• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will Hermen Hulst get the axe for Concord?

will he?

• yes, and he should

Votes: 150 29.5%
  • yes, but he shouldn't

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • no, but he should

Votes: 273 53.6%
  • no, and he shouldn't

Votes: 85 16.7%

• Total voters

Bartski

Gold Member
Moriarty on Sacred Symbols just dropped the megaton of the day - Concord was referred to as a game with Star Wars-like potential inside Sony and the "The Future of PlayStation", despite allegedly looking like shit in alpha after drowning 200mil, just to make Sony to drop another 200 to reach a bare MVP...
At 400 000 000 USD, excluding studio purchase costs! And GaaS running cost budget, at the end making 0 USD profit.
It's the biggest game Sony has ever released and most likely the biggest financial flop in the history of the videogame industry.

Episode 1 Mind Blown GIF by The Office

Moriarty says the game was "Hermen Hulst's baby" championed by himself this hard internally.

What happens now? Is this the end of Hermen Hulst as the CEO at Playstation?

Nope, people like Hulst never take responsibility for their actions. He will shift the blame onto somewhere (or someone) else. Sony is a big company for sure but they're not so big that they can just cap 400M. When Fairgame inevitably flops (or gets cancelled) and Sony has to eat another 400M then he probably gets the axe.

Last edited:

Shubh_C63

That's leadership's job. He takes the big risk and convinces everyone.

You axe only when you have direct 343, Concord or Xbox One launch level fuckup only.

Aenima

I'm just shocked they never even went the F2P route before the quick axe. That strikes me as Japan coming down hard and readying a restructure of power and decision making.
Game had less players during the open beta that was free for all, than during the closed beta that was only for ppl that pre-ordered. I think Sony could see the game was dead. The pricing was never the problem, Helldivers was a success and launched at the same price.

EpHQxVTXUAMG7pY

How would this guy get anything wrong?!?

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
How do you have any credibility left after this? How would you feel as an employee if your CEO went all in on their most expensive project ever and it resulted in a total loss and embarrassment? How do you convince your shareholders and investors that this is the guy you should trust with your investment?

I really think he’s done if that video is true. That’s a career-ending fuck up.

Nydius

It will probably get some time to clean it up and come back ftp.

I know this is almost beating a dead horse at this point but why would they spend countless millions more to retool the game F2P? Even if they do nothing else to address the issues with maps and character design, they would have to fundamentally rework the entire game to add a MTX and battle pass system.

Completely retooled UI, a whole bunch of paid cosmetics that people would want to buy, and a massive marketing push to try and wash the stink of the previous flop off the IP… just so they could launch into the same oversaturated market where no one would choose them over Overwatch, Apex, Valorant, or Marvel Rivals, just like the first time?

Spending any money to do anything with this game further would be their second biggest blunder behind launching it in the first place.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
I could see it because she would make for a good talking head, but sadly her studio is about to ship the next Concord
Yeah but at that level you're managing studios, recruiting top people and trying to greenlight franchises. She has experience in all that even with some missteps. And she does great PR.

tmlDan

I think Jim and Connie took the blow for Concord, Sony knew this would happen a year prior. They just invested too much to stop.

Kacho

Gold Member
Yeah but at that level you're managing studios, recruiting top people and trying to greenlight franchises. She has experience in all that even with some missteps. And she does great PR.
I’m not arguing against you. Just stating that the last ‘good’ thing she was involved with creatively was Splinter Cell Blacklist, a decade ago.

Last edited:
Top Bottom