• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WildStar |OT| The biggest MMO since the Big Bang

Mastamind

Yay, banned 5 days and counting because comcast changed my ipaddress.

Carbine finally responded to my ticket for them to tell me that my account is compromised and to "secure" my account. They want me to put 2-step verification on my account, which has been on since headstart. Now lets see how many more days before I get another response.

Edit: Finally they unlocked my account. Got a response the same day no less.

Malgrave is the easiest gold after Crimelords imo. There are a couple paths that are quite simple.

The only things to watch out for:

Poisoned food, it can add up and pugs are bad at checking for it, but ANY food (including the little 'instant pickup' food, can have a green glowing circle underneath it when you get close to it, that food is bad and will reduce all caravan members' hp by 1%.

Lost caravan members. Go to curse, get the EntSpy mod, and set it to have the adventure module checked. This is helpful in WotW for similar reasons. Lost caravan members are the ONLY way I ever lost prior to this mod existing, because the caravan leader will say "oh they went off south" and they actually went far east and like, one pixel south, so he says the wrong shit. Also you won't get the location bar sometimes, or they'll be very far in the wrong direction, lots of bullshit can happen. With Entspy you can see them, period. They never go too far away for it to see them if you're on the caravan. Since installing this mod I have only lost gold once because of that (A caravan guy went UP A FUCKING CLIFF and was impossible to save).

The routes: If you have a group you can trust, IE not a pug that won't listen type group, you go Greenleaf, Winged Furycrest, Camp, do the teleporter puzzle (3 types of items, 5 slots, just go 1 of everything and 2 random others first, he'll say "We need more of item x" then you go 3 of that, 1 of the others, he'll either get it working or he'll say 'more of item y' and you then go 2 2 1. It's not hard. There will be a dreg attack during this, so the tank and healer should hang back, once he says 'dreg are attacking' CHECK THE MINIMAP for the red dots and jump them immediately. This is a risky moment since a dreg jumping someone can almost one shot them.

At this point, either you fix the teleporter, or you fuck it up.
If you fix it, go to rumbling fields, and someone needs to talk to the caravan once it comes through. Everyone else can run far south, ignore the caravan, and just pick up supplies. Once they're walking down the minefield do not get near them - players set off mines, caravan members do not. Just grab supplies until they get near the end. You'll run out of food if at least 1 person deosn't go up to Sea whatever, south of there, and kill some oxians. They drop a lot of food.
After they get south, choose Seaview, go up to the plateau right there, mobs will have spawned, killthose before the caravan comes (and be ready for chompacobra attacks or food spillage etc). The 'heat exhaustion' you just run through, it's only small patches. You'll fight a boss up top here that just spins around and otherwise doesn't do much - interrupt elemental split if anything, but mostly just avoid standing in his whirlwinds.
Once he dies, choose Skywing village. This is the home stretch - just get lost caravan members, kill the trash in the way, and pick up supplies. You're almost done, if you have like ~60 of everything at this point they won't even run out. At skyview you fight a boss with some trash, VERY easy. Then you just kill wolves on their way into town. 30/30 = gold.

IF you FAIL the teleporter, go through the sandy hive. you'll need to have someone go and turn off every fireflower before you get near them for the next two sections, missing one will probably cost you gold (fireflowers are just right clicked and F key spammed to turn off, if they stay on they spit flame patches all over). Kill what you need to in sandy hive, get a ton of food from the bugs.
Head to the dreg camp next, I forget what it's called. You go and kill their leader (skip any trash you can in the camp - it despawns when you fight the leader).
Pick uboshuwa, if a camp option comes up let em rest for a minute, I forget if one does or not this way but I think so. At Uboshuwa you fight some bosses and then get on a boat and win. 30/30.

Tempest is also VERY easy imo, but it's got a few situations that will be frustrating (like all adventures). The things to have are snares on bars for bunker busters and tanks. The only really shit situations are if you get bunker buster, tank, tank, or something ridiculous like that, coming from separate directions. You need VERY high dps and snare coverage to handle that type of situation.

