• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 / RT |OT|

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Just various folder locations on my ssd. But for whatever reason, browsing via the libraries would take forever or it would get stuck. If I used the same file dialog to navigate to the same folder directly, everything was fine.
weird. it only slows down for me when I am browsing a library folder that is on another pc.

Windu

its pathetic that Microsoft doesn't have an official way to browse the application store from the web.

Totakeke

This also makes sense and should be done more.

ji4Jk.png

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Why on Earth would anyone want to accept the removal of the start button?

It's like designing a car with no gas pedal.

The first cars had gas pedals, the first few versions of Windows didn't have a Start button. When I started using PCs we didn't even have Windows, it was DOS. How the hell did we drive those things back then??

dLMN8R

Really misleading though, due to how cheap Windows 8 is for most people. It seems like most people are only paying $15-$40 for this. Microsoft has pretty much killed enterprise and business adoption in 8 too as no business will upgrade to this with metro. It's going to be a big blunder once all is said and done.

No, not "for most people". No matter how cheap upgrades are, upgrades are still a tiny percentage of overall sales. For every edition of Windows, including 7 and 8, the vast, vast majority of sales come with brand new PCs.

No, not "for most people". No matter how cheap upgrades are, upgrades are still a tiny percentage of overall sales. For every edition of Windows, including 7 and 8, the vast, vast majority of sales come with brand new PCs.

"Reller did not break down the Windows 8 license sales between relatively cheap upgrades and purchases of new machines running the new software, but suggested much of the growth was coming from upgrades."

f0lken

I doesn't mean that they are only user upgrades (which would mean positively that MS have a winner in its hands because until now people only used the Windows that came in their machines and now they are willingly upgrading in mass :p) but OEMs also purchase new licenses to upgrade their current lineup of PCs

dLMN8R

"Reller did not break down the Windows 8 license sales between relatively cheap upgrades and purchases of new machines running the new software, but suggested much of the growth was coming from upgrades."

Growth above and beyond Windows 7 numbers, she doesn't say anything about total Windows 8 numbers.

Meaning, if Windows 7 sold 35 million in the same timeframe that Windows 8 sold 40 million, she's saying "much of that 5 million is upgrades"

f0lken

Growth above and beyond Windows 7 numbers, she doesn't say anything about total Windows 8 numbers.

Meaning, if Windows 7 sold 35 million in the same timeframe that Windows 8 sold 40 million, she's saying "much of that 5 million is upgrades"

Yup, honestly there aren't a lot of arguments to downplay the significance of Windows 8 selling more than 7 in the same timeframe, but hey, maybe in a couple of months the sales will get stangnant and people could say again that MS is doomed.

syko de4d

Yup, honestly there aren't a lot of arguments to downplay the significance of Windows 8 selling more than 7 in the same timeframe, but hey, maybe in a couple of months the sales will get stangnant and people could say again that MS is doomed.

i don´t think this will happen. When Surface Pro and some other Tablets with the "real" windows 8 starts next year we will see a good amount of W8 Sales.

kitch9

Banned
Really misleading though, due to how cheap Windows 8 is for most people. It seems like most people are only paying $15-$40 for this. Microsoft has pretty much killed enterprise and business adoption in 8 too as no business will upgrade to this with metro. It's going to be a big blunder once all is said and done.

No it's not misleading, MS gave Windows 7 away initially too...

You probably have no idea what Businesses are thinking either....

Jobiensis

No it's not misleading, MS gave Windows 7 away initially too...

You probably have no idea what Businesses are thinking either....

No, Win8 is substantially cheaper than Win7 ever was. 7 Pro anytime from 7 home was almost a $100. Win8 Pro from Win7 was $40 or $15. This definitely didn't hurt sales.

It is pretty obvious most businesses are going to hate Metro, because it will require retraining. That doesn't mean they won't eventually adopt it or love it, it just is money that they would rather spend elsewhere.

Microsoft's OSs will always sell well. Trying to spin the numbers positively or negatively at this point is premature.

What browsers do you guys use? Chrome for windows 8 sucks on touch and the only good touch browser is IE. Are there any other good ones?

maeh2k

What browsers do you guys use? Chrome for windows 8 sucks on touch and the only good touch browser is IE. Are there any other good ones?

Why limit yourself to one browser? Independent of OS I always use more than one and my main browser is never set as the standard browser.

IE10 is great in the Metro UI. IE10 is great for pinning sites to the task bar.

My main browser is Opera. Opera's default setting is that it reopens all tabs of the last session when you start it. In my case that's a ton of tabs (50+ across three windows right now). I don't have it set to be the standard browser, because at times when I don't have a browser running I want to open a website without first loading 50+ others.
So I use a second, more light-weight browser that doesn't open the last session as a default browser.

