• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wimbledon 2013 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Does this really event count as an upset?

Dude got completely outclassed and outworked. There wasn't anything stunning about it.

SIRF

Dude got completely outclassed and outworked. There wasn't anything stunning about it.

The upset is regarding expectations from players, not how well they played during the match. If people knew Nadal's opponent would play that well, it would not be come as a shock.

I love Wimbledon.

Always nice to see how receptive the crowd is to underdogs. They really got behind him towards the end of that match.

krYlon

Man, did Richie really have to ask Darcy whether he was targeting Rafa's knee/injury?

It's not known for sure, and why take the gloss off his performance like that right after the match?

Madness

Of course it's an upset. The better person always wins. It's an upset because you have a two time Wimbledon champion and current French Open champion, getting demolished in straight sets in the first round. The first time in his career he's ever gone out in the first round of a major. It's entirely unheard of for a guy of his caliber.

Nadal(#5) for all intents should have been seeded much higher, so you have in essence, the #2 or #3 best tennis player in the world get destroyed by an unranked player.

lucius

Nadal injured again bad luck, well you can mark GOAT off more than likely, he could win 5-7 more French Open titles won't matter, you don't win Wimbledon at least 4 times and US Open a couple times you will never be GOAT.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Wimbledon winner will come from the Federer/Murray semi.

Madness

Nadal injured again bad luck, well you can mark GOAT off more than likely, he could win 5-7 more French Open titles won't matter, you don't win Wimbledon at least 4 times and US Open a couple times you will never be GOAT.

You're joking right? He's the best clay court player in the history of tennis. No one has ever won 8 of the same major before.

Plus he's still somewhat young. He should win several more french opens, maybe some other majors. It's really only Nadal, Federer, Murray or Djokovic who win majors. Andy Murray's time is coming.

I don't know about GOAT, you always have someone come around that breaks records and dominates, but you can easily make the case of Nadal, just like you could Federer.

Wilbur

Banned
This is kind of like when someone upsets Serena. The opponent plays the match of their life, and then immediately lose in the next round.

Yeah I said this to my mum immediately after haha.

McEnroe before the match said that he was leaning towards to Nadal when it came to the GOAT talk.

:LOL

It's an odd one because obviously his strengths are all on clay, but for a while he was the absolute superior against the GOAT in Federer, so I can see why someone could argue it. But really he just hasn't sustained versatility across all surfaces long enough.

Reyne

Its not bad luck, as I see it. Nadal's grinding play-style is finally taking its toll. People have called it for years, that something like this would eventually happen. Question is what happens now. Either Rafa will have to adapt and change the way he plays or take another seven-six months off and show up on his favorite clay.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
The really interesting thing about this is that Ferrer has a massive chance to keep extending his lead. How long can Nadal be kept back?

Kenka

This tournament is gonna be good.

popcorn-MJ.gif

SIRF

Its not bad luck, as I see it. Nadal's grinding play-style is finally taking its toll. People have called it for years, that something like this would eventually happen. Question is what happens now. Either Rafa will have to adapt and change the way he plays or take another seven-six months off and show up on his favorite clay.

What is confirmed he had knee problems in this game? I caught the end of it, it seemed like his opponent just completely out-classed him.

Also, the whole Nadal is no longer a GOAT contender and the hate is ridiculous. There are plenty of good arguments for many tennis players (I personally think Federer has this title currently) but to try to out right dismiss people over one game is cartoonish. Also, as others pointed out, you can't ignore Nadal's success and achievements, even if for some reason you hate him.

mcfrank

The really interesting thing about this is that Ferrer has a massive chance to keep extending his lead. How long can Nadal be kept back?

Yep, everyone expected Nadal to gain a bunch of points at Wimbledon, but he will actually end up losing them.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
It's an odd one because obviously his strengths are all on clay, but for a while he was the absolute superior against the GOAT in Federer, so I can see why someone could argue it. But really he just hasn't sustained versatility across all surfaces long enough.

I saw an interesting statistic: out of Nadal's 57 singles titles, 31 are from four tournaments. He's definitely the GOAT on clay, but it's kinda hard to see him as just the GOAT at this point.

zero_suit

I saw an interesting statistic: out of Nadal's 57 singles titles, 32 are from four tournaments. He's definitely the GOAT on clay, but it's kinda hard to see him as just the GOAT at this point.

Nobody is the GOAT.
If we go by the single greatest achievement - Laver
Performance on a single surface - Nadal
Grand Slam Titles - Fed

lucius

You're joking right? He's the best clay court player in the history of tennis. No one has ever won 8 of the same major before.

Plus he's still somewhat young. He should win several more french opens, maybe some other majors. It's really only Nadal, Federer, Murray or Djokovic who win majors. Andy Murray's time is coming.

I don't know about GOAT, you always have someone come around that breaks records and dominates, but you can easily make the case of Nadal, just like you could Federer.

King of Clay is fitting he is looking weaker and weaker on other surfaces, yeah you never know if Joker get hurts, seriously doubt he has GOAT in his future.

mclem

Who's the 5 live commentator with the strong American (possibly New York, but don't quote me on that) accent?

Murray through; let's see who he faces.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
This day is going so well. Nadal out, Murray playing extremely well, Ward about to make 2R, Hewitt GOATing Wawrinka, I'm just 'gasming at the results right now.

EDIT: bah, spoke too soon on Ward.

My fav (Federer) won today. Nadal got his ass kicked and I got shocked

I am sure that his leg injury is the main reason he couldn't fight for too long

But I give credit to Steve for playing a legendary game like how he did today

I am watching Wawrinka now and he sure is LOST in this game. Go King Roger!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom