• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 10 |OT| Something Happened? Something Happened.

Every since upgrading, I've been dealing with some extreme latency issues, anyone else in the same boat? I did some research and it seems other are having these issues too.

I noticed it first in Battlefield 4. Before I upgraded, I was Win7 based and had just moved up to Wireless AC, both router and adapter and my ping was butter. 10-30ms on a wireless connection in BF4, Titanfall.

The upgrade though, something's changed. BF4 and TF are no practically unplayable because of these lags spikes that range up to 999ms. It's insane.

I took these steps:
- Turned off Location
- Turned off P2P updates
- Updated motherboard chipset
- Updated wireless driver

Despite this, nothing has worked. I'm stumped and apparently, so are a lot of other folk. Any ideas?

I'm getting god damned sick of these technical preview builds. First it kills my WiFi to such an extent that I spent an hour diagnosing why windows wouldn't boot, only to find I had to literally disable my WiFi driver. Now I go to install the newest build which came out a few days ago and it's just hanging at 32% and I have no idea if I should even try to reboot my PC.

I did a scan in command prompt which tells me I have corrupt files, of course it can't fix them, so I try the online file replacement in command prompt and it can't find them, I try and restore to a previous build which doesn't work and even resetting my PC fails instantly.

This is incredible.

I'm getting god damned sick of these technical preview builds. First it kills my WiFi to such an extent that I spent an hour diagnosing why windows wouldn't boot, only to find I had to literally disable my WiFi driver. Now I go to install the newest build which came out a few days ago and it's just hanging at 32% and I have no idea if I should even try to reboot my PC.

I did a scan in command prompt which tells me I have corrupt files, of course it can't fix them, so I try the online file replacement in command prompt and it can't find them, I try and restore to a previous build which doesn't work and even resetting my PC fails instantly.

This is incredible.

Are you telling me that pre-release builds have bugs and might be unreliable and not ready for day to day use?

Man, that's weird. Why can't I just put a key somewhere and activate the rights instead of making me upgrade to Windows 10 and downgrade?

Because they want you to upgrade now and not whenever you feel like it. It's important to them to drive the adoption as fast as possible.

Are you telling me that pre-release builds have bugs and might be unreliable and not ready for day to day use?

Because they want you to upgrade now and not whenever you feel like it. It's important to them to drive the adoption as fast as possible.

A little more than a bug sir. When windows won't even work at all I'd say it's not fit to be released at all, wouldn't you?

dLMN8R

That is indeed what's called a bug, yes.

Have you reported your problems to Microsoft in any official venues?

-Insider forums?
-Feedback app?
-@GabeAul?

So how much trouble is it to downgrade?

Press a button to upgrade, and then press another button to downgrade?

Will I lose any settings? Or does the upgrade clone everything that I have set up for Win 8.1?

clav

So how much trouble is it to downgrade?

Press a button to upgrade, and then press another button to downgrade?

Will I lose any settings? Or does the upgrade clone everything that I have set up for Win 8.1?

For you, wait for TH2 since you're on the fence now.

A lot of refined improvements in the stable ring will make the upgrade experience more of a wow factor.

This is a noob question, but how do my drivers get updated to Windows 10 versions?

For example, when I installed my graphics card drivers, I chose Win7 64bit. When I upgrade, will my graphics not work until I manually go out and download the appropriate Win10 drivers? How will I know what I need to manually update or uninstall/reinstall?

A little more than a bug sir. When windows won't even work at all I'd say it's not fit to be released at all, wouldn't you?

There's a reason why they tell you not to install preview on your main PC. The whole point of preview is to find bugs, some of which could brick your system. It's the risk you take when you preview.

Jag

Any suggestions on how to migrate W10 to a new, smaller SSD without cloning the old HD? My old HD is much bigger than the new SSD, so cloning won't work, but that seems to be the method recommended by googling it.

That is indeed what's called a bug, yes.

Have you reported your problems to Microsoft in any official venues?

-Insider forums?
-Feedback app?
-@GabeAul?

