• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WildStar |OT| The biggest MMO since the Big Bang

B00TE

Although it's still rough, I love the community exchange. Been making great use out of buy and sell orders.

Sad that dyeing certain items is really expensive, at least this early on.

Hit 20 on my warrior yesterday and almost 20 on my engineer. Really love both classes, but warriors are just so much fun to play.

I've been taking my time so far, only level 15 at the moment. So far I love so much about the game. It feels like I'm joining a game that's been out for years because of how stuffed the world feels and because of all the mechanics around building your character.

There's just one glaring problem to me, the controls. I was doing fine doing quests out in the world because it's not very challenging so far. But yesterday I joined my first PVP match and it was pure chaos. I don't understand how people move, aim, and use abilities at the same time. It honestly feels like I need a third hand to keep up. I'm currently using the same setup I used for years in WoW and really is not working here. I can imagine it will be the same in dungeons too, having to move a lot to avoid boss attacks.

So people who are doing well in PvP and dungeons, what is your setup? I'm currently using A & D for strafing, W & S for moving front and back, 1-4 and and E-T for abilities, and mouse for camera/aiming. It feels like I have to choose between strafing/moving or using abilities. It's not like I did all that bad in PvP, (according to the dps rankings) it just feels like I could do so much better.

I've been taking my time so far, only level 15 at the moment. So far I love so much about the game. It feels like I'm joining a game that's been out for years because of how stuffed the world feels and because of all the mechanics around building your character.

There's just one glaring problem to me, the controls. I was doing fine doing quests out in the world because it's not very challenging so far. But yesterday I joined my first PVP match and it was pure chaos. I don't understand how people move, aim, and use abilities at the same time. It honestly feels like I need a third hand to keep up. I'm currently using the same setup I used for years in WoW and really is not working here. I can imagine it will be the same in dungeons too, having to move a lot to avoid boss attacks.

So people who are doing well in PvP and dungeons, what is your setup? I'm currently using A & D for strafing, W & S for moving front and back, 1-4 and and E-T for abilities, and mouse for camera/aiming. It feels like I have to choose between strafing/moving or using abilities. It's not like I did all that PvP, (according to the dps rankings) it just feels like I could do so much better.

I almost literally cannot play the game without one of the mouselook mods (Steer or Deadlock Ext). I that and adjusting to ability use while moving (and probably also rebinding the ones past 6 to something closer to WASD) are all that's strictly required. Steer also has an option to use a mouse button for forward movement, which might be helpful, but I don't find it necessary.

Is there a system similar to the Dungeon Finder in WoW? In the way that you can search for other players to be grouped with, rather than having to make a group your self? I'm finding that the quests that I'm doing now are out-leveling me making them quite difficult as I'm level 17 fighting level 19 mobs.

Raxious

What don't you like about the gameplay?

The gameplay? Really? This boggles my mind. I can see reasons why people would not like the game, but gameplay is not one of them. None of the other MMOs I've ever played (AO, L2, WOW, Aion, Rift, GW2, FFXIV) has had close to such great gameplay as WS, in my opinion. When I say gameplay, I mean the combat.

Imo, abilities don't feel like they have impact, and PvP just feels like a mess. I mean, I don't mind seeing the area where the enemy is casting. Hell, I thought it was great in GW2, yet here it just bothers me.

The places you get to are amazing though, that snow area looked really cool.

I don't know, whenever I see someone else playing it, it just looks awesome, yet whenever I play myself I'm not feeling it. Who knows, maybe I'm just tired of MMO's.

Is there anyone on Orias right now who could get me into the GAF guild? Would be much appreciated!

Exile or Dominion side? Sorry for taking so long to see the message.

Imo, abilities don't feel like they have impact, and PvP just feels like a mess. I mean, I don't mind seeing the area where the enemy is casting. Hell, I thought it was great in GW2, yet here it just bothers me.

The places you get to are amazing though, that snow area looked really cool.

I don't know, whenever I see someone else playing it, it just looks awesome, yet whenever I play myself I'm not feeling it. Who knows, maybe I'm just tired of MMO's.

It may be you're just burned out. What class did you play? I feel like the melee classes (Warrior and Stalker) have a lot of oomph to their attacks compared to the ranged classes. I absolutely love the combat, but maybe try your hand in an adventure or dungeon and see if it grips you by then?

I almost literally cannot play the game without one of the mouselook mods (Steer or Deadlock Ext). I that and adjusting to ability use while moving (and probably also rebinding the ones past 6 to something closer to WASD) are all that's strictly required. Steer also has an option to use a mouse button for forward movement, which might be helpful, but I don't find it necessary.

I'm missing turn-jumping for kiting shenanigans, it's a glaring gaping hole in the SS and Medic's toolboxes I sorely miss from playing Mages/Hunters.

arimanius

Is there a system similar to the Dungeon Finder in WoW? In the way that you can search for other players to be grouped with, rather than having to make a group your self? I'm finding that the quests that I'm doing now are out-leveling me making them quite difficult as I'm level 17 fighting level 19 mobs.

The dungeon finder is the screen where you queue for pvp(The N key). It's on the pull down menu.

I just tried the first real adventure hycrest insurrection. Not coming away with a positive experience. Mostly because the tank and healer were assholes, didn't talk, and then bailed at the end. They had obviously ran it before.Oh well, /mmorpg problems

ValfarHL

This game.. I'm loving it immensely, but it is a bit overwhelming at times.

oAtjDlk.jpg

Ferny

yeah they have a queue for PVP, Dungeons, Adventures all of that.

Raxious

It may be you're just burned out. What class did you play? I feel like the melee classes (Warrior and Stalker) have a lot of oomph to their attacks compared to the ranged classes. I absolutely love the combat, but maybe try your hand in an adventure or dungeon and see if it grips you by then?

I went Stalker. I'll give the game another chance, still got a couple of days left.

DarkKyo

Exile or Dominion side? Sorry for taking so long to see the message.

It's okay! I'm leveling a dominion character on Orias and was wondering if I could join... its Neo Empire right?

Ourobolus

Banned
Welp, finally started up this morning. Made it to Level 11, still running around Ellevar (sp?). Seems like a decent game so far - I definitely like the telegraph system.

Chua Medic on Bloodsworn.

How do I actually LEARN a tradeskill?

This game.. I'm loving it immensely, but it is a bit overwhelming at times.

Whitevale sucks but the next few zones are pretty good. Leveling hasn't become too much of a brickwall for me yet, there was a bug in Wilderun that took out a good portion of quests for me.

B00TE

Nervous about starting dungeons but ya gotta start somewhere I guess. Took a look at what to expect for Stormtalon's Lair, it didn't look too bad.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
=
Looks as though my temps being in the 80's for the GPU were down to being in windowed mode.
Switched to Fullscreen and I'm now at 40C.
I thought I fried something last night running in borderless window mode :(

My second monitor flickered, game crashed, had very high temps across the board in my notebook, and I started seeing screen tearing on websites.

Was worried about screen tearing on websites after sleeping and still seeing it, but it looks like there's some kind of double buffering on windows 7 through aereo though? My PC wanted me to turn aereo off last night during gameplay and switching back fixes it. Hopefully it's just that.

Rimshot

What do you all feel about the game so far? I am interested in getting it, but I'm afraid it will end like all mmo games so far that I gave tried getting into. That is people play 2-3 months at most and then just completely stop/disappears.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Wait until you find the one that turns into a rock worm that you can defeat then crawl into and mine!
Haha this game just keeps getting better. Loving my engineer, though only problem I'm having so far is my damn bots suck ass. Either they aren't doing much damage or I'm not using them properly.

Adent

Can't manage for sh!t
Someone who is a Excel wizard let me know if this good or off. It seems good so far. I've been making buy orders for omniplasm and vendoring it.

Vendororsell.jpg

Alrus

I was going to post that as a low level engineer, bots didn't feel as bad as people on the internet are saying. But then they caused me to die 3 times in a row by attacking a Prime I wasn't even targeting... As far as dps go they're fine as long as you use their abilities correctly.

Maffis

I have to say I love the implemention of these elite mobs everywhere. Makes it much more challenging playing with my friend then just rofl-stomping together.

Then again, it feels like challenges are kinda made for 2-players or more, since most of them can only be copmpleted fast enough by killing elites. But yeah it's a MMO I guess.

I think I'm going to ditch my Medic and try out a SpellSlinger. If that class doesn't hook me then I'm going to go back to Engineer. Despite the bots having bad AI I still had fun with the class and when the bots did what they were supposed to it was a big help.

arimanius

After trying an adventure with my warrior decided to try something range again and made a esper. Neat class but wow is pvp hard with it. Not being able to move and cast is such a huge disadvantage at least at this low level.

Tokubetsu

After trying an adventure with my warrior decided to try something range again and made a esper. Neat class but wow is pvp hard with it. Not being able to move and cast is such a huge disadvantage at least at this low level.

Yes, yes it is. Everyone says healing on an esper is way better but I just want to deeps

Alrus

Telekinetic Strike is pretty bad in pvp for esper, easy to dodge and you're stuck in place. The psi blades give you more mobility at the sacrifice of range.

Retro

Just as a reminder to our Wildstar brothers:
When NeoGAF goes down tomorrow because of E3 (and it will), please remember we have the forums at GAFGuild.com and a very nice Shoutbox where people can get all excited about the new games coming out in real time.
Mumble is also available if you just want to get on and squeeeeeeeeee a little. I went ahead and made a "GAF is dead" room just for the occasion.
Happy E3 everyone.

Some bugs that I'm wondering if anyone else experiences:

1. The potion (X) just disappearing from the bar until you /reloadui. This isn't so bad as a spellslinger, since I have a heal on my bar, but still annoying.

2. Damage not updating my target's unit frame / nameplate bars as it happens (combat text / combat log registers it). So you get this weird lag between seeing the multiple hits/damage occurring and the aggregate result.

Bombless

Some bugs that I'm wondering if anyone else experiences:

1. The potion (X) just disappearing from the bar until you /reloadui. This isn't so bad as a spellslinger, since I have a heal on my bar, but still annoying.

2. Damage not updating my target's unit frame / nameplate bars as it happens (combat text / combat log registers it). So you get this weird lag between seeing the multiple hits/damage occurring and the aggregate result.

I can confirm both. The potion still activates when I press X though. The damage thing is annoying to say the least.

B00TE

the damage lag thing has been driving me nuts all afternoon. sometimes it's not so bad, but man it's frustrating when it is.

Ferny

Just as a reminder to our Wildstar brothers:
When NeoGAF goes down tomorrow because of E3 (and it will), please remember we have the forums at GAFGuild.com and a very nice Shoutbox where people can get all excited about the new games coming out in real time.
Mumble is also available if you just want to get on and squeeeeeeeeee a little. I went ahead and made a "GAF is dead" room just for the occasion.
Happy E3 everyone.

Awesome reminder! I always forget that this happens every year where GAF is down for a very long time. Thanks Retro!

Everis

Banned
Gahhh, got one elder gem from my last three boomboxes in a row. Best thing I've gotten so far is the raidin costume chest piece. Come onnnnn luminous equivar mount. :p

Top Bottom