• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WildStar |OT| The biggest MMO since the Big Bang

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Dailies each day gives around 1 plat once you hit Elder Gem cap, savaging any greens I find on the way and its an easy 5-10 plat a week. Once Technologist gets buffed, I could see that getting higher

How do you hit elder gem cap? Sorry for all the questions

Lashley

If its so easy to get credd for gametime, how are the devs making money? Just from the box sales?

B00TE

Yeah, but if you can earn it in game, who would buy it?

People have to buy CREDD and put it up to be sold, it's not available in game if people aren't selling, as far as I know. So you're buying it off other players. Can put up buy and sell orders for 'em on the market.

EDIT: in the simplest of explanations, it's also way to buy/sell 'gold' without getting banned.

badb0y

If its so easy to get credd for gametime, how are the devs making money? Just from the box sales?
Not everyone has enough time to farm in game currency to pay the monthly subscription. Usually, there's a chunk of the userbase that have a full-time job, family, and other obligations so they just pay the subscription and enjoy the game when they have the time to play.

Back in my WoW days when I was 16~ Years old, I had some guides who were much older than me and they used to buy in game gold from the gold farmers. Back then I was baffled that someone would pay for something you can farm in the game for free but now I understand that they would rather use 1 hours worth of pay to buy like 10,000 gold over farming hours on end to earn 10,000 gold.

aka_bueno

As it's been mentioned before, but in different ways.

CREDD has to be purchased for $20 before it's then sold in-game to other players for in-game money. So the devs/pub get the money no matter what, and in fact they get more money from CREDD since it's $20 and a month of game time is $14.99.

It's actually a great idea, win/win for everyone.

Salamando

Right now, I'll take whatever I can get on my medic. Levelling is such a pain...takes too long to kill anything. At least I provide a nice buff to everyone else in the party.

Won

I want to level a medic next, but can't decide on a race.

Why can't Chuas be availabe on both sides? :(

Also there is a Facesnuggler hat available in the account inventory for everyone who owns the game, in case anyone missed it.

Staab

We'll have to see how EQNext handles it. It looks like they want to do away with a lot of the modern MMO BS. I would like levels to be ditched. Create a new stat that is calculated by your history, gear, spell competency, etc... And use that as a basis on where you should hunt. It makes every dungeon matter because it's how you progress your character. It may sound the same as the ol' experience bar but it's not. You can't grind away on quests, FATES, or camp the same mob until you level up. It forces you to experience the world, not just one spot that gets you that next level quicker.

I think that is what is needed to get people out of this grind to the top mindset. Make the world fun prior to the cap.

Interesting aspect you bring up and I thought about how it could work effectively all the while still pleasing the masses :
what if they used achievement scores for that ?
They would have to put in some more work on distinguishing "fun achievements" (jump from a platform while naked) from "real achievements" (fully explore dungeon 03).
But I could see "character power" being tied to your achievement score.

It's certainly an intriguing prospect..

Skele7on

Banned
so who here is Dominion and who is Exile?

I for one am Dominion on my main.

Although getting the feeling that they're the dark side from some of the quests :\ sorry.

glaurung

I got a key and played for a while this past weekend. This game is not for me.

The first 2-3 post-tutorial areas are relatively solid. But as soon as you open up crafting, this game becomes a mad grind chore. And to be honest, I don't care for it at all.

Plus - considering the amount of tutorials this game throws at you, they sure are rubbish at times. I guess the problem is that they mix functional tutorials with lore and location shit.

Anyhow, this was a waste of time for me. Back to FFXIV until WoD hits.

so who here is Dominion and who is Exile?

I for one am Dominion on my main.

Although getting the feeling that they're the dark side from some of the quests :\ sorry.

I don't think they''re necessarily dark. They're very much morally grey. They treat their citizens well and provide stability and safety but they do not shy away from morally corrupt tactics in order to win. They're like the Roman Empire in space.

I got a key and played for a while this past weekend. This game is not for me.

The first 2-3 post-tutorial areas are relatively solid. But as soon as you open up crafting, this game becomes a mad grind chore. And to be honest, I don't care for it at all.

Plus - considering the amount of tutorials this game throws at you, they sure are rubbish at times. I guess the problem is that they mix functional tutorials with lore and location shit.

Anyhow, this was a waste of time for me. Back to FFXIV until WoD hits.

