• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 / RT |OT|

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Question (sorry if it's been answered): Can I use the cheaper upgrade disk when doing a completely fresh install?

I just ordered an SSD and plan on doing a fresh install. I have multiple legitimate Windows 7 licenses, so I should be eligible for an upgrade, but I don't think I'll bite on Windows 8 if I have to install Windows 7 first before being able to install Windows 8.

Could anyone clarify this point for me?

Quoting for new page.

Is it possible to do a fresh install with the Windows 8 Pro upgrade disc (as can be ordered from Newegg, Amazon, etc.)?

If so, how does it work? Do I just input my Windows 7 key?

derExperte

I was looking at the Video store and you can rent Prometheus, Avengers, Snow White and the Hunger Games for 0.99 cents each (in Canada).

Not here. :(

Also why can I just start typing and it starts to search in the app-store while in the video-app I have to first click on the search charm? I like W8 but there are a lot of inconsistencies even in MS' apps.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I'm a mac head but MS has done a great thing with W8. Nice work guys.

PG2G

Quoting for new page.

Is it possible to do a fresh install with the Windows 8 Pro upgrade disc (as can be ordered from Newegg, Amazon, etc.)?

If so, how does it work? Do I just input my Windows 7 key?

I downloaded the upgrade through the upgrade assistant. If you install from media it should give you the option (under Custom) to select the disk/partition, format, etc during the install. It didn't work for me, but I'm pretty sure that was the fault of my USB drive

don't see any on their site.

Can't find any on Asus site either for my laptop.

If my less than 1 year old ultrabook isn't supported by win8 trackpad magicery... I'd be one angry entitled guy.

I installed the latest Elantech and Synaptics drivers from the Acer support site, the trackpad stuff started working immediately (swipe from right for charm bar for example)

I made the mistake of copying over data from my Win7 install when upgrading to 8. Now I have a 21gig Win8 install.

Trying to find a way to trim the fat, but Google is slim pickings atm.

First, check to see if you have C:\Windows.old (this is a backup copy of Win7 in case things went wrong). To save space, run disk cleanup (just search for it in settings, keyboard shortcut is Win+W). That will delete a lot of temporary folders, and you can tell it to delete windows.old as well.

Hope that helps!

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently

Jzero

By the way if the Windows build watermark reappears on the desktop when you upgrade to Media Center all you have to do is restart again and it goes away.

Jobiensis

Just adding another case of purchasing the upgrade from RP.

I do miss Aero, desktop isn't as ugly as RP, but it is very plain and not in a good way.

Apparently I'll not be using anything Metro since MS can't get their shit together. Even if I use a non admin account Metro won't work with Admin Approval mode disabled. :/ Working without admin approval mode breaks drag and drop, and makes editing system files miserable. It's quite clear MS isn't targeting professional devs. Oh and LOL at DevStudio 2010 not being compatible, not surprising but pretty lazy from a company that used to be very pro developer.

Start8 works pretty well, unfortunately it isn't as smart as Win7 start menu, where Win+R was superfluous. I can live with it though, it is miles better than Metro for starting tasks and plays nice with RDP and logmein.

Had it all blow up with a VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE, but that hasn't repeated, could just be a funky install issue.

U2NUMB

Alright so installed Win 8 and loving it so far.

Connected my laptop to my xbox via smart glass.. first thing I did was fire up Forza Horizon. It instantly turns my laptop into a full screen real time GPS. You can see where i am on the map in real time.. I set a route in game and it shows up instantly. I can really see this being huge and I hope other devs really adopt this.

There is just something very cool about this all being so connected.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Ha! The Gizmodo Surface review made it seem like the app store was a friggen barren wasteland...

it is. I've been bitching about it for 2 days now. there is NOTHING on that store here in NL, unless I've got some kind of bunged up store on my install or something. but otherwise, it's hilariously bad in Netherlands.

So it's pointless to upgrade to Windows 8 with a 4850HD right? Heard you can't use CCC with it?

I have a 4890 and there was no drivers for a while, a 'legacy' one got released in the last 2 weeks that works for me. However it does seem to give me an error message at every shutdown. otherwise though, perfect.

it is. I've been bitching about it for 2 days now. there is NOTHING on that store here in NL, unless I've got some kind of bunged up store on my install or something. but otherwise, it's hilariously bad in Netherlands.

