• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WildStar |OT| The biggest MMO since the Big Bang

aka_bueno

I use Bijiplates at the moment, but holy god it goes nuts near the end of WotW. The game become virtually unplayable for me during the last minute or two of the adventure since there's just so many units and frames on screen, my computer locks up for seconds at a time. Thankfully unless people are diving into the middle of the pack and pulling aggro then it's not really a danger.

Did you update the addon and try the option in the bijiplates menu "WotW Temporary Fix"? I didn't know about that option when I ran it a few times, I have it enabled now but haven't tested it yet. A buddy of mine says it worked for him though.

I hate to beg, but does anyone have a free trial pass they wouldn't mind giving me? One of the other players here said he would give me his when he bought the game in a few days but I would love to jump in earlier because I have a bit of free time over the next few days.

Sent you a PM.

Did you update the addon and try the option in the bijiplates menu "WotW Temporary Fix"? I didn't know about that option when I ran it a few times, I have it enabled now but haven't tested it yet. A buddy of mine says it worked for him though.

Just updated it. I'll see if that helps. Thanks!

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
ty nerv, downloading now :)

(Averaging 9MB/s, nice!)

so i finally hit 50 on my esper.

what dungeons are the easiest to get use to healing and gear up for heals?

What i did for my healing Esper is find some cheap upgrades on the AH to start with, and then just did random adventures. I'd say the easiest ones to heal are Malgrave and War of the Wilds. Crimelords is not too bad, but the final bosses can have some intensive healing. Malgrave also drops the epic healing Esper weapon, so that's a great one to farm and is very easy to heal for the most part. The most difficult part is the water thumpers.

Also, i don't know your build but until we get some gear we have some serious focus issues. You'll want to run Soothe t8 instead of Mind Over Body and i also bnring Meditate tier 5 and Fixation tier 4. If i get low on focus i can pop Meditate, then Fixation and get back about 25% of my focus, and then can use Meditate again about 10 seconds later.

Someone please tell me what is wrong with expert research weaponsmith. 5%, 8%, 9%, and 17% crafts all fail. I've wasted so many fucking USBs and vouchers on this fucking bullshit now. Seriously pissed off.

Someone please tell me what is wrong with expert research weaponsmith. 5%, 8%, 9%, and 17% crafts all fail. I've wasted so many fucking USBs and vouchers on this fucking bullshit now. Seriously pissed off.

Crafting is fucking stupid. It's really useful for gearing up for Vet Adventures/Dungeons and stacking stats that you need, but the %-fail is just fucking stupid, as is 1-USB/day limit. On top of all that, the Adventus gear is a waste of time and effort. The whole thing is just dumb.

subwilde

So I just got to level 11 and I can feel the depth of this game(having only ever played guild wars and auto assault casually) slowly creeping in. I've been listening to podcasts and following this thread but quickly the talk goes way over my head.

Having a blast playing though, and it at least feels like I'm playing correctly :p

jersoc

What i did for my healing Esper is find some cheap upgrades on the AH to start with, and then just did random adventures. I'd say the easiest ones to heal are Malgrave and War of the Wilds. Crimelords is not too bad, but the final bosses can have some intensive healing. Malgrave also drops the epic healing Esper weapon, so that's a great one to farm and is very easy to heal for the most part. The most difficult part is the water thumpers.

Also, i don't know your build but until we get some gear we have some serious focus issues. You'll want to run Soothe t8 instead of Mind Over Body and i also bnring Meditate tier 5 and Fixation tier 4. If i get low on focus i can pop Meditate, then Fixation and get back about 25% of my focus, and then can use Meditate again about 10 seconds later.

ty, sounds good. there's a whole lot of crap here to do at 50. it seems a bit overwhelming and i played wow at launch.

Skele7on

Banned
Holy Hell, Played this last night and man what an amazing game it is!

I am warrior class with the soldier

On Contagion EU server Character name Misery :) I'm a level 8 but powering through leveling!

