wonderfully. For those who just played WoW, for one example when you land a Rend or Deep Wounds, you hear that flesh ripping tear and you know what just happened, audibly. The animations are a visual feast all around.

Wildstar does this in spades (so far on my medic). Extending further to Musical Score, Narrative and the fucking badass announcer!

Like I said, this is just one small aspect that really shows how much care and polish this promising new MMO is showing. While not attempting to be what I love (skill based progression sandbox with RvR), it is a leveling theme-parked MMO, which isn't a fault, the point is that it is doing it very well.

Nokterian

Still huge queue's..there not going to provide new realms to handle the load? This is not going to be fun when it is going to launch.

Just wanted to post my (positive) impressions. After the beta's and now onto Day 2 of the headstart...

This is the one. The next MMO that will keep me playing for a long while. I've gone from many major MMO's starting with AO, then DAoC, SWG, FFXI, WoW, WAR, SWTOR, GW2 and now Wildstar. There were a lot of minor ones but they're not so important.

All the previous MMO's always had a great hook but some failed to execute such as WAR and SWTOR. SWG just decided to become a bastard of itself but it is one I remember very fondly of because of the amazing crafting and sandbox nature of it. AO was whole new experience for me and DAoC RvR experience is still unrivaled. FFXI for it's amazing stories. WoW... is WoW. GW2 was impressive but the combat always felt clunky and off to me.

But for Wildstar the cherry on top that has absolutely hooked me and is that perfect wrapping to the many wonderful gifts it presents... is the Sound Design.

Art Direction, amazing. Crafting depth, really promising so far. Lore and Story, very intrigued. Challenging? Oh yeah! Many other things top tier. Combat, polished and impactful. To followup on my GW2 "off" comment, this is where it felt off. Between floaty animations and dull sounds it never really hit that required note.

In Wildstar, when activate a skill, you know it. You hear the proper thuds, clangs, distortions or whatever. And this is one key aspect to visceral combat that makes it flow wonderfully. For those who just played WoW, for one example when you land a Rend or Deep Wounds, you hear that flesh ripping tear and you know what just happened, audibly. The animations are a visual feast all around.

Wildstar does this in spades (so far on my medic). Extending further to Musical Score, Narrative and the fucking badass announcer!

Like I said, this is just one small aspect that really shows how much care and polish this promising new MMO is showing. While not attempting to be what I love (skill based progression sandbox with RvR), it is a leveling theme-parked MMO, which isn't a fault, the point is that it is doing it very well.

YES. There it is, the unnoticed Jesus Nut in game combat: the ability to navigate and orchestrate via sound cues (just got done pointing this out in Dark Souls 2 again for lacking in this).

Hixx

Every PvP realm has a queue in EU. Even Zhur.

wtzgU.gif

Nokterian

I want to play it but looks like my account is still seeing as a guest account cannot make additional characters. What a mess.

Every PvP realm has a queue in EU. Even Zhur.

wtzgU.gif

It will be even worse after this 'headstart'. They where not prepared and at launch it will cripple to a halt.

Have I mentioned that I absolutely love Esper healing? The sounds, visuals and play style are just all around awesome when healing.

I'm back online on Mortality for those that need invites.

H1PSTER

Guys do I stay on Ravernous or move to Zhur? I desperately want a guild to drag me into this game, if I'm going solo I'll fizzle out after a few weeks.

Halp please... At the moment I'm a level 10 Exile engineer but I'm up for deleting him and going Dominion if the guild is based on that side - I just want one!

shigsy

Zhur is showing as full but has a way shorter queue than the others. I've re-rolled to Zhur as I wasn't prepared to wait for 2 hours to get into Ascendancy. Nice bunch of gaffers on Zhur in a circle (soon to be guild) :) Exiles btw.

Carcetti

I rolled my Imperial on Ravenous and my Exile on Zhur. Actually, Zhur was only medium load when I created the character but now it has a huge queue.

I guess they really wanted to recreate the vanilla wow experience. Fool me once, shame on you etc.

Keasar

Question, these boom boxes that were given out for each day you logged in during the beta, are they handed out to each character you create or the first one you create and play?

Zoracka

Question, these boom boxes that were given out for each day you logged in during the beta, are they handed out to each character you create or the first one you create and play?

They are delivered to your account inventory so you can open them from all your characters. But you can only open each boombox once on your account.

Keasar

They are delivered to your account inventory so you can open them from all your characters. But you can only open each boombox once on your account.

Ah okay, good to know, then Ill save them for the Hazak character while playing a little on another server, cause I am not kidding myself thinking I will be able to play on it in the near future (3300 people long queue). :p

JLeack

Banned
So indecisive about whether to do my path missions along the way or just come back for it. Slows down levels a lot but gonna do them eventually anyway so feel I may as well do them now.

Although the one I currently have is a major pain in the ass. Drop 15 stakes around a huge area. Sigh.

Yup. Explorer sucks. I wish I went Soldier.

Gaston

So if I bought Wildstar Standard Edition off their website right now, does that mean I would get early access and be able to play right away? Or did I already miss that window and have to wait until June 3rd?

Dunlop

Game definitely has a memory leak.
Yeah, it had used up my ram twice now.

Love the game but this is the worst mmo launch I can remember, the devs have gone silent and seem to be lost on a resolution.

I thought the op tests were a great idea, but didn't occur to me that their analysis of what is needed to launch would be so shit

Gritesh

Love the game but this is the worst mmo launch I can remember, the devs have gone silent and seem to be lost on a resolution.

I thought the op tests were a great idea, but didn't occur to me that their analysis of what is needed to launch would be so shit

Worst MMO launch is stretching it a bit..it's pretty much on par with other MMO launches in the way of flaws to be ironed out although the memory leak issue concerns me as it was there in beta and it still exists. I imagine people will come up with their own Addons and we will end up disabling most of the ones the devs created.

You must have a very short memory. It's not great, but it's not unplayable, putting it probably in the top 20%. I'd put it above FF14, for example. It's similar to SWTOR, better than Aion, worse than ESO.

This is a very smooth launch so far.

shigsy

600 queue on Zhur now. :/ Not sure how long that will translate to (probably 10-15 mins) but I'm starting to wonder if its better to stop putting time into any character at this point until it all sorts itself out. What does everyone think?

acksman

Launch is much better than WoW, SWoR, and others that had queue times and this much demand.

I still think one of the best launches I have seen is Rift.

Dunlop

This is a very smooth launch so far.

If you are in and do not have to log out the game is great when you are in, got my medic to 15. My kids got me up at 5am so I actually logged in without a queue.

I clicked on it again 2 hours ago with the idea of maybe it popping at some point tonight

The stories are all over of people waiting 12 hours + only to have the character screen bugged or a rolling restart kick them off and then have to start over

edit: what was the issue with SWTOR? I seriously don't remember having any issues as they staggered the launch times

Top Bottom