• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WildStar |OT| The biggest MMO since the Big Bang

Ferny

Sort of tanked STL normal as my stalker, but i felt kind of gimpy. I got absolutely wrecked REK'd on the second boss, he was hitting for like 3k. The engineer that went as well didnt have any problems with getting crushed, he just couldnt dodge telegraphs.

Was it me that was terrible, or do the skills post 20 (steadfast) make that big of a difference. And should i just hold off till I get steadfast if thats the case.

I wish I could I could "tag" people but Azwethinkweiz runs a stalker Tank and he is pretty good at it. I'll see if he can post any tips regarding what he does.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Can't get region changed to US, but if anyone has a spare EU guest pass itd be very much appreciated

Giggzy

That's actually a huge relief. I've gotten to level 14 this week, and it's been a real grind in the opening areas. While I've been enjoying it, I'm looking forward to everything opening up since I've been in the same zone for five hours, and just don't want to run across the map anymore without a mount.

Not sure if you're Dominion/Exiles and I don't know if progression is the same on both factions, but that's when it opens up on the Exiles side. Galeras is a huge zone so make sure to get your mount lol.

Goyira

Neo Member
Still not sure if this is a game I'd enjoy. So if anyone has a spare EU guest pass they want to share, please do!

Skele7on

Banned
Been playing a bunch today on my warrior.

Managed to get to level 23 cannot wait to get my hover board, as I'm doing it all without a mount till 25!

Sure is becoming a grind all this walking though!!

Runus

Really considering playing this to satisfy my MMO itch, but not sure. Anyone have a NA guest pass so I could give it a go? I would be very grateful. Thanks.

Mastamind

When do I get access to AH? I am in Deradune zone, is there one in it?

Asking because I really really need a better weapon :(

Truthfully you can get buy without ever buying/crafting a weapon (dem group quests). But there may be a ah created by settlers in the area near the tarpit/swamp thing. Even if its not up 14/15 you'll head to the capital city illium which has an ah.

Edit: dont buy/spend money on anything till you hit 15 and get your mount.

Sort of tanked STL normal as my stalker, but i felt kind of gimpy. I got absolutely wrecked REK'd on the second boss, he was hitting for like 3k. The engineer that went as well didnt have any problems with getting crushed, he just couldnt dodge telegraphs.

Was it me that was terrible, or do the skills post 20 (steadfast) make that big of a difference. And should i just hold off till I get steadfast if thats the case.

Steadfast is level 27, isn't it? You can tank the dungeons before that, but yes, steadfast helps. Just make sure you're using preparation when you need to. I know it's a channeled spell, but you can still move while it's channeling AND even if you have to cancel the channel early, you still get some deflect out of it. Also, make sure you're using decimate every time it's up. Also, what are your stats? Make sure you're in the tanking stance and you have a decent amount of deflect. Above 20% should be fine. If you're still dying a lot, you may have just had a bad healer. Hope that helps!

Oh, and one final thing. Some people don't realize but your stealth is a defensive cooldown as it gives you like 10% damage reduction or something when you come out of it. You WILL NOT lose threat if you stealth during boss fights so long as you don't stay stealthed for a long period of time. Just stealth and instantly nano field to come out of it so you get the nano field stealth bonus as well.

Skele7on

Banned
wow so just played some PVP for the first time.

I must say that it's really cool, but you REALLY need decent teamwork.

I won 2 of my games, but I found my warrior was only good for assists.

Any tips from you guys on how to play what to use?

Hit level 24 though, so it's NEARLY!! time for my hover board!!!!!

Super stoked as after I get it I will be off to the next zone!

Ferny

Steadfast is level 27, isn't it? You can tank the dungeons before that, but yes, steadfast helps. Just make sure you're using preparation when you need to. I know it's a channeled spell, but you can still move while it's channeling AND even if you have to cancel the channel early, you still get some deflect out of it. Also, make sure you're using decimate every time it's up. Also, what are your stats? Make sure you're in the tanking stance and you have a decent amount of deflect. Above 20% should be fine. If you're still dying a lot, you may have just had a bad healer. Hope that helps!

Oh, and one final thing. Some people don't realize but your stealth is a defensive cooldown as it gives you like 10% damage reduction or something when you come out of it. You WILL NOT lose threat if you stealth during boss fights so long as you don't stay stealthed for a long period of time. Just stealth and instantly nano field to come out of it so you get the nano field stealth bonus as well.

That's my boy!

aravuus

Seems like a fine game to waste a couple of evenings to from the first few hours

Random question, is there a way to see how much time I've spent playing?

Koriandrr

So...
I really wanted to like this game - I really did, but 6 hours in, I'm still doing endless amounts of boring quests, wandering around, hitting stuff, hoping it's part of my quests and I'm suddenly reminded of those awfully long and boring times spent in WoW levelling characters.