Other things to watch for: Saboteurs - when you get the message about sabs, go back to your generator and AE around it if possible. they'll plant bombs that you have to disarm, also if mines are near the generator - blow them up, they'll interrupt you if saboteurs come. Otherwise mines are best for you to run bosses and mobs over since they get hit too.

The warrior boss. This guy is the douche of the instance, nto too bad if it's an early wave, but later on he can wipe you fast due to low morale. He'll jump someone, knock everyone back, and channel an unhealable damage spike on them, plate can survive, medium can sometimes survive ok, and light will die if you don't interrupt it. He's got...3? interrupt armor, and casts it pretty often, so it's really shitty and overtuned imo. make sure to get him aggroed on as many of your NPCs as possible since he'll jump on them sometimes, I've 2 manned it with tank + healer + npcs from like 75% to dead before.

Now that being said, getting him last or next to last can cost you gold on an otherwise flawless run. There's an exploit you can use which I would PROBABLY do if I were pugging it - when you get to like between rounds 3 and 4, instead of setting your troops have everyone port to housing, and then hit N and teleport back into the instance. Resets your morale. You definitely don't need to do this to win, but if you haven't gotten the warrior yet by round 3 in a pug it's probably a good call. You kill the last two bosses monumentally slow otherwise and he'll wreck you - the rest are cake.

Thanks a lot for the write-up. I'll try Malgrave and Tempest with my friends tonight.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Level 30 WOOOOOO

Got to Farside. I'm on the moon! This game's atmosphere is really something else.

frozencool

Neo Member
Curious about who I should whisper/pm/stalk for an invite to the GAF Exiles guild on Orias. Really liking how this game just has so much wanton shit to do.

So this happened. :\

INXbPPF.jpg

Was running Vet Adventures for the rep part of my Attunement. Got out of one and ONE FREAKING POINT away...

frozencool

Neo Member
That'd be me. Frozen, what is your character name?

Thanks a bunch, IGN is Code

You know between getting wicked high with the Lopp and the explorer flags turning the game from an epic journey into EVERYBODY SUPER SOOOOONIC RACING, somehow the Amazons just outside Sylvan Glade are just insanity I'm readily willing to accept at this point.

TheYanger

You need a trial key from someone,e veryone that buys it has gotten 3. There's been a list and tons of them given out in this thread.

MightyKAC

Throwing this out there once more in case someone out there can help me out...

I just started playing this a few days ago and I'm really having fun with this game. But I'd really like to get on and on some GAF guild action. So what I'd really like to know is what's the best server to play on to play with others around here if I'm gaming on Japan Standard time?

ACE 1991

So to anyone who really could never get into Guild Wars 2, how are you liking this game? I realize that they are different beasts, but GW2 seems like the most recent critically acclaimed MMO. Something about the combat of that title really killed it for me despite there being many interesting systems.

So to anyone who really could never get into Guild Wars 2, how are you liking this game? I realize that they are different beasts, but GW2 seems like the most recent critically acclaimed MMO. Something about the combat of that title really killed it for me despite there being many interesting systems.
If it's the combat that killed Guild Wars 2 for you, I'm really not sure Wildstar will be for you.

What killed Guild Wars 2 for most people, myself included, was the complete lack of endgame content. And Wildstar makes up for that. I was just finishing up the last main story quest on my Spellslinger, and realized how happy I was that I found something to replace what's been missing ever since I stopped playing World of Warcraft.

The combat's really similar to Guild Wars 2 though, but less like every other MMO in that you actually have to aim your attacks, and most of the time it doesn't matter what enemy you're targeting, as they just have to be in your telegraph.

Also, if it was the complete lack of a holy trinity (DPS, Tank, Healer), then Wildstar should fix that for you. It's even more awesome that each class can play as two roles. I never understood why World of Warcraft allowed a Priest or a Paladin to be kickass at both their roles, then give the Mage and Rogue one role each. And don't even get me started on the Druid.

