• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wimbledon 2013 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

szaromir

Banned
Have you EVER seen guys like DelPo, Nadal, Federer and others react like he used to do?
I don't think you remember how bad it was.
TBH his anger outbreaks don't bother me nearly as much as ear piercing 'c'mon' some players scream after nearly every point.

I used to play semi-pro footy and was a couple of months away from sealing my first full pro contract until a career ending injury decided otherwise.
Now I play an individual sport and have 2 coaches. One for all the technical stuff and the other is a mental coach (not full time).

You were saying?

This only makes your lament of Murray's misguided venting even more baffling.

MiKeD

Banned
TBH his anger outbreaks don't bother me nearly as much as ear piercing 'c'mon' some players scream after nearly every point.

Prime example being Mr. Hewitt?

I agree it can get annoying when players to do it too often and if the point isn't important.

Have you EVER seen guys like DelPo, Nadal, Federer and others react like he used to do?
I don't think you remember how bad it was.

Sure, Federer did his best to take his opponent out by blasting a tennis ball directly at him at 90mph, such was his frustration at not being able to handle the guy on the other side of the net today. Lest we forget the tricks Nadal got up to last year with trying to intimidate Rosol, because things weren't going his own way.

Make no mistake, when things don't go well for the guys at the very top of their game, they can become very, very irritable in their own usually more subtle ways. The difference is Nadal and Federer have this myth behind them that they're the great humble sports champions; they're not, they fucking hate to lose, and often show it on plenty of occasions.

Speevy

Banned
Tomorrow Djokovic will lose to B. Reynolds.

Burt+Reynolds

szaromir

Banned
Prime example being Mr. Hewitt?

I agree it can get annoying when players to do it too often and if the point isn't important.
Hewitt started it, but it has spread in women's game like cancer and the likes of Sharapova, Cibulkova or Wozniacki are unbearable to me.

TrueBlue

"The number three seed recorded a 6-3, 6-4, 7-5 win in 2hr 12min, but he trailed by a break of serve in the second set and appeared agitated at various stages, hitting his racquet onto the court and yelling at his courtside box."

AUSTRALIAN OPEN 2013. So fuck off. He still does it.

Steady on. There's no need for this.

MiKeD

Banned
Sure, Federer did his best to take his opponent out by blasting a tennis ball directly at him at 90mph, such was his frustration at not being able to handle the guy on the other side of the net today. Lest we forget the tricks Nadal got up to last year with trying to intimidate Rosol, because things weren't going his own way.

Make no mistake, when things don't go well for the guys at the very top of their game, they can become very, very irritable in their own usually more subtle ways. The difference is Nadal and Federer have this myth behind them that they're the great humble sports champions; they're not, they fucking hate to lose, and often show it on plenty of occasions.

I know, but my dad and coaches always told me to never direct your frustration and anger towards the people supporting you or your teammates.

Toni Nadal said that if Rafa would ever smash a racket, it's over and he would never coach him again.
Young Federer used to lose his temper all the time, weird that when he finally controlled his temper, he has become the greatest of all time.

Also, I hated that Federer twice hit the ball right at Stakh's body. The first time was a must win point and really didn't want to take a chance there, so I can understand.
But the second time was just bogus and he didn't even apologize. Lost a bit of respect there.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
What's up with all the people saying "Well, no point in watching now."? Yeah, no point in watching an apparent revival of serve and volley, the volatility of the third quarter, the high chance of an all new Wimbledon champion, the successes of Janowicz, Paire, and Dimitrov. Guess that proves all those Fedal fans really were gloryhunters and not tennis fans. Credit to the people sticking with it.

MiKeD

Banned
Well, I'll concede to your authority. I'm clearly speaking to someone experienced at angry outbursts.

Well if you try to keep shoving it in my face that I'm wrong in disliking a player on court because of his antics and that he embarrasses the people around him, some of which who have been with him his entire career, it gets very annoying.

Maybe the f-word was indeed a bit much, but who am I to tell you who you can't stand if you got your reasons for it?

Steady on. There's no need for this.

My bad.

Well if you try to keep shoving it in my face that I'm wrong in disliking a player on court because of his antics and that he embarrasses the people around him, some of which who have been with him his entire career, it gets very annoying.

Maybe the f-word was indeed a bit much, but who am I to tell you who you can't stand if you got your reasons for it?

You're entitled to your reasons. Never tried to deny that.

I, on the other hand, am entitled to point out that your reasons for hating Murray can be applied to any number of sportsmen, and is nowhere near as prominent as once it was. This freedom of speech bit works both ways.

You appear to have forgotten that we only started interacting because you questioned my opinion, not the other way round.

zero_suit

What's up with all the people saying "Well, no point in watching now."? Yeah, no point in watching an apparent revival of serve and volley, the volatility of the third quarter, the high chance of an all new Wimbledon champion, the successes of Janowicz, Paire, and Dimitrov. Guess that proves all those Fedal fans really were gloryhunters and not tennis fans. Credit to the people sticking with it.
Yeah, this is the most interesting GS tournament in recent memory.

MiKeD

Banned
You're entitled to your reasons. Never tried to deny that.

I, on the other hand, am entitled to point out that your reasons for hating Murray can be applied to any number of sportsmen, and is nowhere near as prominent as once it was. This freedom of speech bit works both ways.

You appear to have forgotten that we only started interacting because you questioned my opinion, not the other way round.

True. But the 2013 AO outburst is still recent enough to say that he hasn't enough changed in a way for me to hope he won't win WImbledon (not sure this made sense).

Just to be clear: Dude's probably a cool guy off the court, I know he plays videogames and all that, so we'd get along lol. It's just, with the way he reacts on the court, I feel he's not entitled to get the biggest title in his career.

TrueBlue

True. But the 2013 AO outburst is still recent enough to say that he hasn't enough changed in a way for me to hope he won't win WImbledon (not sure this made sense).

Just to be clear: Dude's probably a cool guy off the court, I know he plays videogames and all that, so we'd get along lol. It's just, with the way he reacts on the court, I feel he's not entitled to get the biggest title in his career.

In the end, I feel this could be aimed at a lot of players, which would be quite unfair.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Entitled? What entitles you to a slam is being the last man standing. Now, whether that entitles you to recognition as a good player is another matter, given sometimes people get hilariously easy draws. But entitlement to the slam title itself? Doesn't matter if you play poorly or get angry or have a face like a rodent - if you're there at the end and nobody else is, you got your entitlement.

Xun

Pretty much.

I would watch tennis even if my favourite players weren't playing.

The concept of entitlement to a title applying to anything other than athletic performance is, to me, absolutely baffling.

I don't care if Murray cheats on his girlfriend and sells heroin to orphaned children in his spare time. If he gets to the final and wins, he's entitled to it.

szaromir

Banned
Pretty much. I like most players as well, though there are many I cheer against so for me there's always something interesting.

The concept of entitlement to a title applying to anything other than athletic performance is, to me, absolutely baffling.

I don't care if Murray cheats on his girlfriend and sells heroin to orphaned children in his spare time. If he gets to the final and wins, he's entitled to it.

Unrelated to Tennis, I apologize, but according to you, you disagree with the Patriots cutting Hernandez? http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...aron-hernandez-exnew-england-patriot-arrested

Anyhoo, since Tennis is a solo sport, of course their off the court actions will play a big role in how people perceive them on the court.

MiKeD

Banned
In the end, I feel this could be aimed at a lot of players, which would be quite unfair.

Isn't that basically what every person here does when they say they want Nadal or Djoko or Fed to win and vice versa?

Entitled? What entitles you to a slam is being the last man standing. Now, whether that entitles you to recognition as a good player is another matter, given sometimes people get hilariously easy draws. But entitlement to the slam title itself? Doesn't matter if you play poorly or get angry or have a face like a rodent - if you're there at the end and nobody else is, you got your entitlement.

How else do I put it. Purely performance wise, yeah, anyone is entitled (unless someone uses PEDs of course lol). Murray plays his balls off and has some incredible shots in his arsenal. But from a example setting point of view? Not there yet.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
How else do I put it. Purely performance wise, yeah, anyone is entitled (unless someone uses PEDs of course lol). Murray plays his balls off and has some incredible shots in his arsenal. But from a example setting point of view? Not there yet.

Yes. Because Roger "aim for the head" Federer and Rafael "shoulder-bump to the ground" Nadal are such great example setters. Let it go, man.

Pffft, get off your high horse. Like this statement is anything but smug "Murray fan superiority".

szaromir

Banned
That's why my favourite player on the tour by far is DelPo.
Yes, excellent sportsmanship from him.

At this point I would like to see Djokovic and Ferrer lose as I find both to be dull (although formidable) players and someone (Lisicki?) knocking Serena out would also make women's competition suddenly very exciting.

My favorite player has been Djokovic for the last 4 years. ( Well, Roddick was for a while too ). Djokovic has personality, and some take it as arrogance, but at least he's not cursing at his team when he's on the court like Murray.

MiKeD

Banned
Yes, excellent sportsmanship from him.

At this point I would like to see Djokovic and Ferrer lose as I find both to be dull (although formidable) players and someone (Lisicki?) knocking Serena out would also make women's competition suddenly very exciting.

Seriously, has that guy ever done anything wrong in his life?

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Pffft, get off your high horse. Like this statement is anything but smug "Murray fan superiority".

lolyes. Because I am a massive Murray fan, and just passed over Roland Garros in despair.

lolyes. Because I am a massive Murray fan, and just passed over Roland Garros in despair.

Yeah, just like I'm going to completely stop watching now =O But please, take a non-serious statement and make it sound like Fedal fans must be glory hunters who don't truly appreciate tennis like you superior evolved folks. Teach me your ways!

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, just like I'm going to completely stop watching now =O But please, take a non-serious statement and make it sound like Fedal fans must be glory hunters who don't truly appreciate tennis like you superior evolved folks. Teach me your ways!

All Fedal fans? Nah. I specifically set aside a piece of my post dedicated to those sticking with it - see the last sentence. A significant number of Fedal fans? Well, yeah. Doesn't look like the evidence is against me on that one, either!

LOLOL lets just make more generalizations, shall we?

My passion for Tennis grew during Fed's peak era. Of course I have more of an emotional connection to him than other players. Just because he is out, does not mean I will stop watching.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom