• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WildStar |OT| The biggest MMO since the Big Bang

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I...I can't. When did I say this? What are you not understanding? Take Skullcano. Split it into four dungeons. One for each boss. No trash. You queue up for the "Skullcano pack" or whatever. You randomly face one boss. Change NOTHING else about WildStar. Just do that.

Look, it's just as difficult and not a giant time sink. I seriously don't know why you don't understand what I'm saying. Keep all the challenge, remove the trash, ie, the timesink. That's it.
Clearing trash fast with coordination is part of the challenge. Each trash pack has their own gimmicks.

jersoc

I haven't encountered one not yet on Orias/Exiles. I'm sure they're there, but I haven't seen on yet. Tree's everywhere for me. Are they in the higher level zones?

there are tons of bots. it seems to be lessing, though. i saw a lot in the 40 zones. same server/side. i havent seen any in badlands.

They should just secretly move all bots to a new server. Let the bots run around farming materials and spam each other with gold selling mail. Like some sort of cheaters queue in FPS games.

JLeack

Banned
I do NOT want this game to go the WoW way of basically making every dungeon be totally pugable from the get go. I want every dungeon to be challenging and difficult. I also think removing trash mobs is just silly.

Fair enough. But just know that the hardcore MMO community is rather small. I know I have no interest in WildStar's elder game as it is, and cannot recommend it to a single friend of mine.

This game can be fine with just a hardcore community, but it really does the game a disservice IMO. It has great gameplay and personality which could make it a monstrous game if opened up to the average joe.

Giggzy

Fair enough. But just know that the hardcore MMO community is rather small. I know I have no interest in WildStar's elder game as it is, and cannot recommend it to a single friend of mine.

This game can be fine with just a hardcore community, but it really does the game a disservice IMO. It has great gameplay and personality which could make it a monstrous game if opened up to the average joe.

Personally, I think they do need casual content even though I'm defending the hardcore nature of the game. However, that can come much later down the road. Right now they need to focus on the hardcore game as that is the type of consumer that will stick with a product through thick and thin. Look at how many MMO's have come out in the past years trying to cater to all walks of life and fail. Casuals are too fickle to rest your hopes on, they come and go from one game to the next constantly. But they can always be enticed to come to the game and play unlike the hardcore fan base. You lose the hardcore and you pretty much lose it all.

Just take the console war for example. Sony targeted the gamers first and Microsoft the casuals. Look who's winning? Always cater to the market that will stick by you and branch out later down the road.

Arken2121

Normally i'd agree since you need to appease the general market. However, the mechanics in this game are clearly laid out. Even the final boss in Skullcano which I first thought was insanely strong ended up being incredibly easy due to how the mechanics worked. It's really just a matter of "staying out of the fire." I just don't think players understand this concept yet even though it's fun and engaging and requires very little thought-process.

Edit: This comment wasn't to belittle the gameplay design but to understand that all you reallllly need to do is stay out of the red stuff and try to stay in the green stuff. It's up to you as a player to react fast enough and understand this or else you'll get destroyed by even the slightest wrong move.

jersoc

I'm sure they'll do a mix of content. Even blizzard only released raids for years. Isnt the strain more or less casual stuff? Its a whole new zone with daily quests, right? I don't think theres any raids.

Personally, i wish 40 man raids weren't around. 40 is a crazy amount of people.

Won

I'm sure they'll do a mix of content. Even blizzard only released raids for years. Isnt the strain more or less casual stuff? Its a whole new zone with daily quests, right? I don't think theres any raids.

Personally, i wish 40 man raids weren't around. 40 is a crazy amount of people.

So far Carbine doesn't seem to have a raid or die mentality for this game like Blizzard. The raid stuff targets a very specific and rather small audience. The rest of the game is for everyone else and there seems to quite a bit of it already with the groundwork already laid out for more.

Will it work out? No idea. I somehow doubt it. We will have to see.

JLeack

Banned
Personally, I think they do need casual content even though I'm defending the hardcore nature of the game. However, that can come much later down the road. Right now they need to focus on the hardcore game as that is the type of consumer that will stick with a product through thick and thin. Look at how many MMO's have come out in the past years trying to cater to all walks of life and fail. Casuals are too fickle to rest your hopes on, they come and go from one game to the next constantly. But they can always be enticed to come to the game and play unlike the hardcore fan base. You lose the hardcore and you pretty much lose it all.

Just take the console war for example. Sony targeted the gamers first and Microsoft the casuals. Look who's winning? Always cater to the market that will stick by you and branch out later down the road.

