• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WildStar |OT| The biggest MMO since the Big Bang

Yeah...after tonight's grind I think I'm done for a while. I dunno, the game just isn't very fun for me. I was in middle school and high school when I was raiding hardcore in WoW and now I just don't really feel the motivation to keep climbing the gear elevator, attuning, finding a guild, etc.

Kurodius

Banned
More and more every day as the price is going up closer to the end of the free month. If you max out your elder gem points for the week then every enemy you kill regardless of whether they drop an item will give you silver equal to their challenge level and I think quests give extra money as well. A full run of the Crimson Badlands dailies can net you over 50 gold once maxed.

So can you give me a timeframe of how much time it would take to accumulate the gold needed?

slash3584

So I just started this the other night, but im finding it difficult to "follow the quest path" or so to say:

NPC A sends me to kill 10 critters then, when I get to that zone and before I finish that quest, i get a call from NPC B with a new quest, which when completed makes me go to the campment/town where NPC B is.

Then I go back to NPC A after finishing his quest and the next quest is go to this new town where you will find great new and shiny stuff! Which is the same town that NPC B was in.

So in the end I feel like Im not doing the "default quest route" and spoiling some sense of discovery in the game. Maybe im overleveled or something?

TheYanger

So I just started this the other night, but im finding it difficult to "follow the quest path" or so to say:

NPC A sends me to kill 10 critters then, when I get to that zone and before I finish that quest, i get a call from NPC B with a new quest, which when completed makes me go to the campment/town where NPC B is.

Then I go back to NPC A after finishing his quest and the next quest is go to this new town where you will find great new and shiny stuff! Which is the same town that NPC B was in.

So in the end I feel like Im not doing the "default quest route" and spoiling some sense of discovery in the game. Maybe im overleveled or something?

Anything labelled as zone story or region story or world story are 'primary' quest things for the area you're at, if you just follow those and happen to do tasks near you as desired you're fine.

Won

I'm still only level 39, so I can't complain about endgame yet, but pesonally never planned to stay around after the first 2 months.

Only wanted to check out the housing, which was probably a mistake, because it's gonna be hard to enjoy another MMO without a similar offering.

Adent

Can't manage for sh!t
I find that I won't be resubbing either. I don't have the time anymore to come home at 8pm every night and jump into something that may net me absolutely nothing in return. As much as I love the dungeons, the adventures being a stepping stone into dungeons + bugs + the medal system is just an absolute killer for me. Dungeons are great, very fun, but damn the adventures are just flat out boring and a lot of the time just bullshit. I do have 1 credd I can use at a later point if they ever decide to fix the medal system.

Someone mentioned that credd expires after 3 months of being unsubbed. You should probably try to confirm that before you take a break.

Remmy2112

So can you give me a timeframe of how much time it would take to accumulate the gold needed?

It would take a couple days at least. First you'd need to max out your elder points for the week which means dailies for about 3 days plus mixed adventures/dungeons (with competent groups so you don't wind up spending too much on repair bills), PvP, or grinding. After that a few days more dailies and grinding mobs as that is where your money will come from. Once maxed the groups of weak mobs will net you 3-6 silver a piece, normal to strong mobs 10-20, and champions/five man bosses 1 gold or more plus any items you are lucky enough to find and sell. The price of CREDD is nearly 6 plat last I looked and will only go up more in the next few days.

For a chance at a shortcut select the salvage bag from challenges as it has a chance at dropping certain class AMPs that go for a good amount of gold or even plat on the auction house. If you manage to find yourself a trigger fingers AMP that will buy your CREDD and then some.

jersoc

is it possible to max ep with only dailies? the stupid servers go down all the damn time when i get home from work. kills me doing any instances during the week.

Eteric Rice

I think I'm going to stay subscribed. They're having problems right now, and stuff needs adjustment, but I feel like this game has a pretty decent future ahead of it.

TheYanger

I piddled around wtih the new stuff on the PTR a bit the other day too and it seemed pretty fun, I felt it adds some more 'stuff' to do while solo at max level, which I like.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
If this game didn't have credd, there would be no way I would stay subscribed right now.

I'd go so far to say that I regret my purchase at this point. I mistook a lot of their design choices and vision as being something I wanted to play. The developers and I have two separate definitions of the word 'hardcore'.

