• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 10 |OT| Something Happened? Something Happened.

I keep having issues where updates take too long to download and they take too long to install or always fail. Has there been any fixes for this?

Mr_Zombie

l
did not realise I would need to learn where so many things are though. still keep going back to the 'classic' management stuff instead of the new dumbed down options, which I have trouble navigating.

You can always use the search option. At least in English version of the system I can easily go straight to the option just by typing what I want in the search bar. It doesn't work so well in Polish version, though; I tried searching for screen orientation option on my dad's laptop - tired of typing various keywords related to the topic I eventually found the option manually :/

kami_sama

Every time I boot, there's a notification telling me there's some apps that slow down my startup. I have an ssd so it doesn't matter at all. Is there any way to disable that notification?

So my photos app is busted. Wont open and I cant find a way to remove and reinstall it.

If I cant fix it, thats fine. I would like an alternative though. Something like the old Windows 7 photo viewer.

The only requisite is that it should open super fast and close fast. Dont need to have editing, cropping or any other capabilities. Just something that can open pictures and preview them.

MSPaint can kinda do that but it opens pictures a little wierd, zoomed in and such.

Mr_Zombie

The old Windows Photo Viewer should still be included in the system. At least it is on both my machines: one with the Insider Preview and one with Win10 upgraded from Win7. Weird thing is, Photo Viewer doesn't come up on the result list when you search for it; but if you right-click on an image file and select the "Open With", it should be on the list of programs.

Syriel

Now, if only Microsoft would fix the issues with the Guest user in Windows 10... That's my one real big pet peeve with the new OS.

I'm sorry this is more than likely totally off topic, but I wasn't sure if I should make a whole new thread about these questions or not but they're sorta about windows 10.

About a month back my sister asked to borrow my Windows 7 disc so she could upgrade from, if I remember right, an unregistered version of Windows XP, so she could then upgrade to Windows 10. This just sounds odd to me but whatever, she informs me she can use it unregistered, I wasn't about to argue with her. So, she brought it up again this week and I gave the disc to my mother to give to her.

Tonight, my mother calls and tells me my sister needs my product key for Win7... the key I'm already using. Now maybe I don't fully understand this registration thing, but I'm already using the key so what purpose would using my key have? I told her I wasn't gonna give my key to her and my sister threw a huge fit, mind you she is 45 years old... anyway.

Am I wrong in thinking something ain't quite right with this scenario? So, if I wanted to buy a copy of Windows for her either 7/8 to upgrade to windows 10 or 10 itself, to stop her bugging me, since apparently she can has 15k for a 2015 car but no money for Windows, what would be the best way to do that? I see OEM discs on Amazon for 7, I don't remember what that is since I have a full retail release of 7.

So, pretend she has no OS to upgrade from, what should I buy for her to finally end up on Windows 10, preferably whatever the cheapest route is, though she is probably computer illiterate more than I could be, so would need some information to come with the purchase.

Any help with this situation would be appreciated.

The Windows 7 key becomes the Windows 10 key. If you give your sister your Windows 7 key and she installs Windows 10 with it, then her PC will become the registered "owner" of that key so to speak. You will no longer be able to use that key for Windows 7 (should you need to reinstall) and you will not be able to use it to upgrade to Windows 10.

Your sister can buy a Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 license and use that key to make her copy of Windows 10 legit.

I am fucking tearing my hair out trying to upgrade to Windows 10 from the Technical Preview I've been using. (Build 10061)

I am now at the point where the license is expired and the thing is shutting down every two hours outside of my control.
And I desperately want to upgrade. I have a legit Windows 7 key that is not recognized on the official website and every 'helpful' page on the Windows website is fucking sending me in circles.

I can't go back to W7 because it doesn't recognize the key.
I can't upgrade from the TP to the final release through windows update because windows update gives me the 0x80248014 error.
I can't upgrade through the upgrade tool because it doesn't recognize my key.
Even fucking basic settings windows just crash repeatedly.

What the actual fuck. Anyone have an idea on how I can go back to W7 and just follow the legit upgrade path from W7 Sp1 to W10? Thishttps://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows7 website just rejects the key so I can't even get the .iso.

Help me out, GAF, you're my only hope.

Where did you get your Windows 7 key?

If it wasn't a retail or OEM key, it may not be legit.

If it was from an online reseller, Reddit reseller, MSDN, TechNet, Dreamspark, or a corporate key, there is a good chance that the seller had no right to sell it and the key was invalidated.

If you have the original CoA with the key on it, you should be able to get MS tech support to help you out.

If you bought this for cheap from an online reseller, you were very likely scammed. Yes, the key may have worked in the past, but MS regularly disables keys that were resold illegitimately and in violation of the license.

There was even someone here on GAF in the BST thread who was banned for selling illegitimate keys that were getting deactivated after 6 months or so.

So what's the consensus now? I mainly game, wow hots, and steam. Is this going to be better or worse? I have a pretty beefy system but I"m also really happy with windows 7 so any opinions out there for upgrading?

So what's the consensus now? I mainly game, wow hots, and steam. Is this going to be better or worse? I have a pretty beefy system but I"m also really happy with windows 7 so any opinions out there for upgrading?
It's a much better than 7, with better performance, and tons of new features.

The current preview went back to being a little unstable (mostly edge, but other apps are crashing a bit for me too), but they are now also adding features and UI updates that make even better to use.

If you want to wait, wait until the first big update, it'll make the OS very round

ThisOne

Haven't really read through the thread so I'm not sure if this is a common issue but has anyone had slow internet since switching to Windows 10? I'm using Google Chrome and some pages/videos are extremely slow to load now. Usually if it gets hung up, I will just click Refresh and it will load almost immediately. Is this a known Windows 10 issue or is something else going on maybe?

It's a much better than 7, with better performance, and tons of new features.

The current preview went back to being a little unstable (mostly edge, but other apps are crashing a bit for me too), but they are now also adding features and UI updates that make even better to use.

If you want to wait, wait until the first big update, it'll make the OS very round

I'd say 7 is better still for gamers especially. Some games run worse on W10 compared to windows 7.

clav

Hold off.

Wait for TH2 (eta December).

clav

what is TH2?

Threshold 2.

Codename for the next Windows 10 update. Also the path that the Insider program is in right now for both PCs and Xbox Ones.

Current "stable" build is on Threshold 1 (TH1).

I'd imagine everyone will go through the upgrade process again when it ships.

Good news is the latest TH2 build takes keys from 7 to 8 to 10. No more upgrade dancing.

M3d10n

White titlebar text. Fucking finally.

Xk5q2Fk.png

Also, the memory management in 10 is goddamn solid. It survived high-stress situations that would force me to restart a 7 or even 8.1 PC with mechanical HDD.

Despera

Banned
So my MSI GT80 notebook started freaking out with the most recent nVidia driver updates (random system freezes and display driver issues). I guess I'll roll back a few updates to fix this.

Aside from that, W10's been great, especially gaming-wise.

Majine

Banned
I'm jumping back into PC gaming this month after about 10 years of OSX. Is it absolutely necessary to have Antivirus software on Windows 10 or are we finally past that?

I'm jumping back into PC gaming this month after about 10 years of OSX. Is it absolutely necessary to have Antivirus software on Windows 10 or are we finally past that?

Honestly, you might want to snag Malwarebytes and do a semi-regular scan, but other than that? Safe browsing patterns and Windows Defender (or whatever it's called these days, I can never remember) should do fine.

RS4-

Anyone having weird issues with multi monitor setups?

I don't know if it's an update that was pushed or my 970 being weird, but ever since I moved to a new case, my second monitor would randomly stop getting a signal.

I haven't actually caught it doing so, I only notice it when I turn it on when I need to. But I do know that it works because I checked the past two days after booting up.

edit - weird, I forced the monitor to be detected via Nvidia Control Panel > Set up multiple displays > my display is not shown...