I've been playing FFXIV since it came out, still am and that may be the reason I can't get into WS, because XIV is just so different than most mmos that you kind of forget what it was like to go back to the 'wow-like' mmos.

Does it get any better end game, is it worth going trough the trouble of maxing a character?

So...
I really wanted to like this game - I really did, but 6 hours in, I'm still doing endless amounts of boring quests, wandering around, hitting stuff, hoping it's part of my quests and I'm suddenly reminded of those awfully long and boring times spent in WoW levelling characters.

I've been playing FFXIV since it came out, still am and that may be the reason I can't get into WS, because XIV is just so different than most mmos that you kind of forget what it was like to go back to the 'wow-like' mmos.

Does it get any better end game, is it worth going trough the trouble of maxing a character?

The first 14 levels are not the game's highlight. I'd say get to 15 or 20 and try out housing, adventures, and maybe dungeons to see if the game is for you or not.

Adent

Can't manage for sh!t
So...

Also make sure to look at your quests and notice which ones are Story quests and which ones are Tasks. You shouldn't worry about the task quests and stick to the story quests. You are not missing anything by skipping tasks.

Azzurri

So...

Isn't FFXIV a 'wow type' MMO?

arimanius

Man I don't think I'm ever going to hit 50. I keep trying classes to around 20 and then get bored of them. Can't find one that sticks. :(

Some I like in PvP but not PvE, others vice versa. It's maddening.

B00TE

The /strain emote is my new favorite emote. Was sitting around one of the auction houses and got a whole bunch of people to join me in the chest-busting fun. Too bad I couldn't record it at the time. :[

I'm really loving Malgrave as a zone. The only downside to it right now is all the level 50's farming junk making it hard to complete some of the kill quests.

Screenshot!
boldir.140702.110916wkjsc.png

Koriandrr

Isn't FFXIV a 'wow type' MMO?

Well, it's an MMO, but I wouldn't put it near that bunch. It has some elements from Guild Wars 2 such as FATES which are events you take part of to gain loads of exp.

The biggest difference is the holy trinity though. You have tank, healer, dps and people in WoW-like games roll a dps to press a certain chain of skills and mostly fap with the other hand, while in XIV dps have more or less the most important role, I'd even say more difficult to play than tank or healer in end-game. There's a lot of tactics for every boss and if you don't know what exactly you're doing you're more or less screwed, but that did exist in WoW back in the day and I've heard WS is similar. Tactics are everything in the game, even more important than gear. You can't really be OP as fuck and solo shit, like, ever. Every single person in the party has a very specific role and if they fail to do it the whole party wipes, including (and especially) if you're dps.

Tanking is very different than WoW too. To begin with tanks barely do any dmg compared to other classes and keeping aggro can be quite challenging, especially for people coming from WoW. Threat meter is quite unique in the sense that you have to constantly be aware of how much threat everyone is generating, because losing aggro is VERY easy. I've seen tanking go very wrong, because of what people are used to in other mmos. Healers and dps have to be very aware of the threat meter too. You can't really go all out and overheal.

I would generally say it's a lot more challenging than WoW, maybe close to what it used to be, but then again, once you get used to it and get the hang of the mechanics it can be easy and fun. :)

P.S.: inb4 flame wars and 'WoW first mmo' I'm not saying WoW is a bad game. I spent years of my life on it and I respect it as a game and am looking forward to the new expansion. All I'm saying is that XIV is very different.

Somnia

Well, it's an MMO, but I wouldn't put it near that bunch. It has some elements from Guild Wars 2 such as FATES which are events you take part of to gain loads of exp.

The biggest difference is the holy trinity though. You have tank, healer, dps and people in WoW-like games roll a dps to press a certain chain of skills and mostly fap with the other hand, while in XIV dps have more or less the most important role, I'd even say more difficult to play than tank or healer in end-game. There's a lot of tactics for every boss and if you don't know what exactly you're doing you're more or less screwed, but that did exist in WoW back in the day and I've heard WS is similar. Tactics are everything in the game, even more important than gear. You can't really be OP as fuck and solo shit, like, ever. Every single person in the party has a very specific role and if they fail to do it the whole party wipes, including (and especially) if you're dps.

Tanking is very different than WoW too. To begin with tanks barely do any dmg compared to other classes and keeping aggro can be quite challenging, especially for people coming from WoW. Threat meter is quite unique in the sense that you have to constantly be aware of how much threat everyone is generating, because losing aggro is VERY easy. I've seen tanking go very wrong, because of what people are used to in other mmos. Healers and dps have to be very aware of the threat meter too. You can't really go all out and overheal.

