• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 / RT |OT|

The Windows 8 upgrade assistant is telling me I don't have an upgrade option even though I am on Windows 7 Enterprise. I can only keep nothing during the install. Is this true?

My current set up is OS and all software is installed on my SSD C drive and documents,videos, music, etc are kept on HDD drives D and E. I have more than enough space to back up my C drive, but no idea of the best way to go about doing this in an OS transition. Any recommendations?

I believe there's no upgrade path from ent to pro and std... according to wikipedia at least.

Mii

Banned
I believe there's no upgrade path from ent to pro and std... according to wikipedia at least.

It does seem to give me the prompt to order the update digital download, but does require me to keep nothing. If thats the case, what is the best way for me to proceed in order to keep my software (windows 8 enterprise is not an option) that is outside the normal update path?

zedge

Installing now..

If I do option one will my mouse/kb no longer work?

win8.PNG

kms_md

downloading now - only significant incompatibility was Microsoft Security Essentials. it recommended i check the developers website.

Keyouta

So, sort of off topic, but on Microsoft's website for Office, it says that if you buy it now, you get 2013 for free.

I just recently acquired a copy of Microsoft Office University 2010, so if I install that am I eligible for the upgrade?

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
So, sort of off topic, but on Microsoft's website for Office, it says that if you buy it now, you get 2013 for free.

I just recently acquired a copy of Microsoft Office University 2010, so if I install that am I eligible for the upgrade?
Windows RT devices (ARM Chipset, like an iPad, can't run normal windows applications) comes with office student and home RT. http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/home-and-student/office-home-student-rt-preview-FX103210361.aspx. Windows 8 does not, unless the OEM bundles it.

edit: I totally misread that post. lol

http://blogs.office.com/b/office-news/archive/2012/10/11/office-reaches-rtm.aspx

@derdude2000, Office 365 University replaces what is today Office 2010 University, so the rumors are correct that there is no longer a "University" branded permanent license. Students who want a permanent license could continue to use Office 2010 University or purchase Office Home & Student 2013 (or a Windows RT device). Stated, Office 365 University is a pretty amazing deal - $79.99 USD for a four year subscription - there is no more cost effective way to get Office, and you get so many more benefits with the subscription (extra SkyDrive storage, Skype minutes, use of all the apps, all upgrades, use on your devices, on-demand access).

@derdude2000, any perpetual license (be it 2010, 2007 or 2013) is yours to use forever (in perpetuity). As noted below, the new University subscription is an incredible deal - just $1.67 per month for all the Office apps, free upgrades, extra SkyDrive storage, Skype minutes, usage on 2 devices as well as on-demand access for up to eight years.

and office 365 University. http://blogs.office.com/b/office-ne...ducation-students.aspx?WT.mc_ID=soc_fb_office

strata8

The worst part is knowing that those apps will never see a $.99 sale :(

It's a bit sad that Apple has conditioned consumers to expect most games for $0.99. That's fine for some simple games, but even Angry Birds has a ton of content and deserves more than that IMO.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
http://www.abload.de/img/screenshot2paplw.png

probably just congested. it'll come
you might want to check your email.

btw, by default email notifications are not turned on. (go to settings while in the email app and then account).

Anyone having problems with EA's Origin after the upgrade to Win 8? It crashes when I log in and now I can't access any of my EA games. I tried reinstalling, as well as running under Win 7 compatibility mode, but its still not working.

zedge

Lol...so I uninstalled the usb 3 drivers.. after a restart I can no longer enter my pw as the keyboard no longer works... nice job Microsoft... !#$@!$

Krakatoa

How do I disable it?

To remove the “Test mode Windows” message in Windows, use the following methods.

Method 1.Click Start, and then type cmd in the Search box.
2.Right-click cmd.exe under Programs, and then click Run as administrator.
3.At the command prompt, type the following text, and then press ENTER:

bcdedit /set TESTSIGNING OFF
4.Close the Command Prompt window, and then restart your computer.
Note If this method does not resolve the issue, go to Method 2.

Method 2.Click Start, and then type cmd in the Search box.
3.At the command prompt, type the following commands, and press ENTER after each command:

bcdedit.exe -set loadoptions ENABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS

bcdedit.exe -set TESTSIGNING OFF

Jzero

Lol...so I uninstalled the usb 3 drivers.. after a restart I can no longer enter my pw as the keyboard no longer works... nice job Microsoft... !#$@!$
I wouldn't have uninstalled it. It wasn't forcing you to do it. It just said that you should since it wouldn't work.

Really like the Metro aesthetic- while I anticipate spending most of my time in Desktop mode, the functionality of the apps is nice. The key to the growth of W8 will be more and more apps. Still have to carry over some of my programs... I was an ancient Windows XP adherent till now.

MrBig

W8 has native USB 3.0 drivers, it should have worked. You should just be able to plug the keyboard into a USB 2.0 port if you have any.

Troll

Banned
You can just download some usb drivers, that should get it to work. I have no idea why they would put you in that position in the first place though, good news is you're the only one that it's happened to.

Bullza2o

To remove the “Test mode Windows” message in Windows, use the following methods.

Method 1.Click Start, and then type cmd in the Search box.
3.At the command prompt, type the following text, and then press ENTER:

bcdedit /set TESTSIGNING OFF
Note If this method does not resolve the issue, go to Method 2.

Method 2.Click Start, and then type cmd in the Search box.
3.At the command prompt, type the following commands, and press ENTER after each command:

bcdedit.exe -set loadoptions ENABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS

bcdedit.exe -set TESTSIGNING OFF

Alright thanks! Method 1 worked. Any idea why mine was permanent?

Jzero

You can just download some usb drivers, that should get it to work. I have no idea why they would put you in that position in the first place though, good news is you're the only one that it's happened to.

Also you could of used the on screen keyboard to log in.

CaLe

Where did you guys purchase it from ?

I have windows 7 and I want to upgrade. Where should I buy it from ?

I see some of you are downloading it now...

Top Bottom