• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 10 |OT| Something Happened? Something Happened.

pa22word

Welp, got stuck in a innaccessible boot loop after forcing a restart following an explorer crash, and had to go the nuclear option and revert to back to 8.1 in order to save my shit.

This was less than 10 hours after installing win 10 >.>

Guess I'll wait it out a bit more until I dedicate myself to the os...has ms announced how long they're keeping the free upgrade path open? I want the os for dx12 and such, but want to wait until it's as stable as possible that way i don't end up fucked again like I was this time >.>

M3d10n

That happened to me a few times too, and it definitely never happened on 8/8.1

----

On another note, there's a good news for the platform, it appears that it now supports one app being a plugin or add on for another app. They talked about that being in development at Build, but I thought it would come next year or so.

Lumia moments have been retooled, and now works as a add on for the camera, instead of being a separate app

http://m.windowscentral.com/photo-add-ins-microsofts-photography-plan-windows-10-mobile

This is probably how extensions are going to work in Edge. Makes sense as they can leverage the store infrastructure to distribute and update them. It also makes it possible for extensions to be used on mobile.

Nabs

I gave Groove Music a shot, but the 15% CPU usage is just too much to give up for music. Runtime Broker goes nuts when I have it open.

This is probably how extensions are going to work in Edge. Makes sense as they can leverage the store infrastructure to distribute and update them. It also makes it possible for extensions to be used on mobile.
Oh, I haven't thought about that. Damn it would be cool if that's how they handle extensions.

Sydle

Anyone else running into a problem with the Outlook client not connecting to Exchange and Edge not being able to connect to Outlook.com? I also can't launch Chrome. What is happening?

EDIT: Also can't open the Store. And the Windows Update screen in Security and Privacy won't resolve, it just keeps loading. WTF did I do.

EDIT 2: Just did a restart and everything is working now. Did a cold boot this morning, so I'm not sure what changed in the course of 20 minutes. Hope that doesn't happen again.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I ran Windows memory diagnostic (then memtest) but now the Windows memory diagnostic is stuck in the taskbar every time I reboot, any ideas?

And nothing of value was lost. That app was terrible.

Like, I don't even understand how they made it that bad.

Agree, but instead of improving it, outright shutting it is not very good for the platform. Specially for one that allows you to even port your web app with minimal effort.

Riptwo

Agree, but instead of improving it, outright shutting it is not very good for the platform. Specially for one that allows you to even port your web app with minimal effort.

Honestly, when I finally get around to snagging a tablet (probably a Pro 4) I'll just use that workaround to get the Android app.

Can't count the number of times I've tried to double click a song to play from Groove and instead I remove it from the playlist.

When a track is listed in the app/on your playlist, it appears as:

40iJlET.png

Click it once, and the actual options for managing the song appear:

Lfj6ToT.png

So, often when double clicking, my cursor will be in the perfect spot to hit the minus/remove icon on the second click.

Genius fucking UX team. Even the fucking browser app has a hover over.

derFeef

They seem to have released a new installation version via update for older Windows versions. Last one was dated August, this one now says "yesterday". Maybe more devices can upgrade now too.

Mr_Zombie

Has Microsoft reintroduced the Spotlight wallpapers for the lockscreen in one of recent updates? I'm pretty sure it wasn't there in the RTM, but I saw it activated yesterday on my fathers' laptop.

There are improvements to tablet mode (now allows quick snapping from the task view, option to increase group size in start to 4 columns wide, increase of the tile limit from 512 to 1024 (Why there's a limit in the first place?), the web engine has been upgraded, with support for Skype and other VoIP calls without plugins, and more html5 features.

Is there an ETA on plug-in support for Edge?

Supposedly this November, though it should hit insiders before that.

Mr_Zombie

There are also some updates to store apps. It seems Microsoft is experimenting with different icons for their apps. Store, Mail and Pictures (I haven't tried others) no longer have white simplistic icons on the taskbar. Icons are now coloured and detailed (even Store icon) - they look like icons for traditional apps.

Erebus

I have no idea why but a folder named "3D Objects" has appeared in my user directory today. Anyone know what it is?

Okay, so I installed the new build, and now my microphone is replaying everything it hears through the speakers? I've turned it off in device manager for now, but it got suuuuper weird there for a while; it started during the installation, and at first I thought it was crickets, but then I noticed it was repeating my words back at me. Definitely gonna submit feedback on this one :p

On the plus side, my taskbar works again!

EDIT: Wait, no, scratch that, that didn't fix it at all. It still plays back every noise in its vicinity. What the hell.

There are also some updates to store apps. It seems Microsoft is experimenting with different icons for their apps. Store, Mail and Pictures (I haven't tried others) no longer have white simplistic icons on the taskbar. Icons are now coloured and detailed (even Store icon) - they look like icons for traditional apps.

