• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 / RT |OT|

Just installed W8. Really like how quick it moves... obviously the apps will come with time but its a bit sparse right now. I'm gonna be in Desktop mode most of the time too. I will say that I'm moving pretty well through W8 despite not partaking in any of the preview builds nor have I read about W8 at all.

So far, so good. I'm using it on my laptop btw.

surly

Banned
So far, so shit......

I'm trying to pay via PayPal. It all went through, but then it took me back to the screen where your billing address etc. is shown and it said "We couldn't process your order" at the top. Every time I click "Buy" it just goes straight back to this screen.

I have received an email from PayPal that says: -

You submitted an order in the amount of 24.99 GBP to Arvato Distribution GmbH
Thanks for using PayPal. Please note that this is not a charge. Your account will be charged when the merchant processes your payment. You may receive multiple emails as the merchant processes your order.

Your funds will be transferred when the merchant processes your payment. Any money in your PayPal account at that time will be used before any other payment source.

To see the full transaction details, log in to your PayPal account.

It may take a few moments for this transaction to appear in your account.
So what now? If I try paying by a credit card instead, am I still going to get charged via PayPal at some point?

EDIT - When I tried changing to a different payment method, the drop-down list where you select one was completely blank. :|

So far, so shit......

I'm trying to pay via PayPal. It all went through, but then it took me back to the screen where your billing address etc. is shown and it said "We couldn't process your order" at the top. Every time I click "Buy" it just goes straight back to this screen.

I have received an email from PayPal that says: -

So what now? If I try paying by a credit card instead, am I still going to get charged via PayPal at some point?

Did you click accept terms and condition? (on lower corner). Pay Pal hang for me on the first time but it when through 2nd time. I don't have Windows 7 install on this computer, here hoping I don't have to call Microsoft because I only have OEM key.

Big Chungus

I just got a free copy of Windows 8 from my school (MSDN), if I install it on my current pc and decide to build a new pc in 6 months, will the license transfer over or would I have to buy a new copy?

scotcheggz

I just bought win8 and I'm almost finished downloading, is everyone here doing a fresh install? I still have reservations of just upgrading and keeping all my files and program's and stuff, but then downloading a couple hundred gig of steam games doesn't sound appealing either (or would i have to do that anyway?) Old habits die hard I guess and upgrading doesn't feel right lol.

I just bought win8 and I'm almost finished downloading, is everyone here doing a fresh install? I still have reservations of just upgrading and keeping all my files and program's and stuff, but then downloading a couple hundred gig of steam games doesn't sound appealing either (or would i have to do that anyway?) Old habits die hard I guess and upgrading doesn't feel right lol.

I upgraded no problems. Everything was there and worked fine.

Dipswitch

My upgrade install went pretty smoothly. Only thing I've needed to re-install so far is AMD Catalyst control panel.

I've just now realized I can snap a Metro app beside my desktop - never realized you could do that since my aging laptop running the CP has a max resolution of 1280x720. Now to find some good resource monitoring apps.....

iLoveUPS

Neo Member
Got an error after going through the installation process and my laptop is now having the previous version of windows restored.

Anyone else experience this?

Wazzim

Banned
Seems like the Dutch version is bugged. My roommate has his W8 in English and some apps that don't work on mine laptop do work on that of him. (Mahjong from the store doesn't work on my W8 for example)

He also has far more apps than me, only because he has his set up for the English language. It isn't like his Hotmail is from the UK/US or anything too.

What the hell MS.

EDIT: Changed my primary language to English (US) and now everything is fine and all the apps work/are available too.

MrBig

Yeah, I just tried to purchase it using a CC and I got a "check your payment information" error and couldn't get it to go through. Better wait until tomorrow.

What the fuck, checked my account and I have pending charges from these attempts. The upgrade assistant gave no indication that it charged my card, that it even had my correct information, or gave me any any information about anything, and I received no emails.

f0lken

Seems like the Dutch version is bugged. My roommate has his W8 in English and some apps that don't work on mine laptop do work on that of him. (Mahjong from the store doesn't work on my W8 for example)

He also has far more apps than me, only because he has his set up for the English language. It isn't like his Hotmail is from the UK/US or anything too.

What the hell MS.

EDIT: Changed my primary language to English (US) and now everything is fine and all the apps work/are available too.

You don't need to change your system language, there is an option in the settings charm for searching apps on your language or on all

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
i1aRr9qjIXJIf.png

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/upgrade-to-windows-8

bob page

Holy shit, Homegroup streaming with Windows 8 works flawlessly. Only had to enable one setting for media streaming to instantly get videos on my PS3.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
NeoGAF seems to load really, really slowly in IE10. It's a shame, because I'm falling in love with this fullscreen browsing.

sca2511

I upgraded (not a clean install) and everything seems fine on my laptop. On my main PC, I'll probably do a clean install though.

Another question, every time I open up IE, it goes back to desktop and launches it. Is that supposed to happen?

TxdoHawk

So yeah, as Microsoft promised, you can use the upgrade copy on a Preview version and it won't prompt you for a previous legit key or anything. Surprising.

strata8

NeoGAF seems to load really, really slowly in IE10. It's a shame, because I'm falling in love with this fullscreen browsing.

My Wi-Fi chip has a driver issue or something that causes it to load everything incredibly slowly. I have the plug in the ethernet whenever I'm using Windows 8 to get decent speeds :(

Windu

Holy shit, Homegroup streaming with Windows 8 works flawlessly. Only had to enable one setting for media streaming to instantly get videos on my PS3.
I haven't noticed anything different with homegroups from 7.

I had to retry the install after it failed the first time... it didn't much like me having an NVidia graphics card and an AMD one. After disabling the NVidia card I worked.

Loving it so far!

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Somehow this thread is a lot more positive than I expected it to be :p

gcubed

got it on my zenbook prime. Looks beautiful on the screen. I had the preview on my PC but the touchpad makes metro not terrible.

Missing some device driver which i dont know what it is, any way to find out? Also, no intel wireless drivers for windows 8? It removed my bluetooth stuff and there is nothing to re-install

Windu

got it on my zenbook prime. Looks beautiful on the screen. I had the preview on my PC but the touchpad makes metro not terrible.

Missing some device driver which i dont know what it is, any way to find out? Also, no intel wireless drivers for windows 8? It removed my bluetooth stuff and there is nothing to re-install
search for troubleshooter in settings and go to hardware and sound and then hardware and devices. A scan should come up what is missing. You can also go to device manager.

(also since you are missing something, the alert center (the flag) probably is trying to tell you something.)

gcubed

search for troubleshooter in settings and go to hardware and sound and then hardware and devices. A scan should come up what is missing. You can also go to device manager.

(also since you are missing something, the alert center (the flag) probably is trying to tell you something.)

its alerted me about the intel bluetooth wireless highspeed that it had me remove before upgrading. So i'm guessing thats what the missing device is.

I can't find a win8 driver package for it on intel's site. I can find a wireless package for it on lenovo's site, but meh, i'm not sure on that one

Top Bottom