• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 10 |OT| Something Happened? Something Happened.

I really wish they would bring the mobile Skype app back. The current desktop one is so shit and janky for multitasking in tablet mode. Randomly goes full screen, when snapped it will ONLY take up half the screen (if you try to make it thinner it will not allow it).

I really liked how the mobile one could go ultra thin so you just had the conversation viewable on the far side of the screen while you're doing other stuff. The stupid desktop app insists to have that dumb bar on the side of the window with all your contacts and conversations and it just takes up space.

I really wish they would bring the mobile Skype app back. The current desktop one is so shit and janky for multitasking in tablet mode. Randomly goes full screen, when snapped it will ONLY take up half the screen (if you try to make it thinner it will not allow it).

I really liked how the mobile one could go ultra thin so you just had the conversation viewable on the far side of the screen while you're doing other stuff. The stupid desktop app insists to have that dumb bar on the side of the window with all your contacts and conversations and it just takes up space.

A new universal Skype messaging app is coming and I suspect it will launch alongside the Windows 10 Threshold 2 update in November.

Need some help from PC GAF here. Two questions holding me back from my upgrade which finally showed up for my desktop today. Firstly, what happens if I upgrade but buy a new mobo next year? Is my copy invalidated for the new mobo since they're apparently tied to them?

Secondly, security. Is there actually a way to completely disable the incredible amount of data they decide they want to rip out of your PC without a words notice? I'm not talking about the general opt out stuff either. I've read a lot about other portions of the OS doing these sorts of things without any direct option to turn it off.

These are the only reasons I haven't upgraded today to be honest. Though the more I search the more it sounds like people are having some really troubling bugs. Is it even worth upgrading yet?

Limit

I had one of the most horrendous experiences with changing to a different hard drive and getting windows 10 to work. It's a miracle it is somehow working right now.

Last week the hard drive on my laptop decided that it was going to start failing on me. So after ordering a new hard drive I started doing research on how I was going to transfer stuff. Came to conclusion that straight copying of system from one hard drive to another tends to give folks more issues then not; so clean installation it is. Used some software to retrieve windows 10 key since I got it through 8.1 upgrade and had no original key for it, transferred documents to an external hard drive, and transferred windows 10 installer to a usb drive. Prep complete. All good to go.

Or so I thought.

New hard drive arrives on monday. Installation is easy peasy. Hook up jump drive. And installed windows 10. It asks for key and I type it in. Windows 10 tells me "nuh uh, this isn't it". It lets me install it but windows itself isn't activated. Thankfully getting to chat with MS customer support via "contact support" app is easy. I am connected to Ria O and within 2 minutes she is up to speed on what happened. Connects to my laptop via remote desktop and starts doing some stuff in cmd. After 45 minutes comes to conclusion that she needs my windows 8 key for this to work. I had lost that long time ago but thankfully still had purchase email saved up. So I am now on phone with ms store customer service because Ria is tech support and can't help me on this endeavor. 20 minutes later have my windows 8 key. Good deal. Now I am connected to another tech who tries to fix my activation issue via remote desktop but comes to conclusion that I will have to install windows 8 on this new hard drive and upgrade all the way to 10. No other way to fix activation issue.

Ok. Not the end of the world. I download windows 8 on 10 and do the upgrade (downgrade?) process to 8. After installing that + all the updates (you have to) download 8.1 and install that too as you can't upgrade from 8 to 10. Finally am ready to go to 10 but 10 installation keeps failing on me. After trying and failing 5 times I came to conclusion that it must be because I installed 8 on top of 10. So back to windows 8. This time I clean the hard drive and do a fresh install. Update to 8.1 and decide to do system refresh because I just want to be sure that the previous installation issue doesn't occur again. Well, 8.1 tells me that some installation files are missing so it can't be done. By this time it had been solid 20 hours across a span of 4 days that I have been dealing with this. Just rage inducing. I decide to push through it and do windows 10 upgrade and do system refresh on it. Well, upgrade fails on me 2 times. Quick google search on "stuck on device drivers" tells me that I need to upgrade to latest video drivers to ameliorate this issue, which were already installed. So I decide to rollback to 2013 drivers from dell (most recent ones from them for this laptop) and try this again. Finally it works. Did system refresh and everything is stable for now.

