• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WildStar |OT| The biggest MMO since the Big Bang

M.Steiner

So does no one PvP? I think it's amazing in this game, but I haven't seen much talk outside of PvE.
I love it. I've not done as much as I would have normally though (battlegrounds), simply due to the exp gain from it. I do think it's great that one could level up from PvP alone if they wanted to but I've been a bit conscious of that at the same time. Haven't wanted to out-level my questing areas by doing too much of it so I've been deliberately holding myself back a bit. I expect to be playing lots more of it in a few more levels when I'm closer to 50 and don't have to worry about that too much.

Kalnos

Banned
So does no one PvP? I think it's amazing in this game, but I haven't seen much talk outside of PvE.

I do. It's fun.

My only complaint is that you should not be able to buy PvP gear immediately upon hitting a rating. It's going to be tough for some people to hit 1500 with so many people already running around in that gear.

eznark

Banned
I think people really overestimate how much adventuring/daily grinding they need to do before they can hop into dungeons. I did a lot, but in hindsight it was totally unnecessary - VERY few parts of the dungeon experience are simply too hard from a gearing standpoint, in fact with just adventure gear my group DESTROYS dps checks in dungeons, it's trivial, the mechanics are what take work.

Just get a group, learn to interrupt, and you're set. If you're wiping, I can almost guarantee either your healer or tank or something is astronomically bad, or you need to interrupt/execute mechanics better.

EDIT: They WILL take work though and time, just like whoever said it was like wow raid level of learning mechanics. I've got archived streams of working on several of the zones, and successful runs on a bunch of them.

http://www.twitch.tv/theyanger/b/542095908 Skullcano for 3 hours - our current target
http://www.twitch.tv/theyanger/b/541326794 KV first time we silvered - you can see how forgiving the timer is there.

I've only done one dungeon but the importance of interrupting at the right time was pretty clear. I ran it with half a group so at least there was some communication but I imagine it can be a bit of a nightmare with random people.

Giggzy

Hit 15 finally last night and had enough to purchase my mount. Picked the horse looking thing (elivar? Elquivar?) Any who, it's making life much better :)

In regards to the population dropping, I'm not sure. I know when I made it to Thayd last night it was pretty empty. This was around 10:30 PM PST. When logging off I checked the population of all realms and only a couple said medium with the rest on low. Could be the time I checked or maybe people are leaving.

Giggzy

Also, I really, really, REALLY love the art style of the game. The cartoony look mixed with cel shading is gorgeous. I sometimes think I'm playing windwaker!

Most cartoony games don't make me stop and enjoy the scenery, but I'm constantly doing that here. The two styles work great together.

Looking forward to doing my first adventure today as well. I had my first shiphand(?) last night and that was cool.

Einbroch

Banned
Also, being race locked of certain classes was an asinine design choice. Fuck carbone for not letting me play an Aurin engineer. I dun give a fuck about your goddamn "lore" reasons.
Actually it has nothing to do with lore. Classes are race locked because of animation and modeling.

Gonna end up basing my if i continue my subscription off the Strain content drop. With raiding not being possible for me at the moment, the main reason i am drawn to the game is mostly gone. Granted, i still love the game and think it's fantastic, i just have a very specific reason i play MMOs which is to raid and tackle end game challenges. The strain update looks interesting, let's see what comes of it.

Tankshell

Is there any benefit to questing in the alternate starting zones? Eg. as a human Exile, my zone progress has been: Northern Wilds > Algoroc > Thayd > Galaras > Whitevale. Is there any point in going back to do Celestion?

I kind of like the look of the zone, but obviously will get no XP from it for being too high a level.

I think Imight be done with the game, unless they magically fix all the Engineer bugs, make the game run better, and make it so its actually fun to level.

The nly thing this game has going for it is that the anomations are incredible. Whoever did the animations for this game should be given a lot more money. But this game lacks that oomph that drove me in FF14.

Also, being race locked of certain classes was an asinine design choice. Fuck carbone for not letting me play an Aurin engineer. I dun give a fuck about your goddamn "lore" reasons.

For the fact there's no racials in the game, it at least gels with the lore, and every race can do all three of the Trinity, that's very good.

Hixx

Is there any benefit to questing in the alternate starting zones? Eg. as a human Exile, my zone progress has been: Northern Wilds > Algoroc > Thayd > Galaras > Whitevale. Is there any point in going back to do Celestion?

I kind of like the look of the zone, but obviously will get no XP from it for being too high a level.

Great for farming faction reputation for the attunement quest and then there's decor from challenges, I suppose.

FrsDvl

I asked last week, but gonna try again. Does anyone happen to have a guest pass left? Preferably for North american servers? EU is fine too!

