• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 10 |OT| Something Happened? Something Happened.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
With an OEM license, it won't work. So if that license of Windows came with a PC, it's bound to the mainboard of that PC.

If it's a license you bought at retail, then, I believe, it should still be transferable.
Nah, it's a license gained from a retail copy of Windows 8 (i.e. - the "free" upgrade).

FyreWulff

Nah, it's a license gained from a retail copy of Windows 8 (i.e. - the "free" upgrade).

Should be good to go then.

If you sign in with a Microsoft account I even believe you'll be auto-activated when you reinstall. But if you're unsure, you can extract your Windows key and use it when you install.

Kalamoj

How can I set my laptop always on and online? When I close the lid it goes to standby no matter what.
Can you help me GAF?

Onikaan

Hey folks. Thinking of upgrading.

One question stalks my mind. People say Windows 10 is spying on me. How true is this and what do you have to say about it?

Thank ye.

Ms is weird sometimes... Back when win10 launched they were touting how they stripped the store from the music and video apps so we could have one single place for shopping content.

And now there's a update on insider hub touting how you don't need to go to the store to buy games and can do so directly from the Xbox App.

To be honest I prefer to have stores within the apps themselves, but it's jarring how they have different design goals for each.

I am getting frustrated as hell with my wireless printer. It's a Canon Pixma MX922 and none of my computers/laptops will detect it. I can't find shit online for this--I remember I used to have another wireless printer and couldn't get any computers on the same network to detect that, either.

I have no idea where to start troubleshooting. I've tried all the Windows 10 utilities (printers and devices, advanced printer setup, etc.) with no luck. I even tried installing it via USB, then disconnecting to see if it would still somehow detect it (long shot, I know) but that didn't work either.

Any suggestions?

clav

I am getting frustrated as hell with my wireless printer. It's a Canon Pixma MX922 and none of my computers/laptops will detect it. I can't find shit online for this--I remember I used to have another wireless printer and couldn't get any computers on the same network to detect that, either.

I have no idea where to start troubleshooting. I've tried all the Windows 10 utilities (printers and devices, advanced printer setup, etc.) with no luck. I even tried installing it via USB, then disconnecting to see if it would still somehow detect it (long shot, I know) but that didn't work either.

Any suggestions?

https://youtu.be/sXY1gX_MXk8

Once you verified the printer is connected to the network, then proceed to add the printer again.

Hey folks. Thinking of upgrading.

One question stalks my mind. People say Windows 10 is spying on me. How true is this and what do you have to say about it?

Thank ye.
Nothing is truly free. They do gather information about you and your preferences but I think there's a way to disable all that (even though they might still gather info).

It's a great OS, shame about the bugs on my pc.

dLMN8R

You're free to take what I say with a grain of salt since I work for Microsoft on Windows. But it's best to just look at the facts about what is collected and decide for yourself.

For Home and Pro SKUs, there is certain telemetry you cannot turn off. All of that telemetry is described in very specific detail here:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt577208(v=vs.85).aspx#BKMK_MoreUTC

• Basic device info. Helps provide an understanding about the various types of devices in the Windows 10 ecosystem, including:
    • Device attributes, such as camera resolution and display type
    • Internet Explorer version
    • Battery attributes, such as capacity and type
    • Networking attributes, such as mobile operator network and IMEI number
    • Processor and memory attributes, such as number of cores, speed, and firmware
    • Operating system attributes, such as Windows edition and IsVirtualDevice
    • Storage attributes, such as number of drives and memory size
  • Telemetry client quality metrics. Helps provide an understanding about how the telemetry client is functioning, including uploaded events, dropped events, and the last upload time.

• Quality-related information. Helps Microsoft develop a basic understanding of how a device and its operating system are performing. Some examples are the amount of time a connected standby device was able to fullsleep, the number of crashes or hangs, and application state change details, such as how much processor time and memory were used, and the total uptime for an app.