I would generally say it's a lot more challenging than WoW, maybe close to what it used to be, but then again, once you get used to it and get the hang of the mechanics it can be easy and fun. :)

So the long answer is yes its in the same vain as WoW and WS, but has some unique mechanics just like WoW and WS have from each other and XIV.

In the end all 3 of these games are themepark MMO's and share a lot in common.

Koriandrr

So the long answer is yes its in the same vain as WoW and WS, but has some unique mechanics just like WoW and WS have from each other and XIV.

In the end all 3 of these games are themepark MMO's and share a lot in common.

Hmmm yeah it did come across as that didn't it. I kind of suck at explaining, but I really feel like it's quite different. I edited my post, just fyi - I like both games, I'm not saying one is superior to the other, I just think it's different.

There's the 2.5 sec global cooldown factor. That makes the entire gameplay a lil bit more tactical while still real time - if you use a wrong skill you're already ages behind, while in WoW and such you can spam skills and button mash.
It's more accessible to casuals but also caters to hardcore. It kind of forces you to become a part of a tight knit community to do just about anything that isn't casual
whereas in other games you can never talk to anyone and still raid and do end-game content. That wouldn't really be possible in XIV.

Is WS anything like that? How's the community like? :)

Azzurri

Hmmm yeah it did come across as that didn't it. I kind of suck at explaining, but I really feel like it's quite different. I edited my post, just fyi - I like both games, I'm not saying one is superior to the other, I just think it's different.

There's the 2.5 sec global cooldown factor. That makes the entire gameplay a lil bit more tactical while still real time - if you use a wrong skill you're already ages behind, while in WoW and such you can spam skills and button mash.
It's more accessible to casuals but also caters to hardcore. It kind of forces you to become a part of a tight knit community to do just about anything that isn't casual
whereas in other games you can never talk to anyone and still raid and do end-game content. That wouldn't really be possible in XIV.

Hate to make this about FFXIV, but the 2.5 CD to me makes Combat feel such a drag, and that's why it feels so sluggish and 'boring' to me.

Koriandrr

Hate to make this about FFXIV, but the 2.5 CD to me makes Combat feel such a drag, and that's why it feels so sluggish and 'boring' to me.

Well there's something for everyone ;)

I do like action combat a lot as well though. I really wish TERA was a better game overall - I can see myself easily loving that kind of combat. And I wish the WS action combat was a little bit more like TERA actually. Would've LOVED that. I still like the combat a lot, you can never go wrong with action combat, but a little bit more dynamic would've been awesome.

Somnia

Just to be clear I never thought you were trying to say one was better than the other, etc. =)

WS is built for hardcore end game and you HAVE to talk to do anything. These dungeons and raids are no joke, if you don't work together in WS on a dungeon you will wipe and never win. PUGs have to communicate to succeed at all.

I can't comment on the overall community as the game is only 30 days in and it doesn't really form till around the 90 day mark when you get a clear idea of what the player base will be like. Guild wise our guild is very tight knit and a great community.

Koriandrr

Just to be clear I never thought you were trying to say one was better than the other, etc. =)

WS is built for hardcore end game and you HAVE to talk to do anything. These dungeons and raids are no joke, if you don't work together in WS on a dungeon you will wipe and never win. PUGs have to communicate to succeed at all.

I can't comment on the overall community as the game is only 30 days in and it doesn't really form till around the 90 day mark when you get a clear idea of what the player base will be like. Guild wise our guild is very tight knit and a great community.

I'll give it another shot - see how it goes. My friend who's playing said that levelling is relatively quick, so I'll try to suck up those millions of quests and max a char ;)

Do you think it's a good idea to start as a tank, being newb to the game and all? I always play tank characters. Not sure if I'm feeling experimental enough for Stalker, but definitely Warrior or Engineer.

Somnia

I'll give it another shot - see how it goes. My friend who's playing said that levelling is relatively quick, so I'll try to suck up those millions of quests and max a char ;)

Do you think it's a good idea to start as a tank, being newb to the game and all? I always play tank characters. Not sure if I'm feeling experimental enough for Stalker, but definitely Warrior or Engineer.

Being a tank is fine, just run a dps spec and when you get your 2nd spec at 15 make a tank spec. Just make sure to get some tank gear as you level for dungeons at 20 if you plan on going that route.

If you hate all the millions of tedious quests, just focus on the "zone, regional, world" story quests. The tasks what you can do is pick them up, if they are in the same area and you do em so be it, if not just delete em when you move to the next area. The tasks give almost no exp, your focus should be on the 3 I mentioned.

Leveling is pretty fast if you ignore the tasks and stick to the World, Regional and Zone story quests. There are so many "tasks" that doing them all makes the game feel more monotonous than it otherwise would.