Kurodius

Banned
About how much game time is needed for someone to get enough gold for the CREDD tokens? That psudo-subscription is the only thing keeping me from playing the game at this point.

Remmy2112

About how much game time is needed for someone to get enough gold for the CREDD tokens? That psudo-subscription is the only thing keeping me from playing the game at this point.

More and more every day as the price is going up closer to the end of the free month. If you max out your elder gem points for the week then every enemy you kill regardless of whether they drop an item will give you silver equal to their challenge level and I think quests give extra money as well. A full run of the Crimson Badlands dailies can net you over 50 gold once maxed.

Giggzy

So I just got to level 11 and I can feel the depth of this game(having only ever played guild wars and auto assault casually) slowly creeping in. I've been listening to podcasts and following this thread but quickly the talk goes way over my head.

Having a blast playing though, and it at least feels like I'm playing correctly :p

LOL, same reaction here. I got to level 11, or 12, and finally got to the location where I turned in the crafting quest to open up all the possible professions I can choose from. After choosing two (outfitter and survivalist), I became completely overwhelmed by the mechanics. So overwhelmed that I logged off for the night :p

I'm going to do some research during downtime I have at work today to become more familiar with the systems.

To you max level folks, should I wait to level up crafting at max level? I don't want to get bogged down doing them with my somewhat limited time to play. I'm afraid of taking forever to get to 50 and everyone moving on to newer content :p but if it makes more sense to level them up while leveling I'll do that.

Also, I'm not having that much fun with my medic compared to the esper, so I'm going to focus on that now.

LOL, same reaction here. I got to level 11, or 12, and finally got to the location where I turned in the crafting quest to open up all the possible professions I can choose from. After choosing two (outfitter and survivalist), I became completely overwhelmed by the mechanics. So overwhelmed that I logged off for the night :p

I'm going to do some research during downtime I have at work today to become more familiar with the systems.

To you max level folks, should I wait to level up crafting at max level? I don't want to get bogged down doing them with my somewhat limited time to play. I'm afraid of taking forever to get to 50 and everyone moving on to newer content :p but if it makes more sense to level them up while leveling I'll do that.

Also, I'm not having that much fun with my medic compared to the esper, so I'm going to focus on that now.

It's kinda personal preference. If you do some crafting while leveling you can make yourself gear you can use, but it will cost you money which is scarce before level 15 or so. You'll want to have around 10g 40s at level 15 in order to get your mount.

Giggzy

It's kinda personal preference. If you do some crafting while leveling you can make yourself gear you can use, but it will cost you money which is scarce before level 15 or so. You'll want to have around 10g 40s at level 15 in order to get your mount.

Good to know about the mount. Wasn't sure when I get it and how much it would be. With that information I'll wait on crafting until after purchasing the mount.

My next major concern is the trial ping to NA server is showing up as 500ms...although I don't seem to see that much lag in game.

Using the latency meter addon.

How do I do the trail on an EU server?

Retro

So do you guys think that a lot of people are going to leave at the end of the free month?

Absolutely. This isn't a knock against Wildstar in particular, there's just always a drop off in every MMO around the 2-3 month mark. It's the honeymoon phase and it can't last forever.

The real question is, how many people will stay, and is it enough to allow Carbine to continue to support the game? That, I can't answer (and won't answer since I'm a bit of a lightning rod), but plenty of games have had their population crash (Tera, SWTOR) and been able to survive.

If your only concern is being able to continue playing, chances are pretty good you'll be able to in some capacity.

Ferny

Absolutely. This isn't a knock against Wildstar in particular, there'sjust always a drop off in every MMO around the 2-3 month mark. It's just the honeymoon phase and it can't last forever.

The real question is, how many people will stay, and is it enough to allow Carbine to continue to support the game? That, I can't answer (and won't answer since I'm a bit of a lightning rod), but plenty of games have had their population crash (Tera, SWTOR) and been able to survive.

