• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 10 |OT| Something Happened? Something Happened.

derFeef

I guess I need help anyway. I just installed Windows 10 from my USB but there's a Windows.old folder that I can't erase.

How do I install Windows 10 clean while deleting everything?
Every time I try to press F12, F9 etc. at boot up, nothing happens, and it just continues starting up Windows 10.

You can erase that Windows.old folder with the disk cleanup option on your system drive.
For clean install - go to Settings > Update & Security > Recovery

Pachimari

Yeah I did that. But I don't understand, does Windows 10 take up like 40gb? Because I only have around 180gb out of 250gb free after installing Windows 10 fresh.

I don't know if I have done it the right way though?

derFeef

I think it's around 10gb, but depending on your ram etc. it can add up because of hibernation file and so on. Let explorer show hidden folders and look out for "~" folders in your C drive, you can ususally delete them. Also the files in C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download can be erased with no harm usually. (update files etc...)

thenexus6

As a guy that has a mac where safari and itunes work flawlessly, what is the best browser and music management programs on windows?

Damn, I just have an awesome idea.

Ms should totally allow extensions for onenote, to add real functionality.

Think for instance a finance tracker extension, you could add incomes and payments, generate graphics and whatnot, but it would be linked to notes, so for each bill you could have the real document scanned, with all the onenote mojo applied to it (like indexing and OCRing the picture and annotations)

Damn, it would be awesome.

maxxpower

I can't get Windows 10 update to download the latest cumulative update. I've had this problem with the last few updates were I try multiple times but it always gives me the "Retry later" error. I also can't seem to download any app updates on the Windows Store app.

I kinda fucking hate Windows 10. Nothing ever works like it should. I might try doing a clean install again.

kodecraft

I can't get Windows 10 update to download the latest cumulative update. I've had this problem with the last few updates were I try multiple times but it always gives me the "Retry later" error. I also can't seem to download any app updates on the Windows Store app.

I kinda fucking hate Windows 10. Nothing ever works like it should. I might try doing a clean install again.

I had this problem, until I did a clean install.

I love Windows 10.

maxxpower

I had this problem, until I did a clean install.

I love Windows 10.

I guess I'll do a clean install again. I clean installed it originally but it has never worked right. I really don't want to go back to 8.1 because Windows 10 is pretty damn cool. When it works.

Altazor

Musicbee is fucking great, even if it doesn't have a (default) Windows 10 interface. It's coming on the next version, but some of the custom skins included are still pasable for a W10 style.

kodecraft

I guess I'll do a clean install again. I clean installed it originally but it has never worked right. I really don't want to go back to 8.1 because Windows 10 is pretty damn cool. When it works.

Clean install it from a Windows.ISO that is a free download on Microsoft's site.

Jzero

I just purchased a fingerprint reader for use with Windows Hello. It'll arrive on Sunday so i'll let you guys know how well it works.

Hackworth

Hey people, are there any crippling bugs I should watch out for going from Windows 8 to 10? I use my laptop for games and work, so it being out of commission for a while would be a major problem.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
anybody dualbooting this with ubuntu?

I would like to do it, but I'm going 500GB ssd as system drive, so wasting space is not cool. I would like to make the correct partition size for windows to run awesome and have access to all my files from both partitions.

Carm

I'm sorry this is more than likely totally off topic, but I wasn't sure if I should make a whole new thread about these questions or not but they're sorta about windows 10.

About a month back my sister asked to borrow my Windows 7 disc so she could upgrade from, if I remember right, an unregistered version of Windows XP, so she could then upgrade to Windows 10. This just sounds odd to me but whatever, she informs me she can use it unregistered, I wasn't about to argue with her. So, she brought it up again this week and I gave the disc to my mother to give to her.

Tonight, my mother calls and tells me my sister needs my product key for Win7... the key I'm already using. Now maybe I don't fully understand this registration thing, but I'm already using the key so what purpose would using my key have? I told her I wasn't gonna give my key to her and my sister threw a huge fit, mind you she is 45 years old... anyway.

Am I wrong in thinking something ain't quite right with this scenario? So, if I wanted to buy a copy of Windows for her either 7/8 to upgrade to windows 10 or 10 itself, to stop her bugging me, since apparently she can has 15k for a 2015 car but no money for Windows, what would be the best way to do that? I see OEM discs on Amazon for 7, I don't remember what that is since I have a full retail release of 7.

So, pretend she has no OS to upgrade from, what should I buy for her to finally end up on Windows 10, preferably whatever the cheapest route is, though she is probably computer illiterate more than I could be, so would need some information to come with the purchase.

Any help with this situation would be appreciated.

It's not really a big deal at all but I find it funny that the Windows 10 calculator app takes a couple seconds to load with a splash screen icon instead of just starting instantly like the old Windows 7 calculator. It's just clumsy and a step backwards for no reason.

It's not really a big deal at all but I find it funny that the Windows 10 calculator app takes a couple seconds to load with a splash screen icon instead of just starting instantly like the old Windows 7 calculator. It's just clumsy and a step backwards for no reason.

Mine loads so fast the splash screen all but flashes when the window is loading.

Other apps takes a little more time, but I'm very satisfied with how fast metro apps open, it's a remark improvement over W8.

Yeah annoying, sometimes I have to press the shortcut button on my keyboard twice to make it load, sometimes only once...

The problem with making everything an "app" in windows 10 is they all have some kind of default boot up splash screen.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I am fucking tearing my hair out trying to upgrade to Windows 10 from the Technical Preview I've been using. (Build 10061)

I am now at the point where the license is expired and the thing is shutting down every two hours outside of my control.
And I desperately want to upgrade. I have a legit Windows 7 key that is not recognized on the official website and every 'helpful' page on the Windows website is fucking sending me in circles.

I can't go back to W7 because it doesn't recognize the key.
I can't upgrade from the TP to the final release through windows update because windows update gives me the 0x80248014 error.
I can't upgrade through the upgrade tool because it doesn't recognize my key.
Even fucking basic settings windows just crash repeatedly.

What the actual fuck. Anyone have an idea on how I can go back to W7 and just follow the legit upgrade path from W7 Sp1 to W10? Thishttps://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows7 website just rejects the key so I can't even get the .iso.

article-2139398-12ec78kj7w.jpg
Help me out, GAF, you're my only hope.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Have you tried calling MS?

There's no number to call. I am on the dutch website which then redirects me to a list of FAQ on the US site, no phone numbers.
I click 'services and apps' on the dutch contact page and it just redirects to itself every time. I click 'contact our answer desk'. Nope, just a redirect to a different half-dutch half English support page with FAQ.
I go to the bottom of the page for contact info -> support with windows 10 -> same page I was on ten seconds earlier. FAQ's. It's completely sporadic in giving me a US page or a dutch one.

This truly is my personal circle of hell.

Mr_Zombie

The main question is: why are you still on build 10061? :O That build was released about half year ago and back then the system was still buggy and unstable. And since a lot of newer builds were released in the mean time (including the currently official one) your old one is marked expired.

Anyway, if Microsoft's site doesn't recognize your Windows 7 key it means the key is invalid and wouldn't work even during the upgrade/fresh install. If you're sure you are not using an OEM key and have a proof of buying the system, maybe try contacting Microsoft.

Here's a page with global customer service phone numbers: http://support2.microsoft.com/gp/customer-service-phone-numbers/en-gb?linkid=8074247

Hoo-doo

Banned
The main question is: why are you still on build 10061? :O That build was released about half year ago and back then the system was still buggy and unstable. And since a lot of newer builds were released in the mean time (including the currently official one) your old one is marked expired.

Anyway, if Microsoft's site doesn't recognize your Windows 7 key it means the key is invalid and wouldn't work even during the upgrade/fresh install. If you're sure you are not using an OEM key and have a proof of buying the system, maybe try contacting Microsoft.

I get why my build is marked as expired. And I don't use the windows PC for any real work, just the occasional PC game.
Hence it doesn't get used much and Windows Update was fucked from day one so it did not prompt to update ever.

And the W7 key I have is legitimate. I guess i'm going to have to wait until Monday for the call centers to open up. Frustrating as hell.

Have you tried upgrading to win 10 without putting any key?

It will mark your copy as illegitimate, but then you can just opt in to the insider preview and you be granted a valid license for while you are testing.

Not optimal, but at least you be able to use your pc to resolve what you have to do.

Anyone else having problems where apps are unresponsive after being in the background? I'll minimize ESPN or News, then come back later and have to close the apps down and restart them.