ACE 1991

If it's the combat that killed Guild Wars 2 for you, I'm really not sure Wildstar will be for you.

What killed Guild Wars 2 for most people, myself included, was the complete lack of endgame content. And Wildstar makes up for that. I was just finishing up the last main story quest on my Spellslinger, and realized how happy I was that I found something to replace what's been missing ever since I stopped playing World of Warcraft.

The combat's really similar to Guild Wars 2 though, but less like every other MMO in that you actually have to aim your attacks, and most of the time it doesn't matter what enemy you're targeting, as they just have to be in your telegraph.

Also, if it was the complete lack of a holy trinity (DPS, Tank, Healer), then Wildstar should fix that for you. It's even more awesome that each class can play as two roles. I never understood why World of Warcraft allowed a Priest or a Paladin to be kickass at both their roles, then give the Mage and Rogue one role each. And don't even get me started on the Druid.

Hm, OK! The end game of gw2 was definitely a bummer for me as well. I would love to give this game a spin if anyone has a guest pass.

Hixx

downloading now, will be playing in a bit.

Decided to go Warrior class as I love me some tank action.

Any tips for a noob?

If you're playing Warrior, make sure you find the Hold to Cast option and tick it unless you like mashing your keyboard constantly.

nerv

I can't wait to get my new rig so I don't have to permanently want to slit my wrist for playing this game at sub 30fps.
Optimization is still a real bummer.

Giggzy

Yeah optimization isn't the best right now. I feel like I should be getting more than 30-60 fps with an i5 4670k and 290x...

Out questing isn't bad, usually stay around 50+ fps, but coming into a town with a lot of particle effects really hurts.

I play with mostly max settings besides view/horizon distance about 60%, FXAA 3, and shadows at normal.

I can't wait to get my new rig so I don't have to permanently want to slit my wrist for playing this game at sub 30fps.
Optimization is still a real bummer.

New rig might not help you. I still get 40-60 on a GTX 770 and 2700k 4.5 Ghz computer. Also after like an hour of play the game goes insane, dropping to 0-10 fps for 5 seconds every 30 seconds or so. Have to restart when that happens.

nerv

New rig might not help you. I still get 40-60 on a GTX 770 and 2700k 4.5 Ghz computer. Also after like an hour of play the game goes insane, dropping to 0-10 fps for 5 seconds every 30 seconds or so. Have to restart when that happens.

Sounds a lot like a memory leak inside the Carbine AddOns.
Have you tried deleting the NCSOFT folder in /AppData/ and replacing the targetframes or has this been fixed by now?

It's really unfortunate to see them still struggling so much with optimization, since it's one of the main reasons that keeps me from enjoying the game, because I can't do dungeons with dipping below 15fps and actively hindering group progress, because I die to every onehit mechanic there is right now.

I'll get my hardware on Saturday so I'll see soon enough if my fps issues are solved through this. If not I'll probably not renew my subscription, because there is little to no reason for me at this point.

oktarb

Hit level 14 and got my first home. Man oh man are things expensive. My biggest complaint about the game is their bad call to carry over the "only two crafting professions at a time" game concept. Come on guys I don't want to have to switch to mining to get iron ore and then back to survivalist to get trees. Just let me craft at will.

aka_bueno

I'm honestly not holding my breath anymore for much optimization unfortunately. They've already released the bulk of performance patches and hotfixes that they've talked about and they haven't responded or said a word regarding any more performance stuff in any of their forum threads or other outlets like they did before.

Performance has actually gotten worse for some people I've noticed, many complained that one of the recent patches that stated it would help with the stuttering, decreased overall performance slightly. But it did get reduce the really bad stuttering every now and then.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Tempted to get this with it on offer for 25% off.

Is there a trial version I can try or is that limited to the 7-day passes?

TheYanger

the only real performance issue I've had for a long time are just memory leak related - there are still ui elements leaking, and it causes noticeable dips over time. If the game starts running badly just restart it, that fixes it. Is it ideal? no, but I mean I've only got 6 gigs of ram and I only have to do it every few hours, it's not TOO bad.

