• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 10 |OT| Something Happened? Something Happened.

Gattsu25

Banned
From the Ars Technica article: http://arstechnica.com/information-...dows-10-preview-with-bash-support-is-out-now/

jnvwDx5.png

Woorloog

Banned
Is it possible to add virtual keyboard icon to action center? (That, or make some kind of touch screen gesture that makes it appear?)

I have a new tablet/laptop hybrid (Asus T100HA). I have set the icon to appear to taskbar... but the problem is, taskbar is not visible when using browser or PDF reader (Sumatra in this case) in fullscreen mode. And without the keyboard, getting rid of the fullscreen mode is awkward. Obviously, i cannot keep the keyboard on screen unless i actually need it.
Opening action center is far quicker than getting taskbar visible easily so that i can open the virtual keyboard.

Or is this one of those "We sure as hell didn't think someone would need this" things?

EDIT Seriously? The only way i can get what i need is to buy Touch Me? For a single fucking thing that should be have a default option in Windows?

EDIT RIght, so Sumatra offers a gesture for removing fullscreen mode but... man, what an omission.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Hey guys, how do I add a guest account to Windows 10? No matter what option I select for a new log in account it asks for an email or to create a microsoft account. I don't want that...I need a guest account for everyone else that will be using my computer...

Unfortunately it was removed and no reason was given. I have a guest coming today and I don't want him having access to everything on my PC. Super frustrating stuff, I had no idea. :(

Mr_Zombie

You can set up a local account, it just requires way too many steps for something that was previously simple "Add local account".

1. Go to Settings -> Accounts -> Family & other users.
2. Select "Add someone else to this PC"
3. Select "I don't have this person's sign-in information"
4. Select "Add a user without a Microsoft account"
5. Fill in the "User name" field and press Next.

In the last step you can provide an e-mail and a password, but you don't have to.

Is it possible to add virtual keyboard icon to action center? (That, or make some kind of touch screen gesture that makes it appear?)

I have a new tablet/laptop hybrid (Asus T100HA). I have set the icon to appear to taskbar... but the problem is, taskbar is not visible when using browser or PDF reader (Sumatra in this case) in fullscreen mode. And without the keyboard, getting rid of the fullscreen mode is awkward. Obviously, i cannot keep the keyboard on screen unless i actually need it.
Opening action center is far quicker than getting taskbar visible easily so that i can open the virtual keyboard.

Or is this one of those "We sure as hell didn't think someone would need this" things?

EDIT Seriously? The only way i can get what i need is to buy Touch Me? For a single fucking thing that should be have a default option in Windows?

EDIT RIght, so Sumatra offers a gesture for removing fullscreen mode but... man, what an omission.
Can't you swipe from bottom to up? That should bring the taskbar.

Edit, unless these are desktop apps, which I think the gesture don't work.

DieH@rd

Banned
I was a Win7 user, and I like to use windwos "the old way", but this recent update changed the way snapped windows work.

I want to get rid off this BLACK LINE that appears when I try to resize snapped windows!

edit - nvm, found it

I was a Win7 user, and I like to use windwos "the old way", but this recent update changed the way snapped windows work.

I want to get rid off this BLACK LINE that appears when I try to resize snapped windows!

edit - nvm, found it
but thats the best thing about windows 10, why would you want to make it a lot harder to resize snapped windows

Mr_Zombie

the new preview build (14328) changed the start menu.
i kinda like it.

start-menu-all-apps.png

The apps list is now always visible on screen (it's put right below the most used apps list) and I kinda dislike it. It's probably a matter of getting used to it, but it makes the start menu look busy now. It might look good on a mobile device, but on a desktop, where a lot of applications still puts folders in start menu with various "Online help", "Updater" etc elements, it looks kind of messy. One thing I like about the change is that it finally puts the shutdown option at the bottom. I always thought it was kind of weird design for the shutdown button to be placed right above "All apps".

I also don't like that now the notification icon is on the rightmost side of the taskbar, to the right of clock. After years of having clock be the last item on the taskbar, it's hard to get used to the change.

idk. i like the all program there. it's just one less click. but then again. i don't even click the all program much. i just type to find it lol.

Pakkidis

Every article I am reading regarding win 10 is from 1 year ago so its hard to get reliable information.