I really want to play this game again, i haven't played since one of the beta weekends. Been way too broke to buy it unfortunately, but might buy it this July, so would love to get a few levels in before i get the full game!

I asked last week, but gonna try again. Does anyone happen to have a guest pass left? Preferably for North american servers? EU is fine too!

I really want to play this game again, i haven't played since one of the beta weekends. Been way too broke to buy it unfortunately, but might buy it this July, so would love to get a few levels in before i get the full game!

Sent ya a PM.

Dunlop

Great for farming faction reputation for the attunement quest and then there's decor from challenges, I suppose.

I wanted to do this, but couldn't figure out how to get there lol (Celestion)

I'm 2k shy of beloved with Exile, I'll just run some adventures and do my dailies and should be good in the next 2 days.

Anyone know if they have any plans to fix the medic weapon bug? All my animations are either with my bare hands or my mining pick. I thought it was a client issue but others have the same issue and see me wit the pick in my hand when I attack

It is becoming less cute

Kraftwerk

Would love a guest-pass also ( North America) if anyone has one. On the verge of getting this, but want to play it first to be sure its for me.

Castcoder

Banned
I need to renew my subscription soon. I've been playing less lately, but want to get back in. Choices... I really hate subscription models.

Kurodius

Banned
Link said statistics :p Had almost the same discussion on Rerolled this week, never been any real proof that F2P is better, just that games that GO F2P usually see an increase in players (SHOCK AND AWE! Games that are doing poorly see an increase in becoming free?!?).

This is a ridiculous blanket statement that depends on too many factors.

I am still amazed by how many people do not know this about going free to play yet.

You want some follow up? I google searched "free to play transition." This was the first result:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/danielt...cription-transition-mmorpgs-and-free-to-play/

For those of you who don't want to click it, this article contains an interview with Scott Hartsman, CEO of Trion Worlds, about Rift's transition to free to play. He says "Our daily active users jumped around 300% after the free-to-play announcement" (as TheYanger pointed out, not a big surprise), but the most important quote is just a little past that:

"Revenue increased more than five times."

Yeah, I guess there really is no "real proof." Just testimony from developers like Trion, Turbine, Sony Online Entertainment, and Bluehole Studio saying how the transition from subscription multiplies your playerbase and increases incoming revenue.

Retro

I am still amazed by how many people do not know this about going free to play yet.

I can't remember the exact figure, but I believe Tera went from less than 10k subscribers to over a million users the first month it went F2P too.

It's a really good move for games that can't maintain a stable population (and to be fair, only three MMOs in the last 10 years have been able to do that) and allows them to at least try and turn a profit. The other option is shutting down.

Guy entered the thread looking for a fight. Why indulge him?

Yeah, he kinda did, but with so many folks in here making the hard decision not to renew their subscription, it's kind of relevant; when the game goes F2P that's a lot of people who will likely pick the game back up.

Mastamind

With raiding not being possible for me at the moment, the main reason i am drawn to the game is mostly gone..

Is this based on how many guildies are 50? The numbers are making me sad too :(

How are the numbers on exile side in paradoxical? I see some of them running around in crimson badlands every so often.

Haroon

I reached level 50 because the developers stated that the content would be very very difficult, and 'hardcore'. I wasn't sure what they meant by hardcore, but after experiencing some of the content, I decided that the game is not made for the likes of me.

The hardcore part is consisted of spending a tremendous amount of time playing the game, and doing activities that reward you very little for the effort that you put into it. The eighteen year old me would have loved every second of it because I had plenty of free time to go through the hoops of these games. Now? Like many of the other players in this thread, I can not devote the amount of time required for me to play the game (it is primarily the raid content that I was interested in).

It is disappointing to see that when the developers state that the game is for the hardcore crowd, I did not know that the only hardcore part about the game is the amount of time you are willing to spend. My friends guild raids about four days a week, six hours a day. They appear to think that it is normal for a game to require you to put several hours a day to get any reward out of it. I think I have said enough about the state of the game, and the potential reason(s) why most people will simply quit. And it is my hope that the developers (Carbine Studios) fix some of these issues that many people may end up experiencing when they reach the max level. Thanks for reading, and have a great day!

Kurodius

Banned
Guy entered the thread looking for a fight. Why indulge him?

I entered the thread looking to see if the non-subscription model was not as demanding as I feared it might be. I received an answer and now I know, I would rather not get this game yet.

People, by now, should know that when someone says an MMO will go free to play, that isn't some attack saying the game is going to fail. Free to play is just the better option, and it is an eventuality unless this game magically devours WoW entirely as every other MMO failed to do. If it multiplies your playerbase and increases how much money you make, how is that failing?

I actually played Wildstar in its beta and enjoyed it very much (it's a marriage of the best parts of old school MMO mechanics and newer design elements to spruce up the formula beyond some gimmick), and I would like to continue playing the game at some point in the future. I just don't want to dish out the money for a sub game that has a $60 entry fee.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Finally getting back into the game after missing a week due to Steam Sales, god I missed it :( Widow is still going perfectly fine for me, bustling with activity though this may be due to it being very Oceanic-based so my timings are aligned with most players on the server.

I actually tried going onto another MMO few days ago, couldn't do it. Combat in WildStar has just spoiled me and I'm probably going to find it hard now going into other MMOs where the combat is just too slow for my tastes.

Going on vacation in 2 days for 2 weeks, so I'm not resubbing, but when I get back and based on how hard warrior is nerfed (I really don't have that much interest in Wildstar PvP, just want to see if they will reshift some of the burst into sustained damage) and if there are any changes to the tanking side I'll resub. That gold change looks like a really good idea, have run WoTW gold atleast 30 times and haven't recieved my Tower Blade.

I don't mind hard dungeons, I just want the rewards to be adequate and for there to be a sense of progression.

Giggzy

I actually tried going onto another MMO few days ago, couldn't do it. Combat in WildStar has just spoiled me and I'm probably going to find it hard now going into other MMOs where the combat is just too slow for my tastes.

Same here. Tried logging onto my pally in WoW and I couldn't last more than five minutes. The combat in Wildstar is just too much fun. I was watching a popular WoW streamer last night (towelie), who is currently playing Wildstar, login to the WoD beta. I figured I'd watch him play for a bit to see what's new and I've come to the conclusion that I won't be able to go back to the traditional combat mechanics. On top of having to have 24+ skills bound... It's just not fun anymore.

Thanks Wildstar. If I end up quitting this game down the road my MMO playing days will likely be over because of it!

Remmy2112

Big changes coming to gold medal rewards, huge improvement imo. https://forums.wildstar-online.com/...d-medal-rewards-from-dungeons-and-adventures/

Yeah. Normally I'd just join a raiding guild but that's not an option in this game. My attempts at recruiting for end game haven't gone well.

And already you have a vocal minority on the WS forums complaining that this will give people easy mode gear, that the slippery slope towards WoW has begun. God I hate these types of assholes.

Am I interpreting correctly that the epic doesn't auto-drop from the last boss? Just a chance to drop?

And already you have a vocal minority on the WS forums complaining that this will give people easy mode gear, that the slippery slope towards WoW has begun. God I hate these types of assholes.

Honestly, Carbine brought that on themselves. They marketed the game as "lol so hardcore!11" that elitist assholes flooded the game.

Yeah I think the gold rewards have been spread through the loot tables, and higher medals will give more loot, and thus higher chance at epics. I could be wrong, though.

That's how it reads to me as well. Superb quality loot is no longer guaranteed by earning gold. In a way, it's actually a loot nerf.

TheYanger

That's how it reads to me as well. Superb quality loot is no longer guaranteed by earning gold. In a way, it's actually a loot nerf.

No, it's only a gold loot nerf. There's a BIG difference. For adventures in a solid group it might be worse, but for dungeons you're probably not consistently getting gold and truly needing any of it, they SORELY need that change. Gold dungeons are like hardcore raiding.

jersoc

I think I counted 25 or so level 50's in Paradoxical, but I don't think I've seen more than 10 on at a time.

I mostly play late night here.

I agree that wildstar hardcore is just tedious tasks. That's not what hardcore means. But given the adventure loot changes who knows.

Some stuff is fun. Some is questionable but can always change. The bugs are maim factor. They have cost me well over a plat already. I have 20 fucking gold left. Then I get a crafting daily that tells me to make the wrong stuff costing more.

The amount of bugs I run into daily are making me quit more than anything else right now.

No, it's only a gold loot nerf. There's a BIG difference. For adventures in a solid group it might be worse, but for dungeons you're probably not consistently getting gold and truly needing any of it, they SORELY need that change. Gold dungeons are like hardcore raiding.

I realize it's not an overall loot nerf, Didn't mean to give the impression that I thought it was.

This will be better for everyone who has to PUG these things and has the potential to be better even for people who can get gold consistently in their pre-made groups.

Everis

Banned
The loot rewards seemed like the communities biggest overall complaint. Glad Carbine got on top of that quickly. Hopefully they're able to implement the pvp stat changes sometime later in july. With the main pve and pvp complaints addressed hopefully more people will be happier with the game.

Top Bottom