• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 10 |OT| Something Happened? Something Happened.

No idea why people would not want a free upgrade to their best operating system to date

I've upgraded 5 laptops to W10 now and every one of them had issues with their wireless cards or with sleep. When MS gets their shit together I'll finally upgrade my gaming PC and primary laptop.

Lulu23

I've upgraded 5 laptops to W10 now and every one of them had issues with their wireless cards or with sleep. When MS gets their shit together I'll finally upgrade my gaming PC and primary laptop.

Yeah I had that too. Laptop wouldn't go to sleep anymore, instead the fan kept running until I held the power button to kill it. I found out it was because Intel's latest "Management Engine" driver was causing that.

Why Microsoft decided that it's a good idea to have Windows update all drivers all the time is beyond me.
I do not want Windows to update any drivers by itself ever.
I also don't get why anybody ever would want that, considering drivers don't really need to be updated if they don't misbehave.

So, where's Cortana for Brazil?

Ms promised it would come to insiders in December, but since we are already at Christmas I'm thinking they will miss the date.

I've bought a new laptop and I'm considering upgrading to Windows 10, but the initial hubub about incompatible games gave me pause, what's the current status of that issue?

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
I turned my laptop on last night and it said copying files 1%, then after 3-4 reboots it was done installing Windows 10. Problem is I've had Windows 10 since release day. WTF? At this point I wish I had stayed with Win 7, 10 is like a polished turn. It looks good, but it has some wired behaviors and inconsistencies.

My favorite issues? I have to turn the wireless off and then on again to connect, it will never work after sleep.

Jzero

I turned my laptop on last night and it said copying files 1%, then after 3-4 reboots it was done installing Windows 10. Problem is I've had Windows 10 since release day. WTF? At this point I wish I had stayed with Win 7, 10 is like a polished turn. It looks good, but it has some wired behaviors and inconsistencies.

My favorite issues? I have to turn the wireless off and then on again to connect, it will never work after sleep.

It's installing updates not the whole OS

Pakkidis

I've bought a new laptop and I'm considering upgrading to Windows 10, but the initial hubub about incompatible games gave me pause, what's the current status of that issue?

I too would like an answer to this. I've heard nothing but problems for win 10 so I very hesitant to upgrade it. What are people's impressions so far...

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Figured this might be the place to ask, I'm in the market for a Windows 10 tablet at sub £250, is the Yoga 2 10" my best bet? I can't find anything else that matches it at the price point. You can get some really nice budget ones for £150 and under but with weaker CPUs.

Ok, GAF. I just bought a new laptop, get home, try to get everything installed and set up but I'm having problems. I tried installing Google Chrome, but even as I searched for Google in the Edge screen, it gave me a security warning. I continued to page anyways "(not recommended)", and when I tried to install I get an error that the page isn't safe and that I should close the page immediately. This is Google were talking about, how can this be? It doesn't let me install Google Chrome at all. Then, when I try to set Google as my default search, it says it cannot add that provider. Wtf. It just seems to me that Microsoft is doing all this to sabotage Google products, or am I wrong? What is going on?

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Ok, GAF. I just bought a new laptop, get home, try to get everything installed and set up but I'm having problems. I tried installing Google Chrome, but even as I searched for Google in the Edge screen, it gave me a security warning. I continued to page anyways "(not recommended)", and when I tried to install I get an error that the page isn't safe and that I should close the page immediately. This is Google were talking about, how can this be? It doesn't let me install Google Chrome at all. Then, when I try to set Google as my default search, it says it cannot add that provider. Wtf. It just seems to me that Microsoft is doing all this to sabotage Google products, or am I wrong? What is going on?

That's not normal. I literally did the same thing with and didn't run into a single problem. Dumb question, but have you disabled UAC popups? And are you sure you're at the proper Google Chrome download location? Sometimes Google with populate the top of its search results with sponsored links that will trigger security warnings? Apologies if this is all stuff you've taken care of, but otherwise I don't know what could be triggering it.

