• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 / RT |OT|

linkboy

At least you guys get to mess with it, I'm stuck using the RP until March (if it doesn't expire by then. Oh, the joys of being deployed).

Installer makes me uninstall Microsoft Security Essentials first. Why?

And I'm at the point that I need to restart my PC to continue installation. Not sure if I can do anything with Logmein after that.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

And I'm at the point that I need to restart my PC to continue installation. Not sure if I can do anything with Logmein after that.

Don't worry, W8 installs Windows.Defender (the new name for MSE), so you won't go without.

Because MSE is now built in into W8 (Though you can disable it to install a 3rd party solution if you will).

Ok, did the restart. It's done what it needs to do and brought me back into Windows 7.

So excite. Now it's checking a few more things. If I can enter in my product key now maybe it will do the whole install without needing me there.

rukland

Ok, did the restart. It's done what it needs to do and brought me back into Windows 7.

So excite. Now it's checking a few more things. If I can enter in my product key now maybe it will do the whole install without needing me there.

So jealous right now, for some reason my download is crawling along. Almost tempted to reboot my router.

Havent entered a key yet. I assume you are at the getting files ready.it'll restart again. To install Windows 8 and restart

Havent entered a key yet. I assume you are at the getting files ready.it'll restart again

I'm 15% into "Installing Windows 8". Logmein still working fine. At some point I expect it to drop on a restart and won't be able to reconnect.

Curious how far this gets me.

Edit: 29%

Rootbeer

Banned
sigh, i wish i could install it today but i have to wait for my samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD that hasn't even shipped yet... :/

TxdoHawk

Can anyone confirm if there's a clean install option?

If it works anything like the Release Preview, they will give you a choice of options early on that basically entail:

- Keep my Files and Settings
- Keep my Files (this is the option that just shoves stuff into windows.old)
- Keep Nothing (this should be the format option.)

What I'm curious to see is if we're going to be able to upgrade from Release Preview with no hassles. I have seen mixed messages about this from MS reps.

If it works anything like the Release Preview, they will give you a choice of options early on that basically entail:

- Keep my Files and Settings
- Keep my Files (this is the option that shoves stuff into windows.old)
- Keep Nothing (this should be the format option.)

What I'm curious to see is if we're going to be able to upgrade from Release Preview with no hassles. I have seen mixed messages about this from MS reps.

That's what I got. I assume the $14.99 version is just an upgrade version too.

kharma45

Tempted to update my laptop but if half the gestures don't work with the trackpad would that be a detrimental move from W7?

I've a Dell Studio 1558 so I can't see Dell providing any drivers for it at this stage.

Rootbeer

Banned
If your windows key in any way locked to your microsoft account?

My windows 7 pro key is an upgrade key that I have on a microsoft account (purchased from their online store), but I want to create an all-new account for windows 8

I plan on trying to get the 39.99 upgrade from microsoft.com

How are you guys installing...thought it's not released till tomorrow? I'm assuming it's not a pirated copy lol.

BTW, can someone direct link me to purchase the upgrade and how to install via USB stick (that's supported right)?

Pretty much the same as windows 7 for me, except metro games like to crash here and there, but I'm expecting MS/nvidia/amd to improve driver support for them soon.

Ah ok, good to know. BTW, is there any sort of preload option so I can download the iso now and get the key tomorrow?

Top Bottom