It's still pretty sparse here in the US. Some nice apps but nothing compared to Android/iOS yet. I mean it's kind of to be expected. Think back to when iOS app store and Android market launched...there was shit.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
By the way if the Windows build watermark reappears on the desktop when you upgrade to Media Center all you have to do is restart again and it goes away.

Cheers, I had the same issue.

Connected my laptop to my xbox via smart glass.. first thing I did was fire up Forza Horizon. It instantly turns my laptop into a full screen real time GPS. You can see where i am on the map in real time.. I set a route in game and it shows up instantly. I can really see this being huge and I hope other devs really adopt this.

Wow, that's pretty cool.

Windu

move to a non-shitty county.

First, check to see if you have C:\Windows.old (this is a backup copy of Win7 in case things went wrong). To save space, run disk cleanup (just search for it in settings, keyboard shortcut is Win+W). That will delete a lot of temporary folders, and you can tell it to delete windows.old as well.

Hope that helps!

That worked, thanks.

t-ramp

So I got a key and downloaded the RTM .iso from DreamSpark yesterday. Will probably install it on my laptop next week. I did use the early preview versions, so I mostly know what to expect. It will be nice to have my music pass integrated into the music app now, though.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I downloaded the upgrade through the upgrade assistant. If you install from media it should give you the option (under Custom) to select the disk/partition, format, etc during the install. It didn't work for me, but I'm pretty sure that was the fault of my USB drive

Hmm... If it gives you the option to format, then I assume the disc should allow me to do a fresh install.

I'm buying an SSD and was thinking about getting Windows 8 along with it, but I want to make sure I can do a completely fresh install of Windows 8 onto the SSD without having to install Windows 7 first.

Google hasn't turned up anything definitive yet...

Troll

Banned
Actually its even better than I thought. So you can see the whole map on my laptop and set a waypoint. As I watch my game it instantly puts the follow line to where I clicked on my laptop.

Very very cool!

Does it work with the demo? If so I want to try it out.

U2NUMB

Does it work with the demo? If so I want to try it out.

No idea as I am running the full game. But in order to connect to smartglass you do have to turn it on in the settings on your console. Just FYI. But once you do its amazing how everything you do is reflected in nearly real time.

Can you take a picture?

jagowar

My purchased show populated in Xbox Video when I started it up.

It got most of my stuff.... but annoyingly for some reason if I bought the 1080p version of a movie on xbox it does not appear in win8. I have only bought 2 hd movies on xbox but it would have been nice if they transferred.... I did get a few SD movies when they were on sale and all of those show on win8 (along with all my TV shows SD or HD).

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Trying to activate my W8 Pro, with the key I got from the ugprade website. Seems like it's claiming it's incorrect.

Does everyone else have W8 Pro build 9200 in the bottom right corner of the desktop?

Trying to activate my W8 Pro, with the key I got from the ugprade website. Seems like it's claiming it's incorrect.

Does everyone else have W8 Pro build 9200 in the bottom right corner of the desktop?

Yeah but it's because I just installed Windows media center which apparently does that for some reason...just have to reboot for it to go away. But my Windows is activated.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
This is frustrating. There doesn't seem to be any definitive answer about whether or not you can install Windows 8 completely clean on an empty drive using the Windows 8 Pro upgrade DVD disk.

The only information out there seems to be about some convoluted process when using the $40 digital upgrade and burning it to a disk or putting it on a USB drive.

ShadiWulf

This is frustrating. There doesn't seem to be any definitive answer about whether or not you can install Windows 8 completely clean on an empty drive using the Windows 8 Pro upgrade DVD disk.

The only information out there seems to be about some convoluted process when using the $40 digital upgrade and burning it to a disk or putting it on a USB drive.

I did a clean install with a USB drive and it never asked me for proof of having a version eligible to upgrade. I can't see why using a DVD would be any different. It's the same ISO.

Windu

I would really like someone to put together an in depth video comparison between SmartGlass and AirPlay.
smartglass is just a remote application like you have for xbmc. Airplay is like DLNA. The new xbox update supports dlna now, so when in a video app or something go to devices and select the xbox or whatever comes up. (I haven't gotten around to updating xbox and don't have any other dlna device around, so I can't test it).

Top Bottom