Overall 25 hours spent on a simple hard drive swap. The upgrade process is just nuts. The only positive part of this experience was how nice the microsoft tech people were. They spent a good hour and a half trying to fix my issue. Props to them.

So i suffered the Bad System Config Info on windows 10 yesterday, so i did some research and people say it best to just do a clean re-install which i did...but problem now is, it say my windows 10 is not activate? I came from 8.1 pro and did the free upgrade now this happen ....any solutions?

Mr_Zombie

*installing Win10 on new harddrive story*

Wait, shouldn't Win8 key be converted to a Win10 key after you did the upgrade. It would be nuts if every time you want to do a clean install of Windows 10 you would need to go through the process of updating Win8 to Win8.1, and then finally updating it to Win10.

kami_sama

I've been trying to install iTunes on my new instalation of windows 10, and each and everytime it crashed midway with
error durante la instalación del ensamblaje
Microsoft. VC80.CRT.type="win32".version="8.0.50727.6195".publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b ".processorArchitecture="amd64"
Anyone has solved this?

CaptainABAB

Secondly, security. Is there actually a way to completely disable the incredible amount of data they decide they want to rip out of your PC without a words notice? I'm not talking about the general opt out stuff either. I've read a lot about other portions of the OS doing these sorts of things without any direct option to turn it off.

This guide should help you out in terms of the privacy settings...
https://www.thurrott.com/windows/wi...tip-understand-and-configure-privacy-settings

Anyone using the edge browser? Does it surpass Chrome? Chrome is my go-to browser atm
It's good, but still feels incomplete and a bit unstable.

In general it's usually faster and lighter on battery life compared to chrome, but in some webpages it just halts entirely (Thankfully, every page is a separate thread so the others and the browser itself remains quite smooth).

jsnepo

I want to reset Windows 10 and found that one option say that I can keep my personal files. What are these personal files anyway? Are they the files found under music, documents, videos folders, and local copies of OneDrive files?

Jedi2016

Just ran the upgrade. I did need one extra reboot for the menus and stuff to work right, but no problems since then, seems pretty solid. This going from Win7Pro>Win10Pro. Still going through and turning stuff off, which will probably take a while.

Honestly, the whole thing's pretty painless... it's nice not to have to reinstall everything and reconfigure everything from scratch like if I'd done it from disc. I'm sure I'll have to eventually wipe and reload everything, but so far so good.

So I'm still trying to go from build 10532 to 10547 and I'm still getting the stuck at 32% issue. Looking online and trying lots of fixes isn't helping. Seems I'll be stuck on 10132 forever.

So my question is, can I bypass this build and skip to a newer one somehow? Apparently this flaw has been fixed in newer builds.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Is it me or there is no "let me install updates when I decide to shut down my computer fuck you very much" option in the updates settings? If there is, where?

This morning my computer decided to warn me it was going to reboot in 10 minutes to install some updates, which of course I deferred. Then I left for work. Now I'm back home, and a few minutes after I turned on my computer it rebooted without any warning to install said updates.

I mean, I get that they want your PC to be up to date, but it's ridiculous. I turn it off everyday. I don't need it to automatically schedule some supposedly 'appropriate' time where I supposedly don't use my computer (hint: I do use it every morning at that time).

Halp?

Mr_Zombie

In Windows 8 the system gave you 2 days to reboot the computer. It would automatically install updates but, in contrast to Win7, it wouldn't bug you to reboot the PC just after that. Instead it would put a message on the lock screen that, if you won't reboot your computer yourself till that time, the computer will be rebooted automatically in 2 days.

I suppose it works the same in Windows 10.

danielcw

Is it me or there is no "let me install updates when I decide to shut down my computer fuck you very much" option in the updates settings? If there is, where?