Coming from WoW, I like that this game doesn't take for-fucking-ever to level up. I got 50 in like 40 something hours played, that's nothing compared to most MMOs who try to hold your hand and teach you every intricate ability as you level up.

I love that there isn't buff maintenance, that the "valor point" system of elder points takes like no time at all to cap. The rune system is super easy and, while the RNG for which runes you get on a piece of gear is annoying if you don't get something good, it tickles the min/max part of my brain so I like it. I can get food buffs from a super easy to get housing plot.

But I don't like that you have to cap my EP over two weeks to start getting your raid attunement. I don't like that I have to get beloved with the main faction and it takes 2 weeks of dailies to do it.

This game is encouraging me to sign off and not do anything, because I have to wait for daily/weekly resets to progress at this point. And I'm still on the dungeon part of the attunement quest. What the hell is up with the amp system? It feels so neutered and toned down than what I expected from a giant wheel of stat selection. It's all pretty cookie cutter and it seems to be by design. You just go up your assault or support tree depending on if you're dps or tank/heal, and then you get a few points here and there in other trees. Why are all the amps so easy to get it's annoying that I have to unlock them in the first place, except for one is SUPER rare and hard to get? Why not spread that around to other amps instead of focusing it on just one?

When I finally got to do some dungeons, it was great! The bosses are hard and learning them is fun, it's like the level of difficulty out of a WoW raid, and its just a 5 man. The optional objectives aren't intrusive, it's just encouraging you to explore a little bit, there aren't multiple paths you can take...

Adventures however, boy did that suck. I really hate sitting around waiting for NPCs to do something, and that's all adventures seem to be to me. WotW is my favorite since you can skip the intro, but they really need to build in a simple system of choosing the path ahead of malgrave, and having the plan be set in before you even move out, and skip all the RP. Having all the good rewards be tied to gold without any reason to keep going if you get silver or bronze totally kills it for me though. Who thought that would be a good idea? Give even a small incentive to keep playing.

I don't know what I expected. The game isn't so much hard as it is just time-consuming, but without any rewards.

erragal

Lots of people with the same sentinent as my buddy and I. They confused hardcore with time laborious and miseevaluated the age of a huge segment of mmo fans.

Then their culture of 'hardcore with no conpromises' breeds an in game player base that expects unreality. Multiple times when asking for people in zone chat to try and get a traditional group together I was told to 'just use group finder'.

It's just not an environment conducive to meeting new people organically anymore. The concept of joining a guild without ever having played with anyone and never even seeing them in game just isn't what I want.

They have a solid foundation so we'll see how their nunbers hold up. Maybe there's a new generation of players with nothing but free time.

The scary part is for myself it's not even about gearing up. I have had a build planned since prior to release that would be a dominant healing build at cap. Not only has it worked flawlessly but I've managed to heal for 8 minutes straight to pull completely failed tempest refuge runs to gold. But the game asks for more than just your mind unfortunately.

Dunlop

I've been playing on my stalker lately. I think I just suck at Medic DPS.

it's not you, Medic DPS is currently terrible. Which puts me in a bad place as the guild I joined seems to have a ton of Medic Healers, I looked at speccing to DPS and the general consensus is they are terrible.

Ran a few vet adventures as DPS throwing everying that I had (I am only in blue gear) and I always came in #3

erragal

There is, but they play MOBAs, not MMOs.

For sure. Hell I play (well mostly watch competitive now) mobas too. They happen to scale with your free time really well especially once you're past the entry barrier. Then if you want to master them the time investment spikes again.

With this traditional mmo model the time investment is -always- intense and honestly not really commensurate with the reward proposition. Not in terms of gear, but just overall progression.

When I played Storm Legion last nov-jan I was raiding the highest tier content in a reasonable time just by being consistent. Those fights weren't particularly easier than Wildstar fights; just tested a different skillset. That's not even a remotely reasonable goal even if there was an organic way to even meet players within the game.

As with all things no matter what their stated stance the player count will determine their course of action.

LtOrange

Fellow widow dominion players- I am looking for some harvesting neighbors. I was hoping to add some people who have harvesting plots on their house. I currently have a tier 3 mineral plot set at 50/50 and would love to have some help with gathering mats.

Add me ingame: LtOrange

erragal

Well I am still having a fun time just leveling up.

Also, world pvp is the shit in this game.

Yup. That part of the game is spot on. The game is very conducive to ultra casual play as well with so many little things to do that are simple fun and rewarding on your own. World pvp is great because of well placed hubs and interlocking/shared quest lines.

Azzurri

That's the problem with themepark MMO's it's always the same old same old at cap. I'm not saying sandbox's are any better, but at least you can do whatever w/o feeling like you're not doing what you should be doing like 'raiding' to progress.

It's the reason I didn't pick up WS because I knew this is what would happen once people start hitting the cap.

So I got a bit hyped due to watching some videos, but this thread has brought me a bit down to earth. It is sad that the game is having problems. I was really wanting a sequel to City of Heroes/Villains. However, there is nothing coming out in July so I may buy this game anyways and sub when the issues get resolved.

Ferny

I've only done Dominion so I can't speak to Exile. In my opinion, you gotta go settler for those sweet, sweet buffs.

Giggzy

So, Dominion or Exile?

And what path is good?

Choose whichever faction you want. There are GAF guilds on both sides. I can't speak on the health of said guilds, but the GAF guild on Orias/Exiles seems to be doing pretty good so far!

Paths, again, totally up to you. I haven't tried out scientist yet, but out of the other 3 I like soldier and settler the best.

Soldier is probably the easiest path to do while leveling without taking too much time away. The missions are usually in places you're already nearby for other quests. They consist of killing a specific npc, or surviving waves of enemies.

Settler is fun because you get to provide questing hubs with machines that give you buffs, or giving a hub a mailbox, transportation, vendors, etc.. So you feel like you're actually contributing to the game and community.

Also, my trial was on a US account (I guess the trial key was US account based?)

I am in India, so I want to play on EU server. Will there be any issues if I buy the EU version for retail with my account?

Settler is fun because you get to provide questing hubs with machines that give you buffs, or giving a hub a mailbox, transportation, vendors, etc.. So you feel like you're actually contributing to the game and community.

Thanks! Settler and Scientist looked like the most fun to me.
I am going for Dominion because I like the Chua.

Bombless

Also, my trial was on a US account (I guess the trial key was US account based?)

I am in India, so I want to play on EU server. Will there be any issues if I buy the EU version for retail with my account?

It went fine the other way for me (buying US to play from EU). I did have trouble using my cdkey on the account. It took almost a week for support to fix it but it was right on release and they were swamped. I assume issues like this get resolved much faster now.

oktarb

Maybe it changes at lvl 50 but I feel so alone in this game. For an MMO there's never any global chat and I rarely ever see anyone else unless I'm in the capital city. Even then is very few people.

Mastamind

Maybe it changes at lvl 50 but I feel so alone in this same. For an MMO there never any global chat and I rarely ever see anyone else unless I'm in the capital city. Even then is very very people.

Alot of it has to do with having to dodge telegraphs and not being able to just auto attack.

Hixx

Oh dear. Was just doing a vet adventure with 4/5 from guild. So we had one pug: the tank. Anyway it's all going fine until the blizzard part when the tank pulls basically half the adventure on the way back, we wipe. Cue meltdown from someone in my guild - the guild leader nonetheless. I was in disbelief really... the tank left, followed by the guild leader. Guess it's time to find a new guild. Wowza.

So... yeah... anyone on EU Zhur know of a guild that is a) active and b) friendly? Tempted to go back to Hazak just for the bigger player base.

Also: adventures are boring as sin. Really wish they didn't have such good gear as rewards.

I'd go so far to say that I regret my purchase at this point. I mistook a lot of their design choices and vision as being something I wanted to play. The developers and I have two separate definitions of the word 'hardcore'.

Coming from WoW, I like that this game doesn't take for-fucking-ever to level up. I got 50 in like 40 something hours played, that's nothing compared to most MMOs who try to hold your hand and teach you every intricate ability as you level up.

Amusingly I agree with the first statement there, but then not the second. I really wanted a game where it took longer to level, where people weren't rushed to the end for the real game to start, and the journey there was more hardcore, so to speak. Sure, a good endgame when you get there is nice but I just didn't want that the thing that needed to be focused on so fast since there really is only a number of ways you can make that last a long time.

M.Steiner

So... yeah... anyone on EU Zhur know of a guild that is a) active and b) friendly? Tempted to go back to Hazak just for the bigger player base.
Leaving/left the GAF guild?
Haven't really befriended any other guilds as of yet I'm afraid so can't really help there. Mine and my brothers playtimes were cut down quite a bit this past week+ with my Dad being taken into intensive care unfortunately, as such neither of us have been ingame much. Managed to get some gametime in this last day or so though which has been nice, chugging away to 50 hehe.

Lots of you Neo Exiles folk planning to sub past the 30 day trial btw?. (I should be).

Hixx

Leaving/left the GAF guild?
Haven't really befriended any other guilds as of yet I'm afraid so can't really help there. Mine and my brothers playtimes were cut down quite a bit this past week+ with my Dad being taken into intensive care unfortunately, as such neither of us have been ingame much. Managed to get some gametime in this last day or so though which has been nice, chugging away to 50 hehe.

Lots of you Neo Exiles folk planning to sub past the 30 day trial btw?. (I should be).

Yeah left a while back - all really friendly but genuinely didn't think there'd be enough 50s on to do stuff together for a long time. Win some, lose some. Lost this one.

Sorry to hear about your dad, having family in hospital is some of the most difficult moments in life. All the best.

B00TE

I'm planning to sub. Have greatly been enjoying my slow burn across three characters. Love the combat and the world. Lots of things need fixing though. Hope Carbine gets to 'em soon.

Giggzy

Looking at the various responses in this thread, and I guess every new MMO thread that has come out over the years, makes me think that the MMO bubble has popped.

I can't see any MMO in the near or distant future doing what WoW did. The best bet from here on out is for every studio wanting to create one do so with a very limited scope of expectations regarding retention rate, and develp the game with that budget in mind.

I think the genre is slowly retracting on itself. I don't know if it will ever go back to being a small, niche market, but the casuals (not a dig on casual playstyle, talking about the numbers they bring in) I think are gone. They will either stick to WoW, or have moved on to LoL/Dota.

The best bet is to make your game for a specific market and start by capturing that, then maybe expand to the other markets.

I'm glad Wildstar is aiming more for the hardcore market, as that is what I miss from vanilla WoW. I'm not everyone though.

TLDR: Talking from my ass.

M.Steiner

Yeah left a while back - all really friendly but genuinely didn't think there'd be enough 50s on to do stuff together for a long time. Win some, lose some. Lost this one.

Sorry to hear about your dad, having family in hospital is some of the most difficult moments in life. All the best.
Ahh kk. Sorry to lose you from the guild then in that case but hope you find a new, suitable home in which you can get what you want out of the game :)

Not sure what I'll focus on when I hit 50. Used to raid in my vanilla WoW days but that was a long time ago now. Quite daunting thinking about going back to that scene lol. Might do some pvp for a while I guess, check the warplots out if I can etc. Hopefully Carbine have lots of pvp stuff on the way too.

(And cheers dude. Has all been very tiring and stressful... Just have to keep playing the waiting game and hope for the best.)

Is there any actually long LONG work at cap? Like, "sit your ass down for hours uninterrupted" long or is it the massive ammount of paced out and deferred payoff is what's eating at people? I mean, I had that pegged as a potential danger, but this early?!?

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Amusingly I agree with the first statement there, but then not the second. I really wanted a game where it took longer to level, where people weren't rushed to the end for the real game to start, and the journey there was more hardcore, so to speak. Sure, a good endgame when you get there is nice but I just didn't want that the thing that needed to be focused on so fast since there really is only a number of ways you can make that last a long time.

The whole point of leveling in an MMO at this point is that it's just a tutorial on how to play your class and get that muscle memory down. That's why you learn abilities a few levels at a time, enemies get trickier slowly.

They are really good at getting rid of the faff for some of the tedium in the game, and in other spots it's somehow worse than WoW for me.

Is there any actually long LONG work at cap? Like, "sit your ass down for hours uninterrupted" long or is it the massive ammount of paced out and deferred payoff is what's eating at people? I mean, I had that pegged as a potential danger, but this early?!?

Once you start getting into dungeons and raids, you can do that for hours, and it's actually fun. The Phases of bosses are all just right for me, they last just long enough that I don't feel like I'm beating my head against a wall and doing something monotonous for too long.

The problem is this long windy path of inconsistent adventures, dailies, and gear that is really annoying me. I'm sure once I get through this part though, I'll love actually doing the dungeons and raids.

The whole point of leveling in an MMO at this point is that it's just a tutorial on how to play your class and get that muscle memory down. That's why you learn abilities a few levels at a time, enemies get trickier slowly.

They are really good at getting rid of the faff for some of the tedium in the game, and in other spots it's somehow worse than WoW for me.

Meh. A fresh world to explore is why I love leveling. Every mmorpg that I've ever really enjoyed, the leveling was the part I had the most fun with, and that includes WoW where I spent over a year of game time at various caps doing endgame stuff. I just don't view the journey as something that should be speed through to get to the cap.

TheYanger

I think people really overestimate how much adventuring/daily grinding they need to do before they can hop into dungeons. I did a lot, but in hindsight it was totally unnecessary - VERY few parts of the dungeon experience are simply too hard from a gearing standpoint, in fact with just adventure gear my group DESTROYS dps checks in dungeons, it's trivial, the mechanics are what take work.

Just get a group, learn to interrupt, and you're set. If you're wiping, I can almost guarantee either your healer or tank or something is astronomically bad, or you need to interrupt/execute mechanics better.

EDIT: They WILL take work though and time, just like whoever said it was like wow raid level of learning mechanics. I've got archived streams of working on several of the zones, and successful runs on a bunch of them.

http://www.twitch.tv/theyanger/b/542095908 Skullcano for 3 hours - our current target
http://www.twitch.tv/theyanger/b/541326794 KV first time we silvered - you can see how forgiving the timer is there.

Kurodius

Banned
It would take a couple days at least. First you'd need to max out your elder points for the week which means dailies for about 3 days plus mixed adventures/dungeons (with competent groups so you don't wind up spending too much on repair bills), PvP, or grinding. After that a few days more dailies and grinding mobs as that is where your money will come from. Once maxed the groups of weak mobs will net you 3-6 silver a piece, normal to strong mobs 10-20, and champions/five man bosses 1 gold or more plus any items you are lucky enough to find and sell. The price of CREDD is nearly 6 plat last I looked and will only go up more in the next few days.

For a chance at a shortcut select the salvage bag from challenges as it has a chance at dropping certain class AMPs that go for a good amount of gold or even plat on the auction house. If you manage to find yourself a trigger fingers AMP that will buy your CREDD and then some.

I'm gonna take all of that as a cue to stick to Guild Wars 2, at least until Wildstar goes free to play (you know it's going to happen, and you know it's actually the most profitable option for the devs. If you are unaware, then I suggest you looks up the statistics before trying to argue).

TheYanger

I'm gonna take all of that as a cue to stick to Guild Wars 2, at least until Wildstar goes free to play (you know it's going to happen, and you know it's actually the most profitable option for the devs. If you are unaware, then I suggest you looks up the statistics before trying to argue).

Link said statistics :p Had almost the same discussion on Rerolled this week, never been any real proof that F2P is better, just that games that GO F2P usually see an increase in players (SHOCK AND AWE! Games that are doing poorly see an increase in becoming free?!?).

Einbroch

Banned

This is a ridiculous blanket statement that depends on too many factors.

jersoc

So does no one PvP? I think it's amazing in this game, but I haven't seen much talk outside of PvE.

i do sometimes. i've been focusing on getting healing stuff. it's pretty fast paced and chaotic at times, but damn it is fun. i only do the masks one. i don't enjoy the other that much.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Anyone noticed if their server is getting quiet? Widow doesn't seem all the busy anymore on the Domin side, Feels like it's taken a pretty big dive.

Jarate

Banned
I think Imight be done with the game, unless they magically fix all the Engineer bugs, make the game run better, and make it so its actually fun to level.

The nly thing this game has going for it is that the anomations are incredible. Whoever did the animations for this game should be given a lot more money. But this game lacks that oomph that drove me in FF14.

Also, being race locked of certain classes was an asinine design choice. Fuck carbone for not letting me play an Aurin engineer. I dun give a fuck about your goddamn "lore" reasons.

Everis

Banned
Anyone noticed if their server is getting quiet? Widow doesn't seem all the busy anymore on the Domin side, Feels like it's taken a pretty big dive.

Hard to say. On my server Thayd is constantly packed, but the game uses different instances in crowded zones (not sure about the capitals), so when the population dips there's simply less instancing so it's hard to get a real measure if there's a player drop off or not.

But it's not quite the end of the month yet so I doubt too many have left.

Top Bottom