• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 / RT |OT|

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Why on Earth would anyone want to accept the removal of the start button?

It's like designing a car with no gas pedal.
You click in a corner instead of on an icon. Why is this such a big deal to people???

surly

Banned
Well the 'corner' is like a 9 pixel block, which can be a real bitch to hit on a large monitor or in an RDP session.
It don't get how it's a bitch to hit when it's in a corner. You can just press the Windows key on your keyboard instead though which toggles between the Metro screen and whatever you're doing at the time.

Well the 'corner' is like a 9 pixel block, which can be a real bitch to hit on a large monitor or in an RDP session.

It's not that bad actually once you get used to it (took a few times in my virtual instance) plus you still have the windows key. The moral is people have a greater capacity for accepting change then they're willing to give themselves credit for.

Puddles

Banned
It's not that bad actually once you get used to it (took a few times in my virtual instance) plus you still have the windows key. The moral is people have a greater capacity for accepting change then they're willing to give themselves credit for.

My 55 year old, computer-illiterate mother doesn't have much capacity for accepting change. I doubt she's ever going to use Metro.

Thankfully I managed to get a free app that adds a start button. Problem solved.

BocoDragon

But it's a corner. You can't miss anything. You just swing the mouse cursor into the general direction of the corner and it's going to hit.

In fact, it's positioning your cursor directly over an icon that is more difficult to hit.

Tenck

My 55 year old, computer-illiterate mother doesn't have much capacity for accepting change. I doubt she's ever going to use Metro.

Thankfully I managed to get a free app that adds a start button. Problem solved.

Well looks like you had problems changing too. What's your excuse, 50+ too?

In all seriousness, good on you for finding a workaround.

Edit:
Why was the thread on Windows 8 selling 40 million licenses locked?

People were already shitting up the thread. Too many people still want Windows 8 to fail.

dLMN8R

I was amused when I searched for that Windows 7 thread I ended up linking to. I was already working at Microsoft when Windows 7 released and remembered seeing the same cynicism shitting up threads, even if it wasn't the same level of negativity that Windows 8 saw. So when I saw the negativity pop up in the Windows 8 40 million thread I instantly got deja vu.

Jobiensis

But it's a corner. You can't miss anything. You just swing the mouse cursor into the general direction of the corner and it's going to hit.

In fact, it's positioning your cursor directly over an icon that is more difficult to hit.

What? So a small invisible portion is easier to hit than a large button.

And the 'corner' isn't a corner when it's windowed by a VM or RDP session.

xbhaskarx

What? So a small invisible portion is easier to hit than a large button.

But it's not small, it's "everything beyond the corner" in the sense that your pointer can't move beyond the corner. You can overshoot a small invisible portion, you can't miss a corner.
Have you never used a computer before? Because if you have I'm not sure what the problem is...

BocoDragon

What? So a small invisible portion is easier to hit than a large button..

It's not invisible. It's the place where the X and Y of your monitor bezel meet :p I can hit it from the other side of the room... and I do, when I operate Win 8 on my 50" plasma. It's actually positioning my mouse over an icon that is challenging, there.

And the 'corner' isn't a corner when it's windowed by a VM or RDP session.

Well I'll give you that. What a niche use case, though.

I'd still prefer having only one media player on the system and that one being Windows Media Player. I personally don't play a wide range of obscure filetypes but if I can get it to play FLV and MKV, I'm set.

BocoDragon

So RDP, VMs and multiple monitors are niche cases now?

Based on how many machines run windows out there? Yes.

If you use Windows in such a niche way, then by all means, hack the start button back in. Most people won't need to, though...

Totakeke

Installing a third party start menu being the prime argument against Windows 8 just shows people are running out of valid arguments. But then, if everyone raised so much stink whenever suggested using a custom ROM on Android, maybe the average Android device will be much better.

aaaaa0

When local, if I go to the left I end up on my other monitor.

I run this configuration on my machine. (Three monitors, left - center - right. Main screen is the center.)

There is a short invisible "peg" in each corner that catches the mouse pointer.

All you have to do is slam the mouse to the bottom of the screen, then slide it left and down diagonally. It will catch on the peg and engage the Start screen. You can do this really fast and it will catch every time. It's really hard to miss.

When RDP or VM'd it is a corner of a window.

RDP: Alt+Home
VM: Depends on your VM.

BocoDragon

My excuse is that not having a start button is dumb as shit.

You might be used to it, but there is nothing inherent to the design of an OS that demands something like that. It was a random idea from 1995 that you were trained on.

(Metro is another random idea, too. Both are arbitrary.. but I actually like the visual, rearrangeable grid of big icons rather than a nested list of text and tiny icons)

My excuse is that not having a start button is dumb as shit.

