• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 / RT |OT|

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
FYI: To tab in Metro IE, right click anywhere on the screen.
yep.

three things people should remember when using a mouse with the new stuff.

1. use the corners
  2. right click for more options
  3. application settings will always be in the settings charm (right bar)

derExperte

No Outlook Express.

Sorry to say but trying to read your post was more frustrating than W8 probably ever will be. And the quote up there is one of a few baffling statements, OE wasn't in W7 either, it's been replaced years ago by Windows Mail from the Essentials suite: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-live/essentials-other-programs

Also log in with your MS account and disable the login screen, I posted the link somewhere above. And do you know Win+X?

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I used my desktop PC with Windows 8 for work today using photoshop, word, etc. Same workflow, but better performance. I think Windows 8 is pretty and the start screen is fun to use. It is not shitro in my opinion.

CaLe

Anyone else's right click on files is painfully slow ? The popup takes forever to open... It's driving me crazy, please tell me there's a fix ?

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
I absolutely agree with everything you wrote. I am writing this from Windows 8 and I am absolutely hating Shittro. Designing an OS for tablets and then shoving that into your PC market is like designing a new pencil and selling that for trees. What were they thinking?!

It is great...for tablets. My brother got one of those W8 tablets and it is very functional for a tablet system. However, most people do not use tablet for serious work for a reason: they are not as efficient and productive as good ol' PC's.

You can't design a bra and expect males to wear it because of your brand name. Windows 8 is clearly designed for tablets in-mind. With metro, Microsoft is trying to tab into that tablets' gold while giving the middle finger for power users.

I can handle Metro, but I do not like taking extra steps to do shit that was much easier in W7.

Such as?

Everdred

So will I seriously have to install windows 7 to install windows 8? Says my key is invalid and it's the Windows 8 Pro upgrade disk from amazon. Came with a key.

Ah shit, smooth scrolling doesn't work with my Logitech G9X in Windows 8.

Reformat went well. I'm getting much more comfortable navigating through the OS now, and big thanks to the dude who linked me the Windows 8 in 4 minutes video!

Dimorphic

So I installed W8 on my Alienware M14x last night and everything was good but some apps and Google Chrome were running slowly so as suggested I ran a refresh to get things back to normal.

Only issue is the refresh removed all of my programs, Steam, all my games, all the Alienware stuff, etc. It was not supposed to do this otherwise I wouldn't have done it. There is an IE link on my desktop now saying what it's removed.

Fark!

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I think it checks if an older Windows is installed. Then you can format and start a clean install. I read somewhere that W8 won't activate later on if you install the upgrade on a drive that was completely empty from the getgo. So it might be necessary to install an older version first.

Goddamnit...

This is what makes this thing so frustrating. So much conflicting information.

I did a fresh install just a couple of hours ago. It's a standard Win 8 Pro disc.

Did you install completely fresh (onto an empty drive), or did the installer need to detect your Win 7 install first?

edit:

Nevermind, didn't see this post before I wrote that. I'm going to pull the trigger I think.

I clean-installed with no mention of inputting a former Windows license/key with the $40 offer.

Clean install works from DVD/USB BIOS boot.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=43618799&postcount=1501

Jzero

So I installed W8 on my Alienware M14x last night and everything was good but some apps and Google Chrome were running slowly so as suggested I ran a refresh to get things back to normal.

Only issue is the refresh removed all of my programs, Steam, all my games, all the Alienware stuff, etc. It was not supposed to do this otherwise I wouldn't have done it. There is an IE link on my desktop now saying what it's removed.

Fark!
Are you sure you didn't click reset link instead of the refresh?

Windu

Fark!
refresh only keeps metro applications, not desktop. (you can create a custom refresh state though) http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2012/01/04/refresh-and-reset-your-pc.aspx

dejay

Banned
What a frustrating upgrade. It just kept quitting in the middle with a very vague message and the logs weren't much help.

After searching I found I could just do a clean install off a a bootable USB drive with the key I got when I bought the upgrade - cool, I prefer a clean start!

When attempting to install I got a message telling me it couldn't install to my SSD drive because it was MBR and it was meant to be GPT or something - so I fucked around with the HDD controller settings in BIOS and got it working. Funny, because I seem to remember having to switch these setting the other way before to get Win 7 installed on my SSD. Anyway, it's evident I have no clue, but I muddled through. Funny my family think I'm a computer genius :)

I haven't played with Win 8 since the developer preview - I really stopped reading about it, assuming it would just get better. Getting used to the control methods is slow but steady going. It's all about the corners and the context menus.

I like the xbox integration and I'm sure I'll like the integration when I get my Surface - the integration is the main reason I was excited for the Windows 8 ecosystem in the first place, so I'm glad to see it's living up to that promise so far.

My ten cent review of W8 (desktop) after one night. Nobody asked for this.

+ Quick. I have noticed my system zips along faster than before...placebo effect?

+ Stylish. This will probably be a con for tons of folks, but I find the interface appealing.

+ Easy. My wife is technologically challenged and she can handle it.

