• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 / RT |OT|

kitch9

Banned
I was having tons of issues getting Windows 8 stable on my laptop. Finally gave up and did a fresh install. Turns out the problem was probably my graphics card which doesn't currently have any drivers that work with Windows 8. Now that I've realized this, I kind of regret upgrading at all. Sigh.

Is it an old laptop?

MCD

I just use Potplayer since it gives me no trouble with the various kinds of fucked up subtitles the animu groups use.

I'd use CCCP but still no new version or any talk about Windows 8. Yeah yeah, the old pack would work but not gonna bother installing old shit.

Feels kind of pointless having upgraded.

I hate the new UI so I've installed an app that gives me back the Windows 7 start menu and I just use the desktop UI. That app nonsense is annoying.

Jzero

Feels kind of pointless having upgraded.

I hate the new UI so I've installed an app that gives me back the Windows 7 start menu and I just use the desktop UI. That app nonsense is annoying.
Well you should of tried the trial version before upgrading.

Considering getting a Surface RT. Are there any decent text editors available yet? Just looking for syntax highlighting (Java/C/C++/JS/PHP/Ruby/Python/Whatever), auto-indentation, and maybe a file navigator. I could build one myself, but I'm way too lazy.

railGUN

Banned
So I just bought Windows 8 Pro, I'm upgrading from XP. It downloaded Windows no problem, but when I run the "Install Windows" program, I don't get an option to "Install by creating media" -- All I see is "Install now" and "Install later from your desktop"...

Any idea why I'm missing that option? I have a working DVD drive...

Edit: apparently you don't get that option when going XP > Windows 8.

That looks pretty slick... gonna check it out if there's a demo :)

Edit:

There's a TON of text editor apps on the US store! Trying Notepad RT right now :)

Edit:
It seems like a nice quick app to get very simple jobs done. Nowhere near the level of a Notepad++ (not that it was claiming to be or anything) but I like the collapsing scope feature though it would be nice to have some better defined depth to it as well as outlining controls. Features are a bare minimum and seems to lack encoding and format specification controls on opening or during edit. The pet peeve is no scroll bar to drag when using a mouse. which makes getting around a shore on long documents. There's no cursor/page info either. It looks nice though :)

MCD

I HATE how the photo app won't navigate between pictures if they are not in the library.

Absolutely useless.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
I HATE how the photo app won't navigate between pictures if they are not in the library.

Absolutely useless.
the whole point of the library is to point to multiple folders from multiple locations without actually moving them. just add whatever folder you want to the library.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
I just use Potplayer since it gives me no trouble with the various kinds of fucked up subtitles the animu groups use.

I'd use CCCP but still no new version or any talk about Windows 8. Yeah yeah, the old pack would work but not gonna bother installing old shit.

Shark's codec pack is better anyway. http://shark007.net/win8codecs.html

mojiimbo

I bought my dad a new W8 PC on Black Friday along with a separate SSD and I'd really like to install the SSD as a boot drive. I'm not really sure how to get W8 fresh on there ever since computers don't come with restore disks anymore without using mirroring/cloning software. Anyone know first hand if I'd be able to work around this by somehow using the OEM license key to perform a fresh install from a retail W8 install/upgrade disk? I figure this way it'd also get rid of all the bloatware that it'll probably come with too.

I tried Google and found some speculation about the license being embedded into the bios in Windows 8 but it wasn't conclusive. Thanks.

MCD

the whole point of the library is to point to multiple folders from multiple locations without actually moving them. just add whatever folder you want to the library.

You can't expect me to add every picture from every source like removable disks just so I can go back and forth with the pathetic photo app.

Shark's codec pack is better anyway. http://shark007.net/win8codecs.html

Too bloaty for just playing animu MKVs.

Natiko

Banned
Is it an old laptop?

Nope, I got it in February I believe. HP Envy 17, the graphics card is some "special version" for HP which means HP themselves have to release their drivers and they clearly don't care enough to. Specifically it's a Radeon HD 7690M.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
I can't believe people still use codec packs

I'm running a dedicated media machine for my home theater running Mediabrowser via Media Center and controlled with my Harmony remote. Playing videos via VLC isn't really an elegant solution.

I'd rather get a codec pack, but is this any good? I prefer to use as few programs as possible.