I totally get it man. They have a good battle plan. You can win casuals later, but not the hardcore. They need to win over the raiders right now, and it looks like they're doing a pretty darn good job.

aka_bueno

Since making a Dominion Spellslinger alt on Pergo, I've enjoyed leveling (so far level 15) through PvP a lot more than I've enjoyed playing my level 50 Exile Warrior.

Warrior is fun like for 8 seconds every minute, other than that it's just like ugh waiting for innate ability to burst while I just rampage in between. Already at 15 it feels like Spellslinger is more dynamic.

Cider X

Questing in this game is beyond tedious. Will I miss anything if I grind pvp and dungeons instead? I'm not speaking lorewise, I'm thinking abilities and important items.

Won

Questing in this game is beyond tedious. Will I miss anything if I grind pvp and dungeons instead? I'm not speaking lorewise, I'm thinking abilities and important items.

You will miss out on AMPs at the reputation vendors in some zones. But they don't require a very high reputation to get, so it shouldn't be too hard to push through a handful of quests.

Beyond that it's all housing and mount customization you miss out on.

Kalnos

Banned
If you want to skip the most tedious quests then just do the 'world story' / 'zone story' quests which have a blue outline around the exclamation point. They give a ton of xp and don't take forever. i.e. skip quests labeled 'tasks'

The only thing you miss by leveling PvP is rep. You need beloved rep with Dominion/Exile for attunement and you need a small amount with certain zones to buy some AMPs.

TheYanger

If you want to skip the most tedious quests then just do the 'world story' / 'zone story' quests which have a blue outline around the exclamation point. They give a ton of xp and don't take forever. i.e. skip quests labeled 'tasks'

The only thing you miss by leveling PvP is rep. You need beloved rep with Dominion for attunement and you need a small amount with certain zones to buy some AMPs.

This. Once you realize that tasks truly do give you minimal xp, you can be really efficient in questing. There are a lot of really neat quests, tasks are not them.

Giggzy

Finally was able to complete Stormtalon after many wipes, and it was extremely satisfying. Someone on mumble compared it to the feeling of downing a boss in monster hunter and I couldn't agree more.

So happy teamwork and skill is required for this stuff.

We two manned the final boss (me Esper healer and Adaryn the tank) from about 20% left. It was hectic but euphoric :)

Arken2121

Finally was able to complete Stormtalon after many wipes, and it was extremely satisfying. Someone on mumble compared it to the feeling of downing a boss in monster hunter and I couldn't agree more.

We two manned the final boss (me Esper healer and Adaryn the tank) from about 20% left. It was hectic but euphoric :)

And I bet you guys realized afterwards that those wipes were probably caused by incorrect positioning or a lapse in communication for removing IA. All things that are actually not terrible to overcome but are rather very consequential if you screw up(think Dark Souls).

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Considering getting this. If I were to farm credd for gametime, how would I do so and how long would it take?

Giggzy

And I bet you guys realized afterwards that those wipes were probably caused by incorrect positioning or a lapse in communication for removing IA. All things that are actually not terrible to overcome but are rather very consequential if you screw up(think Dark Souls).

Most definitely. Every wipe was a learning experience with each attempt getting better. By the end of the dungeon I learned how to have better focus management, when to AoE or tank heal, and of course what to run out of and throw an interrupt. It was great.

jersoc

So far Carbine doesn't seem to have a raid or die mentality for this game like Blizzard. The raid stuff targets a very specific and rather small audience. The rest of the game is for everyone else and there seems to quite a bit of it already with the groundwork already laid out for more.

Will it work out? No idea. I somehow doubt it. We will have to see.

This seems true as well. If they can keep things mixed up with patches and fairly frequently, I'm good for a bit. I don't hate raiding, I think times have changed and people who raided heavily in wow are much older, I know I am.

Also, fuck my 2nd shift work schedule. kills weekday raiding.

Also, is it just me or do adventures seem crazy long for the pay out? I really hate hour long dungeons. 30'ish is, imo, a good sweet spot. It allows for a few wipes with adding an already long time, longer. Then i've seen some drop loot that no one can even use. I thought this was done. Bosses in anything should never do that in this day and age. Just pissing off 5 people for no reason.

Got silver last night and it felt like downing a raid boss lite. Dungeons are really good so far. They separate good players from not so good. Way more fun than adventures.

RSLAEV

I cancelled my sub today. I haven't been able to bring myself to play for a few days. When I play this game I just feel...nothing.

If there was a demo for this game I never would have bought it.

Skele7on

Banned
Just got to level 21 last night.

So happy with this game, even though I totally messed up the "crafting your first rune quest"

I made a brutality instead of Grit so now I'm having a great time trying to find the materials so I can actually finish the quest because at the moment it's messing with my OCD.