That's not normal. I literally did the same thing with and didn't run into a single problem. Dumb question, but have you disabled UAC popups? And are you sure you're at the proper Google Chrome download location? Sometimes Google with populate the top of its search results with sponsored links that will trigger security warnings? Apologies if this is all stuff you've taken care of, but otherwise I don't know what could be triggering it.
I am laughing at myself at how stupid I am, and at how the laptop wasn't able to even get it right in the first place. The date and time were not correct on the laptop, but once I changed it manually I had zero issues. I should've noticed this to begin with, but come on, hehe. I take back my comment about Microsoft sabotage, lol.

Reversed

I'm planning to migrate from HDD to SSD, because the former is getting a slower as time goes by. Is there any way to clone my new drive, or should I get another license and start over with it?

So I updated my home PC with the latest Windows 10 update(already had Win10 installed) and for some reason it looks like it completely re-installed Windows. All my Program Files are gone and there is now a Windows.old folder containing them.

WTF?

Refyref

So I updated my home PC with the latest Windows 10 update(already had Win10 installed) and for some reason it looks like it completely re-installed Windows. All my Program Files are gone and there is now a Windows.old folder containing them.

WTF?

The November update was an entirely new build, which installed itself over the previous one.

Guys, does iTunes make Windows 10 act batshit? I install iTunes and a day or two later Windows becomes unresponsive. WTF? I hit the Windows ribbon and nothing. Hit the windows key, nothing. It's like the OS wont respond. Chrome launches and works though.

My laptop just updated itself and reinstalled all the drivers and shit, I'm a computer noob and was really nervous I lost everything. It just finished and when I plugged in my xbone controller, which I always do, it looks like it reinstalled the drive? Dafuq?

Cru

Have you had any instances of freezing after a certain amount of time? My PC will freeze after about an hour of use and it's strange because I can still move my mouse, but I can't provide any input.

Myself and several others have had discussed it briefly in the troubleshooting thread.

One of pc's just started doing this and it's driving me insane.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Anyone have a recommendation for virtual drive programs on Win10? I need to mount some BIN/CUEs and Daemon Tools Lite isn't cutting it for some reason. When I try to mount the image, I get some error about how Windows can't open the drive and that it may be corrupted, but these images can be opened with other programs (IsoBuster) just fine, and they worked correctly on Win7. Some googling on the issue suggests that the SPTD drivers either don't install correctly or just flat-out don't work right on Win10 for the time being. Not sure what I should be using instead.

WanderingWind

I don't think this is helps me for multi-track discs.

Oh, then ImgBURN should be what you're looking for. If not, you got one hell of a fringe case. One of those two tools should get you there. I can't even think of something they wouldn't cover. If not...sorry I couldn't help more.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
daemontools?

Did you read my first post?

Oh, then ImgBURN should be what you're looking for. If not, you got one hell of a fringe case. One of those two tools should get you there. I can't even think of something they wouldn't cover. If not...sorry I couldn't help more.

ImgBurn just creates/rips images and burns discs, iirc. It's not a virtual drive.

I basically ripped my collection of optical disc games ages ago and would like to play them, mainly. I just need a way to mount them on Win10. It's not rocket science. Or at least it shouldn't be.

DonMigs85

.....I already know how to do that.

When you convert a multi-track image to ISO+WAV format, you still need a CUE sheet to combine and arrange all the tracks. Which means I still need a way to mount the CUE sheet, which leaves me back at square 1.
PowerISO or CueMounter perhaps

WanderingWind

When you convert a multi-track image to ISO+WAV format, you still need a CUE sheet to combine and arrange all the tracks. Which means I still need a way to mount the CUE sheet, which leaves me back at square 1.

.......ok. Have fun figuring it out.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Once Edge gets addon support is it an easy or hard process for devs to port over existing addons? On my desktop Firefox is great but on my lower spec device Edge is around 3x as fast and I'd switch in a heartbeat if it had unlock Origin and Noscript.

