• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 / RT |OT|

Gaf, show your Win8 desktop! Easy way to do it is hold windows key then hit print screen button. The screenshot will be in your pictures/screenshots. Here is mine:

4Mgwl.jpg

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Do all the Xbox for Windows games support the 360 controller?
I think it is on a game by game basis. I know that boat game when I played it in the CP had controller support.
I'm sure this has been asked but I couldn't find it yet:

Any estimate on what time I can buy/start downloading Win8?
midnight. but you might want to check now, some people are getting it.

th3dude

I think it is on a game by game basis. I know that boat game when I played it in the CP had controller support.

midnight. but you might want to check now, some people are getting it.

A new era of PCs built for Windows 8 and Windows RT will be available shortly.

Boo. Any other links that might let me in to download?

sca2511

Gaf, show your Win8 desktop! Easy way to do it is hold windows key then hit print screen button. The screenshot will be in your pictures/screenshots. Here is mine:
How did you categorize each column of tiles?

I downloaded Chrome Dev build and it's not opening up in metro, only in desktop. It's set as my default browser too. Anyone know how to make it open in metro?

edit:
actually nevermind, got the Chrome thing.

Windu

I downloaded Chrome Dev build and it's not opening up in metro, only in desktop. It's set as my default browser too. Anyone know how to make it open in metro?
zoom out on the start screen (minus button in lower right or ctrl+mouse wheel (or - button) (or do a zoom out gesture on your trackpad if it supports it). Right click a group and rename. (also other applications support this feature, like the photos application). And I think someone said something about chrome beta having a option to change the behaviors on how it opens.

edit:
actually nevermind, got the Chrome thing.

Hold ctrl them zoom out with the mouse wheel then the screen will minimize. From there click on the column and add name :)

Edit: beaten

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Mine. I'm really enjoying it. Had a fun time removing all the internet links to manuals in the All Apps screen too. :\

Yeah, anything that would have been added into your old Start menu when you install something gets added to the Metro Start screen by the installer. If you need to find those again when you unpin them you can right-click in on Start screen and select All Apps from the bottom. It will be sorted into headings based on the root folder name alphabetically.

Weenerz

Banned
Anyone know of a good social app that does twitter, facebook, linkedin and possibly instagram?

Also, best RSS feeder?

Also also, live tile email/news/social feeds would rock.

gcubed

its alerted me about the intel bluetooth wireless highspeed that it had me remove before upgrading. So i'm guessing thats what the missing device is.

I can't find a win8 driver package for it on intel's site. I can find a wireless package for it on lenovo's site, but meh, i'm not sure on that one

i found all of the drivers on Asus' website. All golden

jagowar

Anybody get Toy Soldiers yet? Really interested if its the real game (and not the crappy wp7 version). To me this is exactly the type of game that should be ported for a touch screen.

Commodore

Hmm, running Win8 on boot camp via an iMac, had the release preview beforehand, worked fine, installed the release just a bit ago, and now I can't run the Windows Boot Camp software to get the Apple drivers, says its incompatible. Any ideas?

Hmmm...for some reason it says Toy Soldiers will not work on my device.

I wonder why that is.

Edit: Now that I've spent a couple months with Windows 8 I can't go back to 7 unless I have to at work.

I remember the first time I pulled the Developer Preview down day 1 and couldn't stand it for many of the main reasons most people did (no start menu). Now I love it.

Windu

I have a feeling that Microsoft is going to release a Xbox Media Box that runs on ARM and WinRT. You will be able to play these type of XBLA games and use all of the media services. I don't think they can compete in the living room with such an expensive option like a video game console. Most people just want to watch movies and listen to music, they don't need such a powerful box. And of course there will be the next XBOX as well (which will have an app store). Should be interesting to watch.
It's a little weird that they have these per-app webpages, but no actual online marketplace.
the OS doesn't officially release till midnight, i'm sure you will be able to browse the store on the web when that time hits.

OK this is bizarre, installed without a hitch and was playing around with it until I had to leave.

An hour later, I crack my laptop open at a Starbucks and bam! No wireless devices detected, no track pad, and it's insanely slow... wtf???

Gonna try it once I get back home, thankfully I installed it onto a USB beforehand

It's a little weird that they have these per-app webpages, but no actual online marketplace.