Yes, it's very good a highly customizable.

Natiko

Banned
There will be nothing special about it... Doesn't amds mobility drivers work?

http://www.guru3d.com/files_details/amd_catalyst_12_11_beta_download.html

I'm using this one on my laptop.

It's not special per se, but one that doesn't exist outside of HP laptops. I've tried several different things but they've all failed. Part of the problem is the graphics card suddenly starts getting detected as a Radeon 6700 series in Windows 8 and from there it won't update properly.

Rootbeer

Banned
MPCHC + LAV + MadVR... never found a more perfect combination... you don't need all this codec pack nonsense for 99% of the stuff out there.

JaggedSac

Microsoft Minesweeper is now available for Windows RT. Doesn't run particularly smooth on the Surface. How the hell does someone make a minesweeper game, that isn't completely fucking smooth?

Puddles

Banned
Windows 8 is the worst operating system in the history of mankind. I seriously cannot believe how god-awful it is. There aren't enough words for me to even describe it. Having to download a 3rd party app just to get a start button to make it usable? Jesus Christ, Microsoft.

Worst thing is you can't downgrade unless you have the Pro version. Fucking LOLZ!

Windu

http://www.zdnet.com/microsoft-weve-sold-40-million-windows-8-licenses-to-date-7000007990/
Microsoft has sold 40 million Windows 8 licenses since October 26.

Tami Reller, the Chief Marketing and Financial Officer for Windows announced the tally during the Credit Suisse Annual Tech Conference on November 27.

Microsoft had not released any sales figures for Windows 8 other than saying the company sold 4 million upgrade licenses of the operating system to those with previous versions of Windows during the first three days it was available. Microsoft launched Windows 8 commercially on October 26.

Reller did not release any sales figures for Microsoft's Surface RT tablet/PC devices, which also have been on sale since October 26.

Reller spent much of the first 25 minutes of her presentation about Windows 8 and Surface reiterating Microsoft's design philosophy. She cited a number of statistics meant to show that users were positive about the Windows 8 PCs and tablets that have are in the market and coming to market in the coming months.

"For $39.99, you get Windows 7 made even better," Reller said.

Reller is one the two primary leaders in charge of the Windows division -- along with the new head of Windows engineering, Julie Larsen-Green -- now that former Windows President Steven Sinofsky has left the company. Sinofsky's immediate departure was announced a couple of weeks ago.

More to come.

kitch9

Banned
Windows 8 is the worst operating system in the history of mankind. I seriously cannot believe how god-awful it is. There aren't enough words for me to even describe it. Having to download a 3rd party app just to get a start button to make it usable? Jesus Christ, Microsoft.

Worst thing is you can't downgrade unless you have the Pro version. Fucking LOLZ!

I like Windows 8.

Fucking LOLZ......

Jzero

This is the wrong thread to be complaining in since most of us like the OS, but yes it does have some problems.

itsgreen

Oh crazy puddles. The moment you'll accept the removal of the start button, you'll start loving the start screen.

DagsJT

Is there a way of stopping XBox Music from lowering its volume right down when I go into another app? It's pretty annoying that it drops the volume so low but then goes to full volume when you tab back into it.

zou

Did they fix the horrible performance with libraries in 8? In Win7, browsing/saving using the file dialog is god awful slow.

Windu

Is there a way of stopping XBox Music from lowering its volume right down when I go into another app? It's pretty annoying that it drops the volume so low but then goes to full volume when you tab back into it.
i haven't had that issue but i have seen a few people complain about it. I think someone managed to fix it, forgot how though....

massoluk

Banned
My first experience with Win 8 was at Best Buy, I must have spent 5-10 minutes trying to find the start menu and keep clicking on that white "Start" text on the background. I can't be the only one. Who the fuck thought that "Start" thing was a good idea, lol. That was such a touch/click bait.

Why on Earth would anyone want to accept the removal of the start button?

It's like designing a car with no gas pedal.

Windows 8 still lets me be as productive without the start menu as Windows 7 let me be with it but also offers other benefits that are really amazing. With more new features that I enjoy and a few older features that I haven't been missing, the net result is pretty positive.

If you are hung up on using something new without any changes to how you used the older version then there's no reason to change but don't go acting like the new thing makes it impossible to do what the old thing could do.

Top Bottom