• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 / RT |OT|

MrBig

Downloaded the upgrade assistant, it offered me the $40 RTM upgrade and gave the option to retain personal files but not to migrate apps. Looks like I wont have to go through the hassle of downloading a W7 ISO and installing that over the Release Preview (new computer, never put W7 on it).

Gav47

So what's the best way to backup a Win 7 system if I'm planning on doing a full clean install of Win 8? I'm mainly concerned about the game saves spread all over my system, as obviously not everything over the last 3 years has used Steam. I don't necessarily want to reinstall all these old games and programs as I'll probably never use/play many of them again, but I also don't want to over look something important (some document or 100+ hour save) by simply manually copying shit to an external drive.

GameSave Manager will collect your game saves and archive them for you and even put them back in the right place again on your new install.

Enco

Aaaand done!

That was relatively easy and painless.

All my stuff is in place (from my 5 seconds of looking around) and it's looking good.

Any way of knowing if your trackpad will work with Win 8 Gestures?

I have a 2012 Acer using Synaptics and Elantech, supports multitouch gestures, so I assume it works

i installed synaptics but it doesn't even do the regular gestures in the browser. i'll install elantech to see what happens.
EDIT: wait. i never installed. the window closed one me lol.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
So what's the best way to backup a Win 7 system if I'm planning on doing a full clean install of Win 8? I'm mainly concerned about the game saves spread all over my system, as obviously not everything over the last 3 years has used Steam. I don't necessarily want to reinstall all these old games and programs as I'll probably never use/play many of them again, but I also don't want to over look something important (some document or 100+ hour save) by simply manually copying shit to an external drive.

Well the absolute safest way is to use a disc image back program to clone the whole drive. Something like the one from Acronis but I think there are free programs you can use but they require you to be more tech savvy.

Aside from that I usually just copy important folders.

Games (I have all my games in dedicated folder on my C drive)
Program Files
Program Files (x86)
ProgramData
Users

That should have everything you need to backup. There's a lot of junk you won't need either but you can through and manually delete stuff that doesn't need to be backed up.

When copying you can use something like SyncToy to make sure the copies are mirrors of the original folders.

EDIT: A lot of games don't need to be reinstalled to run, I just run the .exe from the old folder.

Dipswitch

I'm rocking a new rig that's only about a month old and I'm also gonna run an in place upgrade. First time I've done that ever I think, but I really can't be arsed re-installing everything all over again for the second time in 2 months.

I figure the machine is still largely cruft free, so I'm hoping it's fairly painless. I'll grab the upgrade tomorrow though - jumping through hoops to grab an OS upgrade seems wrong somehow ; )

I'm using the preview, is it worth it to go ahead and make the upgrade to Pro or would I be okay for continuing the preview version for a while? Any big differences between preview and Pro retail?

Blablurn

unbenanntt2qd9.png

my work is done!

I'm using the preview, is it worth it to go ahead and make the upgrade to Pro or would I be okay for continuing the preview version for a while? Any big differences between preview and Pro retail?

Preview doesn't get apps for RTM version, and it expires in Jan. You should upgrade to Pro asap.

Dang, so far it seems like gestures on trackpad are hit-or-miss depending on your system.

EDIT: still gonna download tonight, will let people know my experience

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
unbenanntt2qd9.png

my work is done!

Just in case some people don't know, if you click the little minus sign in the bottom right it'll zoom your Start screen way out. You can launch stuff from that view or if you right-click a group you can name it.

Jzero

Has anyone received their Media Center key in their email yet?

Installed 8 Pro on my living room PC, and scrolling through the desktop feels...odd. I think I'll go out and buy an USB trackpad
Get the one that i mentioned in the OP, others will not work as well.

Quick

Banned
I'm trying to decide on a Twitter app for Windows 8. I currently have MetroTwit, but I'm looking for other recommendations.

Can I create a group of tiles using an app that is not installed in the system? Like eclipse is just an executable I launched in win7. Also where is windows explorer??

TTOOLL

were you asked to input any other old key during the install? (for those who upgraded from the release preview...)

f0lken

Can I create a group of tiles using an app that is not installed in the system? Like eclipse is just an executable I launched in win7. Also where is windows explorer??

Yes, and Windows Explorer it is in the desktop, or you can right click on the low left corner from everywhere

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
yes you can pin any kind of application to the start screen. And windows explorer has been renamed to file explorer. You can just search for it from the start screen (just type). And it should be pinned the taskbar as well. Also if you just want an all applications list, just right click on the start screen and click in the lower right corner.

But basically, use search. Where is Device Manager? Type device manager on the start screen and filter by settings. How do I change my mouse speed? Type mouse speed on the start screen and filter by settings. Where is notepad? type notepad on the startscreen and hit enter (default search is applications). Want to update your drivers? Type drivers on the startscreen and filter by settings. Looking for a certain file? type it in on the start screen and filter by file. Want to search the music app for a song? type it into the start screen and changet he filter to the music app. Want to search the web? type it into the start screen and filter it using the IE app, the bing app, the google app etc... You get the idea. You don't need to look through menus to find stuff, just search for it. (I have been doing this since vista, i'm amazed more people don't do this). Search has been a very powerful function in windows for awhile, and 8 has improved it a lot. (well some people don't like that apps, settings and files are separated but whatever). The ability to search within these new applications is awesome. very useful.

and since the startscreen can be accessed with the windows key, its the same as vista and 7 when on the desktop. Win Key + Start Typing.

Quick

Banned
OK, now let's say I want to watch a movie (avi format) in metro. How can I do that in the split screen I've seen?

You're talking about this, right?

windows-8-split-screen.jpg

If so, open the video app, move your mouse at the top of the screen, the cursor changes into a hand, then drag it to either side of the screen. You can resize the amount of space you allot for that one screen.

Windu

OK, now let's say I want to watch a movie (avi format) in metro. How can I do that in the split screen I've seen?
well first you need to have a 1366x768 or better resolution. If you have that, either grab it from the top and slide it to either side (also, grab an app from the task switcher on the left as well.) Or just go to the task switcher and right click on the app and select snap left or right.

well first you need to have a 1366x768 or better resolution. If you have that, either grab it from the top and slide it to either side (also, grab an app from the task switcher on the left as well.) Or just go to the task switcher and right click on the app and select snap left or right.

I have a 1080p screen. But what video app? I have/use vlc in win7. I opened the videos tile in win8 but it brings me to the market.

senahorse

Just started downloading, estimated time 2 minutes :D

Also, I am surprised the upgrade assistant is letting me download as you're not meant to be able to upgrade from Win7 Enterprise, hope it works :/

Windu

I have a 1080p screen. But what video app? I have/use vlc in win7. I opened the videos tile in win8 but it brings me to the market.
well I personally still use VLC in 8 but if you want to use the Microsoft built in video application with your own videos then you move to the left when you are at the video start page (or right click). there is a option to browse your file system (or just go to file explorer on the desktop and find what you want, the default application for videos is that app.) (or search for the video and filter by file).

Quick

Banned

Scroll to the left, you'll see "My Videos".

Is there a way to pin chrome to start without metro?

I don't like metro chrome.

Go to "C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\Application", right click on "chrome.exe" and click "Pin to Start." I did find an issue where it vanishes, so it's not exactly permanent.

Quick

Banned
OK, I see where I can drag to the left and such but when I do it seems I can only drag the video within the app itself? Like I want to go back to and open other stuff but it won't let me?

You drag the app itself. Move your mouse to the top of the screen, and it'll change to a hand cursor. Click and drag to either the left or right side of the screen.

Top Bottom