• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 10 |OT| Something Happened? Something Happened.

I'd like to set this up with a remote desktop, so I can use my PC somewhere else (secure). I've only messed with this a tiny bit before, what's the best way of doing it? Windows 10 seems to have a built-in functionality, will that be accessible on a Windows 7 system? Will it include audio? (I seem to recall some of my previous attempts did not.)

Gattsu25

Banned
Question about using multiple desktops.

I know there is a shortcut to swap between multiple desktops (WinKey + CTRL + Left/Right) but it switches between desktops on all monitors simultaneously.

Any way you switch the desktop on a single monitor only?

Forsete

What is this annoying freezing that happens with sound every now and then?

It never happened in Windows 7, only Windows 10.

It freezes audio for about 1 second, creating a buzzing sound. Happens on Youtube, VLC, Spotify.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
What is this annoying freezing that happens with sound every now and then?

It never happened in Windows 7, only Windows 10.

It freezes audio for about 1 second, creating a buzzing sound. Happens on Youtube, VLC, Spotify.

Oh, I thought it was only me! Only happens with VLC though I think, and the video freezes too, not just the audio I believe. Nothing major, about 1 second as you said, but it's still puzzling.

Anyone have an answer to this?

It seems that whenever I tile any windows in Win 10 there's always a gap between them. Is there a way to remove the gap? Some setting somewhere?

Forsete

Oh, I thought it was only me! Only happens with VLC though I think, and the video freezes too, not just the audio I believe. Nothing major, about 1 second as you said, but it's still puzzling.

Usually the image doesn't freeze for me, but it might have frozen the image a few times for me, usually I am doing something else than watching the screen when it happens. :/

Not sure what is causing it, I have been using LatencyMon to monitor the computer, and from what it says it is related to my networks card (ndis.sys and tcpip.sys) or the graphics drivers (dxgkrnl.sys - DirectX Graphics Kernel, Microsoft Corporation). But I already have the latest drivers.

Searching yields no answers (many people are reporting the problem but they don't have any solutions). Hopefully that big update in November fixes this, even if it happens only a few times a day for me it is annoying.

dedhead54

I just ordered a Surface Book and it will be my first Windows laptop. Excited to see what the OS has to offer. I am going to start reading through this thread.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Usually the image doesn't freeze for me, but it might have frozen the image a few times for me, usually I am doing something else than watching the screen when it happens. :/

Not sure what is causing it, I have been using LatencyMon to monitor the computer, and from what it says it is related to my networks card (ndis.sys and tcpip.sys) or the graphics drivers (dxgkrnl.sys - DirectX Graphics Kernel, Microsoft Corporation). But I already have the latest drivers.

Searching yields no answers (many people are reporting the problem but they don't have any solutions). Hopefully that big update in November fixes this, even if it happens only a few times a day for me it is annoying.

I see. Well, fortunately it's a fairly innocuous glitch.

vazel

Banned
I was having audio problems too. About 1-2 times a day for a fraction of a second my audio would distort or dropout. Not too common a problem but still annoying especially when listening to music. I then went to my motherboard's driver page and downloaded the latest drivers for Win10 and the problem seems to have gone away. Try checking if your motherboard has updated drivers as well.

Faddy

Banned
After a disasterous day one upgrade which caused me to roll bak within hours I took the plunge again.

The good news is that everything is working as it should but not until after some serious troubleshooting with my trackpad. Uninstalling-reinstalling-rolling back, getting multiple error messages, windows forgetting setting. Eventually it worked, not quite as smooth as it was on Win7.

Had some issues with Search/Cortana where it is unresponsive but it seems to be working now.

Windows Store apps look like garbage, the new solitaire collection is complete shit too so I have re-installed the Win7 ones. I have experienced some crashes of new apps as well. It is not good.

All in all it took around 4 hours to get my laptop back to how I wanted it, not including install time. The only thing that is bugging me is the display brightness increments in 10s but my laptop has 15 levels which means it is never accurate.

Jeels

Not sure if this is the appropriate thread but -

I am having an issue where my laptop will not go past the Windows loading icon at bootup. It just goes to black and never gets past it.

When I reboot in repair mode, nothing works, all the system restore points (I have three) give an error. Any of the other tools available also given an error.

Is there a way I can fix this without deleting all my files? If it isn't recoverable, can I recover my files some other way (like taking the hard drive out?) I have years of photos on this laptop that haven't been backed up....

Dobsie

Was having issues since upgrading from w8, laptop kept rebooting on idle and taking forever to restart or shut down. Went thru dells tech support which was useless as we couldn't get the remote connection to work.
Ended up doing the reset windows option which was actually very clever, no install disk or anything needed. Laptop running faultlessly now, just wish Google would sort out the trackpad scrolling in chrome so its like ie/edge.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Does anyone know how to set the mobile or iPad user agents as the default user agent on MS Edge? If not, is there any other touch friendly browser that will allow me to do so?

I wanna use Edge as my main browser in tablet mode, but I found that navigating the full desktop versions of websites(like GAF) is a pain in the ass on the touch screen. Browsing the mobile, touch friendly versions of websites is so much better in tablet mode. I can change the user agent in Edge, but I have to do it everytime I open up the web browser after closing it.

Whogie

Windows update just replaced my GTX 970's 358.50 drivers with 354.35. I googled "nvidia 354.35" and all I see is stuff about Quadro.

Driver date is 10/14/2015, whereas 358.50 released on the 7th; so it's a newer version with an older version number. Not sure what's going on and I can't find anyone talking about it.

So I upgraded my SSD to a bigger one, cloning using the manufacturer's tool (Samsung 850 EVO). That worked swimmingly, so I decided to do a full OS reset. The only hinky bit was that the restore environment wasn't enabled for some reason. One quick command line command later and it was re-enabled, and I was able to do a reset without any drama.

Things appear to be much smoother than before when I had just done the upgrade. I had very few issues with the upgrade mind you, but this was mostly out of curiosity to see how the reset process would work, and it works really well.

Most of the apps I use are cloud-ish anyway (Steam (library on separate SSD), Adobe, etc.) so reinstalling things was a cinch.

The main reason for upgrading was I had most of my programs installed on a separate physical disk (non-SSD) so boot times and whatnot were a tad sluggish. Getting a bigger SSD to boot from lets me reinstall programs on that drive again, which obviously is a massive step up in terms of speed.

Really digging Win10.

Jzero

I haven't reset my computer since the Windows 8.1 betas so i thought it was time. Feels good so far but i hope it's as good as a clean install.

bkw

Figured this is as good a place as any to ask.

I have Windows 10 Preview (?) on my laptop, which I installed earlier this year when they had their consumer preview. The laptop originally runs XP, so I can't get the update. So now I want to format the drive and start fresh. Will I still be able to setup Windows 10 on the same consumer preview license? Probably not?

Another question. If I buy Windows 10 Home retail now and install it on the laptop. I should be able to deactivate it later (and restore XP), then put Windows 10 on say, a new desktop build. That correct?

I just got W10, and I cannot figure out how to enable transparent windows like I had in W7...

what am I missing?

Also - what free security app are most of you guys using? Is Windows Defender sufficient?

Jzero

I just got W10, and I cannot figure out how to enable transparent windows like I had in W7...
what am I missing?
Also - what free security app are most of you guys using? Is Windows Defender sufficient?

1. You don't
2. Windows defender + monthly Malwarebytes scan.

Figured this is as good a place as any to ask.

I have Windows 10 Preview (?) on my laptop, which I installed earlier this year when they had their consumer preview. The laptop originally runs XP, so I can't get the update. So now I want to format the drive and start fresh. Will I still be able to setup Windows 10 on the same consumer preview license? Probably not?

Another question. If I buy Windows 10 Home retail now and install it on the laptop. I should be able to deactivate it later (and restore XP), then put Windows 10 on say, a new desktop build. That correct?
The preview should have updated you to the full version.

Need to find a way to get Windows 8.1 back on my HP Stream 7. I've barely touched the thing since I upgraded it to 10 because of how sluggish and non-touch friendly it became. Too bad I wiped the backup because it took up all my hard drive space.

Love 10 on my laptop and PC, but on my Stream it just doesn't work. Little thing wasn't made for it.

Help! I just upgraded today on my MacBook Pro. Everything is working except for the top row of buttons (brightness, volume etc) that are also the function buttons. (They are working as function buttons, but not those other things even when I press the fn button at the same time.) Has anyone else run into this issue? Do I need to download a new set of drivers or something from Apple?

Lulu23

Any experience in updating a Lenovo Laptop? Should I do an upgrade and then a reset? The crapware is kinda obnoxious.

Well, yeah. You have to do the upgrade to have your key become a W10 one.
Just use the Media Creation Tool from Microsoft to do a fresh install of W10 afterwards.
Make sure to format the partition Windows was installed on, but not the others since those are where it will pull the drivers from for any Lenovo related features (not the crapware though, at least in my case).

derFeef

Well, yeah. You have to do the upgrade to have your key become a W10 one.
Just use the Media Creation Tool from Microsoft to do a fresh install of W10 afterwards.
Make sure to format the partition Windows was installed on, but not the others since those are where it will pull the drivers from for any Lenovo related features (not the crapware though, at least in my case).

Okay thanks. Did you get rid of the crapware? Is it even possible?

derFeef

Pretty sure the crapware is Lenovos.

I know but I want the notebook to run without this stuff and want to know if it's possible. A lot of the NB's features are only accessible via the Lenovo Software currently on W7. Like wifi, pad, trackpoint etc.

Lulu23

I know but I want the notebook to run without this stuff and want to know if it's possible. A lot of the NB's features are only accessible via the Lenovo Software currently on W7. Like wifi, pad, trackpoint etc.

Well, I can only speak for the Yoga 2 13, but reinstalling Windows (after upgrading to 10 because of the key) will leave you with no crapware. I could download all drivers that weren't already pulled from Lenovo's partition from their website without installing any crapware.

Knight77

I have W10 pro on my HTPC now I bought a new CPU and MB and I need to format e reinstall W10, question is... what should I do? I mean how the activation would work ? I also remember that direct install was not possible when I upgraded from W8.1 to 10, is it changed now?

Thaaanks !

Jzero

The preview is updated, but what happens when I reinstall? What key do I activate with?

You don't need to reinstall. When the preview updates to full Windows 10 all you have to do is a reset, it works as well as a clean install.

Rootbeer

Banned
Threshold 2 is tomorrow for non insiders supposedly?

Gonna be a big day. I have to download Threshold 2 *AND* Fallout 4 from Steam, joy!

Some updates plus a cumulative one just popped up on my Windows Update. Probably not TH2 but who knows.

The cumulative one is taking a while to download, this might be it after all.

clav

Some updates plus a cumulative one just popped up on my Windows Update. Probably not TH2 but who knows.

The cumulative one is taking a while to download, this might be it after all.

Generally cumulative updates analyze your current system state by using your CPU, so it takes longer.

This is not TH2.

clav

Update is live in Windows Update.

edit: Failed and then disappeared on one setup.

Now, the device is up to date despite not installing anything.

Top Bottom