• App compat info. Helps provide understanding about which apps are installed on a device and to help identify potential compatibility problems.
    • General app info and app info for Internet Explorer add-ons. Includes a list of apps and Internet Explorer add-ons that are installed on a device and whether these apps will work after an upgrade. This app info includes the app name, publisher, version, and basic details about which files have been blocked from usage.
    • System info. Helps provide understanding about whether a device meets the minimum requirements to upgrade to the next version of the operating system. System information includes the amount of memory, as well as info about the processor and BIOS.
    • Accessory device info. Includes a list of accessory devices, such as printers or external storage devices, that are connected to Windows PCs and whether these devices will function after upgrading to a new version of the operating system.
    • Driver info. Includes specific driver usage that’s meant to help figure out whether apps and devices will function after upgrading to a new version of the operating system. This info can help to determine blocking issues and then help Microsoft and our partners apply fixes and improvements.
  • Store. Provides info about how the Windows Store performs, including app downloads, installations, and updates. It also includes Windows Store launches, page views, suspend and resumes, and obtaining licenses.

So basically, it collects the information that's necessary to determine whether future updates will work properly on your device, performance metrics to know whether there are problems, and basic stats around whether things are crashing.

Ed Bott's description here is also good:

http://www.zdnet.com/article/reveal...-that-windows-10-privacy-critics-are-missing/

https://youtu.be/sXY1gX_MXk8

Once you verified the printer is connected to the network, then proceed to add the printer again.

Yeah, see, I add it to the network just fine--but it never appears, either on my hard-wired desktop or my wireless Surface, as a printer to connect to :-\

It's also really frustrating that these steps:

To add a printer in Advanced printer setup

1. Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and then tap Search.
(If you're using a mouse, point to the upper-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer down, and then click Search.)

2.Enter Advanced printer setup in the search box, and tap or click Advanced printer setup.

3.Do one of the following:
• Choose a printer in the list.
• Tap or click The printer that I want isn’t listed, and either enter the printer name or choose one of the other options.

4. Tap or click Next, and then follow the on-screen instructions.

don't exist on my machine. I have no "Advanced printer setup" control panel/setting.

clav

Can you ping the printer? You can pull its IP address from the main router.

If you can't ping it, then the printer is basically offline.

Can you ping the printer? You can pull its IP address from the main router.

If you can't ping it, then the printer is basically offline.

Praise the lord, this fixed it: http://community.usa.canon.com/t5/W...ted-on-the-network-message-during/td-p/107863

Sorry--guess it was a Pixma-specific issue. I guess my other printer that I had trouble with (years ago) was a Canon Pixma, too.

Thanks for the help, anyways. Any idea why these two settings would cause it? As soon as I disabled them, the Pixma was added to my W10 machines automatically.

clav

Praise the lord, this fixed it: http://community.usa.canon.com/t5/W...ted-on-the-network-message-during/td-p/107863

Sorry--guess it was a Pixma-specific issue. I guess my other printer that I had trouble with (years ago) was a Canon Pixma, too.

Thanks for the help, anyways. Any idea why these two settings would cause it? As soon as I disabled them, the Pixma was added to my W10 machines automatically.

No idea. Printers are weird since there isn't really a standard in what tech should be. My guess is maybe the printer wanted to pull a IPv6 address vs. IPv4.

I use Brother printers with no issues.

Reminds me of this silly skit: https://youtu.be/pQGtucrJ8hM

Yeah, see, I add it to the network just fine--but it never appears, either on my hard-wired desktop or my wireless Surface, as a printer to connect to :-\

It's also really frustrating that these steps:

don't exist on my machine. I have no "Advanced printer setup" control panel/setting.

That's the steps on win8 XD

I also have a canon wireless, though from a different model.

All I had to do was press the wps button on my printer and then on my router, once the printer led stopped flashing the printer was discoverable on the network.

(Settings App ->Devices -> Add a printer, wait until it appears in the flyout and click it)

Edit: Just realized you already solved the issue XD

Swig_

Has anyone had issues with subwoofers with Windows 10?

