• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 10 |OT| Something Happened? Something Happened.

samn

If you have an SSD with a bunch of games and other software on it, or even an HDD with plenty of space (as it will reduce read times) give this compression trick a try

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/37o86k/windows_10_protip_new_transparent_compression/

Navigate to a game's folder, shift and right click on the window of the folder, command line, then paste in

compact /C /S /EXE:XPRESS16K

It halved Cities Skylines, The Witcher 2, Chrome, Microsoft Office, and Photoshop, saved 2GB on Deus Ex HR, saved 1GB on GTA 5, though it made no difference to MGS 5, Dawn of War 2 Retribution, or Tomb Raider, as those games are already highly compressed.

Do not try that command on the Windows folder. Instead save 2GB from the Windows install using this

http://www.windowscentral.com/how-reduce-windows-10-footprint

I haven't noticed any impact on performance, and overall I've saved 20GB of precious space on my SSD.

Mr_Zombie

So it seems extesions will only arrive to Edge on Redstone, on summer 2016.

http://www.winbeta.org/news/windows-10-extensions-for-edge-to-arrive-with-redstone-in-2016

So, Microsoft decided to kill Edge after all?

Seriously, releasing a browser without a plugin support in this day and age is just insane (I'm looking at you, Vivaldi; you still have time). How does Microsoft wants to build Edge userbase, to convince FF and Chrome users, if the browser doesn't support extensions, hence missing a lot of functionality.

You still can't?

Nope. And right now nothing indicates the feature to return anytime soon. Which is ridiculous, because non-important updates (graphics card drivers) should be optional.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.

Seriously, releasing a browser without a plugin support in this day and age is just insane (I'm looking at you, Vivaldi; you still have time). How does Microsoft wants to build Edge userbase, to convince FF and Chrome users, if the browser doesn't support extensions, hence missing a lot of functionality.

Nope. And right now nothing indicates the feature to return anytime soon. Which is ridiculous, because non-important updates (graphics card drivers) should be optional.

Incredibly stupid. Remember how they first showed Edge and their USP was how you can simply use every Firefox/Chrome plugin with it? Right now Edge has zero functionality (its touch controls are years behind what IE Metro delivered). You can build a more functional browser by yourself within a couple of hours in Visual Studio. Yes, it won't be as fast but Edge will most likely not be fast anymore if they add useful stuff. It seems more and more that they could only launch Windows 10 in time by rolling everything back to the most basic functions. I mean their mail client still won't let you delete whole directories (or create new ones or delete mails in a folder). It took them two months to release an update that actually allowed you to delete more than one mail at a time.

Yeah, I could give it a pass for late this year, but not having extension support until probably September last year is insane.

Not to mention that edge is still very unstable, resource hungry, and barren of features compared to others not even taking into account the extensions.

Quixzlizx

I recently bought a Surface Pro 3, and it arrived last night. While doing the initial setup, I was asked whether I wanted to upgrade to Windows 10, and I said yes. It said that W10 would download in the background. However, I never got prompted last night, and still nothing tonight, over 24 hours later. There's no "Get Windows 10" icon in my taskbar, either. Now what?

Besides one minor issue, I think Windows 10 is amazing. It is incredible the difference it makes on older laptops. In my experience, it can take them from basically unusable to lightning fast. I like it.

My issue however, relates to the desktop. Multiple monitors to be precise. If I wish to watch something fullscreen on one (Twitch stream, YouTube video, etc) on the other monitor the mouse constantly flickers. It can still be used, but it is super frustrating trying to click things when the mouse cursor is going in and out of existence. I've posted about it in the Windows Feedback App. Is that the best place to bring Microsoft's attention to it?

chiliboy

Hey gaf,

Gonna upgrade to win10 on my girlfriends laptop this weekend to test it out before I upgrade my gaming pc and own laptop.

Any essential tweaking to do after installation?
Privacy options etc?
SSD tweaking?

PaulLFC

Besides one minor issue, I think Windows 10 is amazing. It is incredible the difference it makes on older laptops. In my experience, it can take them from basically unusable to lightning fast. I like it.

My issue however, relates to the desktop. Multiple monitors to be precise. If I wish to watch something fullscreen on one (Twitch stream, YouTube video, etc) on the other monitor the mouse constantly flickers. It can still be used, but it is super frustrating trying to click things when the mouse cursor is going in and out of existence. I've posted about it in the Windows Feedback App. Is that the best place to bring Microsoft's attention to it?
I'm having a related issue with multiple monitors, I'm not sure if it's standard Win10 behaviour or because I'm running DisplayFusion so I need to do some more testing.

If I want to drag a window from monitor 1 (left) onto monitor 2 (right), on 8.1 with Displayfusion I could just drag the window as expected, and it'd detect it'd moved to monitor 2. I could get the window from monitor 1 to 2 with one movement of the mouse.