Alx

I still use Opera desktop on my laptop, and wish there was a metro version for RT. I also use Opera Mini on my android phone, and I miss many features it has for touch interface (the most common one being the "jump to bottom of page" contextual button that appears when you scroll a big page, like a neogaf thread).
IE10 is ok, actually much better in metro than in desktop (I still can't get used to that interface), but not "great".

speedline

Banned
I finally installed Windows 8 yesterday and it may have taken me 20 minutes to learn how to navigate everything. I have fallen in love with this OS, it is so easy to use and understand, runs fast as hell, everything is pretty damn seamlessly integrated. It is so easy to go straight from the metro gui right to the desktop I can't believe people are moaning and groaning about it. Task manager is leaps and bounds better than any previous installment, networking has never been easier. All my programs and drivers from windows 7 work flawlessly. This new OS feels fresh and fun.

The only question I have is if I can log into 8 without having to use my email account. Can I just make a local login without always being connected?

Windu

Yeah just search for user accounts. (you could also do it from the first boot setup stuff, same page when it asked you for an email)

Jzero

I finally installed Windows 8 yesterday and it may have taken me 20 minutes to learn how to navigate everything. I have fallen in love with this OS, it is so easy to use and understand, runs fast as hell, everything is pretty damn seamlessly integrated. It is so easy to go straight from the metro gui right to the desktop I can't believe people are moaning and groaning about it. Task manager is leaps and bounds better than any previous installment, networking has never been easier. All my programs and drivers from windows 7 work flawlessly. This new OS feels fresh and fun.

The only question I have is if I can log into 8 without having to use my email account. Can I just make a local login without always being connected?
ibvwOuAB0kLWHu.png

I use IE10 in Metro and Firefox on the desktop.

I'm glad the OS is selling really well. Hopefully it means I won't have to wait as long for Apple to deliver proper Boot Camp drivers for Windows 8. I decided to do the cheap $15 upgrade on my old MacBook and everything works fine except there are no on-screen display controls. I was able to find a 3rd party solution for volume display, but don't have on-screen display yet for screen brightness or keyboard backlight. Really wish the touchpad gestures were enabled though; all that works for gestures is two finger scrolling.

Windu

I still don't know why RT is referenced in the title and the OP. Its the equivalent of having a MacOS + IOS thread. A seperate WinRT thread would be very useful.
Windows 8 and Windows RT are very much alike. OSX and iOS are not.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Yeah what's up with the new releases thing on the store anyways? It's not only useless, but makes it seem like there's only a handful of apps added per week.

t-ramp

Yep, definitely. There's an option when making a new account, and I believe you can convert an existing Microsoft account to a local one.

Nander

Has this been posted yet?
http://windows8rubbishapps.wordpress.com/

I can't believe how much crap gets through Microsoft's quality control.

EDIT: There seems to be some kind of "conspiracy" where an MS employee apperantly has asked these developers to upload their crap apps multiple times. Why? Is MS that desperate to inflate the number of apps in the store? Or is it just this one employee's own idea?

Some info on "Windows Blue"

You may already be familiar with the product codename "Windows Blue." When we reported on it back in August, it was suggested that it would be a significant update to Windows 8 – perhaps delivered as a "Windows 8.1" Service Pack-style upgrade – at some point next year. The Verge today reports that Blue is a little bit more than that – not just an OS update, but a move towards a standardised annual update cycle across both Windows and Windows Phone.

For Windows 8, it's said that the update, which is expected to arrive in mid-2013, will include "UI changes and alterations to the entire platform and pricing." On the user interface front, we at Neowin have heard from one knowledgeable source that the changes are expected to include the ability to customise the Start screen with more flexible tile sizes – along the lines of the Start screen that debuted in Windows Phone 8 – as well as a broader range of colour and background customisation options.

Perhaps more interesting than this is the prospect that while Blue will almost certainly be a low-cost update, it may even be provided free of charge as a means to stimulate upgrades for all users. According to The Verge's sources, a new version of the Windows SDK will be released with Blue, and "Microsoft will stop accepting apps that are built for Windows 8, pushing developers to create apps for Blue."

It's said that Microsoft wants Blue to be "the next OS that everyone installs," although it's believed that the Windows 8 branding will remain. The initial Blue update is also expected to pave the way for a cycle of annual OS updates. A tentative release date for Blue beyond the mid-2013 time frame is not yet known.

Jburton

Banned
If anyone is looking for Windows 8 Professional (64-bit and 32-bit), I have one key for each (spares from my Dreamspark account).

Totally legitimate, I am looking to trade for Steam items or Steam funds.

PM if interested, I am not looking anything extortionate.

Being signed in doesn't mean you have to be connected to the internet. I haven't tried doing a local account but I imagine the experience is crippled compared to using your ms account.

Quick

Banned
Being signed in doesn't mean you have to be connected to the internet. I haven't tried doing a local account but I imagine the experience is crippled compared to using your ms account.

Not necessarily crippled. I'm on a local account (tried out the MS account, as well), little difference. I had to enter my Live information for Xbox Games initially, but afterwards, it signs me in automatically. It's pretty much that way across the board for the Metro apps.

You lose the ability to sync your preferences across different computers, for one, and that's probably a huge feature for others, but not for me. I'm either on my Windows desktop or my Macbook Pro. I have Dropbox to sync files, otherwise.

Top Bottom