Once Edge gets addon support is it an easy or hard process for devs to port over existing addons? On my desktop Firefox is great but on my lower spec device Edge is around 3x as fast and I'd switch in a heartbeat if it had unlock Origin and Noscript.

Supposedly edge extensions are going to support java script and have an api that resembles chrome and firefox a lot, so devs could port their extensions very easily.

Meh. Finally got around to attempting an update. So many problems it's unbelievable. First the system reserved space isn't large enough by default on w7 so it fails and now after a good 1-2 hours the whole update process just gets stuck on 24% (a well documented bug that I can't seem get around yet).

Wish this process was a bit more simple. Some of the suggested fixes are so wild I wonder what a normal user would do.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Supposedly edge extensions are going to support java script and have an api that resembles chrome and firefox a lot, so devs could port their extensions very easily.

That's good to hear, have Microsoft said anything about an ETA?

clav

Meh. Finally got around to attempting an update. So many problems it's unbelievable. First the system reserved space isn't large enough by default on w7 so it fails and now after a good 1-2 hours the whole update process just gets stuck on 24% (a well documented bug that I can't seem get around yet).

Wish this process was a bit more simple. Some of the suggested fixes are so wild I wonder what a normal user would do.

You could attempt a clean install with the latest build.

Upgrade is not required to get to Windows 10 now.

Hopefully in Redstone or soon for people on the Insider builds.

Klocker

Anybody else find snapping broken in tablet mode since the latest update?

Just does not work at all... works in desktop mode however

Burli

Pringo
Hi all, have a bit of a dilemma I hope someone can help with. Essentially my wifi PCI card is borked and I need a new way of connecting my desktop wirelessly, problem is I'm finding it impossible to find any wireless adapters to buy whether they're USB or PCI that are considered a definite to work well with windows 10. I'd buy a new version of my pci adapter that's just died but even that was performing poorly since I'd updated to windows 10. Can anyone reccomend a good reliable pci or usb adapter for wireless? At this rate I'm considering downgrading back to 8.1 just so I can get online..

Any help much appreciated!

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man

You can try WinCDEmu. I used to use it on Windows 7. Haven't needed to use it since then.

Hi all, have a bit of a dilemma I hope someone can help with. Essentially my wifi PCI card is borked and I need a new way of connecting my desktop wirelessly, problem is I'm finding it impossible to find any wireless adapters to buy whether they're USB or PCI that are considered a definite to work well with windows 10. I'd buy a new version of my pci adapter that's just died but even that was performing poorly since I'd updated to windows 10. Can anyone reccomend a good reliable pci or usb adapter for wireless? At this rate I'm considering downgrading back to 8.1 just so I can get online..

Any help much appreciated!
I have a WiFi USB one that works okay. I haven't had any issues with it.

There are a few other recommendations here, but I'm not sure if they're specific to W10.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1163168

Dr.Acula

Banned
http://bgr.com/2016/01/05/microsoft-windows-10-spying-2015-user-data/

On Monday morning, Yusuf Mehdi, Corporate VP of the Windows and Devices Group, revealed that Windows 10 is now active on an astonishing 200 million devices. Its low price of “free” is clearly the primary factor contributing to its rapid growth, but it doesn’t hurt that the software is leaps and bounds more user-friendly than its predecessor.

But in order to illustrate just how popular Windows 10 has become, Microsoft felt the need to share some milestones:

People have spent over 11 billion hours on Windows 10 in December alone.
Over 44.5 billion minutes spent in Microsoft Edge across Windows 10 devices in just the last month.
Over 2.5 billion questions asked of Cortana since launch.
Around 30% more Bing search queries per Windows 10 device vs. prior versions of Windows.
Over 82 billion photos viewed within the Windows 10 Photo app.
Gaming continues to grow on Windows 10 – in 2015, gamers spent over 4 billion hours playing PC games on Windows 10.
Gamers have streamed more than 6.6 million hours of Xbox One games to Windows 10 PCs.

