• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 10 |OT| Something Happened? Something Happened.

So I'm thinking of finally upgrading my PC from 8.1 to 10 over the weekend. Before I do so I'm going to completely backup my HDD to an external drive, something I've never done before as my PC is really just for gaming.

Are there any other precautions I should take before the upgrade? Do I need to uninstall Nvidia drivers for my GTX 970?

Does steam run well on Windows 10? Do Nvidia drivers for that matter?

Thanks!

Mr_Zombie

Theoretically you shouldn't have to do anything - just click the upgrade button, wait, and enjoy your new system. Windows will install its own nVidia drivers, but you can then update them via GeForce experience.

Steam works fine, just like all games I've tried since I installed first Win10 Insider Preview (well except the bug with MT Framework games on recent Insider Preview versions that I wrote about earlier, but fortunately it's fixable). You might have issues with some of the older programs and/or games (e.g. CorelDraw X4, which my dad uses, has some graphical issues with rendering main menu) but it's hard to tell which ones and what kind of issue before, well, trying them.

If you find that the system doesn't suit you, you can always revert to the previous version of the system within 30 days (unless you clear the system temp data that is).

whitehawk

Banned
GAF!

How do I make W10 apps fullscreen? Like TRUE fullscreen. If I run something like staffpad in fullscreen + tablet mode, the bar at thebottom of the screen is always there. The back button, windows button etc.

I'd love to use that screen real estate, especially since I'm on a SP2. I only have so many vertical pixels.

edit: figured it out, need to make taskbar auto hide. It's not perfect though, since I'd rather the task bar auto hide only in tablet mode, not all the time =/

petran79

Banned
Upgraded Windows 10 on the desktop.
Had to spend 10 hours to make a complete defrag as well, because the defragmented Windows 7 portion was replaced with a messed and fragmeneted cluster of Windows 10. HDD speed was very slow because of this. Erased Windows 7 too. I have W7 on my laptop and I have also an old WinXP partition on the desktop.

OS is around 15-20 % slower than 7 in loading times, even after disabling most redundant services, spyware and indexing options. I have O&O Defrag running in the background to speed things up occasionaly.

Things work fine except that Palemoon, Firefox and Waterfox crash whenever I try to open a downloaded application from their Download Manager. Hope it will be solved in the future. Uninstalled all and am using Chromium.

I'll abstain from upgrading the laptop OS, since things runs fine with Windows 7. Windows 10 will cause the battery life to drain.

Previously I used to compare Linux distros like Ubuntu to Windows 7 and thought that 7 had the edge. But now undoubtely Ubuntu and most Linux distros are much better than Windows 10 in usability, responsiveness, updates and speed. Eg I had to wait for over 40 minutes for 1 simple Windows update to download and install. Not because it was large in size but because download made so many breaks and Windows took ages to install it. In Ubuntu things like that take seconds!

Only advantage Windows 10 have over Ubuntu is stability. It is not so easy to mess over the system. In Ubuntu if you are not carefull and install programms and updates from various PPAs, chances are you'll mess up the system and will have to reinstall everything. Not so in Windows. I've learned quite a few lessons from this...

Mr_Zombie

OS is around 15-20 % slower than 7 in loading times, even after disabling most redundant services, spyware and indexing options.

That's weird. I remember when I first switched from Win7 to Win8 on my old laptop, I saw a huge performance gain. And Windows 10's performance is about the same as Win8.

petran79

Banned
That's weird. I remember when I first switched from Win7 to Win8 on my old laptop, I saw a huge performance gain. And Windows 10's performance is about the same as Win8.

Probably has to do with the fact that I use WindowsFX. It is a desktop fx manager. Also the W10 partition is on the inner Hdd circle, so it is slower than the outer partition of XP and Ubuntu. So adding an extra OS there is not the most ideal.Though Ubuntu has more efficient file system and separate swap file partition

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
So I plugged in an old CRT to play some classics and no matter what game I run, my monitor resets to 85hz. When I exit a game, the desktop is back at 120hz. Yes, I've tried running the games in windowed mode, and I've messed with all possible vsync settings in-game and with nvidia control. Any ideas?