I'm honestly not holding my breath anymore for much optimization unfortunately. They've already released the bulk of performance patches and hotfixes that they've talked about and they haven't responded or said a word regarding any more performance stuff in any of their forum threads or other outlets like they did before.

Performance has actually gotten worse for some people I've noticed, many complained that one of the recent patches that stated it would help with the stuttering, decreased overall performance slightly. But it did get reduce the really bad stuttering every now and then.

They've said multiple times that optimization is an ongoing process and wouldn't stop after release. Just because they're not repeating it over and over in threads doesn't mean they're now going back on their word.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Where/how is it 25% off?

Apply this coupon at GMG: APIZS9-460INI-BL4WZ9

Works for both versions (Standard and Deluxe) until Friday I believe

docbon

They should probably disable the auction house for the time being. Half the shit I buy completely bugs out, whether it be stats wiping, or the item disappearing entirely. I was about to slot a purple support system I bought, then ~poof~.

aka_bueno

They've said multiple times that optimization is an ongoing process and wouldn't stop after release. Just because they're not repeating it over and over in threads doesn't mean they're now going back on their word.

That's what they all say though, that's like the generic line for every developer (for a PC game with troubling performance). It very rarely actually gets better after a certain point. But as far as i'm concerned, they're not going back on their word, they improved performance a lot already....it just so happens performance still isn't what it should be at. Maybe it's just their engine and them being new to it all.

ACE 1991

I hate to beg, but does anyone have a free trial pass they wouldn't mind giving me? One of the other players here said he would give me his when he bought the game in a few days but I would love to jump in earlier because I have a bit of free time over the next few days.

the only real performance issue I've had for a long time are just memory leak related - there are still ui elements leaking, and it causes noticeable dips over time. If the game starts running badly just restart it, that fixes it. Is it ideal? no, but I mean I've only got 6 gigs of ram and I only have to do it every few hours, it's not TOO bad.

Actually, since dropping bijiplates and moving to steadyplates, I've had to do this much less often.

nerv

I hate to beg, but does anyone have a free trial pass they wouldn't mind giving me? One of the other players here said he would give me his when he bought the game in a few days but I would love to jump in earlier because I have a bit of free time over the next few days.

Are you EU?

aka_bueno

Oh my god I just saw that someone made a 3D-space nameplate addon, it's called PerspectivePlates. This should have been part of the game, and it's silly that it's not. This might be the most useful addon in the history of Wildstar (lol).

Should reduce the nameplate clutter by like a million.

nerv

Unfortunately, no :( are the passes region specific?

Yeah, unfortunately.

Oh my god I just saw that someone made a 3D-space nameplate addon, it's called PerspectivePlates. This should have been part of the game, and it's silly that it's not. This might be the most useful addon in the history of Wildstar (lol).

Should reduce the nameplate clutter by like a million.

It's still vastly inferior to rendering the nameplates in 3D like WoW does it.
There is a huge thread on the forums and implementation should be mostly trivial, so I don't really know what's keeping them from doing it, since the issue stands for the whole of beta and release now.

aka_bueno

Yeah, unfortunately.

It's still vastly inferior to rendering the nameplates in 3D like WoW does it.
There is a huge thread on the forums and implementation should be mostly trivial, so I don't really know what's keeping them from doing it, since the issue stands for the whole of beta and release now.

Yeah, that unfortunately goes for like a million little things in Wildstar.

Surely though this add-on has to be worth it, even if it's not up to WoW's built in standard. Anything has to be better than how it is in Wildstar without the add-on right!?

I use Bijiplates at the moment, but holy god it goes nuts near the end of WotW. The game become virtually unplayable for me during the last minute or two of the adventure since there's just so many units and frames on screen, my computer locks up for seconds at a time. Thankfully unless people are diving into the middle of the pack and pulling aggro then it's not really a danger.

Top Bottom