• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WildStar |OT| The biggest MMO since the Big Bang

The loot rewards seemed like the communities biggest overall complaint. Glad Carbine got on top of that quickly. Hopefully they're able to implement the pvp stat changes sometime later in july. With the main pve and pvp complaints addressed hopefully more people will be happier with the game.

It was for me. I think i'll keep my sub since that medal change definitely makes me more willing to run adventures.

I bought the game

I have US server access

My address is a UK one on account

WTF

If you just applied the code give it an hour or so, if it's still the wrong region after that contact support.

Hixx

Wasn't really feeling the engineer at 50 (engineer tanking was really, really boring and the bots were doing my head in as dps) so I made a warrior and got to 20 before the burst got too boring. It was BOOM BOOM BANG... hold 1 for 6 seconds. I wasn't going to dump my engineer for a boring 40 hours of levelling, even if they are powerful at 50.

Created a stalker and got it to 11, really enjoying it. It still feels like a burst-based class but at least it's a bit more active, never holding the 'base' attack for too long, always something to press, plus the stealth and the sort of tech-bomb ability you get adds a bit of depth to it. Just hoping this class doesn't get boring over the next stretch too.

It was for me. I think i'll keep my sub since that medal change definitely makes me more willing to run adventures.

If you just applied the code give it an hour or so, if it's still the wrong region after that contact support.

Still only US server selection. Support contacted, no response yet.

BAH

Zafir

Still only US server selection. Support contacted, no response yet.

BAH
Where did you get your key from? It seems like you got a US key, not a European one. The servers you have access to is determined by the region of the key you entered, not what address is on your account.

oktarb

Anyone else find the Challenges "Kill X in 3 minutes" kind of interruptive? I'm cruising along one a quest and then this challenge pops up so I either derail my goal or I ignore it and feel almost like I'm getting a finger wagged at me when it fails.

Mastamind

Anyone else find the Challenges "Kill X in 3 minutes" kind of interruptive? I'm cruising along one a quest and then this challenge pops up so I either derail my goal or I ignore it and feel almost like I'm getting a finger wagged at me when it fails.

You only need bronze, but if you want gold you can either focus on it right then, or just cancel it and retry the challenge after completing the quests in the area.

Everis

Banned
Ugh. My friend and I just started doing arenas today... him as a warrior and me as a healing medic. After about 20 matches and many losses we seemed to settle at about 1100 rating. I never remembered being anywhere near this bad in WoW arenas. -______-

Kalnos

Banned
Ugh. My friend and I just started doing arenas today... him as a warrior and me as a healing medic. After about 20 matches and many losses we seemed to settle at about 1100 rating. I never remembered being anywhere near this bad in WoW arenas. -______-

That's a pretty strong duo. Are you fresh 50's?

Warriors are mad OP with gear.

If you hit escape and go to addons you can disable challenges and then reload ui. Should fix it.

Respec for damage. There is really no point to healing in 2s due to the mortal strike debuff. Warrior medic is a very strong comp since warriors are pretty broken right now.

Kalnos

Banned
Respec for damage. There is really no point to healing in 2s due to the mortal strike debuff. Warrior medic is a very strong comp since warriors are pretty broken right now.

To add to this: straight healing may not be as effective, but absorbs and shields are.

Does anyone know if adventure choices effect the gear that drops at the end? (i.e. wotw boss kills, crimelords choices, malgrave path).

Just making sure, you selected EU as your region on the launcher right?

Tried that, no valid game account found in EU message.

Where did you get your key from? It seems like you got a US key, not a European one. The servers you have access to is determined by the region of the key you entered, not what address is on your account.

I just bought the digital version online. There was no option for me to buy US vs EU. My address in account is set to be in UK.

Now the question is whether I should waste a week waiting for Wildstar support or just play on NA with high ping.

Sweet Ivy

When is the game starting to be fun?
I swear I'm not trolling, but so far I find the game to be a bit bland (albeit with a very nice and intriguing introductory section but then the "pointless" quests suddenly started) and I have to decide whether to renew my sub.