I have these very old Creative brand 5.1 speakers. They work great, for what I need, which is why I haven't upgraded in years. However, I get no bass from my subwoofer in Windows 10. Oddly enough, the only time I can seem to get bass is when I use the Windows configure speaker dialogue box. When I test the speakers, I get a thundering boom out of my sub. However, I can't find any way for this to work outside of that screen.

The speakers at at "end of life" in terms of support, but I don't recall every installing specific drivers or software for them, they've always just worked.

It looks like the speakers are Creative Labs Gigaworks G500.

Edge is really bad on the latest builds for me. It will often show a page as blank and that a while to load when scrolling. Sometimes when entering a text the whole page hangs up for minutes until it becomes usable again.

This is happening on both desktop and mobile (on mobile I get more the blank pages when scrolling than the hang ups though)...

Hope they fix it soon (and bring extensions!)

There was an hardware update for my Sp3. Took it and now my surface won't get past the Surface boot screen :(

Forcing shut down isn't working, neither is the button sequence to get into the advanced menu.

Edit, nevermind, it finally booted after a 30 minute wait XD

Qurupeke

I finally decided to upgrade the PC I use. The whole thing lasted like 30 minutes, maybe less. Why's that? I had upgraded a laptop the summer and it took like at least 2-3 hours.

FunnyJay

Neo Member
Still trying to decide whether to upgrade my Win 7 machine...

1. Are there a lot of issues on Win10 related to games?
2. Will I need to update drivers (graphics etc) or programs if I choose to upgrade?

Still trying to decide whether to upgrade my Win 7 machine...

1. Are there a lot of issues on Win10 related to games?
2. Will I need to update drivers (graphics etc) or programs if I choose to upgrade?
I can only provide my subjective experiences so far.

1. Nope, been awesome, performance has been pretty much on par for me with Win7/8, maybe even a bit faster.

2. It will pretty much upgrade the drivers on its own on install. For graphics drivers, the appropriate third party driver software like AMD or nVIDIA's will handle updates. Programs though, upgrading is on you.

Rootbeer

Banned
I was browsing around on some news sites (in chrome, with adblock btw and a good, current filter set enabled) and some site launched the windows app store and loaded up the page for their app without my permission... this is a worrying trend. bad enough you sometimes see this shit on mobile, now we have to deal with it on windows too

Lime

Does anyone suffer from the slow reboot phenomenon?

When I select restart from Windows 10, it shuts down Windows and then sits for 2-3 minutes in a black screen before the computer finally properly reboots to POST. If I just select Shut down, the computer is fast and quick at shutting down and then I just have to click the power button to start it again. I've tried disabling the Fast Reboot option in Power Management, but the problem persists.

It's kind of annoying, since restarting the computer takes such a lon time.

Updated my graphics driver (Intel 5500) for my work laptop and the experience has been life-changing.

UI elements were just completely disappearing before. Things were constantly resizing, DPI was resetting, my monitor positions wouldn't be remembered.

I can't believe work gave me a laptop without updating the driver.

Jzero

Does anyone suffer from the slow reboot phenomenon?

When I select restart from Windows 10, it shuts down Windows and then sits for 2-3 minutes in a black screen before the computer finally properly reboots to POST. If I just select Shut down, the computer is fast and quick at shutting down and then I just have to click the power button to start it again. I've tried disabling the Fast Reboot option in Power Management, but the problem persists.

It's kind of annoying, since restarting the computer takes such a lon time.

Go into BIOS/UEFI and check if fast boot in on

Dunno why, but it took my SP3 almost 3 hours to install this firmware update. Usually it doesn't take 5 minutes.

But at least those infuriating graphic display driver crashes seem to be gone.

Drifters

3 hrs huh? It was "getting ready..."

Anyways, I literally just reset my SP3 again which is now the 3rd time in less than a month. If the shit keeps BSOD, I'm taking it back to a MS store and handing it to them and saying I want a refund.

Jesus, it seems every day there's a new issue with my SP3 now.

Now it can't connect to my router, if I try to set up a fixed IP it does connect to the network, but still don't get internet activity.

It wasn't the firmware update as I used it all day with no issues yesterday, and it also doesn't seem like a driver issue because it connects to my cellular... It doesn't seem to be anything wrong with my router either, because every other device is connecting with no issues.
3 hrs huh? It was "getting ready..."

Anyways, I literally just reset my SP3 again which is now the 3rd time in less than a month. If the shit keeps BSOD, I'm taking it back to a MS store and handing it to them and saying I want a refund.

I just came across this info:

http://www.windowscentral.com/rolli...gs-driver-allegedly-fixes-bsods-surface-pro-3

Perhaps that's what's happening to you?

Drifters

Jesus, it seems every day there's a new issue with my SP3 now.

Now it can't connect to my router, if I try to set up a fixed IP it does connect to the network, but still don't get internet activity.

It wasn't the firmware update as I used it all day with no issues yesterday, and it also doesn't seem like a driver issue because it connects to my cellular... It doesn't seem to be anything wrong with my router either, because every other device is connecting with no issues.

I just came across this info:

http://www.windowscentral.com/rolli...gs-driver-allegedly-fixes-bsods-surface-pro-3

Perhaps that's what's happening to you?

Nope, my issue is a power wake issue and I think I have a theory on it. I believe the Intel HD drivers do NOT play nicely with the Windows 10 "battery saver" mode. I'm going to not use that mode and see if I can remain stable for 24 hrs. If I have it hang again, then it's something much deeper in the OS power call structure to the Intel HD drivers telling them to wake up.

My theory is that while the SP3 sleeps or is not being used, the power sub system allows the Wi-Fi to go out and check for updates (mail, FB, weather, etc.) however when it tries to do so, it somehow runs into a runtime error with the Intel drivers. I can't believe MS would not have fixed this but then again, Intel drivers are shit.

THIS WAS FIXED, There was a bitcoin miner running apparently..

Hopefully someone can help me..

Computer Type: Desktop, custom build

GPU: 2 gig 770

CPU: Intel i5-4670k

Motherboard: MSI plus for that socket (z87??)

RAM: 8 gigs of ddr3 1600mhz

PSU: Gold 850 watt

Operating System & Version: Windows 10

GPU Drivers: 361.43

Chipset Drivers: NA

Background Applications: none

Description of Problem: After 5 minutes of booting, my gpu useage becomes pegged to 96% and the fan at 50%. I cannot really do anything like gaming over even some hi def video.

Troubleshooting: I have uninstalled everything and reinstalled like the sticky post on the nvidia subreddit says, I have removed and tested in another machine (it was fine, with same drivers and all)... I guess I just need to format and see if it helps??

Nope, my issue is a power wake issue and I think I have a theory on it. I believe the Intel HD drivers do NOT play nicely with the Windows 10 "battery saver" mode. I'm going to not use that mode and see if I can remain stable for 24 hrs. If I have it hang again, then it's something much deeper in the OS power call structure to the Intel HD drivers telling them to wake up.

My theory is that while the SP3 sleeps or is not being used, the power sub system allows the Wi-Fi to go out and check for updates (mail, FB, weather, etc.) however when it tries to do so, it somehow runs into a runtime error with the Intel drivers. I can't believe MS would not have fixed this but then again, Intel drivers are shit.
It makes sense, but if that's the case, how about disabling connected stand by?