Drifters

I am fucking tearing my hair out trying to upgrade to Windows 10 from the Technical Preview I've been using. (Build 10061)

I am now at the point where the license is expired and the thing is shutting down every two hours outside of my control.
And I desperately want to upgrade. I have a legit Windows 7 key that is not recognized on the official website and every 'helpful' page on the Windows website is fucking sending me in circles.

I can't go back to W7 because it doesn't recognize the key.
I can't upgrade from the TP to the final release through windows update because windows update gives me the 0x80248014 error.
I can't upgrade through the upgrade tool because it doesn't recognize my key.
Even fucking basic settings windows just crash repeatedly.

What the actual fuck. Anyone have an idea on how I can go back to W7 and just follow the legit upgrade path from W7 Sp1 to W10? Thishttps://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows7 website just rejects the key so I can't even get the .iso.

Help me out, GAF, you're my only hope.

I ran into the same thing during the tech preview. What you'll need to do is burn the ISO to a USB key and run setup from the USB key. That was the only way I could get around not being to upgrade since I had the same exact error.

Anyone else having problems where apps are unresponsive after being in the background? I'll minimize ESPN or News, then come back later and have to close the apps down and restart them.

Happens all the time for me. It's worse with videos, whenever I'm watching something and have to pause to do something else in another app when I get back it's frozen.

Edit: I'm on build 10547, and only really noticed it in this build, so it could be just a bug in this build.

New calculator formats numbers with commas which alone means I would never use the old one.

I almost never see the splash screen on the new one btw, and if I do it's only for a split second.

Really let down by this "skype experience" I can't even select contacts from the people app and call them, nor use the phone app to actually dial a number. All it gives me is the choice of calling skype contacts, which is not remotely as useful.

And there's no shred of a sign that will be able to connect to your phone in any way, for things like accepting calls from your pc, or answering sms texts from there too.

Really let down by this "skype experience" I can't even select contacts from the people app and call them, nor use the phone app to actually dial a number. All it gives me is the choice of calling skype contacts, which is not remotely as useful.

And there's no shred of a sign that will be able to connect to your phone in any way, for things like accepting calls from your pc, or answering sms texts from there too.

It seems like a very early release. I'd give it some time.

wwm0nkey

For those with the new build, have they finally added back in the option to change the app install location? Please tell me they have!

It seems like a very early release. I'd give it some time.

Oh, you are right, I ranted because from what I remembered from the blog post I though they said it was feature complete but some bugs were expected, but I just checked, and they do mention that is early and thus missing features too.

For those with the new build, have they finally added back in the option to change the app install location? Please tell me they have!

They have :D

Edit, I don't have an sdcard attached to say for sure, but the options are there and accessible, but it only shows This Pc for me.

I like that are finally allowing to check up for Skype contacts using the phone number.

It's probably late to catch WhatsApp now, but I hope it gets enough traction, as Skype can be installed and messages are synced between devices unlike WhatsApp that has to be on the phone and even the web app depends on it.

zou

New calculator formats numbers with commas which alone means I would never use the old one.

I almost never see the splash screen on the new one btw, and if I do it's only for a split second.

it's like people never actually used the old one. that feature is 1 click away in win 7.

nbcjr

When I hibernate my Dell notebook, Windows does hibernate , but it stays on. I have to manually hold power button for it to (cut power) . Any help?

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
love this OS so far. installed my new PC couple days ago and finally getting to play around.

did not realise I would need to learn where so many things are though. still keep going back to the 'classic' management stuff instead of the new dumbed down options, which I have trouble navigating.

word of warning. be careful if you remove hyper V. my experience was

1. install hyper-v. Learn that you need voodoo skills if you want to attach usb to a VM
2. uninstall hyper-v
3. reboot
4. no more access to my NAS.

I came pretty close to doing a 'reset' of the OS. I eventually found 2 hidden devices that didn't get removed with Hyper-V, the network interfaces were still there. deleted those AND my actual network card and drivers and reinstalled my NIC. Now I have my NAS back.

and happily running vmworkstation 11 to get my ubuntu needs met.

Every time a new build arrives edge changes to the default app for opening pdfs.

Currently Edge doesn't even support annotating on pdf files, let alone using a browser to open them sucks, so please stop bothering me to use it.

Top Bottom