Windows 10 enforces updates. It is my primary, and almost only reason, why I do not try Windows 10

The people app has an update that's failing to install with an error code 0x80070491. I tried every step by step procedure I could find and couldn't fix it. I even soft reset my install (erase everything but keep my files) and it's not fixed.

The app works normally, but this is driving me nuts!

Has anyone else had problems connecting to a wireless display (Miracast)?

Since upgrading to Windows 10 I can't connect my surface 3 to the Xbox one to cast the screen... Most of the time my wireless adaptor craps out too.

Works in reverse however, I can cast my Xbox to the surface via the Xbox app.

What the fuck? I just booted up, as normal, and after putting in my Microsoft account password, despite the fact that I said I didn't want a Windows password but had to use one because I logged into the Windows app store, my shit was all fucked up. All icons missing, profile reset to default like I was just going into Windows for the first time.

FUCK Windows 10 and FUCK Microsoft. Fucking worthless piece of fucking shit.

Giolon

What the fuck? I just booted up, as normal, and after putting in my Microsoft account password, despite the fact that I said I didn't want a Windows password but had to use one because I logged into the Windows app store, my shit was all fucked up. All icons missing, profile reset to default like I was just going into Windows for the first time.

FUCK Windows 10 and FUCK Microsoft. Fucking worthless piece of fucking shit.

Try logging out and logging back in. I used to get this on my laptop in Win 10 beta, but haven't seen it in a good while.

I think I just realized why my battery life wasn't ever the same on win10. When you have many apps opened on desktop mode they stay running like they were in foreground even on battery life (I guess unless you minimize them). Tablet mode switches to the same app life cycle, where only foreground apps actually run.

It should be obvious, but it never clicked XD

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Hey guys. Just have a really dumb question. I have a fairly old Apple Cinema Display that I would like to get it to work on my Windows 10 machine. The Apple Display come with a big box that has a DVI cable, a USB cable and also something that looks like it predates Apple's thunderbolt port. Anyways, obviously my PC is not going to have Apple proprietary port on it, so I tried connecting it with the DVI. However, it is not working and the monitor remains black. I am wondering if I need some kind of adaptor for that in order to work ? I've tried looking up online and the answer is all mumble jumble that doesn't make any sense. Thanks for answering :)

Jay Sosa

From the chrome thread:

Hi!

I just upgraded my tablet to windows 10 and now the touch keyboard doesn't pop up automatically anymore (neither in tablet or desktop mode). Works fine when I'm using edge but neither with firefox, opera or chrome.

Tried this but that didn't fix it:

John Schroeder said:
I found a fix. Go to chrome://flags and change the "Enable Touch Events" setting from "Automatic" to "Enable". The current version of Chrome apparently does not detect the touch capabilities of Windows 10.

So yeah.. does anyone have any other ideas how to fix this?

One more question..if I don't get this to work I might go back to Win 8.1. Is the upgrade to Win10 a one time thing or can I simply rollback and upgrade from 8.1 again if they finally fixed some of these issues?

From the chrome thread:

Hi!

I just upgraded my tablet to windows 10 and now the touch keyboard doesn't pop up automatically anymore (neither in tablet or desktop mode). Works fine when I'm using edge but neither with firefox, opera or chrome.

Tried this but that didn't fix it:

So yeah.. does anyone have any other ideas how to fix this?

One more question..if I don't get this to work I might go back to Win 8.1. Is the upgrade to Win10 a one time thing or can I simply rollback and upgrade from 8.1 again if they finally fixed some of these issues?

It's a system option now.

Go to settings, devices, typing. There's a toggle there to enable the on screen keyboard to pop up outside of tablet mode.

Jay Sosa

Thanks but already did that, doesn't change anything. As I said it works fine when using edge or any other MS products.

EDIT: Cause of that I gave Edge a shot. Then I realized it doesn't support extensions..oh microsoft. Guess I have to wait until opera or chrome comes up with a solution to this.

So I just tried upgrading to W10 and I gotta say this is by far the worst experience I've had with an OS. I'd go as far as to say it's the worst experience I've had with any software in my life. I have a Netgear Wifi adapter which seems to be a death warrant for W10. Firstly I couldn't get past the 'next' button, had to unplug the adapter to do it, then it let me into the OS. It takes 3-4 times as long to boot up as W7 did. This was only the beginning of the problems.