For the enjoyment I've had so far, I'm not interested in renewing, but I think I still have to reach the fun point. If I need a few more levels I'm in, if I need another 50h of gaming I'm rather out.

So, I'm just lvl 15 as I haven't had much time to play and just started to explore Thyad, but the quests so far have been not entertaining at all. Some variety, mostly just kill this and that and then report.
When do I access the fun dungeons etc.?
Also, what level should I be to really have fun there (and no just die over and over)?

Any pointers would really help!

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Well, I had a lot of fun with this, but... I think I'm throwing in the towel. I don't have the time for MMOs that are this time consuming anymore.

I actually really want more narrative/story... I love the character and humour in this game, but it all seems hidden away in data-cubes etc. Does the story kick it up a notch at all??

Won

When is the game starting to be fun?
I swear I'm not trolling, but so far I find the game to be a bit bland (albeit with a very nice and intriguing introductory section but then the "pointless" quests suddenly started) and I have to decide whether to renew my sub.

For the enjoyment I've had so far, I'm not interested in renewing, but I think I still have to reach the fun point. If I need a few more levels I'm in, if I need another 50h of gaming I'm rather out.

So, I'm just lvl 15 as I haven't had much time to play and just started to explore Thyad, but the quests so far have been not entertaining at all. Some variety, mostly just kill this and that and then report.
When do I access the fun dungeons etc.?
Also, what level should I be to really have fun there (and no just die over and over)?

Any pointers would really help!

With 15 you should have access to the first adventure in the group finder.

The first 2 dungeons are at level 20. You may need some support gear if you tank or heal, but otherwise you can just jump in, since the game scales you down and you will die over and over anyway.

I don't think the questing is as bad as many say, but the intention is that you mix in Dungeons/Adventures/Shiphands/PvP regulary. So you can say it gets "fun" after level 15. Probably closer to 20.

TheYanger

I actually really want more narrative/story... I love the character and humour in this game, but it all seems hidden away in data-cubes etc. Does the story kick it up a notch at all??

Yep. Zone specific stories start to be a bit more overtly related to the overall plot soon, though replaying the early ones on my alt has made me see how they fit in as well. The actual solo story instances start at 35.

With 15 you should have access to the first adventure in the group finder.

The first 2 dungeons are at level 20. You may need some support gear if you tank or heal, but otherwise you can just jump in, since the game scales you down and you will die over and over anyway.

I don't think the questing is as bad as many say, but the intention is that you mix in Dungeons/Adventures/Shiphands/PvP regulary. So you can say it gets "fun" after level 15. Probably closer to 20.

Yeah, just queue for adventures and see if you like them. I think even in terms of questing the first 20-25 levels are the most tedious. There start to be a lot more random cool quests once you get to Farside (28) and even parts of Whitevale (22), and in general I found the questing got better as I got higher level rather than staying the same or getting worse like most of these games.

Sweet Ivy

I entered the thread looking to see if the non-subscription model was not as demanding as I feared it might be. I received an answer and now I know, I would rather not get this game yet.

People, by now, should know that when someone says an MMO will go free to play, that isn't some attack saying the game is going to fail. Free to play is just the better option, and it is an eventuality unless this game magically devours WoW entirely as every other MMO failed to do. If it multiplies your playerbase and increases how much money you make, how is that failing?

I actually played Wildstar in its beta and enjoyed it very much (it's a marriage of the best parts of old school MMO mechanics and newer design elements to spruce up the formula beyond some gimmick), and I would like to continue playing the game at some point in the future. I just don't want to dish out the money for a sub game that has a $60 entry fee.
I think you have a point, there is the dedicated MMOs crowd and what I feel are "casual" MMO players (such as me) that just after a month are questioning whether renewing the subscription is worth it.

