• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 / RT |OT|

Le-mo

With windows 8 can I install a program in desktop mode and set a shortcut in the metro interface or do I have to install the app from the Microsoft store?

With windows 8 can I install a program in desktop mode and set a shortcut in the metro interface or do I have to install the app from the Microsoft store?

Normal programs: Install the way you like, pin to startscreen or wherever

"Metro"-Apps: Only through the store

Quick

Banned
Has anyone figured out a solution to prevent the desktop version of Chrome from disappearing from the start screen?

MCD

Did someone figure out a way to play unsupported files via Windows RT/Metro apps?

Like MKV/FLAC. MY ANIMU MUST BE SUPPORTED.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?

Yes, any shortcuts that would have been added to the old Start menu when you installed something are added to the Start screen. It uses the same location for the shortcuts as Windows 7.

Actually the program will create on the start screen, all the shortcuts it would create on the start menu.

You usually will be removing the unnecessary ones from the screen after installing rather than adding :p

Did someone figure out a way to play unsupported files via Windows RT/Metro apps?

Has to be supported by the app itself... There are already at least 1 player on the store which supports it, but costs $15 and only works on x86/x64.

Le-mo

Normal programs: Install the way you like, pin to startscreen or wherever

"Metro"-Apps: Only through the store
Edit: just saw the previous replies

Last question. Can I use my windows 8 activation key multiple times? Say I want to format my computer or upgrade the hardware will I be able to use the same key?

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Has anyone figured out a solution to prevent the desktop version of Chrome from disappearing from the start screen?
Metro version of a browser only can be used by the default browser. IE has options to change some of this behaivor though, not sure if chrome has similar options.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Actually the program will create on the start screen, all the shortcuts it would create on the start menu.

You usually will be removing the unnecessary ones from the screen after installing rather than adding :p

Has to be supported by the app itself... There are already at least 1 player on the store which supports it, but costs $15 and only works on x86/x64.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding his question but I can play MKV files just fine with the Metro video player. I just needed to install the Shark007 Win8 codec pack.

Everdred

So does it seem accurate to say that RT and Pro use the same amount of resources? Both of them have the desktop, which implies to me that all the services and stuff still need to run but they simply blocked access to launching.

Basically, I'm figuring out if RT and Pro would run the exact same on the same hardware.

TxdoHawk

Has there been any more info on why the Metro interface can only run on one monitor at a time, and how feasible it will be to patch/hack in multiple monitor support? That's what really kills Metro apps for me at the moment. They will happily let you drag a Metro app to another monitor, but the whole interface goes along with it. :/ For their boasts of how much external testing they did, I can't believe this wasn't brought up, so I really hope it's not due to some dumb limitation on how the interface works.

StudioTan

Has there been any more info on why the Metro interface can only run on one monitor at a time, and how feasible it will be to patch/hack in multiple monitor support? That's what really kills Metro apps for me at the moment. They will happily let you drag a Metro app to another monitor, but the whole interface goes along with it. :/ For their boasts of how much external testing they did, I can't believe this wasn't brought up, so I really hope it's not due to some dumb limitation on how the interface works.

My guess is it was a question of development time and it's something you'll see in the future. I think they're moving into a more frequent update cycle so I would expect we'll see yearly revisions.

I agree with you it's sorely needed.

TxdoHawk

My guess is it was a question of development time and it's something you'll see in the future. I think they're moving into a more frequent update cycle so I would expect we'll see yearly revisions.

I agree with you it's sorely needed.

#1 complaint, but also my only major complaint so far. If they fix that or someone figures out a workaround that isn't overly hack-y, I will be a happy camper.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding his question but I can play MKV files just fine with the Metro video player. I just needed to install the Shark007 Win8 codec pack.

Really? I installed the klite codec but would still only able to view mkv on the desktop players...

Will try this tonight, thank you!

gcubed

hows all the driver support on Win 8? I have an ultrabook that i want to upgrade tonight when they release it ($15 deal) for the faster start up, etc. but wanted to make sure I'm not going to hit any pain spots.

Jzero

hows all the driver support on Win 8? I have an ultrabook that i want to upgrade tonight when they release it ($15 deal) for the faster start up, etc. but wanted to make sure I'm not going to hit any pain spots.

It pretty good. Most things should install automatically but if they don't you have to go to the manufactures site and download the driver.

What about my Bink and FLC files? How can I enjoy my old 265 color palette-cycling 3D rendered chrome dragon breathing fire and also my ripped cut-scenes from my CD-Rom games? :(

gcubed

It pretty good. Most things should install automatically but if they don't you have to go to the manufactures site and download the driver.

alright cool, and this time its truly really ok to do an upgrade? or still do a clean install?

StudioTan

If I buy the upgrade version, can I do a clean install with it at all?

Yes, you'll have the option when you go to install it. I think you'll still need a previous copy of Windows on the drive but it'll allow you to format the drive and do a complete fresh install.

rukland

So I am trying to get my music to show up in the Music app and I followed all there directions and it still says I have none. Am I missing something?

Jzero

So I am trying to get my music to show up in the Music app and I followed all there directions and it still says I have none. Am I missing something?
That's weird it showed up automatically for me. I put my music in the music folder though.

That upgrade assistant works for everyone, I just used it to get the £24.99 offer here in the UK.

Here's the link to the upgrade assistant for anyone wanting to purchase the digital upgrade early.

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=262205

cool. get it guys!

just connecting most of my social sites now. feels good. just need money to buy Office 2010 for free upgrade to 2013 lol. what's a good deal that's lower than $99? mainly Home Version (without outlook)

Top Bottom