• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 10 |OT| Something Happened? Something Happened.

Miker

So I installed the big November update, and by the time I rebooted and everything, Windows had uninstalled some of my programs by itself, without asking, because they were supposedly not compatible with this build. It included stuff like AutoHotKey, Dolphin, and Sumatra PDF reader. And now my Office installation is broken because some .dll file is missing. What the hell.

dLMN8R

So I installed the big November update, and by the time I rebooted and everything, Windows had uninstalled some of my programs by itself, without asking, because they were supposedly not compatible with this build. It included stuff like AutoHotKey, Dolphin, and Sumatra PDF reader. And now my Office installation is broken because some .dll file is missing. What the hell.

If the upgrade will uninstall anything, the UI makes it clear beforehand and gives you a list before you consent to continue the installation.

clav

Not showing up for me yet.

Yea nothing for me yet either.

If the upgrade will uninstall anything, the UI makes it clear beforehand and gives you a list before you consent to continue the installation.

Downloaded the full ISO (nearly 4 GB), and the installer made it clear that I was keeping everything.

Upgrading now.

I'll post results.

Installer unpacked about 700-800 MB onto C drive after running the installer's updater.

edit: Looks like it's doing a whole build upgrade. Most likely will use Windows Update to install other setups rather than the ISO.

Miker

I didn't see any such warning. I just went to Windows Update, it said the new build was available, and I installed it. When I rebooted, my programs were gone.

clav

Over an hour now on the full upgrade install.

Still going.

Our Windows 7/8/8.1 friends are going to complain as it still stalls on percentages. Helps to have a hard drive light indicator.

Nabs

I had to use the Media Creation Tool since the update failed. It took about 20 minutes to install with an SSD.

My DS4 now works with no issue, but I'm still having these new start menu problems. I can't launch folders by typing their location anymore.

Klocker

Update want fine on my surface 3, still waiting for it to appear on my desktop.

Having Cortana integration with my phone is also cool and some editing to reminders in Cortana as well as the color scheme.In folders

haven't had a lot of time to play with it yet, though to see what else is new. Install took awhile but went smoothly.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
I am already on w10. Are you saying you can force threshold this way?

I ran the tool and it went through everything to the point where it was going to install windows 10 over my existing installation
Yup, I did it way and it does reinstall windows, you even get a "Windows.old" folder and the option to rollback to the previous build. Although it likely took longer to install than the update proper would have (plus a couple of restarts), It was seamless, no data loss or changed settings or anything.

Rootbeer

Banned
Okay. Thanks. Going to install TH2 now.

MS is really starting to remind me of Google/Android with these staggered updates... it didn't used to be this way :/

Klocker

Yup, I did it way and it does reinstall windows, you even get a "Windows.old" folder and the option to rollback to the previous build. Although it likely took longer to install than the update proper would have (plus a couple of restarts), It was seamless, no data loss or changed settings or anything.

Ha thanks, yea, I chickened out.. will try tomorrow if it doesn't show.. want to get it going when we I have the time and not in the middle of work

Did not know it would not remove my programs

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Ha thanks, yea, I chickened out.. will try tomorrow if it doesn't show.. want to get it going when we I have the time and not in the middle of work

Did not know it would not remove my programs
The installer let's you choose if you keep your apps and personal files, only your personal files, or none. The first one is the one you want, which is generally preselected, but make sure it actually is before clicking next :p. And FWIW, it has always worked for me, my current install is actually a chain of upgrades done that way (was 7 in 2010, updated to 8 a couple of years ago, then 8.1, then 10240 in August, and now 10586.3) and all programs carried through.

derFeef

So if someone has not upgraded to W10 yet, will TH2 be delivered via Windows update in like WIn 7? I mean the full W10 installation?

So if someone has not upgraded to W10 yet, will TH2 be delivered via Windows update in like WIn 7? I mean the full W10 installation?

Yeah if you haven't upgraded yet, you'll be upgraded to the latest version (TH2) when you do upgrade to 10.

-----------------

TH2 not available for me as of checking right now, strange it's such a wide roll out. No rush, it'll catch it when it does.

Rootbeer

Banned
Using the Media Creation Tool like I just did. Didn't take long to install.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Just wanted to check back in. I used this tool to update my Windows 10 Pro to the new TH2 (or what they call "version 1511 (OS Build 10586.3)"... oh MS, never change)

Took about 20 or 25 minutes all told. But no issues.

Skylake owners on Windows 10 should not miss out on TH2, as it unlocks more features of the processor that required OS support.

Fuck yes, TH2 fixed my one Windows 10 issue. The mouse will no longer flicker in and out of existence when you have a full screen video playing on a second monitor. I am going to watch The Frankfurt Major and browse GAF without tearing my hair out. Thanks the Windows team!

clav

Update went smooth on a cheap laptop from full ISO.

What the heck happened to command line's text?

edit: Tried desktop again. Went smoothly. Main difference was running cleanmgr prior to the upgrade.

Klocker

The installer let's you choose if you keep your apps and personal files, only your personal files, or none. The first one is the one you want, which is generally preselected, but make sure it actually is before clicking next :p. And FWIW, it has always worked for me, my current install is actually a chain of upgrades done that way (was 7 in 2010, updated to 8 a couple of years ago, then 8.1, then 10240 in August, and now 10586.3) and all programs carried through.

worked like a charm

thanks

Had a bad experience with this update earlier. Immediately noticed worse performance in Fallout 4, so I reinstalled my drivers and fixed the performance that way. Wtf did the update do to my drivers??
10 minutes later and the damn thing BSODs. First W10 BSOD for me in over a year. So I tried the driver reinstallation again (I didn't do anything different from the first reinstall) and was then able to play for several hours with no problems.

Fucking Windows. I doubt I'm in the clear yet.

longdi

Banned
Updated and DTS Connect realtime encoding is working again, finally!

But not liking the right click on the windows icon taskbar, the menu is now all black.

Calculator app still take ages to start despite being on SSD.

It also created a 23GB of temporary system files!

Jzero

The update feels the same. Definitely feels snappier to open metro apps though.
They update a bunch of icons.

Edit: OH GOD FUCK YES, they made resizing on ultra wide monitors so much better. now you just have to pull between windows.

Lagamorph

Ok, so I'm having an issue with the tiles in the start menu. Whenever I decide to add a new tile, if I drag it into the middle of a bunch of other tiles, whilst in Windows 8 the other tiles would just shift along to the left, in Windows 10 it wont do this. It only allows me to move every tile beneath it downwards, so adding a single tile leaves me with 2 more blank spots.
So like this,

7dLORn9.jpg

And if you remove a tile from the middle, rather than the others moving back in to fill the gap, you just get left with an empty space.

Does anyone know how to restore the Windows 8/8.1 behaviour of tiles just moving along instead of all going downwards? It's a right ball ache having to re-arrange all my tiles just to add one.

Got it last night again after it failed to download earlier yesterday, Cortana still blows for me in its inability to play my music even though it hears what I'm saying correctly, they didn't fix the location only based on IP issue when there's no GPS as far as I can tell but yay they brought back being able to choose the color of our title bar, didn't realize that at first and thought they just reset it and I lost my coloring. Certain things do feel a bit snappier and shutting down seems quite a bit faster than before.

clav

Had a bad experience with this update earlier. Immediately noticed worse performance in Fallout 4, so I reinstalled my drivers and fixed the performance that way. Wtf did the update do to my drivers??
10 minutes later and the damn thing BSODs. First W10 BSOD for me in over a year. So I tried the driver reinstallation again (I didn't do anything different from the first reinstall) and was then able to play for several hours with no problems.

Fucking Windows. I doubt I'm in the clear yet.

Windows 10's OS upgrade usually reverts to built-in drivers or Windows Update drivers. The system does back up the previous driver, so you can actually easily switch back to the one you were using before through Device Manager. It'll be in there.

I have no problem with Windows Update drivers on an AMD card or old Nvidia card.

You should be OK now.

I have a question, will my drivers be carried over when I upgrade?

Also, will there be a windows.Old folder?

Yes, but they will be backed up. Essentially, you're installing Windows 10 again. Even some of the documentation on there says Windows 8.1 (oops, someone at MS is not checking).

If the OS thinks there's a newer or "better" driver, it will default those out of the box, and you can either reinstall or find the driver in Device Manager. It should be listed in the let me select the driver section.

Updated and DTS Connect realtime encoding is working again, finally!

But not liking the right click on the windows icon taskbar, the menu is now all black.

Calculator app still take ages to start despite being on SSD.

It also created a 23GB of temporary system files!

Clean up with cleanmgr. The temp files are in case the upgrade fails, so you can revert back.

Ok, so I'm having an issue with the tiles in the start menu. Whenever I decide to add a new tile, if I drag it into the middle of a bunch of other tiles, whilst in Windows 8 the other tiles would just shift along to the left, in Windows 10 it wont do this. It only allows me to move every tile beneath it downwards, so adding a single tile leaves me with 2 more blank spots.
So like this,

7dLORn9.jpg

And if you remove a tile from the middle, rather than the others moving back in to fill the gap, you just get left with an empty space.

Does anyone know how to restore the Windows 8/8.1 behaviour of tiles just moving along instead of all going downwards? It's a right ball ache having to re-arrange all my tiles just to add one.

No. You can however restore Windows 8's 4 tile option. Go to Settings -> Personalization -> Show More Tiles.

You might as well turn off the ugly Windows default login screen background while you're in Personalization.

Send feedback if you want that feature back.

CaptainABAB

Can't install TH2 on a Boot-to-VHD Win10 environment :(

I'm gonna have to install it in a new vhdx.

Tired of boot-to-vhd's being 2nd class citizens with Windows 10. It never supported fast or slow ring updates and now this. This will be a pain if these build come out every few months.

I've never had issues installing Win7 service packs or Win8 updates (including 8.1) with boot-to-vhd before.

Top Bottom