• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will the new Zelda's soundtrack set a new standard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speevy

Banned
I think that the Wind Waker's soundtrack paled in comparison to the OoT one.

I mean, there were a few cool tunes, but in general the whole thing was just rather uninspiring. Well-written, but uninspiring.

Do you think this new game will give us another classic Zelda soundtrack?

human5892

Queen of Denmark
I move for a motion to perma-ban anyone who starts a topic beginning with "Will the new Zelda..." until more of the game besides the fucking E3 trailer is actually shown.

Speevy

Banned
I'm not asking too much, I don't think. Based on where the series is going, I think there is a lot of potential for some truly brilliant music.

The soundtracks of these games that I've downloaded are proof that this series has some of the best music in gaming history.

Speevy

Banned
human5892 said:
I move for a motion to perma-ban anyone who starts a topic beginning with "Will the new Zelda..." until more of the game besides the fucking E3 trailer is actually shown.

What more do you need? The game exists. Everyone wants it, or at least wants to know how it turns out. The qualifications for rampant speculation have been met.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Speevy said:
What more do you need? The game exists. Everyone wants it, or at least wants to know how it turns out. The qualifications for rampant speculation have been met.
Rampant speculation is one thing, but rampant speculation utterly without basis is another. How can you even begin to have a reasonable conversation about the game's music when all that's been shown is a trailer that used the same music (that isn't even an original Nintendo composition) from the OoT trailer?

Speevy

Banned
ge-man said:
I have no idea about the music, but I can predict where this thread will be headed.

One thing I've discovered about this website is that no thread EVER heads in the direction that the first person to post this prediction says.

It's usually just a few idiots and everyone else posting random pictures/inside jokes.

No. The thing you don't get is the same topic could be made for any game no one knows anything about.

WILL BUBSY 5 SET A NEW STANDARD FOR MUSIC?????

Speevy

Banned
human5892 said:
Rampant speculation is one thing, but rampant speculation utterly without basis is another. How can you even begin to have a reasonable conversation about the game's music when all that's been shown is a trailer that used the same music (that isn't even an original Nintendo composition) from the OoT trailer?

There are several Zelda games, so you have a general approximation about where the music has been, and perhaps where it's going.

Seriously, it's worth a discussion.

If nothing else, just post the sort of music that you think would make the soundtrack memorable.

Speevy

Banned
enjoy bell woods said:
No. The thing you don't get is the same topic could be made for any game no one knows anything about.

No, because Zelda music = good, Bubsy music = Who freakin' cares?

Goodness people, just post to the damn thread, let it drop to the next page, or shut up.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Speevy said:
I think that the Wind Waker's soundtrack paled in comparison to the OoT one.

I mean, there were a few cool tunes, but in general the whole thing was just rather uninspiring. Well-written, but uninspiring.

Do you think this new game will give us another classic Zelda soundtrack?

If you are talking about the standard for Zelda soundtracks, possible I suppose...

However, Zelda soundtracks don't even begin to approach the upper tier of quality game soundtracks.

Speevy

Banned
dark10x said:
If you are talking about the standard for Zelda soundtracks, possible I suppose...

However, Zelda soundtracks don't even begin to approach the upper tier of quality game soundtracks.

Oh, now that's a legitimate discussion.

What is this "upper tier" you refer to?

Speevy

Banned
JackFrost2012 said:
You've got the "idiots" part covered - where's DFS with the swass when you need him?

Now that was uncalled for, especially in a thread about game soundtracks.

Good grief, get a grip man.

AniHawk said:
I think you mean "Riders of Doom."

Oh, was it??? I knew I was taking a risk with that one, since I only heard the Crom thing from a "movie buff" friend who I thought I could trust. That trust has been broken, and I will never repeat anything he tells me as fact again. Ever. :(

Still, he was pretty close I guess.

Okay, I'll contribute to your thread!

Based on a 30-second E3 video using licensed music from an unrelated fantasy film, 0-seconds of actual in-game music, and reading the entrails of this freshly-slaughtered chicken, I feel confident in predicting: no, the new Zelda game's soundtrack will absolutely not "set a new standard," whatever the hell that means.

In fact, I predict that the new Zelda soundtrack will be as worthless as ... as ... as worthless as debating the quality of a videogame soundtrack before anyone has heard a single note over a year before its release. And trust you me, that's pretty fucking worthless.

Lock the thread or temporarily ban me, but please, someone, stop the hurting.

I think Zelda should pioneer the idea of the concept soundtrack. Rather than lets make some generic fantasy music which wouldn't pass for piss in the movie world the entire soundtrack should be an oboe player, in an Elvis costume recorded in a boat off the coast of Peru by a sound crew with an average age of 24 years, 3 months and 17 days exactly.

Or just an old guy going hummana-hummana-hummana-hummana-hummana all the way through.

ge-man

I think I should add that there are a couple versions of the E3 trailer. Most people talk about the one with the Conan music, but there's one with something original playing. I'm assuming that it's a part of the actually soundtrack.