On Win10, it keeps wanting to "snap" to the side of monitor 1 instead of moving to monitor 2. The only way I can get the window to move monitors is to drag it partially so some of its title bar is on monitor 2, then drag the part that's on monitor 2 to make the whole window use that monitor. Really annoying.

I'm having a related issue with multiple monitors, I'm not sure if it's standard Win10 behaviour or because I'm running DisplayFusion so I need to do some more testing.

If I want to drag a window from monitor 1 (left) onto monitor 2 (right), on 8.1 with Displayfusion I could just drag the window as expected, and it'd detect it'd moved to monitor 2. I could get the window from monitor 1 to 2 with one movement of the mouse.

On Win10, it keeps wanting to "snap" to the side of monitor 1 instead of moving to monitor 2. The only way I can get the window to move monitors is to drag it partially so some of its title bar is on monitor 2, then drag the part that's on monitor 2 to make the whole window use that monitor. Really annoying.
You need to fast swipe it when it's near the edge. Well, be fast in general when moving windows between screens. I had the same problem when I first used Windows 10, as previously there was no resistance when moving between monitors.

*If you do not care about the snap feature, you can turn it off in Settings>System>Multitasking and it's the first option. The window behavior between monitors will then be back to "normal".

Windows 10 just decided to install an AMD graphics driver update while TF2 was running.

Doc-Rivers.gif

M3d10n

Odd, my install at home and at work no longer auto updates NVIDIA drivers. I had to manually search for newer drivers a couple weeks ago in the device manager.

danielcw

Odd, my install at home and at work no longer auto updates NVIDIA drivers. I had to manually search for newer drivers a couple weeks ago in the device manager.

Didn't nVidia reduce the frequency of driver updates, unless you use the Geforce Eexperinece software.

Kurtofan

I have had problems with my computer thinking my headphones were always on since quite a while now... I used to circumvent the problem by downgrading my audio driver...

But today I made a terrible mistake. I upgraded to windows 10. now I'm stuck with Realtek HD audio driver and I can't hear anything out of my speakers again. only through headphones.

Can someone tell me how to disable headphone recognition, I have realtek hd audio, but if there's a way to download drivers that let me do what I think should be a feature, please tell me, I hate using headphones :(

So I just discovered I cant open the windows store. I click on it and nothing happens.

I'm trying to download the new xbox app but I can't

PaulLFC

I run 2 monitors side by side - is there any way I can get Aero Snap to stop snapping to the right edge of monitor 1 every time I try and drag a window over to monitor 2? It's immensely irritating.

This never used to happen on Windows 8.1 - it'd let you drag a window from one monitor over to the other without trying to snap it to the edge of the screen - I can see why this functionality is useful for some users, but it should be optional. Not being able to drag windows between monitors without having to drag the window twice is ridiculous.

Ideally I don't want to turn Snap off entirely, although that would be one way to fix things. I just want it to work like Windows 8, where I can maximise or snap to the far edges of both monitors with snap, but it lets you drag windows between monitors.

I did try disabling Snap and going with DisplayFusion's window snapping, but that didn't seem to work at all. I need to have a closer look at its settings to see what's going on.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Edit: I'm a bit of an idiot, seems I just have to drag the window "faster" to get it to not snap. It's still different from how Win8.1 handled it (you could drag at any speed) but if that's not an option then at least there's a usable workaround of sorts.

M3d10n

I run 2 monitors side by side - is there any way I can get Aero Snap to stop snapping to the right edge of monitor 1 every time I try and drag a window over to monitor 2? It's immensely irritating.

This never used to happen on Windows 8.1 - it'd let you drag a window from one monitor over to the other without trying to snap it to the edge of the screen - I can see why this functionality is useful for some users, but it should be optional. Not being able to drag windows between monitors without having to drag the window twice is ridiculous.

Ideally I don't want to turn Snap off entirely, although that would be one way to fix things. I just want it to work like Windows 8, where I can maximise or snap to the far edges of both monitors with snap, but it lets you drag windows between monitors.

I did try disabling Snap and going with DisplayFusion's window snapping, but that didn't seem to work at all. I need to have a closer look at its settings to see what's going on.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Edit: I'm a bit of an idiot, seems I just have to drag the window "faster" to get it to not snap. It's still different from how Win8.1 handled it (you could drag at any speed) but if that's not an option then at least there's a usable workaround of sorts.

They changed it because in w8 it was too hard to snap at the borders between the displays.

Also, win + shift + left/right is way faster to move windows across displays then dragging.

Had to install Windows 10 on a PC I had replaced. I noticed just now that the screen brightness toggle is not in the action center, and the option also in the action screen section of the settings app. How do I add the brightness toggle to the action center? Thanks.

GavinUK86

So I reinstalled Windows 7 the other day and I've finally upgraded to 10 and holy shit what a mess! Nothing works. Edge doesn't load anything. No games run. ctrl+alt+delete just crashes the entire system. WOW. Start menu is full of ads too. So what have I gotta do to install this fresh? Do I download something from the Micro soft site?

danielcw

If you don't mind loosing all your programs, you can go to Settings -> Update & Security -> Recovery and then "Reset this PC".

His post implies, that something is seriously damaged or broken on his end.
Does the built-in reset process actually help there?
Does it scan and repair system files.
If he is willing to reset, he might as well try a clean install with an official .iso

His post implies, that something is seriously damaged or broken on his end.
Does the built-in reset process actually help there?
Does it scan and repair system files.
If he is willing to reset, he might as well try a clean install with an official .iso

"Reset this PC" is basically a fresh installation of the OS. Everything gets wiped.

Mandelbo

I keep getting "Critical Error - Your Start Menu isn't working" whenever I try to open the start menu. Search, action center, network options, volume control and battery options aren't working either, but don't show an error when clicked. I've already tried doing the "sfc /scannow" command in an administrator command prompt window, but that didn't help. Any solutions that you guys know of? Doing a clean install isn't something I want to resort to since it'll be a hassle getting antivirus and cubase back on the laptop.

So does Windows 10 actually scan and repair its files that way?
I mean, there are no copies of the files to check against.

It reinstalls the OS from the recovery partition. There's no scanning and repairing of old files. It boots into the recovery environment, wipes the OS partition and installs a new copy of Windows.

The scanning and repairing part takes place, when you select "refresh this PC".

Mr_Zombie

I keep getting "Critical Error - Your Start Menu isn't working" whenever I try to open the start menu. Search, action center, network options, volume control and battery options aren't working either, but don't show an error when clicked. I've already tried doing the "sfc /scannow" command in an administrator command prompt window, but that didn't help. Any solutions that you guys know of? Doing a clean install isn't something I want to resort to since it'll be a hassle getting antivirus and cubase back on the laptop.

Try the "Reinstall all Windows apps" section from this article:
http://home.bt.com/tech-gadgets/com...g-here-are-four-ways-to-fix-it-11364000314532

danielcw

It reinstalls the OS from the recovery partition.

Ah Okay. I think I learned something new today. I thought recovery partitions only exist through OEMs, but apparently Windows 10 Setup creates them on its own on empty drives.

Anyway, I would still recommend to reinstall from an stretch, after making sure the files on your installation media are undamaged.

But actually I doubt it is the source of the error ...

Hey friends,

So I got a newer, bigger, SSD and I'm planning on cloning my current boot drive, confirming it still loads properly, and then doing a full refresh of Windows 10 to start with a clean slate. Any gotchas I should be aware of other than the obvious "back your shit up" one (already done)?

Edit: it's a Samsung 850 EVO, so I'll be using the cloning tool Samsung provides.

Mandelbo

Reinstalling all windows apps definitely hasn't solved the issue. Maybe something went wrong during the process? I'll give it another go, but it's really ticking me off now.

edit: it didn't work... sfc /scannow doesn't return any corrupted files anymore either.
I'm going to try reverting to a restore point I made yesterday to see if that makes any difference. (<-- that worked!)

Jindrax

So what's the current state of affairs?
Does it work properly? Should one upgrade?
Or should I wait another few months/years.

Mr_Zombie

Overall, the system is good but after using it on few PCs (and seeing my parents using it on their laptops) I can say it can be pretty unstable at times, especially the store apps and modern elements (start menu, notifications, settings etc.). Maybe it's the result of the Windows 7 -> Windows 10 upgrade, but e.g. at my work PC Picture apps automatically closes down few seconds after opening - no matter whether I'm opening a picture, or just starting the app. Today, when I tried to check options in Settings app, in the Updates and Security tab, the app kept closing if I switched a tab while the app was still looking for new updates (it started to work properly after it stopped looking for new updates). At my dad's computer something went wrong few days ago and Start Menu, along with every modern element on the taskbar stopped responding until I reinstalled all modern apps via command line.

Those are little things, but can be pretty annoying. It's a nice system, but for me it's obvious it was rushed to release. If you can, wait for the Fall Update (it is said to be released in November) that will introduce a bunch of security and stability patches and add new features to the system.

Edge in the current build is super solid now, after been really unstable for a couple builds or more. They even managed to fix rendering on some pages!

Jeels

Hey guys, how do I add a guest account to Windows 10? No matter what option I select for a new log in account it asks for an email or to create a microsoft account. I don't want that...I need a guest account for everyone else that will be using my computer...

Mr_Zombie

In Settings: Accounts -> Family & other users -> Add someone else to this PC -> I don't have this person's sign-in information -> Add a user without a Microsoft account.

Yeah, it's stupidly complicated, especially compared to Windows 8 where all you had to do is just add a local account.

Lulu23

Is it normal that one of the svchost.exe services is constantly taking up 20-30% of my CPU while all others are mostly at 0%?

I know that it's an .exe file that runs Windows' services, but I kinda feel like this startend happening recently because I checked the task manager when my fans were louder, the laptop got hotter and the battery drained faster than usually.

Thought of a virus at first, but couldn't find anything.

Top Bottom