I have a question regarding onedrive on win 10. Is it handled the same way as win 8.1? if I open file explorer will I see onedrive with all my folders?

I only ask this because I read an article saying Microsoft changed how onedrive functions with win 10 but that article is when win 10 was first released.

Every article I am reading regarding win 10 is from 1 year ago so its hard to get reliable information.

I have a question regarding onedrive on win 10. Is it handled the same way as win 8.1? if I open file explorer will I see onedrive with all my folders?

I only ask this because I read an article saying Microsoft changed how onedrive functions with win 10 but that article is when win 10 was first released.

Nothing has changed regarding OneDrive since the launch of Windows 10, so the articles are still accurate. As of now, you have to sync everything.

with Window 8.1, Microsoft had a feature for OneDrive called placeholders. This feature allowed you to keep a very small file on your local machine that showed a thumbnail of the document that was stored in the cloud.

By double-clicking on the placeholder, the file would download to your machine and open as if it were always stored on your local disk. For those who understood the feature, it was fantastic, as you had quick access to all of your cloud content without paying the penalty of storing it locally.

However, it's rumored that in the upcoming Anniversary Update for Windows 10, Microsoft is bringing back the placeholder functionality of OneDrive.

I think it's been delayed again to Redstone 2 next year since they haven't talked about in a while.

But on explorer when you go to details view there's a tab that says Availability. All files are marked as available offline, but i'm not sure how old that is. Perhaps it's there since RTM.

Did Microsoft give a ballpark estimate on when we could receive phone notifications through the action center?

edit: holy crap, build 14328 is crazy

the return of fullscreen apps!

action center gives me an unread count!

I can finally switch audio devices on the fly holy shit I've been wanting this since XP

now if only the Windows store can get better app support

And yet another area Ms screwed themselves by being too fucked up with their release schedules. Dropbox is bringing placeholders files to windows and Mac:

http://www.windowscentral.com/dropb...ss-all-your-files-regardless-hard-drive-space

And they actually wok even better than they did on 8.1, because if you move or rename non synced files the modifications are done directly in the cloud, unlike the old 8.1 client would download the file, change its name or location, and then upload the changes.

Meanwhile Ms can't even get their onedrive universal app to sync files without crashing everytime.

JaggedSac

And yet another area Ms screwed themselves by being too fucked up with their release schedules. Dropbox is bringing placeholders files to windows and Mac:

http://www.windowscentral.com/dropb...ss-all-your-files-regardless-hard-drive-space

And they actually wok even better than they did on 8.1, because if you move or rename non synced files the modifications are done directly in the cloud, unlike the old 8.1 client would download the file, change its name or location, and then upload the changes.

Meanwhile Ms can't even get their onedrive universal app to sync files without crashing everytime.

Yep

Coming from the onedrive uservoice I couldn't agree more. Many popular suggestions are now 2 years old, and we have not even a date for them despite being acknowledged by the team more than a year ago.

It seems they just stopped working these two years, no advance whatsoever.

I supported them when they said they needed to go back to a single engine, remove features for a while, but once they did that what did they do?

red731

So...I am slowly moving from "I don't want to change because it's still working" mentality and need some answers if possible.

My PC has Win 7 on SSD and all the rest is linked to my HDD.
By all the rest I mean that I have my documents/music/pictures/movies set to destination on the HDD.

If I would press the Win 10 install button - will that cause any troubles? Should I be afraid that all my pictures/movies/whatever will be deleted?

Or would it just break the link, those directories would stay as folders and I would relink them again in Win 10?

Also I have restore points disabled, backup disabled - would that NOT create restore point when installing Win 10? Or the install over any OS (7, 8.1,..) does that automaticaly (creation of Win 7 restore point if I would need to go back?)

My system is as stable as PS4 after 10k stability patches.

Thank you

So...I am slowly moving from "I don't want to change because it's still working" mentality and need some answers if possible.

My PC has Win 7 on SSD and all the rest is linked to my HDD.
By all the rest I mean that I have my documents/music/pictures/movies set to destination on the HDD.

If I would press the Win 10 install button - will that cause any troubles? Should I be afraid that all my pictures/movies/whatever will be deleted?

Or would it just break the link, those directories would stay as folders and I would relink them again in Win 10?