If your only concern is being able to continue playing, chances are pretty good you'll be able to in some capacity.

I don't think "a lot" of people are leaving. Of course there will be drop off, but I think the game is getting a lot of good buzz in many different areas. Doing a big content drop like this right before the free month ends is also pretty good way to keep retention high.

JLeack

Banned
So do you guys think that a lot of people are going to leave at the end of the free month?

Yes. I was pretty fanboyish about this game for a while, but its charm wore off. I had this exact same feeling with Guild Wars 2, although for different reasons.

I love Carbine Studios, and want this to be the next big MMO, but it has some serious issues. Let me just list a couple for now.

1. Combat isn't accurate enough - there are so many times where your aim is fine but the ability doesn't land, or you move out of a telegraph but you still get hit. It really hurts the action-oriented gameplay.

2. Extremely hardcore - I was a progression raider in WoW during Vanilla, and have been hardcore in other MMOs including FFXI, but now I'd consider myself right in the middle; I enjoy playing a lot, but not investing more than four hours per day playing. For people like me, the game isn't very enjoyable at elder game. It's catered 100% to the most hardcore MMO players with insane difficulty in all of its areas of content.

3. Non-immersive world - Just look at the layout of Nexus, the world simply isn't well structured. I absolutely can't stand the world design.

4. Bug extravaganza - Holy smokes, I haven't played an MMO this buggy a month after launch in a long, long time.

To be clear, I gave this game a 9.0/10 for being a very good MMO. However, I won't continue to invest myself in this game for the above reasons and a few others. I know many will continue to play and I'm extremely happy for them. Maybe my passion for WildStar will be reinvigorated with content updates.

I don't know, but I can say that I've already cancelled my subscription. I'm still into the game but I'm going to wait for the technical issues to get fixed and for all of those classes changes to happen. I'll probably check it out again at the end of the year. I've had a lot of fun with it in the three weeks I played it.

I'll play the July update and decide then. Leaning towards canceling for a few months to let them get their stuff together. The elder game to me is just not well designed, adventures aren't fun, dungeons are fun but the risk/reward is very meh. I think the game got rushed, and have no doubt it'll be much better after a few drops.

Everis

Banned
Yes. I was pretty fanboyish about this game for a while, but its charm wore off. I had this exact same feeling with Guild Wars 2, although for different reasons.

I love Carbine Studios, and want this to be the next big MMO, but it has some serious issues. Let me just list a couple for now.

1. Combat isn't accurate enough - there are so many times where your aim is fine but the ability doesn't land, or you move out of a telegraph but you still get hit. It really hurts the action-oriented gameplay.

2. Extremely hardcore - I was a progression raider in WoW during Vanilla, and have been hardcore in other MMOs including FFXI, but now I'd consider myself right in the middle; I enjoy playing a lot, but not investing more than four hours per day playing. For people like me, the game isn't very enjoyable at elder game. It's catered 100% to the most hardcore MMO players with insane difficulty in all of its areas of content.

3. Non-immersive world - Just look at the layout of Nexus, the world simply isn't well structured. I absolutely can't stand the world design.

4. Bug extravaganza - Holy smokes, I haven't played an MMO this buggy a month after launch in a long, long time.

To be clear, I gave this game a 9.0/10 for being a very good MMO. However, I won't continue to invest myself in this game for the above reasons and a few others. I know many will continue to play and I'm extremely happy for them. Maybe my passion for WildStar will be reinvigorated with content updates.

I agree in varying extents with what you've said. I still prefer the telegraph system to any tab target mmo, but if your latency spikes even a tiny bit or you're fighting on uneven terrain, it can be hard to hit what you're aiming at. The zone/continent layout could also be better. You end up needing to teleport to half the areas in the game, which IMO is where you lose the sense of an immersive, connected world. And yes the game is quite buggy, especially the UI, but its getting better with every patch and the majority of the bugs are minor inconveniences so I'm not too worried in the long run.

