• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wimbledon 2013 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dimitrov getting out of that game by the skin of his teeth :lol

Nice to get a quality match like this when you have no great expectations for it to begin with.

Jay Sosa

An interesting thing pointed out on another forum:

One of the semi-final places will go to one of: Kubot (126 in the world), Paire (25), Mannarino (111), Brown (189), Almagro (16), Janowicz (22), Melzer (36) or Stakhovsky (116).

The highest-ranked player who can take that spot is only sixteenth in the world, and there's a reasonable chance of it being someone lower-ranked than that. In a Wimbledon semi-final.

I'm going to regard the fight for that semi spot as its own little tournament in itself, 'cause it's going to be interesting!

Edit: None of them have got to the quarter finals before. Many haven't got past one or two rounds.

Melzer won the junior, the doubles and the mixed title. Just saying.

ghstwrld

r2iDYXk.jpg

lol

John Dunbar

correct about everything
someone has slipped some gluten in djokovic's energy drink again. if only he had had to play a halfway decent player today.

szaromir

Banned
Tomic spills the beans of truth: "I think a lot of people were happy when Nadal sort of lost. I think Roger was very happy. I think he got ahead of himself..."

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Surprisingly dull day. Reynolds put up a fair bit of fight, full marks for effort, but just totally outclassed. Djokovic still suffering incredibly-slow-start syndrome. Raonic once again being Raonic. Similarly, Dimitrov once again being Dimitrov. Not surprised the former is out and the latter is rather close to out. Gasquet being Gasquet by playing beautifully up until crunch time and then deciding that he's allergic to forehands.

Brands-Berdych probably the best match of the day. Brands is too good to be ranked as lowly as he is. Hope to see him gain a seed one day.

szaromir

Banned
What did Federer say?
They were projected to meet in the third round, Tomic was asked what he thinks about drawing Fed. Tomic said "he needs to get there first". Roger replied: "He's also got his work cut out, you know, in the first few rounds,he will be making a mistake about thinking about me in the third round because he also has to get there." They ended up meeting and Roger won the match.

caesar

Banned
A fourth event dubbed "Battle of the sexes" took place during the 1998 Australian Open[18] between the 203rd ranked male player Karsten Braasch and the Williams sisters. The match took place on court number 12 in Melbourne Park.[19] First Braasch - who was 30 at the time - took on Venus Williams and beat her 6–2. He also played Serena Williams and won 6–1 after the Williams sisters, who were 17 and 16 at the time, said they could beat any man ranked 200 or worse. [20] Braasch said afterwards, "500 and above, no chance" as he claimed he had played like someone ranked 600 in order to keep the game "fun."

dat ether

Considering the week before Wimbledon Dustin Brown lost to a guy 500 in the world Serena would be lucky to beat any guy with an ATP point.

And yes, US mens tennis is in big trouble, there are things I could say about the inner workings of the USTA, but I don't want to burn that bridge, so I'll keep my mouth shut.

Say it. John McEnroe has been spearheading the USTA's "development program" for long enough to see results and we have not. I imagine the "best" prospects are let go in favor of those with rich parents who can afford training.

Considering the week before Wimbledon Dustin Brown lost to a guy 500 in the world Serena would be lucky to beat any guy with an ATP point.

And yes, US mens tennis is in big trouble, there are things I could say about the inner workings of the USTA, but I don't want to burn that bridge, so I'll keep my mouth shut.
I know how you feel brah. Patrick McEnroe is a piece of shit and he is ruining American tennis by trying to get out of his brothers shadow.

agrajag

Banned
dat ether

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/osm/story/0,,543962,00.html

Karsten Braasch said:
My training regime consisted of a leisurely round of golf in the morning followed by a couple of shandies. I turned up on court feeling suitably laid-back.

Both sisters are great tennis players and hit the ball extremely well. However, if you've been playing on the men's tour there are certain shots you can play that are going to put them in difficulty. Try and put a lot spin on the ball - I was hitting the ball with a degree of spin they don't face week-in, week-out. Another key is to chase down every shot. In our match, they were putting shots into the corners that on the women's tour would be winners but I was able to return them.

I know brah. The USTA is a terrible org all around, the US Open is a disgrace of a major.

Ehh I don't know about that. We have lights on all courts for great night sessions, and the largest tennis stadium in the world. Not all majors can stake that claim. American male tennis players may be irrelevant but the US Open is still one of the top 2 slams. What improvements would you suggest? Roof on Arthur Ashe?

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
I also like the USO site since iirc you can stream any match currently underway. Wish every slam would do that shit

szaromir

Banned
Ehh I don't know about that. We have lights on all courts for great night sessions, and the largest tennis stadium in the world. Not all majors can stake that claim. American male tennis players may be irrelevant but the US Open is still one of the top 2 slams. What improvements would you suggest? Roof on Arthur Ashe?
What's so good about it? Players look like ants from higher seats.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member

wut? Wimbledon and the Australian are the clear two best slams. The US probably beats the French, I'll give you that, though. It'd probably contest the Australian if they sorted out the scheduling problems and had more roofed courts, if not Arthur Ashe for obvious reasons.

The main problem with the US Open is the awful scheduling combined with rain. If they got a roof then things would probably be fine and they might even get to have the final on the Sunday.

My Slam ordering is:

Wimbledon
Australian
US Open
French

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
The main problem with the US Open is the awful scheduling combined with rain. If they got a roof then things would probably be fine and they might even get to have the final on the Sunday.

My Slam ordering is:

Wimbledon
Australian
US Open
French

Truth bombs being dropped here. Word.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom