• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WildStar |OT| The biggest MMO since the Big Bang

Bliany

I checked the game out in beta but decided I didn't really have time to commit to an mmo. Well now that the lady and I broke up I suddenly have time. o_O

Add me to the list of people looking for trial keys. I want to make sure it's worth my hard earned monies. Thanks y'all

Really considering buying this tonight. I should be patient and try to get a demo code though.

..fuck it. I bought it. I hope it's good as I got bored with FFXIVgrindfest pretty quickly.

Jira

Really considering buying this tonight. I should be patient and try to get a demo code though.

..fuck it. I bought it. I hope it's good as I got bored with FFXIVgrindfest pretty quickly.

A tip:

Try to do Task quests occasionally, focus on Zone/Regional/World quests as that's the bulk of your XP. Tasks are the really generic quests that have you kill 25 guys and that's just boring.

A tip:

Try to do Task quests occasionally, focus on Zone/Regional/World quests as that's the bulk of your XP. Tasks are the really generic quests that have you kill 25 guys and that's just boring.

I'm at level 45 and the task structure gets a lot better. I'd say around Wilderrun you want to start doing tasks. For one, they're more reasonable - kill 15 instead of 50, and they're already in the story quest area. Also, you need all the XP you can get at the end unless you want to grind out the last level.

A tip:

Thanks. I'm going to build a tank character this time - any good builds out there? I am thinking a mech warrior stalker. I found this build that I may try.

Alex

I like everything about this game, except for the questing, I am finding it to be quite terrible. It has all of the issues of WoW's questing but on steroids. I'm trying to progress more through PvP but too much is going to get lost in the clutter if I don't quest a bunch too. I am just so over the ol' ride into a hub, pick up fifty thousand yellow !'s and do a bunch of extremely easy fluff tasks. What is making me EXTREMELY sour to this is that almost nothing is shared between party members, making it take even longer to do things in a group, terrible design in a multiplayer game.

I would love to see just one MMO offer at least optional methods to make leveling up an engaging and thoughtful experience, hell even something as simple as a difficulty slider with added rewards/perks would be fantastic.

At least they label stuff nicely, props for that, I can skip a lot of the chaff.

desverger

I like everything about this game, except for the questing, I am finding it to be quite terrible. It has all of the issues of WoW's questing but on steroids. I'm trying to progress more through PvP but too much is going to get lost in the clutter if I don't quest a bunch too. I am just so over the ol' ride into a hub, pick up fifty thousand yellow !'s and do a bunch of extremely easy fluff tasks. What is making me EXTREMELY sour to this is that almost nothing is shared between party members, making it take even longer to do things in a group, terrible design in a multiplayer game.

Yep, the questing is pretty bad in this one sadly - and they made things even worse including those grindy task quests, which only complicate things. Maybe it gets better later on, but especially Whitevale is quite quilty of mindless task bombing.

I would have to disagree on the sharing part though, I've done almost all of the quests in a party up to level 30 or so, and most of the things have been shared. Only expections have been quests where we need to click stuff individually, but really, almost everything is shared - not sure why you're under the opposite impression :p

HowZatOZ

Banned
I've found that while doing the normal quests for that breadcrumbed zone I'll complete the "kill x" quests in line with all the others, so I guess it isn't feeling as bad for me. Of course, I'm level 24 now and everything feels a lot better story/quest wise plus I'm so use to these types of quests it doesn't really phase me.

Adent

Can't manage for sh!t
I hate maintenance. I was about to go do my first adventure instance. :( In the level 15 adventure does tanking really matter or is it like scenarios in Wow?

Jira

I hate maintenance. I was about to go do my first adventure instance. :( In the level 15 adventure does tanking really matter or is it like scenarios in Wow?

Yep, all instanced content requires a tank, healer, and DPS. Dungeons are significantly harder than Adventures though.

TheYanger

war of the wilds gold run nerfs, I like it. I do fear that not having a single faceroll 50 adventure will make the barrier of grouping entry harder than intended ;p but that place was 15 minute gold every time barring issues, so I'm ok with it.

I bought the game on a whim last week because I was sick and pretty much stuck at home all week. Turns out I actually really like this game. Rolled an Exile Engineer and have so far gotten to level 22. I just recently realized the game is designed in a way that encourages you to basicaly use every ability on cooldown, something I'm not used to, but once I did that the game got more manageable.

I will say one thing, the bots for Engineers are bugged as shit. Half the time they stand in place for no reason and won't attack enemies that are right in front of them, the other half of the time they are diving face first through half the mobs in the room. Changing between Passive and Defensive does literally nothing, and in any enclosed area (those random ship quests) they seem to continuously aggro mobs then fall through the floor and reset them. Other than that major frustration I really enjoy the game.

Adent

Can't manage for sh!t
Well I totally noobed it up in my first Adventure. The biggest problem I had is that nameplates just don't show up for enemies for some reason. Then I didn't know how re-queue. Finally I just got lost for one part. Finished it though!

Alrus

I will say one thing, the bots for Engineers are bugged as shit. Half the time they stand in place for no reason and won't attack enemies that are right in front of them, the other half of the time they are diving face first through half the mobs in the room. Changing between Passive and Defensive does literally nothing, and in any enclosed area (those random ship quests) they seem to continuously aggro mobs then fall through the floor and reset them. Other than that major frustration I really enjoy the game.

I set my bots to assist and they do everything as intended. Make sure to actually use their skills because they add a ton of dps and help manage aggro (bruiser bot's special even has an interrupt which is great because you can interrupt primes if you use it with Zap).

Also make sure to keybind the bots commands (at least the more important ones) : https://forums.wildstar-online.com/forums/index.php?/topic/43733-engineer-bot-keybindscommands/.

Honestly the only terrible things about bots is that they sometime pull aggro without provocation and sometimes (it's rare imo) get lost sometimes which keeps you from using their skills.

Experiment X-89 EU first kill.

Warriors (brown) and Stalkers (yellow) are dominating this fight at least.

Hmm I guess I watched different streams, in Veteran Dungeons they always seemed to be the top dps. Raid builds might be different and I haven't looked into them yet. Still, I feel Engineers are still much better than what people on the official forums would have you think.

Cancelled

Neo Member
Experiment X-89 EU first kill.

Warriors (brown) and Stalkers (yellow) are dominating this fight at least.

Edit: nvm

Interesting that they use basically only Warriors and Stalkers for DPS. From my experience Engineers are dominating everything. Pretty cool to see a Medic holding his own, though I feel pretty sorry for Espers in raids right now, as much as I'm enjoying leveling mine.

It will be nice to start seeing some other logs come out.

Esper pets are painful to use as well. Any summons of mine will regularly just ignore what i'm attacking and go attack something nearby which results in an extra group pulled, or a prime creature in some cases. As a squishy Esper this leads to my death a lot of times.

Einbroch

Banned
Esper just seems like a kinda broken class at the moment. Pets are weird, mobility issues feel strange, the point system is kind of wonky with some abilities instantly adding points while others need a charge. Oh, and their innate is kinda garbage.

But at least they've acknowledged these issues.

Esper just seems like a kinda broken class at the moment. Pets are weird, mobility issues feel strange, the point system is kind of wonky with some abilities instantly adding points while others need a charge. Oh, and their innate is kinda garbage.

But at least they've acknowledged these issues.

I enjoy the class for the most part when i'm leveling. Now and then i'll get frustrated and wish i had rolled another class, but I enjoy the healing. Unfortunately the healing also has bugs. One of my abilities (Warden) is completely useless since it refuses to spawn next to anyone except me when in combat.

I have had a love-hate relationship with WoW over the past 9-10 years of its existence. I have quit it several times and I have tried most of the WoW clones that come out to usurp it. The problem I have had with WoW is that it is a raid game and nothing but a raid game. It has bare-bones crafting only because it exists enough to support the raid game. Blizzard 9/10 releases a new raid for content patches as if that is the only content in the game. We rarely get a new zone. Blizzard doesn't know how to design the game in such a way where a new zone can be added and still worthwhile to play in the leveling system. I don't know, the problems are just legion at this point.

Anyway, I got a call from my brother talking about this game. He is usually hyped about any new MMO that comes out. I made a mental note to take a look at it later.

Later, I was watching some of those devspeak videos and I watched the one on Paths. What? You can pick the way you play an MMO? Crazy, it's like they are talking to me. I like to explore, I like to build shit, anything but fighting stuff all the time.