I found FFXIV to be much, much more of a grind. To each their own.

glaurung

I found FFXIV to be much, much more of a grind. To each their own.
No argument there.

I also did not care for the overly twitchy combat style. I guess it is what they are going for, but at times it felt more of a chore than it should be.

I do have to commend some of the designs in this game. The cyborg goblins on the "good guy" side are amazing. I mean the Mordesh. But then again there is a notable discrepancy between the character models. Some are superbly executed, others less so. I spent most of time playing a Mechari Engineer/Scientist and I have to admit - the moving animations for Mechari are bollocks.

friday

No argument there.

I also did not care for the overly twitchy combat style. I guess it is what they are going for, but at times it felt more of a chore than it should be.

I do have to commend some of the designs in this game. The cyborg goblins on the "good guy" side are amazing. I mean the Mordesh. But then again there is a notable discrepancy between the character models. Some are superbly executed, others less so. I spent most of time playing a Mechari Engineer/Scientist and I have to admit - the moving animations for Mechari are bollocks.

In the combat options you can turn on your spam abilities to constantly work by just holding the button down. That made the combat flow much smoother for me.

And yes to your second point, Mechari are not good right now. The various animations are kinda bad, but the boots not covering the feet just kills me. My main is close to 50 but I think I am starting over just because Mechari bother me. I love the idea of playing a sentient robot, but the feet and running animation are horrid.

Lashley

Support are super helpful! Code didn't work so they gave me a new one to try! Now I can try this game

Hixx

Still trying to find the class that will click with me (probably going to end up transferring my Engi to an active server in the end) and Spellslinger is pretty cool. Hit like a wet fish without Spell Surge up but when you do have it active, combined with snares and movement abilities, taking down Primes or group quest mobs ain't no thang. Can't see this burst lasting into higher levels, surely?

Still trying to find the class that will click with me (probably going to end up transferring my Engi to an active server in the end) and Spellslinger is pretty cool. Hit like a wet fish without Spell Surge up but when you do have it active, combined with snares and movement abilities, taking down Primes or group quest mobs ain't no thang. Can't see this burst lasting into higher levels, surely?

Spellsingers always bring the deeps. Make sure to try Medic as well if you haven't. I've found a lot of people are surprised by how much they enjoy Medic once they try the class.

aka_bueno

Spellslinger is a lot of fun. I'm leveling an alt SS right now and I'm only 26, but it's a lot of fun to play.

I already find my SS more engaging than my level 50 Warrior to be honest. Warriors are pretty OP right now, but just too repetitive and kinda boring to play with such a simple attack rotation.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Started an Aurin Esper a few days ago and was enjoying it. I was pretty sure this would be my main as I often go with healing classes in MMOs.

Then, last night I created a Mordesh Stalker just out of curiosity. I don't normally play rogue equivalents, but HOLY CRAP!! Stalker is so fun! I love how quickly you can get back into stealth and decimate mob after mob, with them exploding into piles of meat or robo bits. On my Esper I'd get a triple kill once every 15 minutes. On my stalker it's a steady chain of kill streaks being blurted out from the announcer.

I still want to try out dungeon healing, but I can't see myself playing anything but my Stalker right now.

oktarb

How many of you have trying incorporating a controller. I find it great for fighting but quickly go back to the KB/M when crafting or farting around.

Esper is kind of annoying because so many abilities want you to stand still and the controller makes me want to move. Gunslinger particularly shines with a controller, I'm a moving, slinger blur of death.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
How many of you have trying incorporating a controller. I find it great for fighting but quickly go back to the KB/M when crafting or farting around.

Esper is kind of annoying because so many abilities want you to stand still and the controller makes me want to move. Gunslinger particularly shines with a controller, I'm a moving, slinger blur of death.
I would probably go insane trying to play dps medic on a controller lol.

Won

Spellslinger is a lot of fun. I'm leveling an alt SS right now and I'm only 26, but it's a lot of fun to play.

I already find my SS more engaging than my level 50 Warrior to be honest. Warriors are pretty OP right now, but just too repetitive and kinda boring to play with such a simple attack rotation.

I'm just throwing myself in here and say that I somewhat regret sticking with the Warrior. I enjoy the control and interrupt options of the class and spinning around is fun, but most of the tank stuff just feels underwhelming, so I just feel very limited on what I get out of the class. :/

Top Bottom