They made it far less useful on win10. On 8 you'd have updates downloaded and installed, onedrive would sync the files... On win10 I pretty much only use it to stream from groove when sleeping, since it never installs any update or update any app, and it also doesn't sync files from onedrive.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I've been getting lock ups (usually) and DPC_Watchdog_Violation BSODs (rarely) since I upgraded a few weeks ago. They were extremely frequent, tried to use driver verifier to see if there was a driver problem but then the PC wouldn't even boot. So I had to do a reset, now I still get the problem, just less often. Even when I get BSODs the dumps don't help because they usually just point to ntkrnlmp.exe.

clav

I've been getting lock ups (usually) and DPC_Watchdog_Violation BSODs (rarely) since I upgraded a few weeks ago. They were extremely frequent, tried to use driver verifier to see if there was a driver problem but then the PC wouldn't even boot. So I had to do a reset, now I still get the problem, just less often. Even when I get BSODs the dumps don't help because they usually just point to ntkrnlmp.exe.

Might be an issue with booting from fast boot.

If you disable fast boot, will that work?

Drifters

It makes sense, but if that's the case, how about disabling connected stand by?

They made it far less useful on win10. On 8 you'd have updates downloaded and installed, onedrive would sync the files... On win10 I pretty much only use it to stream from groove when sleeping, since it never installs any update or update any app, and it also doesn't sync files from onedrive.

That might be a good idea actually. If theory #1 falls through, I'll move to that. Although now that I think about it, it's sad that I'm doing regression testing for Microsoft come to think about it.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Might be an issue with booting from fast boot.

If you disable fast boot, will that work?

Worth a try. Would be nice if it is that easy to deal with.

Didn't seem to work. Gave verifier a shot again and it seems to have worked better. It quickly ran into a driver issue so I took care of that, and seems to be working fine now with verifier running. Going to keep it running for a while to make sure nothing pops up.

I think not having an option to boot to safe mode if you auto login is the worst Windows 10 change hands down. That was a MASSIVE pain in the ass because it was a race against time to be able to get to safe mode to disable verifier so I could fix the problem. Immensely stupid change, and I can't imagine a single benefit.

Ledbetter

Apparently I can't change keyboard layouts (English/Spanish) as I used to with WinKey + Space. I tried changing it in the control panel, but it doesn't work. Also tried in the Windows 10 settings but it doesn't work neither. The language bar was also missing, but after turning it on in the task bar, it appears in blank, with no language selected.

So I'm stuck using the english layout.

Drifters

Happy to report about 24 hrs on and no BSOD. I think that and I did go ahead and disable wi-fi on sleep may have been the issue.

CodeNfX

I'm in the process of building a new rig, I have a windows 7 cd/key. I want a fresh install of windows 10 but not sure how to proceed. Install windows 7 then upgrade to 10? Or use the creation tool and install windows 10 using my window 7 key, will that work?

Drifters

I'm in the process of building a new rig, I have a windows 7 cd/key. I want a fresh install of windows 10 but not sure how to proceed. Install windows 7 then upgrade to 10? Or use the creation tool and install windows 10 using my window 7 key, will that work?

Install Windows 7, download upgrade and install Windows 10. Once upgraded to Windows 10, register online, your key will then be migrated to a Windows 10 key. Once done go to: action center -> all settings -> upgrade & security -> recovery and click reset this PC. This will perform a clean installation of Windows 10.

CodeNfX

Install Windows 7, download upgrade and install Windows 10. Once upgraded to Windows 10, register online, your key will then be migrated to a Windows 10 key. Once done go to: action center -> all settings -> upgrade & security -> recovery and click reset this PC. This will perform a clean installation of Windows 10.

This is very helpful, thanks!

clav

You don't have to do that any more.

Install Windows 10.

DonMigs85

This is very helpful, thanks!
Drifters provided outdated info. With the latest build, you can use a Windows 7 or 8 key directly when installing Windows 10. Use the media creation tool from Microsoft's site to create a bootable USB drive or download the latest iso.

Iorv3th

Anyone know why computers that don't have bluetooth end up having the bluetooth widget highlighted in blue? When i click the action center bluetooth is the only thing that's blue and there is no way to turn it off.

I just noticed the xbox app has many icons on the title bar, like reloading, compact mode... Is that something the APIs allow or it's just a special case for the xbox app?

It would be cool to see this in other apps as well.

Top Bottom