• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wimbledon 2013 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madness

Nadal's knee has been a problem for many years now. The only reason Federer won the French Open and the only time Nadal lost that year was because of his knee. There was a time around 08/09 Nadal became unbeatable, but it's just too bad. Djokovic soon took over, and now it seems like Murray will hit his stride.

He definitely needs more non-clay tournament wins to be considered the best of the best. Hopefully he regroups after this. Could be a blessing for Murray and could be his year.

Nadal's knee has been a problem for many years now. The only reason Federer won the French Open and the only time Nadal lost that year was because of his knee. There was a time around 08/09 Nadal became unbeatable, but it's just too bad. Djokovic soon took over, and now it seems like Murray will hit his stride.

He definitely needs more non-clay tournament wins to be considered the best of the best. Hopefully he regroups after this. Could be a blessing for Murray and could be his year.

Hoping for a Murray/Federer final.

Murray and Federer are on the same side of the draw :(

Hoping for a Murray/Federer final.

I only had a quick glance, but I think they are on the same side of the bracket. I think its only Djokovic and Ferrer from the top 6 on the one side, and Federer, Nadal, Murray and Tsonga on the other half.

mclem

Is there any big story if Djokovic wins the tournament? If Federer wins, it's win #8; big story. If Murray wins, it's a Brit winning Wimbledon, big story. If anyone else wins, it's likely to be a big story simply because it's not one of Djokivic/Federer/Murray/Nadal.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I just really get the feeling this is Murray's year now. After the Olympic Gold, and considering Federer's form since basically the end of the 2012 hardcourt season, this seems like the year.

Hahaha. His knees were fine today.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Nooooo, Rusty! Don't let me down, mate!

mackaveli

I just really get the feeling this is Murray's year now. After the Olympic Gold, and considering Federer's form since basically the end of the 2012 hardcourt season, this seems like the year.

I'd say it depends if the roof is closed or open.

If the roof is closed Federer will be the easy favorite in my books. Federer is pretty much unbeatable when it's perfect conditions.

If the roof is open then it will be tough for Federer but Federer's movement in the first match looked amazing and if Federer can get to the Semi's with under 8 hours of play I'd favor Federer's chances.

Madness

Yeah just saw. Murray and Federer will have to face each other before final. I want Murray to win. He and the Brits deserve this lol.

Also Nadal's knees aren't fine. He struggled on clay this year too, and that's a surface he knows better than anyone.

Hopefully he regroups but I don't know if he'll ever be dominant off clay again.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I'd say it depends if the roof is closed or open.

If the roof is closed Federer will be the easy favorite in my books. Federer is pretty much unbeatable when it's perfect conditions.

If the roof is open then it will be tough for Federer but Federer's movement in the first match looked amazing and if Federer can get to the Semi's with under 8 hours of play I'd favor Federer's chances.

Last year, maybe. Federer has significantly nose-dived since last year and Murray has improved. I know the Australian Open technically went to five, but it was one of those matches where the winner seemed decided rather early and the other guy just managed to cling on until the bitter end. Since then, Fed has only gotten worse. Hell, he lost a set to Youzhny, who had only ever taken like 3 sets off him before that in something like 14 encounters, and looked in danger of losing the match.

MIMIC

Banned
Question for those who saw the match (I only saw some quick highlights on ESPN a few minutes ago):

Which was the bigger shock? Nadal losing to Rosol or Nadal losing today?
Who played better? Darcis or Rosol?

Question for those who saw the match (I only saw some quick highlights on ESPN a few minutes ago):

Which was the bigger shock? Nadal losing to Rosol or Nadal losing today?
Who played better? Darcis or Rosol?
I think Rosol did. He was hitting second serve bombs last year

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Rosol's 5th set was individually better than any set of Darcis', Rosol was just incredible. On the other hand, Darcis' average level was probably higher - after all, he did do it in just 3 sets.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Not sure why people are saying Rosol. I mean, yes, the 5th set was godlike, but in the other 4, he was just staying ahead of a rather poor Nadal. Like, taking their performances as a whole, Darcis was better.

Rosol's 5th set was individually better than any set of Darcis', Rosol was just incredible. On the other hand, Darcis' average level was probably higher - after all, he did do it in just 3 sets.
I have to give it to Rosol Rafa atleast won a couple set.Today Rafa just couldn't get it going,he looked really off from the start and he gave up when he started to limp.But i don't want to take anything away from the way Darcis played today,he hit some incredible shots and kept Rafa off balanced.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
I'd be amazed if there wasn't a drinking game that involved taking a drink every time an announcer says "Isner-Mahut" during Wimbledon. You'd be shitfaced in like half an hour.

zero_suit

Not sure why people are saying Rosol. I mean, yes, the 5th set was godlike, but in the other 4, he was just staying ahead of a rather poor Nadal. Like, taking their performances as a whole, Darcis was better.

Nadal was in poor form today, too.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Why do these announcers think it's a big deal if Kvitova gets upset? I expect it in just about every one of her matches these days :/

lucius

I really want to see Murray win would be so fun, I'd put money on him against Fed if they both make it that far not against Joker though.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I really want to see Murray win would be so fun, I'd put money on him against Fed if they both make it that far not against Joker though.

But Djokovic is a far worse grasscourt player than both Murray and Federer?

lucius

But Djokovic is a far worse grasscourt player than both Murray and Federer?

Still worried about some lingering injuries poping up with Murray and Fed after some long matches, if they make it through with easy matches though then that's different.

Diamond

Yeah, Fed somehow hasn't had any significant injuries in his career.

"Somehow" has a lot to do with his playstyle. He doesn't need to run hours to win a point, he often goes for the winner and concludes or loses because of his choices. His strokes are the most fluid on the tour. So yeah, it's part luck, but it's not particularly surprising that Federer is virtually never injured (he has recurring back pain though) whereas guys like Nadal or Murray have to stop at some point. I mean look at their matches, it's clear they have a more demanding game.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Hewitt really rolling back the years here. This is great. If he can get through Wawrinka, it's now clean sailing until Isner. How nostalgic would a Hewitt-Federer Wimbledon match be?

yyzjohn

Banned
On the bright side it doesn't really affect Nadal's ranking as he had 0 points for last year's Wimbledon.

Edit: correction 45 points, same shit.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
On the bright side it doesn't really affect Nadal's ranking as he had 0 points for last year's Wimbledon.

Edit: correction 45 points, same shit.

Ferrer has a piss-easy draw to the SF, though, so it pushes Nadal further behind. There's a risk Nadal will be 5th seed at the U.S. Open, which would kill any faint hopes Nadal had left of winning it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom