• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 10 |OT| Something Happened? Something Happened.

Owari

Windows 10 is fantastic. Runs flawlessly on my 2015 Retina MacBook.

Easily the best software/hardware combo I've ever used

Broman1978

Guys I have encountred some problems for the first time in Win 10.
Every time I shut down my PC and start it up again, my PC resets everthing in Edge! All favorites, all passwords Everything!!! =(
Also my desktop background resets also! And Spotify App! I have never encountred anything like this. Anyone else experienced the same errors?
Also is it possible to save and sync my favorites in Edge as you can in Chrome for example?

Every time I plug my laptop in, the built-in touchpad and keyboard stop working. I have to put it to sleep and wake it back up to get it responding again.

No idea how I can even begin to diagnose this issue.

Edit: it turned out to be caused by one of those USB nubs that's used to connect a wireless mouse/keyboard. Unplugging it caused the problem to go away. Must be a bug in the driver.

AFAIK it is officially not possible.
Upgrade once on the same platform, to activate the key. then you try a clean install, or maybe an install that saves your data

I managed it with 8 by signing up and downloading the upgrade tool on a separate x64 laptop, then using it on my x86 PC. Can't remember if I had to wipe everything though.

derFeef

Did a clean install on my SP3, hopefully that gets rid of the battery problems. Also I won't mess with poreview builds again, as much fun as that might be for desktops. It's a bit less fun with Surface. But that's my fault :)

LuffyZoro

I just installed Windows 10 on my desktop and have run into a problem. If I try to open file explorer from the taskbar or start menu, explorer.exe crashes and reopens. I can open folders directly from desktop icons though. Is this a known problem? I wasn't able to find anything on it.

clav

I just installed Windows 10 on my desktop and have run into a problem. If I try to open file explorer from the taskbar or start menu, explorer.exe crashes and reopens. I can open folders directly from desktop icons though. Is this a known problem? I wasn't able to find anything on it.

Open an instance of file explorer not crashing.

Go to View -> Options.

In the first option under the General tab, change "Open File Explorer to: This PC."

Somehow opening directly to quick access crashes on some installations.

Not sure if recent updates addressed this issue. I like opening directly to "This PC" better anyway.

LuffyZoro

Open an instance of file explorer not crashing.

Go to View -> Options.

In the first option under the General tab, change "Open File Explorer to: This PC."

Somehow opening directly to quick access crashes on some installations.

Not sure if recent updates addressed this issue. I like opening directly to "This PC" better anyway.

Hmm, that didn't seem to fix it.

37D46sd.jpg

This new update just isn't working for me. Everytime I reboot it says it's installing but then if you check for updates it says Failed and just downloads it again. It's going to waste all my bandwidth by downloading over and over!
Anyone know how to fix this kind of problem?

LuffyZoro

Alright, after looking around for a while, apparently it was an incompatibility of Autodesk with Windows 10. Once I uninstalled Inventor and AutoCAD, it started working fine. Weird, but alright.

37D46sd.jpg

This new update just isn't working for me. Everytime I reboot it says it's installing but then if you check for updates it says Failed and just downloads it again. It's going to waste all my bandwidth by downloading over and over!

what makes a cumulative update different compared to a build?

How come when I try to put 2 windows side by side..The second window becomes unresponsive? I think this is with google chrome btw.

37D46sd.jpg

I finally fixed it after finding the solution online! I can't believe the reason the security update wouldn't install:

http://borncity.com/win/2015/09/09/windows-10-kb3081455-install-issues-after-start-menu-changes/

It's because I moved some start menu items to a different folder. That is fucking laughable. Get your shit together, Microsoft.

Nabs

How come when I try to put 2 windows side by side..The second window becomes unresponsive? I think this is with google chrome btw.

I have the same issue with Chrome. It happens when I snap the window to the side, resize it down a bit, then resize it back up.

jrush64

Banned
So this is the second time in one week that my laptop has been stuck in an automatic repair loop. I just got the laptop last week. I've restarted it twice and twice it has refused to start.

I'm deleting all my files and restoring windows again. I'm not loving this at all.

What's happening? Does anyone have any idea how to stop this from happening again?

