• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 / RT |OT|

I guess I should explain that I am installing this on a Mac via Bootcamp, so I don't have a BIOS, I don't have the means to create an installer....

Is the $99 OEM version my only option? And, if so, is there not a cheaper version out there?

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her

Alx

Speaking of the store, is there a way to have better filtering options than "best free apps" and "new apps" ? What if I want the "best pay apps" ?

AColdDay

How do I share photos that are in my photo app to Facebook? When I open the charm bar and click on share, I only see Mail and SkyDrive as my share options. I linked my facebook account in the People App, but that didn't solve the problem. Any help?

MCD

How do I share photos that are in my photo app to Facebook? When I open the charm bar and click on share, I only see Mail and SkyDrive as my share options. I linked my facebook account in the People App, but that didn't solve the problem. Any help?

At least you have some options there.

Messenger app has none. No share option whatsoever.

If MS can't do proper charm/share options, then who can?

speedline

Banned
Do you have links by chance?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832416550

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0094NY3R0/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I had ordered it from newegg for $99 a few days ago not knowing it would be on sale. looks like I'm sol on the deal since it seems they don't take returns on it:/ Trying to get through to newegg customer service now to see if I can return it unopened but customer service keeps locking up when i try to send them a message. I guess $20 wont kill me though.

It's $79.99 right now if anyone is interested.

Exuro

My dad upgraded his laptop to 8 from 7 the other day. Apps seem to take a long time to load, like 15-20 seconds. It has an i7 quad core so it isn't a slouch. What could be the problem?

My 78yo grampa after seeing a W8 tablet commercial on today, "I'm not buyin that shit." Whole family laughed our asses off for about 10 minutes.

TBF, I still haven't tried anything W8 yet.

Totakeke

Certainly not this. Betting it is the hdd. Kind of sucks as he has a pretty large drive in it along with a bluray drive so he "couldn't" upgrade to a ssd.

I don't think HDD is the sole reason, you probably want to update the apps as well as give it a bit more time. You might also want to defragment the drive.

Exuro

It is 3 clicks to shutdown. Same as Windows 7.
It's still longer tbh. I find moving the mouse to the top corner to make a menu pop up and then move it near the bottom corner to be rather cumbersome. Windows 7 stuff is all in the same corner.

I don't think HDD is the sole reason, you probably want to update the apps as well as give it a bit more time. You might also want to defragment the drive.
It's a fairly new system so I'm not sure if a defrag would help. Will check it out.

It's still longer tbh. I find moving the mouse to the top corner to make a menu pop up and then move it near the bottom corner to be rather cumbersome. Windows 7 stuff is all in the same corner.

It's a fairly new system so I'm not sure if a defrag would help. Will check it out.

You can move up from the bottom right corner as well.

I was just joking lol.

Just press the damn power button on your computer people.

The extra click shutdown has become the rallying cry of every troll and the clowns that eat their shit. It's their core straw in the straw-man still mud slinging campaign against Windows 8. I swear I've become bi-polar because every time I begin my Windows 8 session and feel the smoothness compared to my Windows 7 experience, I feel like the naysayers must be using a completely different system.

You can make your own shortcut and just pin it to the start menu. Can make a restart button as well.

It still boggles my mind why someone wouldn't want a task like "shutdown" not obfuscated. Just what sort of daily efficiency is one measuring to require 1/3 to 1/2 a second shaved off of their shutdown activation that they are willingly exposing themselves to accidently clicking it by putting it front and center. It's like people with the worst UI design sensibilities have been given a voice.

It still boggles my mind why someone wouldn't want a task like "shutdown" not obfuscated. Just what sort of daily efficiency is one measuring to require 1/3 to 1/2 a second shaved off of their shutdown activation that they are willingly exposing themselves to accidently clicking it by putting it front and center. It's like people with the worst UI design sensibilities have been given a voice.

I put my (desktop, Win 8) computer into sleep mode every time I leave it. What's so bad about wanting the button more easily accesible?

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I put my (desktop, Win 8) computer into sleep mode every time I leave it. What's so bad about wanting the button more easily accesible?

*click*

"FUCK I DIDNT WANT TO DO THAT 3RD TIME THIS WEEK SHIT"

is what's wrong. While this would be an amusing annoyance for some people, this is the kind of thing that would get an IT worker shot by a CEO in a business.

*click*

"FUCK I DIDNT WANT TO DO THAT 3RD TIME THIS WEEK SHIT"

is what's wrong. While this would be an amusing annoyance for some people, this is the kind of thing that would get an IT worker shot by a CEO in a business.

Well, personally I wouldn't want an instant shutdown button, but rather a taskbar icon/menu in which I could choose my shutdown options.

Set the power button to sleep.

Interesting, didn't know you could do that. I'll take a look, thanks!

edit: That totally worked. Thanks a lot.

Lynn616

Interesting, didn't know you could do that. I'll take a look, thanks!

edit: That totally worked. Thanks a lot.

No problem. There are many options in the power control panel. I almost never use the shutdown or restart links. Sleep is when I close the laptop lid. Shutdown is when I press the power button.

border

CompUSA is selling Windows 8 Pro Upgrade for $48 tomorrow (with coupon).

Are there any other better deals out there?

Can I do a clean install off an upgrade disc? Do I just need the old serial number of my Windows 7 install? Or do I have to install it over a previous version of Windows?

maeh2k

Does that mean they're expecting another ~90,000 apps to be added in the next two months to reach their 100k goal? Or does that number not include some apps?

They are already at 20,000+ world-wide (just not in a single market). So in the month since launch they have added around 10,000 apps. They may not get to 100,000 but 40,000 to 50,000 seems possible.

MrHicks

Banned
properly organized you find stuff waaay faster with the metro start then traditional
traditional looks kinda lika a clusterfuck now

+ i don't have a single "metro" app on the metro start lol
all "normal" programs

SteveWD40

My 78yo grampa after seeing a W8 tablet commercial on today, "I'm not buyin that shit." Whole family laughed our asses off for about 10 minutes..

You have terrible senses of humour, either that or Gramps is Richard Pryor.

Oh I get it, you were laughing at the utter cliché of an old person hating anything new? Kudos.

properly organized you find stuff waaay faster with the metro start then traditional
traditional looks kinda lika a clusterfuck now

Same here, my laptop feels like new and I can create a visually appealing games list (using OblyTile) without using Steams own launcher, which is nice.

surly

Banned
This is probably a stupid question but where can one change this?
On the Metro screen type "power button". One of the 2 search results under Settings will be "Change what the power buttons do".

The search (when it comes to settings) is quite a bit more advanced in Windows 8 as it doesn't require you to enter exact words. For instance, you can type "change wallpaper" and you'll get the setting "Change desktop background", or if you type "make fonts bigger" you'll get "Make text and other items larger or smaller". It doesn't matter if you don't use the exact word most of the time.

Top Bottom