I would like if devs (in general) would explore different "subscription" options, such as 15$ for a month or for 100hours of gaming (which would last me like 2-3 months), for example.
Or go free and make people buy the major updates (DLC kind of thing).
I don't know, but these days the subscription model seems harder and harder to support. Or at least does not work for all the potential players. And I have friends that have spent copious amount of money in Guildwars 2.

I like to play different games and genres, so I'll never play WildStar more than 1-2 hours a day on average (then you have the odd day when you play more), because I also want to keep playing my PS4 games at night and other things (es Nosgoth right now) in other moments of the day.

I reached level 50 because the developers stated that the content would be very very difficult, and 'hardcore'. I wasn't sure what they meant by hardcore, but after experiencing some of the content, I decided that the game is not made for the likes of me.

The hardcore part is consisted of spending a tremendous amount of time playing the game, and doing activities that reward you very little for the effort that you put into it. The eighteen year old me would have loved every second of it because I had plenty of free time to go through the hoops of these games. Now? Like many of the other players in this thread, I can not devote the amount of time required for me to play the game (it is primarily the raid content that I was interested in).

It is disappointing to see that when the developers state that the game is for the hardcore crowd, I did not know that the only hardcore part about the game is the amount of time you are willing to spend. My friends guild raids about four days a week, six hours a day. They appear to think that it is normal for a game to require you to put several hours a day to get any reward out of it. I think I have said enough about the state of the game, and the potential reason(s) why most people will simply quit. And it is my hope that the developers (Carbine Studios) fix some of these issues that many people may end up experiencing when they reach the max level. Thanks for reading, and have a great day!
That's interesting to read.
That's what I expect Destiny to change in a drastic way: meaning you play the core of the game since the very start and level up very fast to enjoy all the rest after just a short while.

Azzurri

People who are not resubbing what's your #1 complaint?

I had been following WS for years, but once more and more info came out I knew it would be the same old theme park roller coaster, and I just can't do that.

Einbroch

Banned

I had been following WS for years, but once more and more info came out I knew it would be the same old theme park roller coaster, and I just can't do that.

The hardcore nature of the game not fitting into my schedule. That's not really a fault of the game as it is more a fault of mine.

Zafir

I just bought the digital version online. There was no option for me to buy US vs EU. My address in account is set to be in UK.

Now the question is whether I should waste a week waiting for Wildstar support or just play on NA with high ping.
Well, US stores usually sell US versions, and EU sell EU versions. Some sites automatically assign based on your IP, I know GMG does that. Unfortunate that you got a US key though.

As i mentioned before, your account address doesn't matter. The key you enter determines your account region.

TheYanger

I'm still confused reading the posts saying the game is hardcore only in that you have to play a lot. you REALLY don't. I personally do play a lot, but I also don't really do any progression oriented activities for most of that - I like just chilling out in MMOs the vast majority of the time while I'm doing other stuff. There's barely any 'grinding' required at endgame, you don't need full best in slot adventure gear before you touch a dungeon, that's a horrible misconception. You don't need every item from Crimelords before you learn Malgrave or Tempest Refuge. The reason the game is challenging isn't because you choose to spend time in adventures or whatever, the game is challenging because the bosses are fucking hard.

When we spent 3 hours learning Skullcano before we silvered it, it wasn't because we were doing some tedious farming, it was because my group of 5 pretty seasoned vets were dying to mechanics.

Again, I just don't get it: You don't need to grind dailies, you don't need to grind adventures (though some gear is obviously pretty good to get), you don't have to do any of that shit very much. The only person making you run 80 crimelords for whatever reason is yourself if that's what you're doing.

Giggzy

I agree that the quests don't do anything to inspire, but what MMO does? When people just accept that? :p It's ingrained into the genre.

However, for those not enjoying them are you paying attention to the story lines or just powering through them? The stories are hilarious and definitely add to the personality of the game.

Hixx

I think playing Stalker may have actually given me another month of this game. So god damn fun even questing. Bots and inconsistent performance were making me consider dropping it, though. I must report 5 or 6 bots per session now, it's getting very annoying.

Giggzy

I haven't encountered one not yet on Orias/Exiles. I'm sure they're there, but I haven't seen on yet. Tree's everywhere for me. Are they in the higher level zones?

Hixx

I haven't encountered one not yet on Orias/Exiles. I'm sure they're there, but I haven't seen on yet. Tree's everywhere for me. Are they in the higher level zones?

They're everywhere. Even the lower level areas on Hazak-EU are riddled with them. I very rarely see Survivalist bots though, it's mostly Miners and the occasional Relic Hunter.

World story and the explorer path not being up to snuff. I was expecting something that would cater to the lore/exploration nerd, but it's all so...rote.

edit: also, my fingers hurt from spamming abilities nonstop.

TheYanger

World story and the explorer path not being up to snuff. I was expecting something that would cater to the lore/exploration nerd, but it's all so...rote.

edit: also, my fingers hurt from spamming abilities nonstop.

Scientist is for lore nerd. And you can enable an option to just hold the key down to spam abilities. Curious how much of the world story and datacube collecting and stuff you've done though tbh. I actually feel like the world building here is WAY stronger than any other MMO, even if it doesn't beat you over the head with a 'plot' for your character like SWTOR or GW2.

Einbroch

Banned
I'm still confused reading the posts saying the game is hardcore only in that you have to play a lot. you REALLY don't. I personally do play a lot, but I also don't really do any progression oriented activities for most of that - I like just chilling out in MMOs the vast majority of the time while I'm doing other stuff. There's barely any 'grinding' required at endgame, you don't need full best in slot adventure gear before you touch a dungeon, that's a horrible misconception. You don't need every item from Crimelords before you learn Malgrave or Tempest Refuge. The reason the game is challenging isn't because you choose to spend time in adventures or whatever, the game is challenging because the bosses are fucking hard.

When we spent 3 hours learning Skullcano before we silvered it, it wasn't because we were doing some tedious farming, it was because my group of 5 pretty seasoned vets were dying to mechanics.

Again, I just don't get it: You don't need to grind dailies, you don't need to grind adventures (though some gear is obviously pretty good to get), you don't have to do any of that shit very much. The only person making you run 80 crimelords for whatever reason is yourself if that's what you're doing.
I can't sit at my computer and play for 90+ minutes uninterrupted. It has nothing to do with the hours per week, it has to do with the hours per session.

JLeack

Banned
I think more than anything the hardcore approach Carbine has taken is what turned me off. I get why they did it, but I work a full time job and go to university. I can't be bothered investing 4 hours a day to do nail-biting content.

They could learn a thing or two from Blizzard and how they've managed to have content for players of both kinds.

I can't sit at my computer and play for 90+ minutes uninterrupted. It has nothing to do with the hours per week, it has to do with the hours per session.

Same with me man. This is also why I can't be bothered investing in a MOBA. There comes a time in your life where you can't just sit in a chair without moving for one to two hours straight.

Giggzy

It's what they advertised the game to be though. You can't fault Carbine for that, and place the blame on them. Their intentions of this game has been clear since the beginning. You should have done research before the purchase, because last thing I want is the game to turn into WoW. Go play WoW if that's what you want.

Edit: I'm coming off like a complete defender of the game and probably fanboy, these last couple pages. Sorry. It's just because most of the complaints I've seen have been because of the hardcore nature. But that's not Carbine's fault because that's always been the plan for this game.

TheYanger

I think more than anything the hardcore approach Carbine has taken is what turned me off. I get why they did it, but I work a full time job and go to university. I can't be bothered investing 4 hours a day to do nail-biting content.

They could learn a thing or two from Blizzard and how they've managed to have content for players of both kinds.

Same with me man. This is also why I can't be bothered investing in a MOBA. There comes a time in your life where you can't just sit in a chair without moving for one to two hours straight.

Then frankly, I'm not sure what you guys expected. Hard content isn't going to be done in 15 minute increments. Blizzard doesn't do that either. Heck, even running an LFR takes close to an hour counting queue times for most people. People were complaining that the game was 'hardcore' in the sense of tedious grinding, but it's not. If you mean you can't possibly spend an amount of time required to do a dungeon or whatever in one sitting, then MMOs are almost assuredly just not a genre for you. Not saying that to be mean, but that's the honest truth of it.

Dungeons aren't even excessively long when you do them at silver or gold level, but the thing is you can't have it be difficult AND have it be a 20 minute run every time - they take time to learn, and then they're not so bad to re-run once you can execute them. I don't see any way around that short of having a learning curve of 0 (which completely precludes the ability for it to actually be difficult, obviously).

I don't see anything in the messaging carbine put out that hasn't been accurate so far - game is challenging, and no it's not just rote tedium that takes time, it's actually just hard.

Edit: to clarify, in ANY game hard content isn't going to be learned quickly enough for that kind fo time constraint to be realistic. Even if the game is something like Mega Man, you're talking about increments of time short enough that you can't effectively learn anything and that's a game with like, 10 minute or less levels. Same in wow terms: Ragnaros was a 15 minute fight, that's reasonable! too bad it took 400 wipes over 3 weeks to learn it, the time investment to actually get down that fight, as short as it was, is VASTLY longer than what you're allowing. Wow is no different than Wildstar in this regard, no game is. Given that the message from the get go has been 'hardcore' and 'difficult' I feel like this part should have been fairly clear, that's why I mention it so much in this post. The only parts of other games that are fast are the ones that require zero effort even the first time you do them.

Einbroch

Banned
It's what they advertised the game to be though. You can't fault Carbine for that, and place the blame on them. Their intentions of this game has been clear since the beginning. You should have done research before the purchase, because last thing I want is the game to turn into WoW. Go play WoW if that's what you want.

Please quote specific people, as a grand majority of us are saying it's not their fault at all but rather ours.

I don't like these broad posts. Reminds me of "I guess you know who your real friends are" posts on Facebook.

Then frankly, I'm not sure what you guys expected. Hard content isn't going to be done in 15 minute increments. Blizzard doesn't do that either. Heck, even running an LFR takes close to an hour counting queue times for most people. People were complaining that the game was 'hardcore' in the sense of tedious grinding, but it's not. If you mean you can't possibly spend an amount of time required to do a dungeon or whatever in one sitting, then MMOs are almost assuredly just not a genre for you. Not saying that to be mean, but that's the honest truth of it.

Dungeons aren't even excessively long when you do them at silver or gold level, but the thing is you can't have it be difficult AND have it be a 20 minute run every time - they take time to learn, and then they're not so bad to re-run once you can execute them. I don't see any way around that short of having a learning curve of 0 (which completely precludes the ability for it to actually be difficult, obviously).

I don't see anything in the messaging carbine put out that hasn't been accurate so far - game is challenging, and no it's not just rote tedium that takes time, it's actually just hard.
I don't know where people are getting this "omg carbine lied" thing from. Like, no one here is saying Carbine lied or mislead. We knew what we were getting into. It just didn't work for us (JLeack and a few more). I would adore an MMO with 15-20 minute dungeons that are just a boss or two, no trash. Make it hard, make it difficult, I don't care. But trash is incredibly boring and just a time waster.

Games like Vindictus and the like do this quite well. It's unfortunate the game around it is not to my liking.

JLeack

Banned

I didn't say I can't do content that takes one to two hours, but I can't do something that doesn't allow me to go afk for a couple minutes. In this game, the content requires your undivided attention just like an RTS.

Giggzy

Please quote specific people, as a grand majority of us are saying it's not their fault at all but rather ours.

I don't like these broad posts. Reminds me of "I guess you know who your real friends are" posts on Facebook.

See my edit.

I apologize, not attacking anyone, at least that's not my intent. Reading through the last few pages and it's clear that is what the biggest complaint is. I shouldn't have generalized it though.