The thing I agree with you most on is about the game's hardcore aspect. It's too hard for the vast majority of players. I consider myself to be a pretty hardcore gamer, most of my free time on a day to day basis is spent playing video games and I'm fairly good at the games I play. But raiding in WildStar seems more like a fantasy to me at this point than a reality. I don't think any of the guilds on my server have even attuned yet. The game manages to be both very hard and very grindy for attunement, when it really should be one or the other, both is too much to ask of the average person. This is why WildStar will lose most of its player base. The housing and pvp are only gonna keep people entertained for so long, eventually most people are going to want to raid, and when they realize they either don't have the skill or don't have the time, or both, a lot of people will leave.

I love WildStar. It's the only mmo that has come close to the fun I used to have in WoW. But I fear for its future. The remaining bugs need to be squashed. The pvp needs balancing, its gear fixed and more content. As for raiding I think it needs to find a healthy area somewhere between its current state and WoW's hand-hold epic loot vendor raids. I think most mmo players want to raid, and they want to feel a sense of accomplishment when they down a boss in a raid, but they don't want to give up their social lives to do it.

aka_bueno

yep, but that's how it is with every MMO.

I'll stick it out another month, but ONLY because I bought C.R.E.D.D. a while back for extremely cheap (1.8 platinum) when it first went up. Otherwise I wouldn't resub.

I was probably one of the bigger supporters here of the game, but I have too many issues with it still. Some that I thought for sure would have been ironed out from beta going into release, but nope. The game is really solid, and has potential to be amazing but some of the decisions that went into this game are questionable and I just don't know if I'll sub past this next month that I use my C.R.E.D.D. up for. Even some of the smaller features I was looking forward to are a chore and I just ignore 'em now, things like dying armor. Over a platinum to dye my armor the colors I want? As if the game didn't already have WAY TOO MANY other money sinks ha. Same with the housing.

If in July, the PvP armor isn't fixed, performance isn't better, and a bunch of annoying bugs I still have aren't fixed then I'll be dropping the game sadly.

EDIT: And I also agree with the people above me, the game is too "hardcore" for it's own good. I got my raid key a while ago, but I don't even want to do the attunement process anymore, ugh. I thought I was hardcore, but I'm not if this is what it means to be hardcore lol.

Kalnos

Banned
I don't really have any complaints that are worth dropping my sub over yet. I would like it if:

1. They improved performance.
2. They fixed some of the more annoying bugs.
3. They offered some incentive to finishing a non-gold adventure run.

The only 'hardcore' thing that I'm nervous about, and am wondering if it may be too much, is '40' man raids. Just so many people.

yep, but that's how it is with every MMO.

I'll stick it out another month, but ONLY because I bought C.R.E.D.D. a while back for extremely cheap (1.8 platinum) when it first went up. Otherwise I wouldn't resub.

I was probably one of the bigger supporters here of the game, but I have too many issues with it still. Some that I thought for sure would have been ironed out from beta going into release, but nope. The game is really solid, and has potential to be amazing but some of the decisions that went into this game are questionable and I just don't know if I'll sub past this next month that I use my C.R.E.D.D. up for. Even some of the smaller features I was looking forward to are a chore and I just ignore 'em now, things like dying armor. Over a platinum to dye my armor the colors I want? As if the game didn't already have WAY TOO MANY other money sinks ha. Same with the housing.

If in July, the PvP armor isn't fixed, performance isn't better, and a bunch of annoying bugs I still have aren't fixed then I'll be dropping the game sadly.

EDIT: And I also agree with the people above me, the game is too "hardcore" for it's own good. I got my raid key a while ago, but I don't even want to do the attunement process anymore, ugh. I thought I was hardcore, but I'm not if this is what it means to be hardcore lol.

