• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 / RT |OT|

Sordid

I'm having trouble deleting the Windows.old folder. Getting a lot of errors from TrustedInstaller, and all of the results through Google are only relevant for Windows 7 (8 seems to have different options for Security). Anyone have any idea how to bypass this and free up 20GB?

I'm getting the same, even though I told the upgrade assistant to keep nothing it made a 60GB Windows.old folder. Managed to delete most of it but ~13GB just won't budge :/

I'm having trouble deleting the Windows.old folder. Getting a lot of errors from TrustedInstaller, and all of the results through Google are only relevant for Windows 7 (8 seems to have different options for Security). Anyone have any idea how to bypass this and free up 20GB?

You have to use the clean up utility to remove those files...

clean disk manager doesn't work?

I'm getting the same, even though I told the upgrade assistant to keep nothing it made a 60GB Windows.old folder. Managed to delete most of it but ~13GB just won't budge :/

Maybe you guess could see if this slick util works in Windows 8: http://www.filehippo.com/download_unlocker/

sca2511

Not sure if it's been the question has been posted yet, but how do you remove the watermark on the lower right corner of the desktop?

Windows 8 is pretty refreshing and the search feature is surprisingly quick.

Troll

Banned
Not sure if it's been the question has been posted yet, but how do you remove the watermark on the lower right corner of the desktop?

Are you running RTM? It sounds like you have a preview build.

derFeef

A6FbE41CcAAO4gz.jpg:large

From Times Square, W8 launch thingy.

bedlamite

The Ars Technica review of Win8 mentioned the jarring disconnect between the Metro and desktop interfaces, and I can totally see where that's coming from, but I'm rather liking Win8. Once you get used to the gesture-based navigation and start to use the corners, you get stuff done quick. I'll still need to pick up a trackpad (JZero's Logitech recommendation looks good, but pricey!), though.

Nemesis_

Installing now,

The compatibility thing said that Blue tooth drivers and ALPS Touch Pad won't work with Windows 8

What are the implications of this?

Try rebooting, I gained a water mark after activating WMC, but it went away after a reboot.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Installing now,

The compatibility thing said that Blue tooth drivers and ALPS Touch Pad won't work with Windows 8

What are the implications of this?
just use windows 7 drivers if it doesn't download them automatically.

Weenerz

Banned
Where is the windows 8 upgrade assistant iso being saved at? Co-worker of mine uses his cell phone for internet and is unable to download the 2gb file so I'm gonna take it to him tomorrow.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
yeah I found it weird for the first week or so. Don't notice the back and forth from the desktop to metro anymore. Been using it everyday since the end of February.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
NYT app launched:
- No search function
- Same paywall as every other OS
- Tons of ads in between every article
+ Very nice presentation

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Half-baked app? :-/

Yes, it's a Windows 8 App, that's why I posted about it in the Windows 8 thread.

Aren't there some Times employees that post on here? Just send them a PM telling them to fix it for you'll ban them.

Even if I could search, I wouldn't be able to read half the articles due to the paywall, I'm just being a shit disturber and moaning about how the vast majority of the apps on the store are similarly half-baked.

Troll

Banned
Yes, it's a Windows 8 App, that's why I posted about it in the Windows 8 thread.

Even if I could search, I wouldn't be able to read half the articles due to the paywall, I'm just being a shit disturber and moaning about how the vast majority of the apps on the store are similarly half-baked.

Now that I think of it the app on the iPad sort of sucks, so I'm not sure what I was expecting.

There definitely need more apps. I'm sure they'll come in time however.

Installed:
Wikipedia, engadget, allrecipes, ebay, newegg, tuneradio,iheartradio,netflix

TxdoHawk

Downloading now, fast too, love those MS servers. Has it been confirmed yet if the upgrade will go from Release Candidate with no issues? Only thing I ran into so far is that I wasn't allowed to keep my apps...which is fine, I have barely been running the RC a week so I hardly have anything on here.

Top Bottom