Personally no, the "bug" I'm experiencing has already been reported and a Microsoft insider has stated it even had to be pulled as it wasn't for for release.

dLMN8R

Personally no, the "bug" I'm experiencing has already been reported and a Microsoft insider has stated it even had to be pulled as it wasn't for for release.

If it's not a bug then what exactly do you think it should be called?

There are millions of Insiders. Millions of people are not broken. You are, which sucks, but that doesn't make it anything out of the ordinary that you shouldn't expect from opting-in to preview pre-release software.

It doesn't matter if someone else has already reported it. You could be seeing something similar but for an entirely different reason. You should report it via official channels, otherwise the teams working on this product will have absolutely no idea that you're actually having a problem, and hence will spend exactly 0 time trying to investigate or fix your problem.

If you don't like it, I strongly recommend you revert back to using the retail build 10240.

MarkusRJR

So my Windows 8.1 laptop is telling me that I still need to be notified when the update is ready despite having a Windows 10 reservation for months now.

What do I do to get it updated? I've already done all the regular updates I can do and I can't find any solution online.
Does anyone know a solution to this? I can't seem to get my computer to install Windows 10 at all.

Airan

The button at the top left of the window.

Ah thanks. I don't have my SP3 on hand but I'm almost certain that that button (the 3 horizontal dots?) doesn't actually appear when in Tablet mode and the app is fullscreen'ed. They didn't quite think this through...

M3d10n

Any suggestions on how to migrate W10 to a new, smaller SSD without cloning the old HD? My old HD is much bigger than the new SSD, so cloning won't work, but that seems to be the method recommended by googling it.

Move the excess files to an external HDD then use something like EaseUS PartitionMagic to shrink it before cloning.

Actually, I think EPM can actually do the whole shrinking/cloning for you, as long as you get rid of the excess files first.

-- EDIT --
Yes, it has a feature specifically for migrating the OS from an HDD to SSD: http://www.partition-tool.com/copy-wizard/migrate-os-to-ssd.htm

j-wood

Need some PC help:

I had to update my bios today because it fixed a bug in windows 10 where task manager showed my CPU always at 100%.

Bios update went fine, but it reset my bios settings, including the SATA controller type. I did have it on RAID, but now windows only boots if the controller type is set to AHCI, which makes my RAID inaccessible. If i set the controller type to RAID, windows won't boot with "inaccessible boot device". The OS is actually on an SSD that's not in the RAID. I just have steam and all my games installed on the RAID.

I had this issue in windows 7 when i first setup my RAID. I found this article where I had to change a couple of keys in the registry and that fixed it. But these keys are in these locations in windows 10 and I couldn't find them doing a "Find".

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/922976

Halp?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Does anyone know if I can use the media creation tool and a Windows 7 upgrade key to clean install W10?

I already have an old laptop with W7 installed, and it was installed via an upgrade key.

Does anyone know if I can use the media creation tool and a Windows 7 upgrade key to clean install W10?

I already have an old laptop with W7 installed, and it was installed via an upgrade key.

I have been trying (and failing) to install... well, anything with an upgrade key for a while now. Better option is to do the upgrade (to win 10), then do a reset and choose to ditch your data. It's basically as good as a clean install, albeit with some more waiting involved.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I have been trying (and failing) to install... well, anything with an upgrade key for a while now. Better option is to do the upgrade (to win 10), then do a reset and choose to ditch your data. It's basically as good as a clean install, albeit with some more waiting involved.

Thanks for the info.

Is there a guide or tutorial that describes the process? There is a reset option for W10 that wipes everything and installs it clean again? Do you know if, once I do the upgrade to W10, if I could then recover that W10 product key somehow and then save it for use for a future clean install?

Thanks for the info.

Is there a guide or tutorial that describes the process? There is a reset option for W10 that wipes everything and installs it clean again? Do you know if, once I do the upgrade to W10, if I could then recover that W10 product key somehow and then save it for use for a future clean install?

Hmm...

In order:

Settings app > Update > Reset and follow the prompts from there

It uninstalls everything (apps, programs, OS) and reinstalls the OS. It's basically as good as a clean install, and I think that there's an option to ditch your data as well. It doesn't offer the formatting options, though (at least, I don't remember it offering them; it's been a while).