Admittedly, these are interesting statistics. That’s a lot of Xbox One gaming on Windows 10 PCs! But it’s easy to see why Martin Brinkmann of gHacks might find these data points troublesome.

“The statistics indicate that Microsoft may be collecting more data than initially thought,” writes Brinkmann. “While it is unclear what data is exactly collected, it is clear that the company is collecting information about the use of individual applications and programs on Windows at the very least.”

That's not cool :\

nilbog21

Banned
Anyone with a g3258 able to install win10? I've tried everything, only enabling 1 CPU core, installing with ISO, unplugging sata, and all other suggestions posted but nothing works..it just gets to 45% then reverts back to Windows 8. Very annoying

eso76

Great.
Now I'm getting micro stuttering every 10 seconds or so, regardless of what i do.
At first i just noticed sound popping and cracking, but that's because the entire OS suffers from stutters.
I am absolutely positive it wasn't happening before (maybe it started after november update ? around that time anyway)

So I checked what was causing latency issues using LatencyMon, and it appears it's mostly NDIS.sys (huge latency) with dxgkrnl.sys and storahci.sys also lagging at times, but not really causing any noticeable problem.

In other words, my PCI WiFi Asus card drivers appear to be the issue and sure enough, disconnecting from the network or disabling the card it in device manager gets rid of stuttering completely.

I read somewhere power management tends to cause lags, by cutting power to wifi card when it's not being used, but that didn't solve my problem.
I tried reverting to older drivers, but that didn't improve the situation either.

Any idea what could be causing this ?

Malwarebytes found nothing.
Neither did Avast.

nilbog21

Banned
Can you not join the same hoemgroup if you have a computer on Win 8 and one on Win10? I'm having a lot of trouble sharing files between the two computers - is this not possible??

Mr_Zombie

Just a heads up for Capcom's fans. There's something in the Preview Build 11082 (released on 16.12) that crashes Capcom's games that run on MT Framework. Specifically, whenever a FMV should play, the screen turns black and the game hangs, at least partially - games I tried (RE5, RE6, REmake HD) were still detecting when I was switch between keyboard and gamepad (there was an in-game notification at the top of the screen), but the screen remained black, with no sound and no way to skip it. Returning to the previous build fixed that.

Rich!

Yo. I need help.

Been on Windows 10 for a long time now, way before the release. Love it, no issues.

apart from the newest update has introduced a really fucking annoying issue. The copy/paste progress dialog box does not appear. It's not rendered anywhere at all, and it's an issue as when moving stuff between drives, I have no fucking clue what the progress is. Rolling back to a previous install isn't an option.

stuck using xcopy in commandline right now, pain in the ass

cabot

Yo. I need help.

Been on Windows 10 for a long time now, way before the release. Love it, no issues.

apart from the newest update has introduced a really fucking annoying issue. The copy/paste progress dialog box does not appear. It's not rendered anywhere at all, and it's an issue as when moving stuff between drives, I have no fucking clue what the progress is. Rolling back to a previous install isn't an option.

stuck using xcopy in commandline right now, pain in the ass

Known issue in the latest Insider build. Waiting for the next one is the only other option if you can't revert.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Anyone know if it is possible to transfer a Win 10 license from an old PC to a different machine? My main board is not working well so I've purchased new parts to replace it with. Planning to build next week and would like to use the same license that was installed with my current PC (which will be eliminated). Any thoughts?

maeh2k

Anyone know if it is possible to transfer a Win 10 license from an old PC to a different machine? My main board is not working well so I've purchased new parts to replace it with. Planning to build next week and would like to use the same license that was installed with my current PC (which will be eliminated). Any thoughts?

With an OEM license, it won't work. So if that license of Windows came with a PC, it's bound to the mainboard of that PC.

If it's a license you bought at retail, then, I believe, it should still be transferable.

Top Bottom