That's like bitching that all cars should have clutch while driving an automatic. If it's not necessary then its not a flaw. Do you know there's literally a cottage industry feeding this bullshit into the zeitgeist so they can sell you a solution? I'm going to let you in on a little secret you probably haven't heard anyone tell you up till now
You don't need a start button to use windows 8

So 40 million sold in 30 days huh. Pretty good.

Yeah, I'd say so. dLMN8R linked, in another thread, a discussion from a while back talking about how Win7 sold to 10% of the PC user-base in 3 months. Given this trajectory (from 4m in 4 days to 40m in 30 days) and what the current PC user-base (either 1.2b or 800m) is, these numbers seem pretty healthy.

LQX

Got Windows 8 on my new laptop, g_d-damn I'm hating this thing. Takes me forever to get anything done. Only time I felt I knew what I was doing or had real control was when I was online on a web browser where I pretty much had to fucking Google how to use the damn thing.

Anyway is there a recommend FREE start menu button? Googled but there seems to be many options.

JaggedSac

Got Windows 8 on my new laptop, g_d-damn I'm hating this thing. Takes me forever to get anything done. Only time I felt I knew what I was doing or had real control was when I was online on a web browser where I pretty much had to fucking Google how to use the damn thing.

What didn't you know how to do?

LQX

I got Pokki, and it seems to work pretty well.

https://www.pokki.com/windows-8-start-menu

Thanks. Will try that one out.

What didn't you know how to do?

Pretty much basic stuff which is why I'm so annoyed. It is brand new laptop so I immediately went to look to see what bloatware from the manufacturer I could uninstall and could not figure it out. Finally Googled it after giving up.

This thing is not intuitive for a new user at all especially ones like me that pretty much relied on the start menu to do everything rather than typing. And if you are the type that clicked to get things done, it now takes extra steps to even shut the thing off.

I have admired this thing from afar but after finally getting to really use I might have to jump on the hate train if my time with it does not improve.

f0lken

Thanks. Will try that one out.

Pretty much basic stuff which is why I'm so annoyed. It is brand new laptop so I immediately went to look to see what bloatware from the manufacturer I could uninstall and could not figure it out. Finally Googled it after giving up.

This thing is not intuitive for a new user at all especially ones like me that pretty much relied on the start menu to do everything rather than typing. And if you are the type that clicked to get things done, it now takes extra steps to even shut the thing off.

I have admired this thing from afar but after finally getting to really use I might have to jump on the hate train if my time with it does not improve.

Use the hardware power button, easier and one less step than in Windows 7

Alternatively you can do this it takes less than a minute to do it

f0lken

There you have it, power options in one click in the first column http://blog.laptopmag.com/how-to-shutdown-windows-8-in-just-one-click

1M6a4.jpg

There you have it, power options in one click in the first column http://blog.laptopmag.com/how-to-shutdown-windows-8-in-just-one-click

Has to be one of my bigger complaints about the OS. It's so convoluted just to turn it off! There should be options in the start screen user drop down.

Is there any way to make Facebook events show up in your calendar (like it does in Windows Phone)?

I don't think so. If there is I'm making the switch!
Although win7 is my secondary OS

zou

That may have something to do with what storage location you have linked to your library. It's always been fast for me.

Just various folder locations on my ssd. But for whatever reason, browsing via the libraries would take forever or it would get stuck. If I used the same file dialog to navigate to the same folder directly, everything was fine.

I ended up grabbing an upgrade copy of this over the weekend -- my dad got a new laptop on BF and Metro kind of grew on me after playing around with it a bit. As a launcher, it seems a lot nicer-looking and easier to organize than the Start Menu or desktop. And I could see myself using apps for a few things like Netflix or Twitter; I expect it'll be nice to get that crap out of my browser and into a more native interface.

Some parts of it still seem pretty clumsy, but I feel like I should give it a fair shake at least. Worst case, I'll just install the third-party Start Menu replacement (though honestly I never use that thing except for search anyway).

And for what it's worth, my dad has been super impressed with it so far. He's been using Windows pretty much since the beginning, but now he's mainly wanting to do some light browsing, email, etc., and it seems like he'll be able to do most of that without leaving the Metro interface.

xJavonta

Banned
Windows 8 is the worst operating system in the history of mankind. I seriously cannot believe how god-awful it is. There aren't enough words for me to even describe it. Having to download a 3rd party app just to get a start button to make it usable? Jesus Christ, Microsoft.

Worst thing is you can't downgrade unless you have the Pro version. Fucking LOLZ!

The ignorance is strong in this one.

Top Bottom