What it should do is upgrade your key to a full win 10 key that can later be used like... well, any other win 10 key.

Every since upgrading, I've been dealing with some extreme latency issues, anyone else in the same boat? I did some research and it seems other are having these issues too.

I noticed it first in Battlefield 4. Before I upgraded, I was Win7 based and had just moved up to Wireless AC, both router and adapter and my ping was butter. 10-30ms on a wireless connection in BF4, Titanfall.

The upgrade though, something's changed. BF4 and TF are no practically unplayable because of these lags spikes that range up to 999ms. It's insane.

I took these steps:
- Turned off Location
- Turned off P2P updates
- Updated motherboard chipset
- Updated wireless driver

Despite this, nothing has worked. I'm stumped and apparently, so are a lot of other folk. Any ideas?

No one else going through this? D:

So I tried to download the latest update onto my dell venue 8, and it reached 100% and then restarted but when it restarted a red box popped up saying secure boot violation. No combination of keys will restart it now either, I don't know what to do.

clav

So I tried to download the latest update onto my dell venue 8, and it reached 100% and then restarted but when it restarted a red box popped up saying secure boot violation. No combination of keys will restart it now either, I don't know what to do.

Turn off secure boot in the UEFI BIOS.

Hold down the power button for a number of seconds to turn off the system.

Turn on the system and hold down the volume down button to enter the UEFI BIOS settings.

It looks like my windows broke after coming back from sleep. It changed the language to English, the build in mic stopped working, edge is crashing all the time... I tried a reset and got a "Updates were Installed" notification, and apparently there was a firmware update for the sp3 from 19th but it only installed now.

Mr_Zombie

Is W10 bug free enough to update to or should I wait for SP1?

I think it's hard to tell. I've been sitting on insider preview builds (currently at 10547) since the first build was released and haven't had any major problems with the system for few builds now. On the other hand, there are people who have problems with the official build.

And as brotkasten said - there won't be any service packs. Microsoft constantly releases new updates and cumulative updates with bug fixes and/or new features. However, a big update - which will fix few UI annoyances among other things - is expected to be released in November, so you can wait till then.

I think it's hard to tell. I've been sitting on insider preview builds (currently at 10547) since the first build was released and haven't had any major problems with the system for few builds now. On the other hand, there are people who have problems with the official build.

And as brotkasten said - there won't be any service packs. Microsoft constantly releases new updates and cumulative updates with bug fixes and/or new features. However, a big update - which will fix few UI annoyances among other things - is expected to be released in November, so you can wait till then.
where did you hear about november update?

Turn off secure boot in the UEFI BIOS.

Hold down the power button for a number of seconds to turn off the system.

Turn on the system and hold down the volume down button to enter the UEFI BIOS settings.

Man you rock. I tried that when I got home and it worked like a charm.

MarkusRJR

Have you tried downloading the Media creation tool?
Sorry for the late response, but when using the media creation tool it constantly just goes to "we're getting a few things ready" after selecting the upgrade option. I've left it for hours multiple times and it keeps getting stuck at this screen.

The normal Get Windows 10 application still tells me that it'll notify me when it's ready. UGH. Getting so frustrated.

EDIT: Tried the media create tool a 4th time and this time instead of going to the "getting a few things ready" screen it went to a downloading screen. Hopefully it finally works this time.

Why is the upgrade experience so bad? After my OS install collapsed, I decided to remove everything and start anew. I've been using for days without a single app crashing. The language switch icon that had disappeared is now back, and I even received the new more colorful icons for the apps.

Really, for an OS that is supposed to be delivered as a service, they really need to step up their game in making sure strange bugs doesn't happen when hopping through builds. On both mobile and desktop I pretty much have to hard reset every new build released otherwise the system becomes an unstable mess and everything collapses.

It even mess up with my feedback. When I upgraded to 10547 for instance, the language switch bar changed to it's old Vista/Win7 look. I made a report about it, but it turns out it's not a bug in the build, just something that went wrong when updating.

In the mobile version it wasn't so different, I spent weeks reporting issues with the store and app purchases only to find out that my store was broken and a simple hard reset solved all that.

Top Bottom