• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 / RT |OT|

Is that link safe? I'm afraid of putting my credit card info on it =(

lol. I did it and it worked for me as did others...still downloading though

That said...only in Japan do Windows 8 boxes have hentai on them lol

windows8launchday.jpg

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Is there anyway to use your gmail account instead of a hotmail/outlook account with W8 as your login?

I somewhat like and hate the idea of syncing an account as my login, But my hotmail one is worthless these days.

I've been using the RC and haven't had any major issues, I don't mind it at all. Will try and upgrade over the weekend.

Is there anyway to use your gmail account instead of a hotmail/outlook account with W8 as your login?

I somewhat like and hate the idea of syncing an account as my login, But my hotmail one is worthless these days.

I've been using the RC and haven't had any major issues, I don't mind it at all. Will try and upgrade over the weekend.

you can make gmail your microsoft id

I'm upgrading from Win 7 Ultimate. diving in headfirst with an upgrade, because i've done some upgrades using the pre release versions on test machines and all went 100% smoothly without issue. hopefully they don't take too long sending me my Media Center license key. download is just over 70%, i'm starting the install as soon as it's done.

TTOOLL

3 reasons I'm waiting:

.I'm from Brazil (everything is worse/more expensive here)
.I'm using the release preview version
.I don't know if I need an old windows key to upgrade

I'm still a long ways from midnight. Now I don't have to stay up super late.

i have two PCs to do. i'd rather have this done tonight than be fighting the world for bandwidth tomorrow. i'm running a marathon Saturday morning and i don't want to be thinking about anything but that tomorrow, if i can help it.

rukland

Ok not trying to turn this into tech support but I get this odd feeling my indexing is off. Not sure how that happened but any tips on how to turn it back on?

Thanks

Sure.

You're given a 30 day trial of Windows 8 (being able to extend that to 160 days with a command), then it'll ask you to enter a product key.

Sweet, thanks!

Now I just have to find a legal source for the WIndows 8 Pro :S My company can only provide the volumne licensed enterprise version [without a key]... that does me no good :( Not touching any "unofficial sources" with a ten-foot pole.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Haven't setup my xbox and twitter yet.

I was trying to switch my Live email address a couple of days ago but it kept telling me the address I wanted to use was unavailable. I want to keep everything uniform and using my gmail address. So frustrating.
yeah I have used my Hotmail account from years ago as my only Microsoft account. Its my xbox login, my zune login, etc..... I use it for everything. I suggest people try to get all of their stuff down to one account if you haven't already. I know if you want to use your gmail address I think you can just go to the account page and then update your email to gmail and then that will be your login. And then of course you can connect your gmail account to your Microsoft account through the permissions page or something. Looking at mine, I have flickr, google, twitter and facebook all connected. Also when I installed the Skype application recently, it gave me an option to merge my Skype account with my Microsoft account.

Thanks for the link, installing now :*) had to pause the download then resume it to get a decent dl speed. It was going to take 15 hours :O down to 10 mins now though.

keeping it as the active window seemed to substantially improve my download speed, weirdly enough. any time i left it alone the predicted download time nose dived. i just had to leave it active to bring it back down.

uninstalling software, about to hit 'restart' to continue the upgrade. expecting my rdp fun to end right there. we shall see. i'm out of here in half an hour anyways.

Any way of knowing if your trackpad will work with Win 8 Gestures?

I have a 2012 Acer using Synaptics and Elantech, supports multitouch gestures, so I assume it works

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Any way of knowing if your trackpad will work with Win 8 Gestures?

I have a 2012 Acer using Synaptics and Elantech, supports multitouch gestures, so I assume it works

I haven't been able to get the multi-touch to work on my laptop on the Enterprise version of Window 8. I need new Alps drivers. I went back to Windows 7 on it and it definitely supports multi-touch.

Haint

So what's the best way to backup a Win 7 system if I'm planning on doing a full clean install of Win 8? I'm mainly concerned about the game saves spread all over my system, as obviously not everything over the last 3 years has used Steam. I don't necessarily want to reinstall all these old games and programs as I'll probably never use/play many of them again, but I also don't want to over look something important (some document or 100+ hour save) by simply manually copying shit to an external drive.

I'm using outlook.com for emails now, my gmail is linked to it and it works a treat... I say give it a go, so clean and easy to use, chat features and all that.

Top Bottom