I found out shortly after that it's the Netgear adapter which is W10 compatible may I add, so decided to try using the basic chipset drivers instead of Netgears but W10 couldn't work out how to uninstall a device or any drivers, turns out I had a 1-2 minute window from boot up where that would work so had to reboot a few times to get that done. Autofind drivers didn't work either, well they did but only for a couple minutes too. Decided to search for W10 drivers for the device. They wouldn't install. Had to reboot again but windows forgot how to turn off, it turned off everything but the actual mobo/processor so had to pull the plug. Eventually got the drivers to install and my network list locked up permanently. PC was running at a stand still at this point off a 4790k.

So now I'm back on Windows 7 and I got to congratulate the team at MS, they actually went above and beyond to make an OS that's so much worse than Vista that I can look back at it with positive thoughts. Not really sure what to do now, I want DX12 for my Pascal card next year but this OS is broken beyond belief.

Oh sorry, i missed that part. Don't know what's the issue then, but chrome worked from me right away, didn't even had to set a flag.

Edit: Extensions are coming to Edge next month for what's worth, if you care to give it a chance.

Oh sorry, i missed that part. Don't know what's the issue then, but chrome worked from me right away, didn't even had to set a flag.

Edit: Extensions are coming to Edge next month for what's worth, if you care to give it a chance.

YES!

Looking forward to switching back from Chrome.

Prez

Would it be a bad idea to upgrade to Windows 10 on a netbook with a 1Ghz processor (AMD A4-1200) and 2GB RAM? It originally came with W8. Would a fresh Windows 8 install run better? It's for browser use only. I have no idea how W8 and W10 compare on weak hardware and I don't want to waste a license key.

clav

Would it be a bad idea to upgrade to Windows 10 on a netbook with a 1Ghz processor (AMD A4-1200) and 2GB RAM? It originally came with W8. Would a fresh Windows 8 install run better? It's for browser use only. I have no idea how W8 and W10 compare on weak hardware and I don't want to waste a license key.

Have it running on an AMD C-60 processor on one setup.

If you're sticking to Microsoft's browser, then don't do it.

If you're running a difference browser, then it won't matter.

Prez

Have it running on an AMD C-60 processor on one setup.

If you're sticking to Microsoft's browser, then don't do it.

If you're running a difference browser, then it won't matter.

Thanks, though isn't Edge supposed to be low footprint compared to Firefox and Chrome?

derFeef

Search does not show me the Settings menu options, is this a common bug? I tried re-indexing but I figured that's not the problem. Even inn the Settings menu, when I search for a setting it does not show me anything, or wrong items.

SigSig

It has been revealed that when users connect to their Microsoft user account page, Outlook.com, or OneDrive.com even when using HTTPS, the connection leaks a unique identifier that can be used to retrieve the name and profile photo in plaintext.

(...)

In short, it means that the CID can be used to retrieve the user's profile image, and it can also be used via the OneDrive site to retrieve a user's account display name. By accessing metadata from Microsoft's Live service with the CID, someone could also retrieve information about when the account was last accessed and when it was created. The same metadata can expose information associated with the Live Calendar application, including user location.

http://www.neowin.net/news/your-mic...r-is-stored-in-plain-text-exposing-you-online

Pachimari

I see this is the OT, and I am having major Network communication problems, so I have decided that I want to install Windows 10 completely fresh after I have done my backups. I want to do it through a USB stick I have but apparently I don't know how to do it.

I have downloaded a MediaCreationToolx64.exe but it can't see my USB stick.

So is there a step-by-step guide as to how I can install W10 fresh?

[edit]
Never mind. I think I found out.

Pachimari

I guess I need help anyway. I just installed Windows 10 from my USB but there's a Windows.old folder that I can't erase.

How do I install Windows 10 clean while deleting everything?
Every time I try to press F12, F9 etc. at boot up, nothing happens, and it just continues starting up Windows 10.

Top Bottom