TheYanger

I don't know where people are getting this "omg carbine lied" thing from. Like, no one here is saying Carbine lied or mislead. We knew what we were getting into. I would adore an MMO with 15-20 minute dungeons that are just a boss or two, no trash. Make it hard, make it difficult, I don't care. But trash is incredibly boring and just a time waster.

Games like Vindictus and the like do this quite well. It's unfortunate the game around it is not to my liking.

Here's the thing though, there ARE twenty minute dungeons in Wildstar. But to get them to twenty minutes? That takes a lot of learning, BECAUSE THEY ARE HARD. It simply could not be any other way - if it was twenty minutes the first time you went in, it would mean the learning curve was nonexistent, which kind of implies it's not difficult.

When wow had hard dungeons (say early BC heroics), it took hours to learn those too. We eventually were farming them in like sub 20 minutes, but that was after MANY clears of them.

I didn't say I can't do content that takes one to two hours, but I can't do something that doesn't allow me to go afk for a couple minutes. In this game, the content requires your undivided attention just like an RTS.

Not sure I understand this, you can do that as much here as you can in any other MMO (IE: as much as your group is willing to not hassle you for it and wait for you. You're right that you need to do a timed run once ever to get silvers in dungeons, but those are pretty short besides Swordmaiden by default once you're at that point. Before you're doings ilvers, who cares if you pause for 5 minutes to go bio or whatever?). Once the loot is changed this coming month it means even less - the timer will literally only be for the attunement or for optionally wanting to gold the zones. I'd go as far as to say that anyone with this limitation is almost assuredly not planning to raid, in which case you don't need attunement (the silver requirements) and therefore NEVER have any time limit imposed by the game that you need to concern yourself with.

Einbroch

Banned
Here's the thing though, there ARE twenty minute dungeons in Wildstar. But to get them to twenty minutes? That takes a lot of learning, BECAUSE THEY ARE HARD. It simply could not be any other way - if it was twenty minutes the first time you went in, it would mean the learning curve was nonexistent, which kind of implies it's not difficult.

When wow had hard dungeons (say early BC heroics), it took hours to learn those too. We eventually were farming them in like sub 20 minutes, but that was after MANY clears of them.

I just listed a way that it could be shorter and still hard. A three minute boss fight, attempting ten times with a coordinated group. That's 30 minutes. Fun, no wasted time, and hard. And not three hours the first time through.

TheYanger

I just listed a way that it could be shorter and still hard. A three minute boss fight, attempting ten times with a coordinated group. That's 30 minutes. Fun, no wasted time, and hard. And not three hours the first time through.

So you want a game that is full of instances that are just a boss that takes 3 minutes. You can want what you want but I hope you didn't realistically expect that to be what any game does? Let's be real here, as much as people shit on trash, and you mentioned it specifically a couple times, the reason stuff takes so long is almost NEVER because of trash. When you're farming and never wipe to anything, maybe it makes up 25% of your time spent or something, maybe even a bit more, absolutely I agree. Learning things though? Not unless the trash is REALLY hard, at which point what's the difference between trash and a boss but the name? Heck, queue for Skullcano, there's a boss at the beginning with 0 trash that takes probably a minute and a half to kill. Go to town.

JLeack

Banned
So you want a game that is full of instances that are just a boss that takes 3 minutes. You can want what you want but I hope you didn't realistically expect that to be what any game does? Let's be real here, as much as people shit on trash, and you mentioned it specifically a couple times, the reason stuff takes so long is almost NEVER because of trash. When you're farming and never wipe to anything, maybe it makes up 25% of your time spent or something, maybe even a bit more, absolutely I agree. Learning things though? Not unless the trash is REALLY hard, at which point what's the difference between trash and a boss but the name? Heck, queue for Skullcano, there's a boss at the beginning with 0 trash that takes probably a minute and a half to kill. Go to town.

We obviously have different perspectives. You enjoy a huge challenge and the reward for overcoming it. That's cool, and I've been there. This game is for you.

It seems myself and Einbroch are here for entertainment, and don't get that from wiping endlessly on every day pre-raid content. From our point of view elder game in WildStar fails at being entertaining.

Einbroch

Banned
Vindictus did this. It can be done. But Vindictus is not a good game (the F2P system suxxxxx), so maybe it cannot be. Who knows, but no one's tried and succeeded.

The difference between trash and boss then is the reward. You get nothing, absolutely nothing for clearing trash except Renown (which is frankly worthless) and EP (which is incredibly easy to cap). Trash has a ton of health in this game. In fact, a lot of the trash has as much health as some of the bosses themselves. It's a time sink and nothing more. Do you think trash adds anything? Really, honest question.

And you keep saying that it will eventually take 20 minutes to clear. To get there, I have to spend 2-3 hours in each dungeon, gearing up and learning. And even then, this is assuming you're running with the same group and everyone knows what they're doing. It's not worth it to me.

Once again, this is not Carbine's fault at all.

TheYanger

We obviously have different perspectives. You enjoy a huge challenge and the reward for overcoming it. That's cool, and I've been there. This game is for you.

It seems myself and Einbroch are here for entertainment, and don't get that from wiping endlessly on every day pre-raid content. From our point of view elder game in WildStar fails at being entertaining.

It's fine if you genuinely don't want to play or find it boring or whatever, but when someone is literally posting that they want the game to be divided into 3 minute bite sized chunks, at some point it becomes a LITTLE bit silly. This whole conversation started because people were saying that the game isn't 'hard' as the devs described, but tedious. I posted that that is simply not true, and now it's turned into 'I don't have 30 minutes to sit at my computer' which is fine - if you don't you don't, but you can't honestly expect the game to both be challenging AND not take any time at all to learn. The only real games I can think of that fit that mold are puzzle games.

To re-clarify what I'm saying since I feel it got a bit muddied in the last page:
The messaging has always been that the game is both hardcore, and challenging.
People complaining that hardcore means tedious grinding, are flat out wrong - nobody is making you grind anything but yourself. The things we all expected when we signed up (challenging group content) are totally accessible with minimal gearing required.
If you expected the game to take literally minutes per dungeon, I'm not sure what you were thinking, but clearly this is not the game or genre for you (as even wow does not offer content like this in any compelling fashion - certainly not dungeons or raids especially).

Einbroch seems to want a game that is challenging but takes almost no time to learn - these two things are at odds with each other unless the content is absolutely miniscule.

You, Jleack, don't seem to care if it's hard, but you also said you can play for a couple hours just not intent focus the entire time (need to get up or whatever), that exists here, which is why I questioned that. I get up and go to the bathroom or make a sandwich or whatnot during runs all the time, if my group is OK with it. It's no more challenging here than in any other MMO - it's entirely dependent on your group's willingness to put up with your AFKing (which seems reasonable in an online game, I would no more randomly go AFK in a wow dungeon than I would here). I will agree that there is no 'range' of content yet, at least in terms of time requirement. I would argue adventures are very easy, but they do take a while like LFR. Patch is bringing more solo stuff, which is where you'd be spending time when you don't want to infringe on others, just like any other MMO.

Vindictus did this. It can be done. But Vindictus is not a good game (the F2P system suxxxxx), so maybe it cannot be. Who knows, but no one's tried and succeeded.

The difference between trash and boss then is the reward. You get nothing, absolutely nothing for clearing trash except Renown (which is frankly worthless) and EP (which is incredibly easy to cap). Trash has a ton of health in this game. In fact, a lot of the trash has as much health as some of the bosses themselves. It's a time sink and nothing more. Do you think trash adds anything? Really, honest question.

And you keep saying that it will eventually take 20 minutes to clear. To get there, I have to spend 2-3 hours in each dungeon, gearing up and learning. And even then, this is assuming you're running with the same group and everyone knows what they're doing. It's not worth it to me.

Once again, this is not Carbine's fault at all.
Vindictus content tended to either be not challenging at all though (IE it's a 10 minute run and you won't fail) or a single boss that took many wipes as you said, but the overall learning experience in the game still required you to sit there for reasonably long periods learning things. I haven't played it in ages, but I can remember having some super long attempts on some of those bosses when my friends and I were learning them, plus all of the farming and other stuff required in the prior stages of the dungeons. It took just as much time. I know you don't think it's Carbine's fault, I just am completely baffled trying to consider what you expected I suppose.

As far as trash...yes. I think Trash adds something. I would go as far as to say it almost only adds something if it makes you consider how you're playing and appropriately regard it as a challenge. But I also think that of bosses (if I can just facestomp everything, why am I playing?). What's the difference between a trash pull that wipes us 10 times and a boss that wipes us 10 times? Just a name, and maybe some complexity. Some loot pixels at the end (loot is the LAST thing I care about in these games, it's a means to an end). There are some trash pulls in Skullcano that made my butt pucker so hard, do I get massive joy out of clearing a ton of it? no. It can certainly be excessive. But most of the trash in this game is well designed in how much you can skip, which is also a skill and I like that (people that can appropriately sneak around will pull less stuff), and the types of abilities they use. Telegraphs help trash variety tremendously compared to most MMOs where they rarely do anything interesting. Tank and spank trash that poses no threat? that shit is pointless. Trash where we coordinate interrupts and avoid complicated telegraphs? I absolutely think it's valuable to the core experience of a dungeon.

I...I can't. When did I say this? What are you not understanding? Take Skullcano. Split it into four dungeons. One for each boss. No trash. You queue up for the "Skullcano pack" or whatever. You randomly face one boss. Change NOTHING else about WildStar. Just do that.

Look, it's just as difficult and not a giant time sink. I seriously don't know why you don't understand what I'm saying. Keep all the challenge, remove the trash, ie, the timesink. That's it.

I get what you're saying, the reason I mentioned trash before was specifically BECAUSE you're mistaken if you think trash is the timesink here - it's really not. If it wipes you then it was a worthy opponent, if you sweat then it was worthy of being put there and didn't just 'waste' your time any more than any other fight in the game. If it's not wiping you, it barely takes any time to kill anyway.

The McDungeon design of hallway->boss->hallway->boss is precisely what they're trying NOT to do with the game, because the audience they're targetting doesn't like that. I get that it's possible to just make 3 bosses that you queue for, but at some point you're no longer making dungeons you're just making single boss rooms over and over. I understand that you want that, but you have to understand that the majority of players don't.

Einbroch

Banned
Einbroch seems to want a game that is challenging but takes almost no time to learn - these two things are at odds with each other unless the content is absolutely miniscule.

I...I can't. When did I say this? What are you not understanding? Take Skullcano. Split it into four dungeons. One for each boss. No trash. You queue up for the "Skullcano pack" or whatever. You randomly face one boss. Change NOTHING else about WildStar. Just do that.

Look, it's just as difficult and not a giant time sink. I seriously don't know why you don't understand what I'm saying. Keep all the challenge, remove the trash, ie, the timesink. That's it.

Ferny

I do NOT want this game to go the WoW way of basically making every dungeon be totally pugable from the get go. I want every dungeon to be challenging and difficult. I also think removing trash mobs is just silly.

Arken2121

Been having an overall blast with this game. I've mostly been doing pvp but i'm almost done with my attunement process(Swordmaiden left). I'll get some hate from saying this but oh well. I think this game takes GW2's action combat and takes it a step further by making it skillful with telegraphs. No more are the days of random procs by tab-targetting your opponent. Not to mention the game is incredibly difficult(but in a fair way). If you die, you pretty much know what killed you and what to work on next time.

This game is not without bugs. In fact, there are tons of them but at the very least we're getting consistent updates to fix them. I did a bg the other day and hit a stupid amount of dmg that haven't been able to topple since. Enjoy!

yulnl1I.jpg

Top Bottom