What do you mean? Mine are the same, they did add a few color touches (now they pick the accent color) but it did for me before this new preview, there's no update to any app for me now.

Matty8787

Guys not specifically a windows 10 problem but I will ask here anyhow.

Some Chinese Malware installed itself on my pc, I have no idea how or when but it caused mayhem, absolute mayhem.

Anyway I managed to get it off using Revo uninstaller as everything else brought it up in Chinese so I couldn't make it out.

Since removing it, I have ran Malwarebytes and Windows Defender who both show up clean BUT the problem I am having is I can connect to webpages via windows edge (firefox is currently dead, won't respond at all) but none of my apps will connect.

Steam says unable to connect, as does GOG and all the other apps that require internet access also say this.

What can I do? Worth doing a windows refresh?

Going nuts here - I have a fresh installed version of Windows 10 and, while everything is mostly fine, my mouse cursors keeps hitching or skipping at random points. Like, I'll drag a window and it just stops moving for a split-second before continuing. It's highly annoying and I haven't been able to isolate the issue. Really unsure as to what is causing it as it does not occur in Windows 7 or 8 on the same hardware.
You probably fixed it by now, but for me the issue was f.lux running in the background. I had to put the software in safe mode (or whatever it's called, it's in f.lux's option menu) and it stopped the regular mouse hitching.

Matty8787

I'd do a refresh, but you may try checking your network settings. The malware may have setup a proxy or something like that.

Figured it out!

Opened up CMD and typed in Netsh Winsock Reset and that solved it.

Going to download an AV and let that run overnight to eliminate any possible left overs.

Great!

----

Ms has made improvements to snap in desktop mode too! Now when you snap and resize the window snapping another app to the other side will make it fill the gap completely instead of invoke the snap assist again.

And now there's an extra option that brings the resize UI from tablet mode to the desktop mode (only when you click in the border) so you can also resize windows easily too.

They are now just missing pip view and are good to go.

So if I don't upgrade to Win 10 in time, I lose the chance forever?

And if I do upgrade to Win 10 and downgrade to Win 8.1, do I keep the ability to get Win 10 back?

Airan

I've upgraded my SP3 to W10, and now I cannot for the life of me figure out how to access a Metro app's settings, which used to be swiping the right of the screen to access Settings from the charm bar. What's the W10 way to achieve this?

Nabs

I've upgraded my SP3 to W10, and now I cannot for the life of me figure out how to access a Metro app's settings, which used to be swiping the right of the screen to access Settings from the charm bar. What's the W10 way to achieve this?

The button at the top left of the window.

Elija2

My Xbox app refuses to launch. It just gets stuck on the splash screen and stays like that forever. Every other app seems to work fine though. I tried this fix and got it to launch once but after that it stopped working again. Anyone know another fix?

hadareud

The Translator
?? I also have the 5 points lower score... what in the world is giving you 5 more I wonder?

Good question, but I'd happily trade in the 5 points for my top sites to start working again in the latest build. They randomly disappeared and don't seem to be coming back :(

Jinroh

Pinning shortcuts to the start menu doesn't work anymore on my copy of windows 10. The same happened with the previous install. Is it a known bug? I never had this issue with windows 8/8.1.

MarkusRJR

So my Windows 8.1 laptop is telling me that I still need to be notified when the update is ready despite having a Windows 10 reservation for months now.

What do I do to get it updated? I've already done all the regular updates I can do and I can't find any solution online.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Alright, I am completely baffled as to why I cannot get updates to install anymore. Specifically, KB3081444, KB3081449, & KB3081452. Even weirder/more annoyingly, if I get the updates from Microsoft's support site, it STILL won't install.

If I try to install via Settings, I just get the error 0x8000fff & Google doesn't help since it only talks about installing Windows 10 itself or stuff to fix it on Windows 7 or 8, which doesn't work.

Is it something with my registry that I'm gonna have to go in & tinker with?

Edit: According to Windows Update Diagnostic, says something about "service registration is missing or corrupt".

Edit 2: I think I finally fixed it. Had to do some stuff via command prompt & actually reset my laptop, which I noticed tried to apply some updates, but said it couldn't, so maybe that was why? In any case, seeing if they'll actually be applied now since they installed.

Edit 3: Well, 1449 updated, but for some reason, after downloading 1444 & 1452, they won't install after restarting.

Drifters

Finally upgraded my older i5 desktop last night.... Took ages but finally on 10. Going to end up selling it though since I'm using Azure for all my VM's and don't really use it anymore.

kodecraft

I can't update apps or open the Windows Store, Edge, or any Windows 10 specific apps. All of this used to work just fine. WTH, MS?

Top Bottom