I would not level as a "tank", I would focus on using your dps skills as using primarily tank skills will make killing things a lot slower. I have played FF XIV since launch and this game is quite a bit different in terms of how classes work.

In this game, every class has 2 "specs". A warrior can be DPS or a tank, Engineer can be DPS or a tank, Medic can be healer or DPS, etc. Each class has different stats for each role.

e.g DPS warrior wants a lot of brutality to increase assault power, but a tanking warrior wants tech to increase support power.

A role in wild star is about a combination of gear and equipped skills that provide the toolset necessary to perform in a given role.

In short, you're not hurting yourself by playing a warrior or engineer as DPS (faster killing) rather than a tank (less damage dealt, more mitigation and threat generation).

See if you can stick it out to lv 20 and do the first dungeon. I found the relative level of difficulty to be quite high and it felt very rewarding to overcome the dungeon the first few times that I cleared it.

It really drove home for me the level of teamwork required to succeed in this game, which is what I enjoy most about playing it.

Giggzy

P.S.: inb4 flame wars and 'WoW first mmo' I'm not saying WoW is a bad game. I spent years of my life on it and I respect it as a game and am looking forward to the new expansion. All I'm saying is that XIV is very different.

Are you sure you're not talking about Wildstar? LOL! I swear what you're describing is what this game is about. Each role is extremely important and 5 man dungeons are practically like raids in other games. Takes a lot of coordination from everyone.

Edit: I would recommend getting to level 20 before deciding whether or not you want to stick around. The game really opens up by that point as you'll have 7 skill slots and a lot of AMPS to configure. Also, you'll get to do Stormtalon, which is the first dungeon. That dungeon is what really made everything about this game click for me. It was extremely difficult with many wipes, but once we completed it (about 90 minutes later), it was one of the most rewarding feelings I've had from a game in a long time. The equivalent to finally downing a hard boss in monster hunter.

Somnia

Man I am still in Deradune

Levelling is not that fast in this game huh

You can hit 50 in around 20 hours if you do it that way. It doesn't take long to level, unless you are doing all the tasks, etc. Just focus on the zone, regional and world story quests, if you complete a task in that area so be it, but dont focus on them.

Man I don't think I'm ever going to hit 50. I keep trying classes to around 20 and then get bored of them. Can't find one that sticks. :(

Some I like in PvP but not PvE, others vice versa. It's maddening.

That's exactly what happened to me. Bought the game on the third of last month and spent three weeks playing the classes. By the time I realized the one I like the most (Esper) I had decided to cancel my subscription and wait for patches to fix various things. I still had fun with it and will probably go back to it in the future.

arimanius

That's exactly what happened to me. Bought the game on the third of last month and spent three weeks playing the classes. By the time I realized the one I like the most (Esper) I had decided to cancel my subscription and wait for patches to fix various things. I still had fun with it and will probably go back to it in the future.

That's what is slowly happening to me except I haven't found a class yet. If I don't find one soon I'll probably unsub.

edit* There's two classes I haven't really given a chance. Medic and SS. I'll probably delete my Eng and try out SS this weekend. They look really fast pace which could be fun.

Salamando

Man I am still in Deradune

Levelling is not that fast in this game huh

It gets better once you hit 14 and get your first house. Each housing plot comes with a daily quest that grants at least a 5% bonus to either questing, PVP, or group EXP. Each day a random one will be a 10% bonus.

Getting a house also allows you to maximize your rested XP. You get more rested XP in an undecorated house than anywhere else (except a house setup with all five large bonuses). Prior to the house, you get the best XP gains from Illium/Thayd, but it's not as easy to log out there all the time.

If you haven't already, sign up for their 2-step authentication. It grants a constant 2% XP boost.

All this bonus XP makes questing go by faster too, as the percent of completion you get per kill depends on how much XP you gain. Helps keep everyone the same level, no matter how many boosts they have.

Giggzy

It gets better once you hit 14 and get your first house. Each housing plot comes with a daily quest that grants at least a 5% bonus to either questing, PVP, or group EXP. Each day a random one will be a 10% bonus.

Getting a house also allows you to maximize your rested XP. You get more rested XP in an undecorated house than anywhere else (except a house setup with all five large bonuses). Prior to the house, you get the best XP gains from Illium/Thayd, but it's not as easy to log out there all the time.

If you haven't already, sign up for their 2-step authentication. It grants a constant 2% XP boost.

All this bonus XP makes questing go by faster too, as the percent of completion you get per kill depends on how much XP you gain. Helps keep everyone the same level, no matter how many boosts they have.

This. Also like other people have mentioned already, stick to the World/Regional/Zone story quests only. I just started doing this and I'm leveling WAAAAY faster than doing everything. The completionist in me is crying, but I'd rather get to 50 and come back at this point.

Top Bottom