Does the developer get to keep 100% of their profits this way? I see a lot of devs opting for this if that's the case. It sucks because MS's store does actually give the most money back to devs but mainly because it's going to be a shittier user experience for users since they probably won't be able to tap into the store's built-in updates and things like that. I'll admit that that's an assumption but when I browsed the retail site ofr ABS (on Win 7), the app doesn't even list Windows 8 as a supported OS.

PG2G

Does the developer get to keep 100% of their profits this way? I see a lot of devs opting for this if that's the case. It sucks because MS's store does actually give the most money back to devs but mainly because it's going to be a shittier user experience for users since they probably won't be able to tap into the store's built-in updates and things like that. I'll admit that that's an assumption but when I browsed the retail site ofr ABS (on Win 7), the app doesn't even list Windows 8 as a supported OS.

All of these apps are in the Windows store. I think he is wondering why you can't access the complete store (search and all) via the web as opposed to using the app.

jagowar

It's a port from the X360 version with added features.

That's good to know.... but right now it only lists x86. Hopefully it will also support arm (don't want to buy it now because my surface will be arriving tomorrow incase there is a separate one to buy for arm).

Windu

Does wi 8 reformat your OS when u have win7?
you can dual boot with W8. Need the full version though. (system builder/oem). When upgrading you can reformat if you want though, but you still need a previous license installed. (need to do the install process inside of windows, can't do it without).

Is there anyway I can boot the Windows 8 installer on a flash drive while reformatting? I'm thinking of just ordering it on disc and having it shipped to me.

Mii

Banned
The Windows 8 upgrade assistant is telling me I don't have an upgrade option even though I am on Windows 7 Enterprise. I can only keep nothing during the install. Is this true?

My current set up is OS and all software is installed on my SSD C drive and documents,videos, music, etc are kept on HDD drives D and E. I have more than enough space to back up my C drive, but no idea of the best way to go about doing this in an OS transition. Any recommendations?

scotcheggz

I came across a bit of a snag, I upgraded to win8 and it went through the whole process, everything smooth until it got to the personilsation screen and my mouse wasn't working, no light at all, checked it in all the USB ports, nothing, there wasn't a mouse cursor either that I could see. I (foolishly) hit the restart button thinking it would just put me back at the personilsation screen but it bought up a screen saying the installation failed and it restored my 7 installation. Anyone else had a similar problem? I'm currently debating wether or not to flip my table here!

All of these apps are in the Windows store. I think he is wondering why you can't access the complete store (search and all) via the web as opposed to using the app.

Ahh... I see. I totally read his post wrong. Yeah, I raised the concern a couple of days ago as well. Some people suspected it would come online today or at launch but since it's already launched globally, it doesn't seem to be the case. I beginning to doubt they'll have one at this rate which goes against the excellent work they did with the Xbox Marketplace. It makes no sense.

MrBig

Is there anyway I can boot the Windows 8 installer on a flash drive while reformatting? I'm thinking of just ordering it on disc and having it shipped to me.

After you go through the upgrade assistant you will have the option to get the ISO and make a bootable flash drive/CD/whatever.

Windu

Ahh... I see. I totally read his post wrong. Yeah, I raised the concern a couple of days ago as well. Some people suspected it would come online today or at launch but since it's already launched globally, it doesn't seem to be the case. I beginning to doubt they'll have one at this rate which goes against the excellent work they did with the Xbox Marketplace. It makes no sense.
8 doesn't officially launch till midnight.
The Windows 8 upgrade assistant is telling me I don't have an upgrade option even though I am on Windows 7 Enterprise. I can only keep nothing during the install. Is this true?

My current set up is OS and all software is installed on my SSD C drive and documents,videos, music, etc are kept on HDD drives D and E. I have more than enough space to back up my C drive, but no idea of the best way to go about doing this in an OS transition. Any recommendations?
I don't think you can upgrade from enterprise to regular windows. think you have to go to windows 8 enterprise.

edit: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj203353.aspx

Doffen

He's talking about a Windows Store version of this: http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store

And here's some basic info regarding what you are talking about:

The registration fee for individuals is $49 USD, with a $99 USD fee for companies. The revenue share is 70%, but when an app achieves $25,000 USD in revenue—aggregated across all sales in every market—that changes to 80% revenue share for the rest of the lifetime of the app.

Top Bottom