Mail App now crashes. I open it, it shows my accounts, I touch one, CRASH. I try again and touch settings, CRASH. Crash crash crash.

Also, touching the microphone to get Cortana is super slow, it takes 10 seconds to load her up.

Surface Pro 3 i5 :(

Threshold 2.

Codename for the next Windows 10 update. Also the path that the Insider program is in right now for both PCs and Xbox Ones.

Current "stable" build is on Threshold 1 (TH1).

I'd imagine everyone will go through the upgrade process again when it ships.

Good news is the latest TH2 build takes keys from 7 to 8 to 10. No more upgrade dancing.

Wait, "regular" windows 10 users aren't getting the updates that us insiders are currently getting and will when TH2 hits? Is that what you mean?

Also, the memory management in 10 is goddamn solid. It survived high-stress situations that would force me to restart a 7 or even 8.1 PC with mechanical HDD.

Yea it makes a nice difference, btw isn't it weird that the top right corner X is not highlighted red by default? I wonder if they forgot or intended to leave it that way. Kind of weird.

clav

Wait, "regular" windows 10 users aren't getting the updates that us insiders are currently getting and will when TH2 hits? Is that what you mean?

Right.

Insider builds are less stable than the TH1 track, but we're seeing a lot of refined improvements in the overall experience.

I feel TH1 builds are half-baked. We keep getting cumulative updates that don't describe much.

Heroes of the Storm has a problem (don't know still) that it can't utilize CPU cores correctly, so the game doesn't run without forcing Windows to use dual cores (through msconfig).

Also Nvidia was very late to the game in providing decent drivers in contrast to AMD's 7000 lineup and onwards. The betas fried two Nvidia cards for me.

I usually suggest for people who are currently satisfied have no need to upgrade ASAP. As Microsoft continues to refine its waterfall development cycle, we will see bigger improvements and stability.

Mr_Zombie

Any idea how I do that?

If you're installing the OS for the first time, where it's time to provide user information, there should be an option "I don't have Microsoft account" and then something like "I don't want to register" or "I want to register later".

If you want to add a local user in already installed system, go to Settings -> Accounts -> Family and other users (or something like that, I have a Polish version of the OS so that's my rough translation). There you have to add a new account, select "I don't have login information for this person", and then "Add user without Microsoft account".

Been having this rare but annoying issue. Every so often the start button stops doing anything. I click it, but nothing happens, no menu appears and I basically have to control-alt-delete and sign out then back in again in order to resolve it. This was an upgrade from 8 done on like day one of the release. It's fairly rare, like maybe once every week or two, but highly aggravating since I basically have to shut everything down to resolve it.

purdobol

Been having this rare but annoying issue. Every so often the start button stops doing anything. I click it, but nothing happens, no menu appears and I basically have to control-alt-delete and sign out then back in again in order to resolve it. This was an upgrade from 8 done on like day one of the release. It's fairly rare, like maybe once every week or two, but highly aggravating since I basically have to shut everything down to resolve it.

"Reset this PC" option fixed all weird hiccups and glitches that Win 10 had after upgrading from win 7. So if you don't mind reinstalling all applications again it's a good way to have clean system.

"Reset this PC" option fixed all weird hiccups and glitches that Win 10 had after upgrading from win 7. So if you don't mind reinstalling all applications again it's a good way to have clean system.
I may consider that when I get a new primary drive, been considering upgrading my main ssd to something much larger. I'll probably clone my existing setup and make sure everything's happy, then do a full reset.

Ruruja

Yeah I have the same issue, have to restart my PC to fix it. That and the 'Start Menu and Cortana' critical error upon startup are the only 2 issues I have with Windows 10.

I had my upgrade reserved and ready to go but my PC died.

If I buy a new PC that has Windows 7 on it, could I still upgrade for free? Or do most new PCs come with Windows 10 nowadays anyway?

FyreWulff

Dear Windows Team programmers:

Please take into consideration any set alarms when you trigger AFK windows updates. Your lovely auto updates started right before an alarm was set to go off, and expected result occurred.

see5harp

I had my upgrade reserved and ready to go but my PC died.

If I buy a new PC that has Windows 7 on it, could I still upgrade for free? Or do most new PCs come with Windows 10 nowadays anyway?

I doubt you'd be able to get a brand new PC with Windows 7 on it. Even if you're buying something older on clearance it's probably running 8.1. Either way, you should be able to upgrade to Windows 10. Once it's installed which should take no more than a 20 minutes, I would do a fresh install from the settings menu.

Dear Windows Team programmers:

Please take into consideration any set alarms when you trigger AFK windows updates. Your lovely auto updates started right before an alarm was set to go off, and expected result occurred.

You missed your wedding?

I doubt you'd be able to get a brand new PC with Windows 7 on it. Even if you're buying something older on clearance it's probably running 8.1. Either way, you should be able to upgrade to Windows 10. Once it's installed which should take no more than a 20 minutes, I would do a fresh install from the settings menu.

Thanks guys. I actually meant Windows 8.1 haha

Klocker

So to anyone using the preview builds... are they pretty rock solid for everyday use in general or riddled with bugs to report?

Thx

Mr_Zombie

On my home computer I'm on the fast ring.I don't recall having any major problems - they are pretty stable. If there are any serious bugs, they are usually reported in the release note. For example current build has this listed as major known issue:
The search box does not work if you are in a locale where Cortana is not available. We are currently investigating workarounds.

Other than that, there might be some graphical glitches (e.g. a glitch with colored labels on Add device window).

If you're worried about major bugs, you can always try the slow ring. A build is moved to the slow build after being in the fast ring for few weeks, so all major bugs that might happen are already fixed there.

Klocker

Cool thanks. Think I will give it a go on my S3 before moving to main PC which is critical. Maybe fast ring on S3 and slow in PC.

I have an issue with my hdd. My hdd holds up to 465 gigs and it says that I've used 389 of those gigs. There's no way. So, as I type storage into the search button and view my laptops storage usage, it states that I've used up 62 gigs for "system and reserved" and 60 gigs for "apps and games." Those check out to be okay. In the "Other" category, it says I've used 270 gigs! When I click on the Others category, it shows that I've used 110 gigs for Google Drive which is correct. But it seems the remaining almost 160 other gigs is totally unaccounted for. The Hell? Why is that? If anyone can help, I'd really appreciate it.

Easy_D

never left the stone age

*How* I need accent colour in my titlebar but all the solutions I've found keep the text black in the titlebar and the taskbar.

Random17

I am fucking tearing my hair out trying to upgrade to Windows 10 from the Technical Preview I've been using. (Build 10061)

I am now at the point where the license is expired and the thing is shutting down every two hours outside of my control.
And I desperately want to upgrade. I have a legit Windows 7 key that is not recognized on the official website and every 'helpful' page on the Windows website is fucking sending me in circles.

I can't go back to W7 because it doesn't recognize the key.
I can't upgrade from the TP to the final release through windows update because windows update gives me the 0x80248014 error.
I can't upgrade through the upgrade tool because it doesn't recognize my key.
Even fucking basic settings windows just crash repeatedly.

What the actual fuck. Anyone have an idea on how I can go back to W7 and just follow the legit upgrade path from W7 Sp1 to W10? Thishttps://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows7 website just rejects the key so I can't even get the .iso.

Help me out, GAF, you're my only hope.

I had a similar problem on 10122, except that I had to go back to Windows 8. I tried everything to fix the problem and ran into the same problems that you did with 10160.

I basically backed up my files, downloaded the Windows 8 media creation thing onto a USB and converted it into an iso essentially, and deleted windows 10 and the harddrive partitions were also emptied. I installed Windows 8 with the key.The above was the only solution that worked.

Top Bottom