BenT

enjoy bell woods said:
MAYBE BUT PUNKY SKUNK 2 WILL BE SOME SERIOUS COMPETITION WHAT KIND OF MUSIC WILL IT HAVE PUNKY I MEAN MY GUESS IS SYMPHONIC ROCK OR MAYBE THOSE CHINA MONKS MY MOM LIKES

BenT said:
MAYBE BUT PUNKY SKUNK 2 WILL BE SOME SERIOUS COMPETITION WHAT KIND OF MUSIC WILL IT HAVE PUNKY I MEAN MY GUESS IS SYMPHONIC ROCK OR MAYBE THOSE CHINA MONKS MY MOM LIKES

Punky Skunk and the Funky Monks ... I think we have a working title!

jett

D-Member
Judging by the trailer at Nintendo's website, I believe the new Zelda will set a new standard in asstastic MIDI-sounding soundtracks.

beerbelly

Banned
I have absolutely no expectations for the soundtrack yet. I want them to surprise me like they did with Ocarina of time (Lost Forest was annoying but grew on me, Zora's Domain was simple but soothing and Forest Temple had a psychotic yet addictive track.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
jett said:
Judging by the trailer at Nintendo's website, I believe the new Zelda will set a new standard in asstastic MIDI-sounding soundtracks.

Haha, no shit. They need to use real sounding instruments for the next Zelda game. Windwaker's soundtrack was pretty SHEETY, save for a few tracks

AniHawk

bobbyconover said:
Oh, was it??? I knew I was taking a risk with that one, since I only heard the Crom thing from a "movie buff" friend who I thought I could trust. That trust has been broken, and I will never repeat anything he tells me as fact again. Ever. :(

Still, he was pretty close I guess.

For some reason a lot of people call "Riders of Doom," "Anvil of Crom."

Speevy

Banned
JackFrost2012 said:
Okay, I'll contribute to your thread!

Based on a 30-second E3 video using licensed music from an unrelated fantasy film, 0-seconds of actual in-game music, and reading the entrails of this freshly-slaughtered chicken, I feel confident in predicting: no, the new Zelda game's soundtrack will absolutely not "set a new standard," whatever the hell that means.

In fact, I predict that the new Zelda soundtrack will be as worthless as ... as ... as worthless as debating the quality of a videogame soundtrack before anyone has heard a single note over a year before its release. And trust you me, that's pretty fucking worthless.

Lock the thread or temporarily ban me, but please, someone, stop the hurting.

Wow, you've got some problems, or some misconceptions about the person you're posting to.

Let's see if you can follow this.

Zelda, to me, has always had some incredible music. Ocarina of Time especially.

Therefore, I think one of the new Zelda's bright spots could be its music, based solely on the fact that I think the Zelda series has great music. Was that so hard? Now go back to beating your head against the wall, champ.

Eric-GCA

Banned
Don't expect any "epic" soundtracks as long as Koji Kondo still is at the helm of musical composition with EAD. His style has never deviated from the "simplistic tunes" that have been his staple in the industry since his beginings with the NES. It seems he has a rule for only using MIDI as well, and not going for more orchestrated styles (though he doesn't seem to have a problem with making orchestrated versions of his game music).

Speevy said:
Therefore, I think one of the new Zelda's bright spots could be its music, based solely on the fact that I think the Zelda series has great music. Was that so hard? Now go back to beating your head against the wall, champ.

Okay, I see how this works!

I think that the Zelda series has mediocre music; therefore, I think the new Zelda game will also have mediocre music. Also, it would make fanboys cry, and that's always funny.

Speevy

Banned
JackFrost2012 said:

I think that the Zelda series has mediocre music; therefore, I think the new Zelda game will also have mediocre music. Also, it would make fanboys cry, and that's always funny.

You really are an angry person.

What good are you to anyone's thread?

jett said:

See, I see this not as a negative but as illuminating the next direction for the Zelda. Forget Hyrule, Link takes his adventure to 1980s Manhattan. It's Legend of Zelda: Quest for the Princess' 78 Totally Rad Bangles. It'll be a trilogy rounded out by LoZ: The Embossed Business Card with The Gold Letterring and LoZ: Search for the Shoulder Pads. Then people will appreciate the atmosphere that only tinny drums and synths provide.

AniHawk

JackFrost2012 said:

:lol

Damn, calm down.

Matlock

Banned
Speevy said:
No kidding. This thread would have about 3 replies and each of them would be civil at least.

Until someone comes in and blurts out "GAYMECUBE SMALLER THAN DUKE" and everyone busts up into raucous :lol spamming.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
JackFrost2012 said:

I AGREE WITH THIS POST

Speevy

Banned
Matlock said:
Until someone comes in and blurts out "GAYMECUBE SMALLER THAN DUKE" and everyone busts up into raucous :lol spamming.

Meh, not really. At least not in the OC forum. It's mostly just PC talk with a little handheld and PS2 thrown in, not so much Gamecube anymore.

Razoric said:
WILL ZELDA GC feature REALISTIC BANANAS?!?!

I'm more worried about how well the grapefruits are modelled. You know the bananas always get a lot of attention, but it's no good when you come across a grapefruit, or a lime or even a pomengranate that's all blocky and lo-res.

Die Squirrel Die said:
Then people will appreciate the atmosphere that only tinny drums and synths provide.

devolink.jpg

Devo are being saved for IGA next Castlevania. They're even doing the soundtrack.

"When a vampiric dark lord of the night comes along, you must whip it"

impirius

I wish they'd get the MIDI instruments sounding better, but I'd like to see them stick with it and do more dynamic stuff with the music.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom