• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WildStar |OT| The biggest MMO since the Big Bang

Ferny

you've made my day with this post thanks so much, do you know if trading works?
If so I might get my buddy to trade me his then I can always trade it back!

Still saving my gold for the hoverboard at 25 :D

Although the game sans a mount is at times frustrating!

I'm almost sure that trading would work as well. I think you just have to have it in your inventory for the credit to get it.

Yep. Zone specific stories start to be a bit more overtly related to the overall plot soon, though replaying the early ones on my alt has made me see how they fit in as well. The actual solo story instances start at 35.

Cool, thanks for answering me. 35 seems a way off to start introducing solo story stuff - but I only complain because I love the world and the characters they've created. The trailers really got me pumped for the possible story etc. I guess I was hoping for something like GW2 (never played SWOTOR). Don't get me wrong, I love exploring the world and I think the combat is fun - it's funny, when I'm away from the game, I can convince myself that I don't want to play it, then if I play it, I fall in love again. Stupid brain.

TheYanger

Cool, thanks for answering me. 35 seems a way off to start introducing solo story stuff - but I only complain because I love the world and the characters they've created. The trailers really got me pumped for the possible story etc. I guess I was hoping for something like GW2 (never played SWOTOR). Don't get me wrong, I love exploring the world and I think the combat is fun - it's funny, when I'm away from the game, I can convince myself that I don't want to play it, then if I play it, I fall in love again. Stupid brain.

It's definitely NOT cutscene STORY based stuff like GW2 or SWTOR (which was similar to GW2 but without the lazy talking head design), but it is more overtly involving your character in the world with those instances. Kind of like a way to wrap all of the world building you may or may not have been paying attention to into a cohesive 'end' result. I think the amount of lore based stuff in the game can be kind of overwhelming if you just read everything, but tales and stuff make up a lot of it and those are just fun fluff, the relevant info is by and large from the datacubes, which are all direct logs of what the Eldan were doing on the planet.

I'm almost never one for caring about the stories in MMOs (I mean, I try to at least stay on top of it and understand what is going on, just because I go hard in the paint in general I suppose), but I *REALLY* like the world building and lore they've put into the game and am actually interested in where things are going to go. Looking forward to the strain.

That's how I felt from a couple of hours with the beta. Does it not improve? I'm really really wanting to get into a new MMO, just built a new PC at the weekend and I'd love to get into a new world to explore.

Dont' think anyone can answer that for you. In the beta thread it was pretty unanimously agreed that the game opens really...poorly. My personal thought is that the game doesn't seem like it does anything fresh at all when you're just standing there hitting 1 and 2 on the early 'easy' mobs. Even the Giantbomb quick look is pretty funny since Brad JUST started getting to the part where you have to pay the most remote attention to the game and kept dying, but had been saying it was easy so far heh. I had to play the beta several times over 6 months or so to finally get into the teens and start having a lot of fun killing mobs. Questing is dry if you force yourself to do every tedious task - but they're clearly labelled as tasks here, so once you realize you can skip those if you want and you'll be levelling just fine it helps a lot. There are a LOT of really creative and fun quests past 20-25ish, and a lot of boring standard shit like every other MMO of course.
http://www.twitch.tv/theyanger/c/4567496 Highlight of a boss I enjoyed with lots of visually obvious mechanics. Forgemaster in Kel'Voreth is probably worth a Youtube as well - there are lots of non-visual mechanics you might miss on both too, but that's alright would give you an idea of what the game is like. If it seems appealing go for it, nothing else really has combat experiences quite like that, but I would say aside from that and solid housing the rest is fairly standardish.

I'd agree with whoever said it gets progressively better in every zone up there, with the possible exception of Wilderrun in 35-40.

WarMacheen

after playing the esper class to 15, I decided to switch to engineer. The added mobility is a huge improvement. They really need to make the basic skills of esper not require you to stand still, would improve the class quite a bit.

Also felt like getting to 15 was a long chore, going much faster with engineer, in a different starting area. Maybe either the mobility or I just like the class more.

after playing the esper class to 15, I decided to switch to engineer. The added mobility is a huge improvement. They really need to make the basic skills of esper not require you to stand still, would improve the class quite a bit.

Also felt like getting to 15 was a long chore, going much faster with engineer, in a different starting area. Maybe either the mobility or I just like the class more.

You switched from the least mobile class to the second least mobile class haha. I'm glad you're enjoying the Engineer!

Holy crap, Trigger Fingers just dropped for me while running my dailies. I can either sell it for 16 platinum, or use it on myself. I don't know which to do...

During all my excitement, I accidentally posted this in the other Wildstar thread. That's embarrassing.

Einbroch

Banned
Holy crap, Trigger Fingers just dropped for me while running my dailies. I can either sell it for 16 platinum, or use it on myself. I don't know which to do...

During all my excitement, I accidentally posted this in the other Wildstar thread. That's embarrassing.

Sell it. Carbine has said they're working on a solution to this obvious oversight on their part, so snap up that 16 platinum.

Ferny

Lucky man! I've been trying to look on the market for that AMP forever. I would say sell it though. 16 plat equals a couple CREDD for you, depending on your server's price so you may want to keep a couple of those for down the road.

Giggzy

Esper is pretty immobile when you compare it to every other class, but it can play fairly mobile when you need too.

To become mobile it's about playing the meta game with Psi points. Obviously you want to stand still to Telekinetic Strike when you can, as that's our best attack, but when that's not an option you can throw out two Concentrated Blades for 2 Psi points, use Haunt to generate one more point and also do damage and put a debuff on the player/npc, followed by two Bolsters to give you a decent HoT and generate your last two Psi points for a huge finisher. All while moving :)

So if anyone wants the game, Green Man Gaming is giving a 25% discount.
25When-you-spend-__-10-or-more--Low-offer-box-Jul3.jpg

Standard version: $45
Deluxe version: $56

Feels good to get the deluxe version cheaper than the standard version...

Fuck me, 4 days late.
Ouch. Sorry! I searched "discount" and got the coupon for GMG.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Two free guest passes.

JM83AKEHGEDRBXER202L
P8N5C6EJ5D3SV7K0662N

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier

If you are about to tackle raid content use it, if you are not sell it.

Kalnos

Banned
That feel when you start an arena team with a friend, both of you have 1200 rating/personal rating, and you fight 1800 gear warrior.

Carbine clearly didn't think the arena gear through.

Won

Damn, still have 3 levels to go. Wanted to pile up some rested exp again and tackle some alts in the meantime, but I guess I will push through now.

Dopples

Neo Member
New max level PVE content, and here I am with a 38 stalker and a small army of alts. Just started a new warrior yesterday.

Know that feeling, already got a 22 Stalker, 15 medic, 8 Gunslinger, and wanting to try a warrior..

Also, I finally got my GAF account, so I can now give away the codes I got if anyone still want to try the game.

Won

Yay, patch day. New issues with nameplate for me. At least they are not broken.

Whirlwind
This is now a channeled ability rather than a Press and Hold.

Thank you. Was the main reason why I didn't use hold down to cast. I expected that to bother me for years, but nope, here it is.

Lucifon

I'd suggest ArcheAge, completely different style of MMO.

Maybe when it's out, currently it's still in Alpha :(

Dont' think anyone can answer that for you. In the beta thread it was pretty unanimously agreed that the game opens really...poorly. My personal thought is that the game doesn't seem like it does anything fresh at all when you're just standing there hitting 1 and 2 on the early 'easy' mobs. Even the Giantbomb quick look is pretty funny since Brad JUST started getting to the part where you have to pay the most remote attention to the game and kept dying, but had been saying it was easy so far heh. I had to play the beta several times over 6 months or so to finally get into the teens and start having a lot of fun killing mobs. Questing is dry if you force yourself to do every tedious task - but they're clearly labelled as tasks here, so once you realize you can skip those if you want and you'll be levelling just fine it helps a lot. There are a LOT of really creative and fun quests past 20-25ish, and a lot of boring standard shit like every other MMO of course.
http://www.twitch.tv/theyanger/c/4567496 Highlight of a boss I enjoyed with lots of visually obvious mechanics. Forgemaster in Kel'Voreth is probably worth a Youtube as well - there are lots of non-visual mechanics you might miss on both too, but that's alright would give you an idea of what the game is like. If it seems appealing go for it, nothing else really has combat experiences quite like that, but I would say aside from that and solid housing the rest is fairly standardish.

I'd agree with whoever said it gets progressively better in every zone up there, with the possible exception of Wilderrun in 35-40.

Appreciate the thoughtful response. I'd love to see how I felt about the game at those levels, but everything I experienced early on just felt like 'another' WoW style game in terms of the questing. Considering I have no buddies to play with, that's where I'd be spending the majority of my time. So if that portion is as dry as I'm lead to believe, I may have to give the game a miss. Still sat reading the thread and about all the updates though.

Jarate

Banned
Still no fix to bots being ADHD riddled kids in Walmart and pulling everything no matter what setting you have it on

Or the fact they dissapear constantly and dont work constantly

:| thats the main bug with engis that makes it really difficult to do quests. Its a shame that they disnt fix it, or maybe its just an unlisted bugfix. Will test it out later

If anyone has a guest pass, id really appreciate it. Im hearing such mixed thoughts on this game, id like to try it out first.

Feel free to PM me if you have one.

aravuus

If anyone has a guest pass, id really appreciate it. Im hearing such mixed thoughts on this game, id like to try it out first.

Feel free to PM me if you have one.

Same here. EU, if it matters.

I really want to get into a new MMORPG since GW2 ended up being a disappointment, and from the quick check I gave this game, it looks to be right up my alley. I could buy it but since I'm a poor student, I'd really want to give it a try first.

Which brings me to the only question I have: is there some kind of level (down)scaling? I don't mean when you play with a friend, but when you enter earlier areas and dungeons? Hated the level downscaling in GW2, felt like leveling was worth shit. I like grinding and then absolutely destroying stuff.

e: bought the game anyway lmao

let's see then

TheYanger

Same here. EU, if it matters.

I really want to get into a new MMORPG since GW2 ended up being a disappointment, and from the quick check I gave this game, it looks to be right up my alley. I could buy it but since I'm a poor student, I'd really want to give it a try first.

Which brings me to the only question I have: is there some kind of level (down)scaling? I don't mean when you play with a friend, but when you enter earlier areas and dungeons? Hated the level downscaling in GW2, felt like leveling was worth shit. I like grinding and then absolutely destroying stuff.

e: bought the game anyway lmao

let's see then

There is optional downscaling. If you queue something it will downscale you, if you run and zone in and it will ask if you want to or not. So you can either feel the 'challenge' or you can destroy it, your call :)

StayAware

Neo Member
Hey guys!

So far this game seems really interesting. Particularly that 40v40 PvP thing, and the fact that you can level up entirely in PvP.

If any one has a US guest pass I could try the game out with I'd appreciate it.

Otherwise, keep on keepin' on. It looks like I'm going to eventually buy this.

aravuus

There is optional downscaling. If you queue something it will downscale you, if you run and zone in and it will ask if you want to or not. So you can either feel the 'challenge' or you can destroy it, your call :)

I had a feeling that was the case, thanks for the clarification!

Mastamind

Sort of tanked STL normal as my stalker, but i felt kind of gimpy. I got absolutely wrecked REK'd on the second boss, he was hitting for like 3k. The engineer that went as well didnt have any problems with getting crushed, he just couldnt dodge telegraphs.

Was it me that was terrible, or do the skills post 20 (steadfast) make that big of a difference. And should i just hold off till I get steadfast if thats the case.

dcassell

Banned

That's actually a huge relief. I've gotten to level 14 this week, and it's been a real grind in the opening areas. While I've been enjoying it, I'm looking forward to everything opening up since I've been in the same zone for five hours, and just don't want to run across the map anymore without a mount.

Top Bottom