This may be a dumb question and I'm not sure where to ask. So I think somehow Windows 10 downloaded itself to my computer. My drive space is suddenly around 95% full and theres a $Windows.~BT folder there now.

I'm not ready to upgrade yet and I want my space back. Can I just delete this new folder or will that royally screw something up?

longdi

Banned
Is anyone using the Creative Sound Blaster Z on Windows 10? How is it? Are the drivers working perfectly? I'm currently using a Creative XtremeGamer and I'm having some audio popping in games, and Creative support basically told me the card is old, don't expect much more support so I'm thinking about grabbing the SBZ which is £50 on Amazon if you get the OEM version. Side question, will it be a noticeable upgrade over XG? I assume so as it's 7 year old newer tech but I have no idea, I just want a crystal clear microphone and sound for gaming.

DTS connect and Dolby digital live, both are not working.

teiresias

It's some kind of bug in the latest build of Chrome. You can get around it by installing and using a non-default theme in the meantime until Google becomes competent and fixes it.

Available without a subscription? Any good new features? Personally, I still hate a lot of the features introduced in Office 2013. Particularly the slower, let's re-render everything all the time web-applification of Outlook.

idk. but you can try out office 2016 preview which don't expire until november lol.

CaptainABAB

This may be a dumb question and I'm not sure where to ask. So I think somehow Windows 10 downloaded itself to my computer. My drive space is suddenly around 95% full and theres a $Windows.~BT folder there now.

I'm not ready to upgrade yet and I want my space back. Can I just delete this new folder or will that royally screw something up?

Yes, you can remove that folder. Here is some more info on how:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...8/d15416e8-fd5a-4d4e-b04b-5907a4f6c623?auth=1

http://superuser.com/questions/886098/what-is-the-windows-bt-folder

Onenote mobile now has a full screen mode for drawing that hides the taskbar, and makes the UI smaller.

Really nifty to see the app a constant flow of minor updates instead of spaced out bigger ones. Other apps should pick up that pace too!

zulux21

how exactly does reinstalling windows 10 work?

I upgraded my wife's computer from windows 8 to 10, is there a way to make a recovery disk or something as I want to change her hard drive as her current one is showing signs of failing, but I really don't want to start upgrading again from windows 8 as it took a while.

danielcw

I upgraded my wife's computer from windows 8 to 10, is there a way to make a recovery disk or something as I want to change her hard drive as her current one is showing signs of failing, but I really don't want to start upgrading again from windows 8 as it took a while.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

If you have already upgraded once, your key should work.
You could also try just moving all your contents to the new hard drive, with an external software, for example an rescue linux.

EDIT: while I feel pretty confident about that solution, I am not sure, so it would be nice, if anybody else could back me up

zulux21

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

If you have already upgraded once, your key should work.
You could also try just moving all your contents to the new hard drive, with an external software, for example an rescue linux.

EDIT: while I feel pretty confident about that solution, I am not sure, so it would be nice, if anybody else could back me up

is there a good way to locate your windows key? the computer I am doing this to has a dell restore disk that auto fills in the key and while I think I have a key on the back of the disk I am not 100% sure that it is a windows key or some other random thing.

xero273

Anyone use the HDHomerun plugin for Kodi? The plugin was working when I was on windows 7. On windows 10, when i start the plugin, i get stuck on the loading logo screen and hearing the tv sound. Eventually it crashes Kodi.

When is Windows 10 going to update to disable the lock screen and log on screen on startup

hate going through those

Log in screen will probably always be required because Windows uses your login password for encryption features and storing your password on the hard drive would defeat the purpose.

edit: oh I guess userpasswords2 is still around. Yeah, just remember if you disable the password you can't store anything securely on the computer anymore.

maeh2k

Yes, there is. Using the search with the term "recovery", you should be able to find the option create a recovery disk.

is there a good way to locate your windows key? the computer I am doing this to has a dell restore disk that auto fills in the key and while I think I have a key on the back of the disk I am not 100% sure that it is a windows key or some other random thing.

Reactivating Windows with another drive shouldn't be a problem. It should just work automatically. If you do want to find the key, you should be able to use a tool such as speccy.

zulux21

Yes, there is. Using the search with the term "recovery", you should be able to find the option create a recovery disk.

Reactivating Windows with another drive shouldn't be a problem. It should just work automatically. If you do want to find the key, you should be able to use a tool such as speccy.

thanks a lot.

edit: it let me make a recovery drive, but not back up the data on the drive, the sd card i am using is a 16gb sd card.

also speccy doesn't want to run correctly, I figure in both cases I might need to restart the computer, but alas I don't know my wife's msn account password thus I can't do anything more tonight.

it does dawn on me though, absolute worst case i can install windows 8 again, and instead of trying to do all the updates and use the app just use the windows 10 disk I previously made from there since that key should still be valid no problem right?

maeh2k

thanks a lot.

edit: it let me make a recovery drive, but not back up the data on the drive, the sd card i am using is a 16gb sd card.

also speccy doesn't want to run correctly, I figure in both cases I might need to restart the computer, but alas I don't know my wife's msn account password thus I can't do anything more tonight.

it does dawn on me though, absolute worst case i can install windows 8 again, and instead of trying to do all the updates and use the app just use the windows 10 disk I previously made from there since that key should still be valid no problem right?

Yes, but you should still back up all the files.

Windows has two mechanisms to back up the data. There is the full image backup, which can back up the entire system including the data and there's the file history, which backs up only the parts of the data that are in your user directory or in a library.

Here's a guide to use the system image backup: http://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-create-a-system-image-in-windows-10/

That should be the best option for you. I'm not sure, however, how exactly it handles partitions. Either way, if the new drive is set up like the old one, it should work.

To be on the safe side, you could additionally back up the pure data (not just an image) manually.

zulux21

Yes, but you should still back up all the files.

Windows has two mechanisms to back up the data. There is the full image backup, which can back up the entire system including the data and there's the file history, which backs up only the parts of the data that are in your user directory or in a library.

Here's a guide to use the system image backup: http://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-create-a-system-image-in-windows-10/

That should be the best option for you. I'm not sure, however, how exactly it handles partitions. Either way, if the new drive is set up like the old one, it should work.

To be on the safe side, you could additionally back up the pure data (not just an image) manually.
thanks again for all of this. it won't really take much effort to back up stuff though, as the computer completely crashed and burned about a month ago and I just did a fresh install and what not, but back then I had an idea it was the hard drive but hoped that a fresh install would fix it, but it is showing signs of part of the hard drive failing again.

I'll play with it after work tonight.

Rootbeer

Banned
How do I stop windows 10 from asking me to try Office 365... seems to happen like once per week.

*edit* nevermind... seems i had an app called "get office" installed... grumble

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Going nuts here - I have a fresh installed version of Windows 10 and, while everything is mostly fine, my mouse cursors keeps hitching or skipping at random points. Like, I'll drag a window and it just stops moving for a split-second before continuing. It's highly annoying and I haven't been able to isolate the issue. Really unsure as to what is causing it as it does not occur in Windows 7 or 8 on the same hardware.

Rur0ni

Going nuts here - I have a fresh installed version of Windows 10 and, while everything is mostly fine, my mouse cursors keeps hitching or skipping at random points. Like, I'll drag a window and it just stops moving for a split-second before continuing. It's highly annoying and I haven't been able to isolate the issue. Really unsure as to what is causing it as it does not occur in Windows 7 or 8 on the same hardware.
Tried different mouse? Have mouse software installed?

That happened to me a few times too, and it definitely never happened on 8/8.1

----

On another note, there's a good news for the platform, it appears that it now supports one app being a plugin or add on for another app. They talked about that being in development at Build, but I thought it would come next year or so.

Lumia moments have been retooled, and now works as a add on for the camera, instead of being a separate app

http://m.windowscentral.com/photo-add-ins-microsofts-photography-plan-windows-10-mobile

Spladam

How do I stop windows 10 from asking me to try Office 365... seems to happen like once per week.

*edit* nevermind... seems i had an app called "get office" installed... grumble

Set your Windows Update to not download, only tell you when there are downloads available. I have not been offered the upgrade once because I have this setting, and it has not shadow copied the OS onto my HD, as it does if you have auto updates at full auto.

Top Bottom