I enjoy playing it, but adventures are really crappy to grind with pugs. We don't have enough 50s in the guild to really have a consistent group to do them, and it seems like there are many more guilds recruiting than 50s out there so recruiting is not going well. I don't think i'll be getting to raids anytime soon, unless we end up doing a cross-server gaf raid group. Raids are my main draw to the game. The attunement really doesn't seem that bad. The reputation part takes a bit, but the other stuff can be knocked out at a decent pace. Silver on each adventure is easy, silver on the dungeons is doable with a pre-made group, i think the world bosses are the part that is the most tough.

Kalnos

Banned
I enjoy playing it, but adventures are really crappy to grind with pugs. We don't have enough 50s in the guild to really have a consistent group to do them, and it seems like there are many more guilds recruiting than 50s out there so recruiting is not going well. I don't think i'll be getting to raids anytime soon, unless we end up doing a cross-server gaf raid group. Raids are my main draw to the game. The attunement really doesn't seem that bad. The reputation part takes a bit, but the other stuff can be knocked out at a decent pace. Silver on each adventure is easy, silver on the dungeons is doable with a pre-made group, i think the world bosses are the part that is the most tough.

It's actually not to bad to get the world bosses if you join a circle that's dedicated to doing them.

Giggzy

I plan on resubbing after the first month. I've been enjoying my time in the game a ton. It has brought back those old vanilla WoW feelings that have been lost for so long for me. I also don't think I can go back to a tab-target based MMO after this telegraph system. It makes combat really enjoyable.

I'm not even close to 50 so maybe my thoughts will change then, but I hope and expect Carbine will continue to fix bugs and improve the overall experience. I'm sure there will be an exodus of people, as there are with every new MMO, but as long as a healthy player base sticks around I couldn't careless on subscriber numbers.

TheYanger

The only thing (besides bugs, which this game has tons as small as they are) that really needs work in my eyes is the incentive for non-gold medals in things. The entire medalling system is a bit screwy. The reality is, by the time you can gold dungeons realistically, you won't need that gear. Dungeon blues don't REALLY blow away adventure blues (sure, itemization might make one better or another, but it's not really a big deal). I do think people are way too quick to assume purple = better or that golding an adventure is the only way it's worth doing - that's horseshit and false, LOTS of the best pre-raid items are blue, and an item's worth, best in slot or nto, is MAJORLY factored by which runes you get, which is random. I can still get upgrades from every single adventure, even if it's not gold. and I'm basically set already.

I'll say it again but I believe there is a huge disconnect between the effort/time/etc. of vet dungeons (and to a lesser extent gold vet adventures). I can do the vet dungeons with friends, but do I really want to? The answer for me is no. Ironically, its the flip for vet gold adventures. Minus Malgrave I can do them easily with a group of friends, but the loot is so meh.

I don't really know a solution. I have a couple in mind but there would be so many "this gaem is s0 casual!11" it wouldn't even be worth it.

They need to

Fix endgame currency so elder gems aren't such a bottleneck
Buff esper pve damage
Nerf warrior damage a bit
Fix persistent bugs in major instances
Give more parity to gold silver and bronze rewards

Else I can't see myself subscribing for long. Th game has a ton of promise and I'm having a lot of fun.

Einbroch

Banned
Well, I cancelled my subscription. It doesn't really have anything to do with WildStar and just has more to do with where I am in my life and the genre as a whole.

1. I use GameFly and get WAY more value out of that than I ever would out of a sub for one game. I want to play a bunch of games and not just stick with one. Destiny, coming out this fall, is basically an MMO with no subscription. My friends and I LOVED the alpha and are going to play the hell out of it when it launches. Plus I just want to play a bunch of games, and with MMOs, I feel the need to invest time in them because I want to get better and better.

2. The time invested vs rewards given is just...not working. I don't have time to sit and run a dungeon for 2+ hours, and that's just one dungeon where I may not even get any loot. There's no token system, so if you don't get the upgrade you want, you literally just wasted a bunch of time and in-game currency. This game needs a token system and needs it BAD. I spent three hours banging my head against a wall earlier this week and ended up with over a platinum in repair bills and nothing to show for it. We didn't even clear it. It was incredibly demoralizing.

3. MMOs aren't my thing anymore, I think. I just think I grew out of the genre, much like I have with jRPGs. This circles back to the first point with how much time is required. Maybe I have ADD. Maybe nothing has wow'd me like EverQuest did back in the day. I don't know. I'm pretty much done with this genre I think, unless it's F2P, my friends are playing it, and the F2P mechanics aren't ridiculous.

I'll still update the OP with major announcements and people can still PM me if they want something changed, but I'm super bummed. This game needs some work, but I think my major issues are just personal. Oh, and I'll be watching the hardcore raiders raid. Like right now I'm watching Zybak, and since I invested a lot of time in the game and know a lot about it, it's REALLY enjoyable to watch.

Oh well, onto other games.

Jira

I find that I won't be resubbing either. I don't have the time anymore to come home at 8pm every night and jump into something that may net me absolutely nothing in return. As much as I love the dungeons, the adventures being a stepping stone into dungeons + bugs + the medal system is just an absolute killer for me. Dungeons are great, very fun, but damn the adventures are just flat out boring and a lot of the time just bullshit. I do have 1 credd I can use at a later point if they ever decide to fix the medal system.

Remmy2112

2. The time invested vs rewards given is just...not working. I don't have time to sit and run a dungeon for 2+ hours, and that's just one dungeon where I may not even get any loot. There's no token system, so if you don't get the upgrade you want, you literally just wasted a bunch of time and in-game currency. This game needs a token system and needs it BAD. I spent three hours banging my head against a wall earlier this week and ended up with over a platinum in repair bills and nothing to show for it. We didn't even clear it. It was incredibly demoralizing.

There is a token system in the game, sort of. Getting a gold medal in a veteran adventure, dungeon or raid unlocks purchaseable epics at the elder gem merchant. I don't know if it is the exact gear you can find in those areas or equivalent.

jersoc

I'll give it time.but the bugs are out of control. Wasted a plat respecing cause of them. I think some parts are stupid "hardcore" for its own good. We'll see,MMOs might not be for me anymore as well.

At times its really fun, others not so much.

Everis

Banned
Well, I cancelled my subscription. It doesn't really have anything to do with WildStar and just has more to do with where I am in my life and the genre as a whole.

1. I use GameFly and get WAY more value out of that than I ever would out of a sub for one game. I want to play a bunch of games and not just stick with one. Destiny, coming out this fall, is basically an MMO with no subscription. My friends and I LOVED the alpha and are going to play the hell out of it when it launches. Plus I just want to play a bunch of games, and with MMOs, I feel the need to invest time in them because I want to get better and better.

3. MMOs aren't my thing anymore, I think. I just think I grew out of the genre, much like I have with jRPGs. This circles back to the first point with how much time is required. Maybe I have ADD. Maybe nothing has wow'd me like EverQuest did back in the day. I don't know. I'm pretty much done with this genre I think, unless it's F2P, my friends are playing it, and the F2P mechanics aren't ridiculous.

I'll still update the OP with major announcements and people can still PM me if they want something changed, but I'm super bummed. This game needs some work, but I think my major issues are just personal. Oh, and I'll be watching the hardcore raiders raid. Like right now I'm watching Zybak, and since I invested a lot of time in the game and know a lot about it, it's REALLY enjoyable to watch.

Oh well, onto other games.

Bah, that's really sad to hear. You put so much work in to the OP and reading through a lot of your posts you seemed so positive towards the game. But I understand where you're coming from. I go through phases with mmos. If I'm busy in my life I generally don't touch them, and if I find myself having a lot of free time I usually dive in to one. And yeah, the amount you can play other games definitely suffers when you're subbed to an mmo, which sucks.

Anyway, this thread is getting depressing. Seems like a lot more people will be unsubbing than sticking around. Hopefully that doesn't foretell seriously population problems with the community about to contract so much.

Top Bottom