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
What an evening I've had. My PC has been crashing, not booting (other than safe mode) and I couldn't figure it out, I reset which only helped for one reboot, then I did a full format which helped for one reboot, then I noticed Windows bloody 10 was forcibly installing Intel 4000 HD drivers when I have a GTX 970, every time the installation completed my PC froze and wouldn't reboot afterwards. I have no given in and installed the drivers but disabled the device, now my PC is working fine again although I've had to reinstall everything which will take awhile. I even have the option ticked that tells Microsoft NOT to keep my hardware updated via Windows update and they just won't take no for an answer.

I was wondering whether or not I should make the jump from 7. Read some parts of thread. Oh boy, looks like my Win 7 is fine.

Also Microsoft needs to team up with Sony. No seriously. They truly need those stability fixes coming, it seems.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
I was wondering whether or not I should make the jump from 7. Read some parts of thread. Oh boy, looks like my Win 7 is fine.

Also Microsoft needs to team up with Sony. No seriously. They truly need those stability fixes coming, it seems.

Eh, I really like W10 though, apart from a few issues. I love the new window-snapping/adjusting feature.

Pachimari

Guys, I think I have run into a problem, which might be isolated to Google Chrome. I have already tried re-installing it but that didn't help. I also tried cleaning my computer with CCleaner.

The NeoGAF++ extension no longer works. I can't upload images to Imgur. I can't translate currencies on XE Converter.

I don't know if it have anything to do with Flash or HTML5?

I'm really lost and confused right now.

Can anybody help me troubleshoot. I'm worried I'm screwed and don't know what to do.

My PC's been running like crap lately so I figured I would do a Windows 10 reset to try and clean reinstall and start fresh. Problem is the reset froze at 26% (It sat there for 8 hours) so I turned it off and now it just doesn't work. It goes through a boot loop when turned off where it gets to the Motherboard brand image and then a blackscreen and repeats itself. When I try to boot from USB (No CD drive) to do a recovery and start the PC as new it doesn't work saying something like "The reinstall has failed because the partition isn't there" or something like that which it was also doing before I tried reset and originally tried recovery route.

Has anyone had trouble with their VGA ports after updating?

For some reason, it seems like my computer doesn't recognize it anymore. Used to be able to project to a tv, but I just tried to today and it wasn't working.

Doing Windows Key + P and going to duplicate did nothing. Not even an error, it just didn't change anything. My laptop's screen did flash when going back to single laptop monitor but I just can't figure out what's wrong.

Edit: And yes, I've recently updated by graphic card's driver. I found Generic PnP monitor in my device manager, so I assume that's my laptop's monitor. Are the drivers for those supposed to be updated?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Shaking my fists at this OS and my compatibility issues.

My previous attempts and fixing the BSOD issue did not succeed, ended up with another BSOD after a couple days. I ended up fixing it (seemingly? I haven't gotten one in a over a week) by updating my motherboard driver.

Unfortunate, this brought a new issues to the table. Windows is not reading CPU usage correctly, and it's keeping the CPU at 100% frequency.

3RwZ4cb.png

Actual usage is fine via other software, and temps seem fine too. So there are worse problems to have, but this is still irritating.

Another new problem is that every once in a while the PC takes forever to open new files or applications. Anything already open runs fine (except Chrome). Hopefully that's not an issue with one of my SSDs, but I'd imagine if it was it would have sprung up before this.

Keasar

I've been trying to get into the WindowsApps folder because I wanna add Gigantic to my Steam list for quick access, but every attempt I've made on getting into it has failed and it keeps saying I have no access to the folder (a folder on my own computer I am for some reason not allowed to check, thanks Microsoft).

Most guides I have looked into says the same thing that I have to change the owner of the folder but despite putting me as the owner is says I can't access it.

Anyone have any suggestions?

DonMigs85

Anybody else notice that "System and Compressed Memory" eventually grows pretty darn large in task manager? Even when all programs are closed, it stays the same size. Only a restart clears it out again.

Anybody else notice that "System and Compressed Memory" eventually grows pretty darn large in task manager? Even when all programs are closed, it stays the same size. Only a restart clears it out again.

Yeah it's intentional. Automatic memory management, preloading and saving aspects of application in memory basically just to make things faster to load. It will of course get rid of it if you need the memory space for something.

FyreWulff

Yeah it's intentional. Automatic memory management, preloading and saving aspects of application in memory basically just to make things faster to load. It will of course get rid of it if you need the memory space for something.

as steely pointed out, it's supposed to, and it's not "really" using that RAM, just reserving it. it'll give it up if another program needs more RAM.

DonMigs85

as steely pointed out, it's supposed to, and it's not "really" using that RAM, just reserving it. it'll give it up if another program needs more RAM.
Good to know, thanks guys. I just got concerned when task manager said 80% of my 8GB RAM was used without a single app open.

I'm buying a new computer on Tuesday which already has Windows installed from the OEM on the hard drive that comes with it. I want to buy an SSD and have my Windows installation on that instead to make it faster. Does Microsoft allow that and if so, how would I go about doing that?

Thanks for any help!

Jzero

I'm buying a new computer on Tuesday which already has Windows installed from the OEM on the hard drive that comes with it. I want to buy an SSD and have my Windows installation on that instead to make it faster. Does Microsoft allow that and if so, how would I go about doing that?

Thanks for any help!

Yes, you just need to clone the OEM disk to the SSD with Disk Cloning software.

Why can't Windows 10 save my quick access folders in the cloud? That's bullcrap, they store every useless thing in the cloud but not stuff that matters

Reversed

Seems that the Mail and Calendar apps fused into one, but I can't see the unified app even if the store says I already have it installed (there's no "Open" button, which makes it worse!). Moreover, the old apps are still on my Start icons and aren't working.

I'm currently using Outlook, but is there a way to use the new app?

xrnzaaas

Man this system is so annoying sometimes (I'm a desktop user for about a month). After yesterday's (?) update all the associations with photos, audio files and movies were changed to default apps (because of a "problem", yeah right). It was done without asking if I want to do it and in some cases changing back the assocations in the app itself wasn't successful (only worked in the System window). I ended up using the Powershell to delete Photos and Movies & TV apps. Can't do that with Edge, but so far it kept Firefox as my default browser. :/

RedSwirl

So I'm planning to finally upgrade from 7 to 10 sometime soon. I've been using another laptop with 10 installed on it for a few weeks and don't see any downsides compared to 7 (except an issue with how the integrated GPU drivers crash after waking up from sleep mode). I just have some last questions about what's supposed to happen to your stuff when you upgrade to 10.

1. What happens to your files and installed programs when going from 7 to 10? I've already backed up everything important I could think of, but re-installing everything would take a long-ass time.
  2. Are there any well-known games/programs that don't run well on 10?
  3. What happens to files and software installed on drives separate from the OS drive? I currently have the OS and a bunch of software installed on an SSD, Some games and a bunch of other files on an HDD, and some other games on a second SSD.

Sydle

Seems that the Mail and Calendar apps fused into one, but I can't see the unified app even if the store says I already have it installed (there's no "Open" button, which makes it worse!). Moreover, the old apps are still on my Start icons and aren't working.

Mine are both working just fine. Now they need to fuse Wunderlist in there, too, someday.

Everything is updated on your end? I have mine set to automatically check for updates and install them pretty much everywhere.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
So I signed into windows the other day and my user profile was completely wiped. Like everything had gone to its defaults.

I decide it's weird as fuck, so I restart. Everything went back to normal.

What the hell happened?

longdi

Banned
Can anybody help me troubleshoot. I'm worried I'm screwed and don't know what to do.

My PC's been running like crap lately so I figured I would do a Windows 10 reset to try and clean reinstall and start fresh. Problem is the reset froze at 26% (It sat there for 8 hours) so I turned it off and now it just doesn't work. It goes through a boot loop when turned off where it gets to the Motherboard brand image and then a blackscreen and repeats itself. When I try to boot from USB (No CD drive) to do a recovery and start the PC as new it doesn't work saying something like "The reinstall has failed because the partition isn't there" or something like that which it was also doing before I tried reset and originally tried recovery route.

I will just clean install Win10 with these steps

I will follow these steps to get W10 Pro 1151 ISO directly from MS site.

Go this page using IE11, hit F12 and change user agent string to Apple Safari(ipad) found in the emulation tab, and boom you can download the 1151 ISO without needing MS useless and slow upgrade agent.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Create bootable USB stick with Rufus portable exe.
https://rufus.akeo.ie/downloads/rufus-2.6p.exe

If you have W7/8 pro key from your old lap/desktop, then follow these steps to activate using your old keys.
http://www.zdnet.com/article/going-pro-how-to-upgrade-windows-10-home-without-hassles/

Once activated, MS will store your system specs in their server and you can always activate it should you need to reinstall your Windows.

And you can now clean install from your USB3 stick anytime, like the old days, but much faster. :D

They have been a single store entry from the beginning (I guess that's why there's no open button, as it's actually two different apps), no idea on why the individual tiles aren't working though.

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
I've been having a lot of issues with Blue Screen of Death for a while now. They can happen every couple days or maybe just once a week. It's been happening since about November. I thought it was maybe that large update that Windows 10 got then but I'm not sure. I built my PC almost exactly a year ago and it was running fine. It's only the last 4 months or so it has been happening and I haven't managed to sort it out.

It could be my GPU but that's fully updated to 16.1.1 drivers. I might try going back to Catalyst drivers. I also installed 16GB ram so will try putting my old 8GB sticks back in. I have just updated my bios. I've read not to do that unless you are having a lot of issues. I was on version F4 (H97M-D3H) and i've just updated it to F7. I guess a clean install will need to be done too.

Other than that is there any other suggestions on what to try? I can't seem to find any error logs. When I boot into safe mode and go to Device Manager my monitor has a yellow ! mark beside it but it's not like i can update drivers or anything for it.

Orbis

Had some serious problems with Windows 10 on my laptop the last week or so. First of all the Photos app completely broke (some kind of error thrown when opening any photo, forgot what it said), and while trying to fix it I fucked things up further and had to do a system restore (my fault). After that I resigned to the fact that the Photos app was dead for good. Next day it was working normally again. Weird.

Then Windows Update kindly pushed an Intel HD graphics driver update which repeatedly caused the 'display driver stopped responding and has recovered" message. That too has now settled but caused some massive instability including weird black triangles appearing everywhere until reboot.

In more positive news we've deemed Windows 10 LTSB stable enough to start rolling out company wide at work, to replace our existing mix of Windows 7 and 8.1 (we have a number of users on SUSE Enterprise also who will remain as such).

Reversed

I have automatic updates set, but the problem still persists. I'm getting tempted to use the restoration option with personal files kept, but I'm quite lazy with reinstalling programs (again) and adjusting a couple default options.

After the latest update (KB3135173), my PC now has a 15 minute boot time and it seems like there is a memory leak. Task manager shows that 50% of memory (8GB of 16GB) is being used at all times. On the users tab it only shows 644MB being used, but the memory is at 50%.

I think the issue is with virtual ram. After a restart the memory is showing 12% at around 3GB, but less than 500mb are actually being used. The percentage rises and a few hours later it is now back at 50% usage with the performance tab stating 8GB are in use. Current there is only 471mb in use. Here is a picture of what my task manager currently shows
Before this update I had an issue where the taskbar froze after about 6 hours of my PC being on and only started working after restarting by holding down the power button. I have not had this issue though since the update

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Reversed

My PC just automatically updated from Windows 10 to Windows 10. I don't get why and it kinda creeps me out.

There was a big update a couple months ago. I don't know what else it does aside from having a second splasher with a lower framerate and Metro styled options when you right click on Start.

Drifters

Just wrote a brief e-mail to Paul Thurrott about my upcoming tale of talking with Microsoft on what they can do to repair, replace or refund me on my SP3. I'm literally done with it even as I type on it now, I just want the nightmare to be over.

My start menu stopped working entirely. I can't even acess settings since it says "This is not associated to a program."

I don't know what caused this.

UGH

this is pretty useless, not even firefox/chrome open, settings don't open. Only folders and some windows things work (command prompt, task bar and other stuff)

Top Bottom