Also I have restore points disabled, backup disabled - would that NOT create restore point when installing Win 10? Or the install over any OS (7, 8.1,..) does that automaticaly (creation of Win 7 restore point if I would need to go back?)

My system is as stable as PS4 after 10k stability patches.

Thank you
The upgrade shouldn't erase anything on your system. Not sure about the links though. If anything goes wrong or you just don't like Windows 10 after upgrading they give you a month to go back to Windows 7.

red731

The upgrade shouldn't erase anything on your system. Not sure about the links though. If anything goes wrong or you just don't like Windows 10 after upgrading they give you a month to go back to Windows 7.

Thank you for the reply.
I already upgraded yesterday, some time after I've posted this message.

Everything went smooth as butter. Everything stayed were it was, links remained. Smooth.

Is there anything I need to do before starting the upgrade from 7. I started the process, it got to the "Getting Updates" screen and it was stuck at 0% for a long time...so I just quit it.

maeh2k

Is there anything I need to do before starting the upgrade from 7. I started the process, it got to the "Getting Updates" screen and it was stuck at 0% for a long time...so I just quit it.

I'd just give it more time.

To be on the safe side with any OS upgrade it never hurts to create a backup image first.

Like maeh2k said, always give it more time. Even if it seems like nothing is going on, there is always something that is happening. You might end up screwing things if you abort it improperly.

DieH@rd

Banned
I have weird issue with Windows 10 [always fully updated to latest version]. Since more than a week ago, the following things started happening:

- Windows 10 logon [password] screen hangs for about 15secs before view is switched to Desktop
- clicking on start button or pressing windows button on keyboard brings start menu, but only after more than a second of lag
- when start menu is active, keyboard search is not working [which is frustrating]
- if I activate Cortana button on taskbar, it does not allow me to access keyboard search

My friend recommended me to rebuild search indexes, but that did not help. ~_~

Anyone has suggestions for fixing this?

maeh2k

Does anyone actually use virtual desktops?

From time to time I see the icon in the taskbar and I'm reminded that I have no use for the feature. And if I have no use for it, I suspect 99.9% of users don't either...

derFeef

From time to time I see the icon in the taskbar and I'm reminded that I have no use for the feature. And if I have no use for it, I suspect 99.9% of users don't either...

It's pretty good for production work actually. I only have room for 1 screen at home and it helps having more desktops.

I guess i would use it more if there was a way to create different presets, with the choice of unique shortcuts, pinned apps (both in taskbar, desktop and start menu) for each desktop.

Then you could have a gamer desktop with all your gaming stuff, a work desktop and so on, but without having to manually set them up everytime.

Not sure if this has been covered in this thread but I have an issue with Windows resizing the desktop when the monitor is shut off. I was told its a registry setting that sees an off monitor as no longer connected and therefore changes to a default resolution. If it's a Registry setting is there a way to change it and how would I do that?

i think i have one computer left in the house that needs upgrading. just need to find the wifi dongle for it. (or make an media disc duh)

also should use W10 more. the calendar event under time is cool too.

L.O.R.D

just installed windows 10 from the free upgrade
question,if i want to make clean install i must use another windows 10 key?
i know when you install windows 10 on any PC the key will be saved on the bios.
so if i want to install new version of windows 10 it won't let me? (because that's what happened to me on windows 8)

currently i upgraded to windows 10 pro.

also,i am noticing my laptop fan is acting weird since i upgraded,it's not quiet as it used to be,maybe there is some apps running in the background?

just installed windows 10 from the free upgrade
question,if i want to make clean install i must use another windows 10 key?
i know when you install windows 10 on any PC the key will be saved on the bios.
so if i want to install new version of windows 10 it won't let me? (because that's what happened to me on windows 8)

currently i upgraded to windows 10 pro.

also,i am noticing my laptop fan is acting weird since i upgraded,it's not quiet as it used to be,maybe there is some apps running in the background?
You can perform a clean install by using the media creation tool. It should automatically activate itself after you skip the activation part of the install.

L.O.R.D

It would be the digital entitlement they placed on your system that will activate it. No need to use a different key.

so,if i downloaded the windows 10 pro iso from microsoft site,and convert it to USB.
can i make clean install using the old windows 10 that i got free?

Top Bottom