• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 / RT |OT|

clav

Me.

I'll post again when my installation finishes.

I at first did go through the setup process under Release Preview. Went all the way to the "install" button. No fuss.

Clean installation done.

<3 SSD.

Activated.

Clean installed from Release Preview (from BIOS boot) using the $40 key. Wiped all partitions by selecting "Custom", the same way it is done in Windows Vista and 7 installs.

You heard it from me.

Hopefully, other people will have the same experience.

Commodore

My start screen so far.

start.jpg

Also I'm glad Xbox Music pulled in all my Zune Pass stuff.

I'm now finding out the XBOX Music won't take all my music on my external harddrive. I've kept all my media on an external harddrive for years now, and suddenly they choose to not allow media from an external source? Bah!

f0lken

I'm now finding out the XBOX Music won't take all my music on my external harddrive. I've kept all my media on an external harddrive for years now, and suddenly they choose to not allow media from an external source? Bah!

There is a workaround for this, let me search it

Whogie

Clean installation done.

<3 SSD.

Activated.

Clean installed from Release Preview (from BIOS boot) using the $40 key. Wiped all partitions by selecting "Custom", the same way it is done in Windows Vista and 7 installs.

You heard it from me.

Did you have a Windows install before you installed Release Preview though?
http://www.theverge.com/2012/7/6/3140976/windows-8-release-preview-upgrade-windows-8-pro

There is a workaround for this, let me search it

THIS!

The workaround for this one is simple. Create a shortcut on your desktop that points to the removable device. Give it an obvious name (like &#8220;SD&#8221; in my case) and then move it to the root of C: (as in C:\SD) or somewhere else convenient. Then, add that location (the shortcut) to the library. Voila! It works. On the Samsung tablet, this is in fact the only location I use for the Videos library.

Jzero

Clean installation done.

<3 SSD.

Activated.

You heard it from me.

I'll add it to the OP when i get confirmation from other people who have done it.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
I'm dying to try Windows 8 out on my Macbook Air, but nobody at my school seems to want to give me a Dreamspark username, and I can't download the Enterprise trial from the website due to a Java error. I'm so envious of you guys.

Reave

Probably a dumb question, but after installing W8 on my laptop, I can't find a Metro version of IE10. Is there supposed to be one, or do we only get the desktop version?

Probably a dumb question, but after installing W8 on my laptop, I can't find a Metro version of IE10. Is there supposed to be one, or do we only get the desktop version?

It has to be your default browser otherwise will just show the desktop version.

On W8, the default browser gets elected to be the metro browser (even if it currently doesn't provide a metro version).

Chrome and Firefox already have metro versions if you use their beta builds.

surly

Banned
So can I do a clean install with the $40 upgrade? I have heard yes and no from different people.
Yes. You can completely wipe/hose existing partition(s) from within the Windows 8 setup and do a fresh install. I've just done exactly that, going from XP to 8 on an old laptop.

I've been messing about with Windows 8 for a few hours on a laptop and oddly, I like it much more than when I used it on my desktop even though I'm using a mouse with the laptop (and it doesn't have a touch screen or anything) so it shouldn't really feel any different. Perhaps it's because the laptop is old and so the increase in speed is more noticeable.

Anyone know how to create shortcuts to apps on the "Metro" screen if the app is not listed in "all apps"?

Yes. You can completely wipe/hose existing partition(s) from within the Windows 8 setup and do a fresh install. I've just done exactly that, going from XP to 8 on an old laptop.

I've been messing about with Windows 8 for a few hours on a laptop and oddly, I like it much more than when I used it on my desktop even though I'm using a mouse with the laptop (and it doesn't have a touch screen or anything) so it shouldn't really feel any different.

Anyone know how to create shortcuts to apps on the "Metro" screen if the app is not listed in "all apps"?
Right click and pin to start menu

Xander51

Just took the plunge. Downloading really quick! Pleasantly surprised that the servers aren't hammered. I haven't used Windows 8 since one of the first preview builds, so I'm excited to see it.

PG2G

I'm having trouble installing from USB so I have to reinstall Windows 7 and download/create a Windows 8 disc :/

f0lken

Thanks! That does work, although not with the shortcut in question as it's a Steam game and that option doesn't appear. Any idea how to do it for Steam games?

You must search the .exe if it doesn't appear in the All apps menu and pin that

PG2G

Why didn't you check the MD5?

I dont think it's the files themselves. I actually had this issue with the preview too. When attempting to choose the drive to install to it says can't find partition. Most of the stuff I read suggests to remove other drives, sd cards, etc to fix the issue. I'm hoping my USB is causing the issue.

If not I'll just perform an upgrade from my clean W7 install

CaLe

Anyone unable to delete the "Windows.old" folder ?

I keep getting an error telling me I need permissions from TrustedInstaller, or something along those lines...

clav

Anyone unable to delete the "Windows.old" folder ?

I keep getting an error telling me I need permissions from TrustedInstaller, or something along those lines...

Use disk cleanup:

Hold 'Windows Key' and press W.

"Free up disk space"

"Clean up system files."

Check old Windows installation.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Liking my MS Touch Mouse more and more. Only issues are the occasional right click and vertical scrolling. Gestures work nice to bring up charms, multi-task and bring up the app options.

Edit: Tweaked the some of the sensitivity settings, which helped the vertical scrolling.

Top Bottom