Super enjoyable though I'm on server EU Contagion my player name is Misery!

I love how powerful my echari warrior feels, he is just awesome, really cant wait to be a 50 though!

I also have a Chau Gerbil Engineer called Lemmiwinks Haven't started using him yet though.

Remmy2112

So happy with this game, even though I totally messed up the "crafting your first rune quest"

I made a brutality instead of Grit so now I'm having a great time trying to find the materials so I can actually finish the quest because at the moment it's messing with my OCD.

I wouldn't worry about it. There is no followup and it does not prevent using the runecrafting system. You should wait to make runes until you hit max level as runes you slot in items cannot be retrieved and you will be upgrading gear so many times as you level up.

Lucifon

I cancelled my sub today. I haven't been able to bring myself to play for a few days. When I play this game I just feel...nothing.

If there was a demo for this game I never would have bought it.

That's how I felt from a couple of hours with the beta. Does it not improve? I'm really really wanting to get into a new MMO, just built a new PC at the weekend and I'd love to get into a new world to explore.

Giggzy

I personally have felt like every zone has gotten progressively better. I'm in whitevale right now. Depending how far you played in the beta, if you didn't like it then you probably still won't, but who knows.

B00TE

Hit 41 on my warrior yesterday. If I didn't spend so much time playing alts, he'd be 50. Just got a new stalker to 15. Probably the first MMO I don't mind doing the quests/zones again, at all.

Looking at jumping into some PVP soon or finally doing a dungeon. Haven't touched either yet, outside of beta.

Ferny

Just got to level 21 last night.

Super enjoyable though I'm on server EU Contagion my player name is Misery!

I love how powerful my echari warrior feels, he is just awesome, really cant wait to be a 50 though!

I also have a Chau Gerbil Engineer called Lemmiwinks Haven't started using him yet though.

I did the same thing. Just buy one on the commodity or AH and it'll give you the credit for it. Way easier than finding the mats.

Giggzy

Skele7on

Banned
I did the same thing. Just buy one on the commodity or AH and it'll give you the credit for it. Way easier than finding the mats.

you've made my day with this post thanks so much, do you know if trading works?
If so I might get my buddy to trade me his then I can always trade it back!

Still saving my gold for the hoverboard at 25 :D

Although the game sans a mount is at times frustrating!

Jarate

Banned
That's how I felt from a couple of hours with the beta. Does it not improve? I'm really really wanting to get into a new MMO, just built a new PC at the weekend and I'd love to get into a new world to explore.
I would i,agine FF14 to be a more sure fire thing where you know youll get your moneys worth

Wildstar is incredibly hit or miss with people, and even when there is a hit, the bugs and optimization make it incredibly difficult to even want to play.

Im kind of upset theyre working on a content patch already instead of focusing all their resources on fixing bugs and optimization. There should be no reason my 670 with an i5 is getting 30 fps in this game (and even dips into the teens) there should also be no reason why the bugs that have been plagueing this game still exist. Theres an excellent game behind all these problems, and its a testament that there are still people playong even woth these issues not fixed a month in.

oakenhild

Wildstar is incredibly hit or miss with people, and even when there is a hit, the bugs and optimization make it incredibly difficult to even want to play.

Im kind of upset theyre working on a content patch already instead of focusing all their resources on fixing bugs and optimization. .

From what I understand, this content was largely already done, and was in the beta for at least a little while.

Also, this patch fixes a lot of bugs (impressive list, in my opinion), not just adding new features. The patch notes are on the forums.

I'm guessing they have a massive team with many people fixing bugs, but others still creating content. In 3 months when there isn't a content patch, people will be complaining about no new content in their bug free game, if everyone was dedicated to fixing bugs.

From what I understand, this content was largely already done, and was in the beta for at least a little while.

Also, this patch fixes a lot of bugs (impressive list, in my opinion), not just adding new features. The patch notes are on the forums.

I'm guessing they have a massive team with many people fixing bugs, but others still creating content. In 3 months when there isn't a content patch, people will be complaining about no new content in their bug free game, if everyone was dedicated to fixing bugs.
Do you have a link?

Azzurri

I'd suggest ArcheAge, completely different style of MMO.

Did they break the engineer bots? My basic bot now constantly doesn't fight, you send it out to attack, and it just walks back and stands next to you instead of fight, or it just stands in the middle somewhere not doing anythign unless an enemy walks up to it. Keep changing it's stances and nothing changes. Kinda kills the point of it being a tanking bot when it attacks and just walks away.

Top Bottom