- Guts. That flicker from the Metro UI back to the basic desktop interface when loading certain programs? Janky and cheap feeling, like a gloss of paint slapped onto the existing UI.

- Driver errors. To be expected, I suppose. My Linksys wifi USB adapter wasn't recognized, and I couldn't connect to the internet to d/l the new one. Had to break out my wife's laptop to troubleshoot. Resolved.

- UI from a productivity standpoint. I mentioned it's visually appealing above. I'm not so sure it's worth the hassle. I can see myself turning it off in favor of the old UI in the near-future instead of relearning how I search for things or open programs. Old habits die hard.

f0lken

I have never seen an ad neither in the desktop nor in the start screen, and I am running Windows 8 (Consumer preview, then RTM wich I just activated today with an upgrade key) since July at least

fritolay

Ah shit, smooth scrolling doesn't work with my Logitech G9X in Windows 8.

Reformat went well. I'm getting much more comfortable navigating through the OS now, and big thanks to the dude who linked me the Windows 8 in 4 minutes video!

I just did a search for Windows 8 in 4 minutes. Great quick video to find some tricks, just what I was wanting to see, thanks!

Anyone else finding it ridiculously laggy?

Takes ages for apps/websites to load. If I right click I might as well go and make a cup of tea.

Running this off an SSD as well, any ideas?

Windu

Takes ages for apps/websites to load. If I right click I might as well go and make a cup of tea.

nope running smooth. update your video drivers. (could just be your internet)
My ten cent review of W8 (desktop) after one night. Nobody asked for this.

+ Quick. I have noticed my system zips along faster than before...placebo effect?

+ Stylish. This will probably be a con for tons of folks, but I find the interface appealing.

+ Easy. My wife is technologically challenged and she can handle it.

- Guts. That flicker from the Metro UI back to the basic desktop interface when loading certain programs? Janky and cheap feeling, like a gloss of paint slapped onto the existing UI.

- Driver errors. To be expected, I suppose. My Linksys wifi USB adapter wasn't recognized, and I couldn't connect to the internet to d/l the new one. Had to break out my wife's laptop to troubleshoot. Resolved.

- UI from a productivity standpoint. I mentioned it's visually appealing above. I'm not so sure it's worth the hassle. I can see myself turning it off in favor of the old UI in the near-future instead of relearning how I search for things or open programs. Old habits die hard.
you can adjust the animations. type in "faster" into search and click adjust animations.

Jzero

Some apps are laggy but not laggy enough to make myself a cup of coffee.
Websites load normally though.

f0lken

This laptop

http://m.bestbuy.com/m/e/product/detail.jsp?skuId=6941745&pid=121881610647

Is 750.00 at Costco. Very tempted to sell my 2011 base MacBook Air for this and hop on the windows 8 train. What kind of gaming could I do on this thing?

I probably wouldn't get an ultra book again. If I was going to get another laptop I'd get a MacBook Pro. How would this compare to a base MacBook Pro?

It has a HD4000 so it should be better than your 2011 Air for gaming, but don't expect to run Battlefield or the Witcher (I think i saw some videos running Skyrim though)

Troll

Banned
This laptop

http://m.bestbuy.com/m/e/product/detail.jsp?skuId=6941745&pid=121881610647

Is 750.00 at Costco. Very tempted to sell my 2011 base MacBook Air for this and hop on the windows 8 train. What kind of gaming could I do on this thing?

I probably wouldn't get an ultra book again. If I was going to get another laptop I'd get a MacBook Pro. How would this compare to a base MacBook Pro?

For gaming here are some benchmarks for a similar rig, the HD 4000 isn't the best card but it's possible to game.

e: I thought it had an i7, still performance should be pretty close to that.

SeanR1221

So I'd be paying more for less ram and HDD
Space but way better form factor/coolness. I'm kinda leaning towards this especially if I can sell my air for 700.00.

One last question. I can run Xbox smart glass on it right??

f0lken

Ok cool. But I could run left 4 dead or something similar?

How does it compare to surface pro? Just spec wise.

Yup, Valve or Blizzard games are super optimized so they should run more than fine, the processor seems to be the same as the SurPro, but this has more ram and more storage capacity but the one in the SurPro should be a lot faster since it uses SSD, the screen is better in the Surface (1080p IPS screen vs the shitty ones Acer always put in their laptops), and this lacks the pen stylus support.

strata8

So I'd be paying more for less ram and HDD
Space but way better form factor/coolness. I'm kinda leaning towards this especially if I can sell my air for 700.00.

One last question. I can run Xbox smart glass on it right??

The screen on the Acer is absolutely crap, though. 1366x768 regular LCD @ 15.6". The Surface Pro is 1920x1080 IPS @ 10.6".

LQX

Not sure if it is common knowledge but just found out over at SlickDeals that anyone can buy Win 8 for the $14.99. Was not going to upgrade but for $15 I might as well.

CaLe

Posting this again, someone here must have an answer... Not being able to open the contextual menu on files is an absolute deal breaker for me:

Anyone else's right click on files is painfully slow ? The popup takes forever to open... It's driving me crazy, please tell me there's a fix ?

Top Bottom