I asked my bro for a guest pass and played it over the weekend. Ultimately the Path system was less grand than I had hoped, however, what I discovered was.....the most incredible MMO combat system I have ever seen. It is so good that I can't even look at WoW combat anymore, it hurts.

And that was what was so amazing. Every time I have played a WoW clone 2 things happen: I realize the game doesn't have the polish of WoW (or doesn't improve on its systems in any way) and playing the WoW clone only makes me more interested in playing WoW again (in the vain hope that Blizzard's development priorities change). This was the first time in 9 years that I felt the opposite. That finally, I have a game that can wholly replace WoW, every system in the game does MMO better than WoW. The combat, the crafting, the housing, crowd control, PvP, every minute system in Wildstar is better and I find myself wanting to play the game in the back of my mind every 10 minutes when I am not playing. That is crazy. That hasn't happened before since WoW came out 9 years ago.

This is a winner.

Ourobolus

Banned
Thinking of rolling a Spellslinger as my second character. Is it the most damaging spell class? I like my medic and the DPS there is decent (when I'm not focused on healing), but what about Spellslinger DPS?

ttocs

Thinking of rolling a Spellslinger as my second character. Is it the most damaging spell class? I like my medic and the DPS there is decent (when I'm not focused on healing), but what about Spellslinger DPS?

The spellslinger is fun and does a ton of damage, but you definitely have to move around a lot. I ended up switching to Engineer because I wasn't into the heavy movement required. People who like that level of skill play will love it though.

Einbroch

Banned

If you like PVP, you'll like Spellslinger. They wreck face.

Ourobolus

Banned
The spellslinger is fun and does a ton of damage, but you definitely have to move around a lot. I ended up switching to Engineer because I wasn't into the heavy movement required. People who like that level of skill play will love it though.

Awesome. Thanks, that sounds perfect (I really like moving around and dodging).

Now...I just noticed something (while browsing the internet) that makes me feel really stupid. Are you able to allocate points to your primary attributes, or are they automatically assigned? I don't think I've done anything on that screen -.-

ttocs

Now...I just noticed something (while browsing the internet) that makes me feel really stupid. Are you able to allocate points to your primary attributes, or are they automatically assigned? I don't think I've done anything on that screen -.-

I think they are automatically assigned. You'll be adding to them by wearing equipment. If you want a DPS Spellslinger, go with Finesse.

Ferny

I play a SS as my main and they are so much fun. So mobile and yes you have to move around a lot in order to be effective, but they also have some spells that you have to stay still, but you can combo those with others. It's so much fun.

I really think the combat system in this game is great. I am fighting mobs in the wild just because I find it fun. I don't think I ever did that in WoW or GW2.

B00TE

Can someone post them here? Thats blocked for me at work.

Patch Highlights

The EULA has been updated. Read it! It's awesome, as EULAs go.
Improved performance on AMD processors which are powering down because the game is not heavily using any single core by having the main thread of the game prefer to be scheduled on a single core.
General
Fixed a bug which sometimes deleted stackable items when double-right-clicking on them while the bank is open.
Fixed a crash in French clients when the Level Up screen appears for certain levels.
Fixed a Lua error that was occasionally occurring when completing a 2v2 Arena match
Fixed a server crash related to pathing.
Fixed issues with Account Friend Invites not working.
PvP
General
Improved PvP AFK detection.
The match timer will now appear for the defenders in Halls of the Bloodsworn.
Walatiki Temple
Fixed an issue where players were able to escape from the Walatiki Temple spawn room before the match started.
Content
Ellevar
Changed the Soldier “Taste of Their Own Medicine” mission mechanics to add a damage effect.
Malgrave
The Darkspur Karaoke quest will now botch if the player removes themselves from the holdout area or if they run out of time.
Adventures
War of the Wilds
Increased the difficulty of War of the Wilds in Veteran mode by shifting the balance between player and NPC minions slightly and allowing enemy champions to take control points somewhat more quickly.
Fixed a bug that caused AI Champion deaths in War of the Wilds to count toward player kill to death ratio when no players were involved in the champion's death.
War of the Wilds now requires completion of Commander Breza or Colonel Rakar's strategic objectives before it will award a group gold or silver medal. One objective must be completed for a silver medal while both must be completed for a gold medal.
Dungeons
Ruins of Kel Voreth
Into the Flames can now be turned in to Toric Antevian inside the Ruins of Kel Voreth dungeon.
Economy
Tradeskills
Due to Architect crafted items being a little too profitable, we adjusted the sell prices of Decor items and FABkits and adjusted the required materials for some blueprints.

