• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 / RT |OT|

derFeef

Any good alternatives to NextGenReader yet? I really want to read my articles with Readability without needing to click the button on every single article.

elseanio

Does anyone know any troubleshooting as to why this setting isn't working?

I have tried Microsoft account and local account, with picture password, pin and normal password.. Every time I switch my pc on, it requires me to enter it (which I don't want)

dmpkR.png

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I think I might hate the xbox music app.

I got that trial thing, for one month, but that seems to play me the first 30 seconds of each song?

also I want to listen to something in my library and it turns up shit in the shop anyway and plays me intros to that. I can't easily make a playlist of 2 albums by different artists either. Anyone liking this app? If I search by artist I don't see a way to play just one of their albums either.

terrible interface.

PG2G

I think I might hate the xbox music app.

Yeah, it sucks. Hope I can point you in the right direction.

I got that trial thing, for one month, but that seems to play me the first 30 seconds of each song?

There are some albums (moreso than ever) that aren't available to Xbox Music so you'd have to buy them. In this case, you'd only hear a 30 second preview. If that isn't the case with that specific album then somehow your trial hasn't kicked in.

If I search by artist I don't see a way to play just one of their albums either.

If you select the artist, you'll need to go into Explore Artist and there will be a list of all albums. I prefer to search by artist, then go to the album view and select the album there.

Alucrid

Banned
Anyone encounter an issue where you can install apps from the store? My dad is having trouble on his laptop, no idea why though.

Make sure the windows firewall service hasn't been disabled (run services.msc to check). The last time I checked apps would fail to install/update when it was set to 'disable'.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Why is VLC so popular >:-( I'm still a MPC guy at heart <3

Because it plays everything without any external codecs and it works across every operating system. It's the ultimate set it and forget it. It certainly isn't because of the hideous UI or non-standard controls (eg alt+enter doesn't fullscreen in VLC *boggle*)

I picked up a samsung 700t yesterday and am really liking the feel and responsiveness of win8. I don't think I care to upgrade my pcs to this os, but on a touch device it seems like a great fit. I am not a power user and I prefer the desktop to the tile screen, but swiping from the left or right side makes navigating very easy and intiutive.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
I picked up a samsung 700t yesterday and am really liking the feel and responsiveness of win8. I don't think I care to upgrade my pcs to this os, but on a touch device it seems like a great fit. I am not a power user and I prefer the desktop to the tile screen, but swiping from the left or right side makes navigating very easy and intiutive.
how is the battery life?

Haint

windows defender doesn't update. Not sure what's up. or how to fix it.

edit: Solved.

What was the solve? Any way to do it besides giving Windows permission to auto DL and install Windows Updates? Don't want it to force restart my damn computer on me.

how is the battery life?

I haven't run it down yet but haven't really been taxing it either. i have the brightness set about two steps down from max, have played a little civ 5, watched a few videos and streamed a bit of music off my network, plus some downloading. Other than that it has really just been used to surf the web and look around at what the computer has to offer. I don't know if it makes a difference, but I don't have a keyboard attached. I left the power settings at "Samsung optimized" and have used it for about 5 hours. It is telling me I have about 1.5 hours left so I figure about 6 to 7 hours total. I can definitely scale the brightness back it it becomes too much of an issue, but I am rarely away from a power outlet for that long.

Nymerio

Has anyone else encountered explorer just restarting? A friend of mine mentioned this to me and the last few days I've had it as well. I'm working and out of the blue all my explorer windows close and the taskbar reloads. Really annoying if you have a few windows open and have to open everything back up again.

I really like windows 8 thus far, but I'm almost at the point of going back to windows 7. Feels like this could have used a few more weeks in beta.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Because it plays everything without any external codecs and it works across every operating system. It's the ultimate set it and forget it. It certainly isn't because of the hideous UI or non-standard controls (eg alt+enter doesn't fullscreen in VLC *boggle*)
Yeah I remember having to deal with codecs in the mid 2000s.... Screw that. VLC is the way.

Also XBMC if you need a remote/jukebox front end. It will play anything you throw at it too.

nan0

What was the solve? Any way to do it besides giving Windows permission to auto DL and install Windows Updates? Don't want it to force restart my damn computer on me.

Defender updates don't require a restart to install. You can enable the "Allow Automatic Update immediate installation" policy, which auto-installs only updates that neither interfere with services nor require a restart. You find it under gpedit.msc => Administrative Templates-Windows Components-Windows Update

zou

Wow, MS is advertising like crazy. Just got back from the mall and there are banners all over the place for Windows 8.

Yeah, just saw a bunch when visiting Hamburg. They are actually surprisingly decent. One has Angry Birds running with Mail to the side, and the ad says "Angry Birds. Happy Boss".

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
has anyone tried storage spaces with an sd card? can you merge a normal drive with an sd card?

Does anyone know any troubleshooting as to why this setting isn't working?

I have tried Microsoft account and local account, with picture password, pin and normal password.. Every time I switch my pc on, it requires me to enter it (which I don't want)

dmpkR.png

You're trying to get Win8 to boot without entering a password right? I followed the steps on this site get mine to boot without a password each time.

http://xtendedview.com/computer/windows-8/how-to-set-auto-login-in-windows-8/645/

hwalker84

How do I share photos that are in my photo app to Facebook? When I open the charm bar and click on share, I only see Mail and SkyDrive as my share options. I linked my facebook account in the People App, but that didn't solve the problem. Any help?
That's because there's no Facebook app.

dLMN8R

Have you tried Windows Update on Windows 8 yet or did you just automatically disable it out of habit? The way it handles reboots is completely overhauled:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/...ter-automatic-updating-in-windows-update.aspx

Basically:

-Stuff automatically downloads/installs in the background
-After install is done, you see a notification on the login screen, and 3 days to finish the reboot
-Only after 3 days does your machine finally reboot

The most important part - the 15-minute countdown timer doesn't start until you're actually at your machine to see it, meaning it won't auto-reboot in the middle of the night when you might have forgotten to save your stuff.

Zizbuka

Banned
Nah, U.S. is 13,222 right now.

But the Store is a mess. A large number are Desktop Apps, with no way to filter them out, at least not that I saw. Then, when I filter on Free, it shows Desktop Apps with a link to their web site, which charges.

I was really hoping this store would be different; maybe quality over quantity.

Zizbuka

Banned
This might deserve it's own thread, it's really big news (at least for me).

Age of Empires II works on Windows 8. I could never get it to work on Windows 7, and I remember it being an issue for lots of people before.

Again, Age of Empires II works on Windows 8. All rejoice and upgrade.

Man, I was hoping to stick around with Windows Media Player a little longer but my uncompressed AVIs look like ass now. If I do want codecs, what doesn't come with the system that is also kind of important?

Also, I'm starting to learn Windows 8 more and more but one thing that bugs me is how the top-left corner activates too quickly. It makes reaching window corners in that area kind of difficult. Any way to delay the action?

t-ramp

This might deserve it's own thread, it's really big news (at least for me).

Age of Empires II works on Windows 8. I could never get it to work on Windows 7, and I remember it being an issue for lots of people before.

Again, Age of Empires II works on Windows 8. All rejoice and upgrade.
Hmm. I've played a bunch on Windows 7. Not without some instability, and I have to close explorer.exe to get proper colors, but it works. I actually played a 2+ hour LAN game with my brother on Saturday with my Windows 7 desktop and laptop running 8 without issue.

Anyway, good to hear it's working for you. It's a great game.

Zizbuka

Banned
Hmm. I've played a bunch on Windows 7. Not without some instability, and I have to close explorer.exe to get proper colors, but it works. I actually played a 2+ hour LAN game with my brother on Saturday with my Windows 7 desktop and laptop running 8 without issue.

Anyway, good to hear it's working for you. It's a great game.

Are you running 64 bit? Maybe that was the issue, can't remember. I know I still can't get win8x64 to recognize my Zune. :(

Natiko

Banned
I was having tons of issues getting Windows 8 stable on my laptop. Finally gave up and did a fresh install. Turns out the problem was probably my graphics card which doesn't currently have any drivers that work with Windows 8. Now that I've realized this, I kind of regret upgrading at all. Sigh.

Top Bottom