• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 / RT |OT|

You drag the app itself. Move your mouse to the top of the screen, and it'll change to a hand cursor. Click and drag to either the left or right side of the screen.

I've done that but it only seems to work on the desktop not metro?

I open video, go to top and drag hand to side...I have a plain blue screen in the middle and video to where I dragged it...

what are you trying to do again? snap the applications? just grab it from the top and move it to either side of the screen. (requires a 1366x768 or higher resolution).

Yeah I have 1920x1080 screen and am trying to snap a video (avi file) to the left of the screen. Seems to work in desktop mode but not metro?

Lynn616

it's up for those doing the $14.99 Windows 8 Upgrade offer of new pc/laptops.

http://www.windowsupgradeoffer.com/

our order page has the upgrade assistant ready for download.

Yes, I went to https://www.windowsupgradeoffer.com/en-US/MyOrder to check on my order and it gives you your upgrade offer promotion code and a link to the Upgrade Assistant.

Enter your code when ordering and it takes $25 off the $39.99 price.

ESD-RTM-TestCase-8-Arvato_en-US.png

Downloading now.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
OK, it seems the video snapping works with metro apps but not the desktop itself? Like I opened the marketplace and the video played but on the actual desktop nothing.
when you snap the desktop in 1/3 mode and have applications open it has preview boxes listed. If nothing is opened and you have the desktop snapped to 1/3 mode then nothing will be there, just your wallpaper. The desktop is treated as an application in metro. (also the snap stuff from windows 7 still works for desktop applications in the desktop, (50/50, maximizing by moving the window to the top etc..).

edit: windows 7 snap http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/features/snap (which still works in 8)

Quick

Banned
OK, it seems the video snapping works with metro apps but not the desktop itself? Like I opened the marketplace and the video played but on the actual desktop nothing.

On the desktop? Open the file, drag to the left or right. You'll notice a faint circle appear briefly and an outline appear to show you how it'll be sized. You can resize afterwards to your preferred fit.

This is for desktop stuff, not Metro apps.

f0lken

I understand now, its something like a bug, I had it too but then it dissapeared, just snap your video and then go to the desktop (or press Win key+D) you should have the split view then

Wozzly

special needs, sexual needs
Is only the Windows 8 Pro upgrade available to download for 39.99? I could have swore the basic was 39.99.

Blablurn

slowly getting used to it, i definitely like it. games run perfectly too. even motion joy for my dual shock 3 is still working flawlessly.

I can see it fine. So I cannot snap a video on the metro interface only desktop?

Okay. So here's the thing. Aside from DESKTOP, only METRO APPS can be snapped to the side. You can not snap a program running on the desktop. Also, a developer designed a METRO APP so you can't snap it then it'll always make itself fullsize again when you try to snap it.

I understand now, its something like a bug, I had it too but then it dissapeared, just snap your video and then go to the desktop (or press Win key+D) you should have the split view then

So this is a confirmed issue? That's weird. Was it updating or did it just update when you had that or just a set of none-reproducible circumstances?

Wozzly

special needs, sexual needs
Why would you want the basic you could get the Pro for that price?

I'm going with the Pro! I thought for some weird reason that Pro was only retail. I know lol with Pro at least I can get the WMC add on for free.

f0lken

You got to give kudos to MS, even when Apple just opened the floodgates with announcements half of the stories on every site were talking primarly of the Surface, and today is Windows, Windows, Windows everywhere

itsgreen

There is a store selling the full version for 55 euro's here, so i'll be taking advantage of that. Called to confirm it was the full version and not the upgrade version, 'No sir, it's the full version, not the upgrade'. Will yell and make a fuss for hours if they fucked up ;)

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Okay. So here's the thing. Aside from DESKTOP, only METRO APPS can be snapped to the side. You can not snap a program running on the desktop. Also, a developer designed a METRO APP so you can't snap it then it'll always make itself fullsize again when you try to snap it.

You can in a way since the desktop is treated as an app. So you can have a Metro app in 1/3 with your desktop in 2/3 mode. If you drag the Metro app to 2/3 your desktop programs will show as tiles in the 1/3 view but you can't use them. If you click one it'll switch back to 2/3 desktop, 1/3 Metro.

Fluffydelusions, if you go 1/3 with the video app the rest of your screen will be blank until you pick a second program either from the task switcher on the left side or launch something else from the Start screen.

Did you recently buy a PC my humble fellow GAFfer?

yeah, I bought an Acer laptop in August(?) and signed up for the offer like 2 days ago. All it asked for is when you bought it and from where, no keys or anything needed

EDIT: granted, it's possible that there's further verification on download, but the offer itself is super easy to get

popeutlal

Hmm... that form doesn't look like it'll take bogus info now... hmm.

Well the reason I registered was because I saw a message on best buy's site which stated that you could buy the Galaxy Note you'll be eligible for Win 8 upgrade. The message was then removed. I just wanted to see if it'll work....it did.

I think your in the same situation as me. You need the Alps drivers, which there are none yet I think.

i installed a dell driver. lol. it has reverse scrolling in browser. i can side swipe to bring up the side bar. unsure if i could with the synaptic/elantech since i never tried. i can edge swipe to change window

Really? I installed the klite codec but would still only able to view mkv on the desktop players...

Will try this tonight, thank you!

Maybe I'm misunderstanding his question but I can play MKV files just fine with the Metro video player. I just needed to install the Shark007 Win8 codec pack.

I uninstalled Klite, installed Shark's W8 codecs, but mkv files still doesn't show up in metro video app. It does play .flv files, which i'm not sure if it did before...

WMP is playing those files fine (it already did on klite, though)

yeah, I bought an Acer laptop in August(?) and signed up for the offer like 2 days ago. All it asked for is when you bought it and from where, no keys or anything needed

EDIT: granted, it's possible that there's further verification on download, but the offer itself is super easy to get

It was probably a good thing I talked myself out of hording Windows 8 codes. How many PCs does a man need right? ;_;

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I'm having trouble deleting the Windows.old folder. Getting a lot of errors from TrustedInstaller, and all of the results through Google are only relevant for Windows 7 (8 seems to have different options for Security). Anyone have any idea how to bypass this and free up 20GB?

Tuck

You know, I gotta say it - Microsoft really improved their website. Their main webpage and the new windows page are both so much nicer than the old versions. The office site is still fuck ugly, but they'll get there I guess. Very impressed.

Really feels like they are trying to unify all their brands, and I love it.

Jzero

So, I'm having trouble deleting the Windows.old folder. Getting a lot of errors from TrustedInstaller, and all of the results through Google are only relevant for Windows 7 (8 seems to have different options for Security). Anyone have any idea how to bypass this and free up 20GB?

You could reset Windows so that no old files remain.

iKh0nl0eTFp9Q.png

Top Bottom