User Interface
Fixed an issue with the quest tracker not displaying when first starting the client with only one zone story tracked quest.
Fixed an issue with Account Services not loading if you switch back to Character Selection.
Quest Tracker quest numbers now correctly update.
Fixed an issue where the minimap and zone map would not refresh quest numbers when the “track quests by distance” option changed.
Removed zone filtering on Zone and Regional quests in the Quest Tracker.
The Quest Tracker now properly resizes entries so they do not overlap.
Nameplates are no longer followed with "(unité)" in the French client. Players can once again be invited by using the right click menu from player nameplates.
The Account Services screen won't show up until you create at least one character.

API Changes
Fixed an issue where some Lua MarketplaceLib functions could cause a crash in certain cases.

Here ya go.

Got my engi to 20, woo!

ttocs

They have finally fixed the quest tracker overlapping text issue, and the quest numbering being incorrect. Hurrah!

Nice! That was one of those issues that was annoying but you were hard pressed to complain about it in lieu of the server queue issue. Glad it's fixed.

Thanks! There's not a comprehensive list of the patch? I don't see any engineer bot stuff there.

I don't know if it's definitely in there. Just a comment i saw on the thread was someone saying there were bot fixes in the patch (it was by another user, not a Carbine person). "<3 lets see if your bot fix works" i may be wrongly assuming that means engineer bots, though.

Palmer_v1

I was basing my question on the fact that list says Patch HIGHLIGHTS. It's not really highlights if that was the entire thing, right?

Alrus

I don't know if it's definitely in there. Just a comment i saw on the thread was someone saying there were bot fixes in the patch (it was by another user, not a Carbine person). "<3 lets see if your bot fix works" i may be wrongly assuming that means engineer bots, though.

Nah he's talking about bots in PvP stuff apparently.

Edit:Also War of the Wilds nerf apparently made it super tedious if you want to get gold or silver :/

JORMBO

Darkness no more
"The Quest Tracker now properly resizes entries so they do not overlap."

Yessss....that was driving me crazy.

TheContact

I have had a love-hate relationship with WoW over the past 9-10 years of its existence. I have quit it several times and I have tried most of the WoW clones that come out to usurp it. The problem I have had with WoW is that it is a raid game and nothing but a raid game. It has bare-bones crafting only because it exists enough to support the raid game. Blizzard 9/10 releases a new raid for content patches as if that is the only content in the game. We rarely get a new zone. Blizzard doesn't know how to design the game in such a way where a new zone can be added and still worthwhile to play in the leveling system. I don't know, the problems are just legion at this point.

Anyway, I got a call from my brother talking about this game. He is usually hyped about any new MMO that comes out. I made a mental note to take a look at it later.

Later, I was watching some of those devspeak videos and I watched the one on Paths. What? You can pick the way you play an MMO? Crazy, it's like they are talking to me. I like to explore, I like to build shit, anything but fighting stuff all the time.

I asked my bro for a guest pass and played it over the weekend. Ultimately the Path system was less grand than I had hoped, however, what I discovered was.....the most incredible MMO combat system I have ever seen. It is so good that I can't even look at WoW combat anymore, it hurts.

And that was what was so amazing. Every time I have played a WoW clone 2 things happen: I realize the game doesn't have the polish of WoW (or doesn't improve on its systems in any way) and playing the WoW clone only makes me more interested in playing WoW again (in the vain hope that Blizzard's development priorities change). This was the first time in 9 years that I felt the opposite. That finally, I have a game that can wholly replace WoW, every system in the game does MMO better than WoW. The combat, the crafting, the housing, crowd control, PvP, every minute system in Wildstar is better and I find myself wanting to play the game in the back of my mind every 10 minutes when I am not playing. That is crazy. That hasn't happened before since WoW came out 9 years ago.

This is a winner.

great post this is almost my thoughts exactly. I finally feel like I'm playing the mmo that will replace wow for me. And I've tried most of them

Damn the nerf to Architect crafting

t5sgypH.jpg

Top Bottom